PDA

View Full Version : airport to downtown bkk

April 14th, 2008, 18:52
how long should it take in a taxi from the main airport to the tantawan hotel , and what should i expect to pay

bing
April 14th, 2008, 19:26
AOT87- This subject has been on the forum before, depending where you are coming from. It could be that you will be traveling for more than 24 hours with little or no good sleep. I have done it both ways. Got a taxi at the Airport and have had the hotel send a car for me. You do pay more for the hotel car. But your name will be printed on a card held by the driver as you exit into the terminal, and he will help you with bags to his car and drive you right to your hotel. After a long trip, I appreciate being pampered a bit. Airport taxi lines can be less than one of the fun experiences of travel.

Bob
April 15th, 2008, 04:33
Time-wise, depends on traffic. About 35 - 40 minutes if the traffic isn't too bad.

April 15th, 2008, 08:56
AOT87 - I have done the Suvarnabhumi to Silom/Suriwong taxi run multiple times, so I'm speaking from experience here.

1. Go to the "public taxi" rank which is on the same level as Arrivals. Ignore all touts who will accost you on the way there.

2. Queue to get a taxi ticket from some women manning a desk. She will ask "Where you go?". Tell her "Tarntawan Hotel, Suriwong Road"

3. Seconds after you have been issued a ticket at the head of the queue, a taxi driver will ask "Where you go?" Tell him "Tarntawan Hotel, Suriwong Road"... Don't try to be a smart alec and say "But I've just told her!" - they won't understand you. :bounce:

4. Follow him to his cab. Make a note, however tired you may be after a flight, that at this point you still have ALL your bags with you.

5. Tell the taxi driver, "Go by expressway; I pay toll." Make sure he turns on the meter. Starting rate should be 35 baht.

6. The route he takes should be one that involves going through two toll plazas. The first one should charge you 25 baht; the second one 40 baht. Total toll = 65 baht. (May be different if they raise charges in future).

7. The time taken to your hotel should be 30 - 45 minutes depending on traffic.

8. On arrival at your hotel, pay the metered fare (expect something like 200 -250 baht) plus a 50 baht airport surcharge.

In order you pay the toll charges and taxi fare+surcharge, you will obviously need at least 500 baht in small notes (20's, 50's and a couple of 100's) The toll plazas give change if you tender these denominations. Taxi drivers are best assumed to never give change. So always be prepared to pay the exact amount.

April 15th, 2008, 09:05
... savour your time traveling at breakneck speed in a cheap car and no seat belt

TrongpaiExpat
April 15th, 2008, 11:50
Good post macaroni21. With all that detail now most should not be fearful of taking a public taxi and stop waisting money on someone with their name on a sign.

One more point. The taxi desk will give you a form with the drivers name and how to file a complaint if something goes wrong. Hang on to it. Sometimes the driver will ask to see it, like there's something on it he needs to see and you don't get it back.

99% of Bangkok divers are honest and don't play scams; however, it seems that about 80% consider the the highway to be a race track.

Smiles
April 15th, 2008, 12:04
" ... it seems that about 80% consider the the highway to be a race track. ... "
Which makes the highway (toll or otherwise) no different than any other road in Thailand.

On topic though, agree with Macaroni & Trongpai on the general taxi price to Silom/Surawong area. I do believe that one of these days the Skytrain will be carried on after On Nut station in the general direction of Suvarnaphumi ... which will be a nice treat for those who just have carry on bag(s).

Number one way of getting from the airport to where you're going though, is to have a boyfriend with a vehicle and a flight number/arrival time. :blackeye: (You can easily pay the gas with a little welcome sanook!)

Cheers ...

April 15th, 2008, 12:23
The Skytrain will not be extended to the airport. The airport will be serviced by a dedicated rail link, which looks like it will be complete within the next year. Government says by the end of the year, but I somehow doubt it.

Smiles
April 15th, 2008, 15:12
Thanks for the (possibly good) info. Your last handle here wouldn't have been Boygeenyus would it?

Though in the long run, skytrain, rail, or subway ... makes no difference to me, as long as it adds variety to the ways one can get in and out of the place, besides pushing through the gauntlet of sweaty fat touts (why do they all look alike?), or jumping in 'no meter' cabs.

Cheers ...

April 15th, 2008, 15:52
No, I am a genuine new member. Thanks for the welcome, though. Should I feel flattered or insulted?

April 15th, 2008, 21:20
Should I feel flattered or insulted?Warned

TrongpaiExpat
April 15th, 2008, 22:52
Thanks for the (possibly good) info. Your last handle here wouldn't have been Boygeenyus would it?

Though in the long run, skytrain, rail, or subway ... makes no difference to me, as long as it adds variety to the ways one can get in and out of the place, besides pushing through the gauntlet of sweaty fat touts (why do they all look alike?), or jumping in 'no meter' cabs.

Cheers ...

News must travel slowly down there in Hua Hin. Have you heard that Yul Brynner is no longer the King?

www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/141 (http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/141)