PDA

View Full Version : Drinking in Sunee Plaza

Jamez777
April 12th, 2008, 11:01
Greetings

Last night, I went on an extended tour of sunee plaza by shuffling through the bars and soaking up the ambience. As an avowed tea-totaller I consume orange juice (OJ) by the orchard, rather than downing beer or spirits. In each bar, the standard and fixed price for an OJ was 120 Baht -which I thought was a bit steep, and much higher than most bars charge for either beer or other more exotic mixtures. I know that each bar must pay its own way, but even so I think asking for almost $ 4 USD for a small glass of juice is a bit over the top !!!

I thought of buying a plastic cup and taking my own OJ from bar to bar as I graduallly and slowly stumlbe around the sois in that plaza. Somehow ,though, I don't think this will work. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can keep my bodily liquids up, while visiting many bars without breaking the bank ??

April 12th, 2008, 11:26
Alas, $4 OJ is now just the cost of doing business.

I look on my bi-annual Thailand trips as a "Splurge".
I live like a Miser in the USA and, twice a year, spend like a Sailor in Thailand.

Diec
April 12th, 2008, 11:30
Thailand ain't cheap anymore. Drinks and admission prices rival those of New York. Even the food in hotels has doubled in price over the last few years. I have seen freelancers go with up to as many as 5 tricks a day. At 750 baht a trick, they make more than I do in the US.

April 12th, 2008, 12:29
For what it's worth, why not sit at Duc's bar, next door to sundance, and facing la Rouge (or something like that), pot of tea 50 baht, and soft drinks pretty similar. Watch the comings and goings of the bars in the open air, aside the fact Duc is a brilliant host.
If you feel badly done to with OJ at that price, how do you think the water drinkers feel, when they have to pay the same price!!

allieb
April 12th, 2008, 12:30
120 Baht is $10 now at the present exchange rate but it was $3 last year. They have to serve you and clean your glass after you leave as well as you taking up space in their bar. Orange juice is also quite expensive to buy in the supermarkets more so than fizzy drinks.

Start drinking alcohol and get more benefit for less money.

April 12th, 2008, 14:27
120 Baht is $10 now at the present exchange rate but it was $3 last year. .

In fact $US10 is 315 Thai Baht.

DiamondDog-old
April 12th, 2008, 19:16
If you feel badly done to with OJ at that price, how do you think the water drinkers feel, when they have to pay the same price!!
Agree! I've no complaint over the beer prices at many of the bars. 70-90B for a big bottle is good value and all the owners I've met have been really nice guys. My b/f doesn't touch alcohol though and (overpricing of water aside) there's only so much water he can drink in a night. As a result, if we bar hop and he has to buy a drink in each bar, he buys a beer too and I drink it for him.
Come to think of it, it's not too bad an arrangement :drunken:

Shuee
April 12th, 2008, 19:30
i find it hard to have drink after drink in my stomach, as i seek through the bars, but you are paying for the views also of the stage & taking up a seat also you cannot sit for free for long, for every 2 gogo bars you visit on the 3rd bar maybe sit at an outside bar, where you will pay around half the price.....

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 12th, 2008, 19:41
think of it as an (extremely small ) entry fee to the club to hopefully re-coup some of the costs the owners have incurred to bring you entertainment.

Anywhere else in the world you would have to pay 20 times that to enter a similar nightclub and it would be full of dull people and not a go go dancer in sight.

make the most of it while it lasts!! 120 baht ?? you should be so lucky...

Narakmak
April 12th, 2008, 19:58
Where in the world do they charge 2000 baht for a water at a gay bar with no go go dancers? That is silly.

April 12th, 2008, 21:02
think of it as an (extremely small ) entry fee to the club to hopefully re-coup some of the costs the owners have incurred to bring you entertainment.Not according to fools like Snowkat. According to him the bar owners are making exhorbitant profits. Common sense, let alone economic theory, says that in order to maintain those prices simply because they can would require all the bar owners to band together and any and every newcomer who thought that they could increase the attractiveness of their bar by charging lower prices would somehow magically decide otherwise. Clearly he often goes to Pattaya and whatever's in the water there that rots the brain's ability to think logically has a long-lasting effect on him

April 12th, 2008, 21:52
Diec wrote:

Thailand ain't cheap anymore. Drinks and admission prices rival those of New York. Even the food in hotels has doubled in price over the last few years. I have seen freelancers go with up to as many as 5 tricks a day. At 750 baht a trick, they make more than I do in the US.

Thailand is not as cheap as it use to be. The falling "Bush dollar" does not help the situation. I dare say, costs are still much cheaper than New York, Chicago, or LA. That freelancer that goes with five fat, smelly farangs a day, earns every baht.

francois
April 12th, 2008, 22:13
Greetings

I thought of buying a plastic cup and taking my own OJ from bar to bar as I graduallly and slowly stumlbe around the sois in that plaza. Somehow ,though, I don't think this will work. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I can keep my bodily liquids up, while visiting many bars without breaking the bank ??

James, I think if you are "soaking up" the ambiance and "stumbling" around the sois, there is something more than OJ in that cup!
Bringing a drink into a bar is something the Russians seem to attempt. Very poor manners.

I alternate between an alcoholic drink and a nam soda as I go from bar to bar and often do not finish them. The price of a drink is the admission charge no matter what type of beverage. Others have given some good suggestions. Enjoy.

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 12th, 2008, 22:38
Where in the world do they charge 2000 baht for a water at a gay bar with no go go dancers? That is silly.

and where in the world do you get a bar now with go go dancers..water or no water ?

I guess you haven't been to nightclubs in New York lately ( $60 entrance) or London (20 pounds) Sydney ($30 ) or let's try Moscow ($100)..God only knows' what the drinks cost..water I think would set you back about 60 bucks for a bottle of perrier ( small one). Sure the decor will be sensational but fuck that..it's what's on offer that matters.

Like I said..make the most of it while it lasts which won't be forever.

April 12th, 2008, 23:44
The drinking situation in Thailand tends to frustrate me quite a bit after the first couple of days or so. It seems that everywhere you go, and everything you do, at some point involves sitting down and ordering a drink. Now, I fully accept that this is how the establishments that I'm sitting at make their money, so this isn't intended to be a criticism in any way, but that doesn't take away the fact that I often find my mouth ordering a drink while my brain is screaming at me that I don't bloody need nor want another bloody drink. Alcoholic or not.

I don't mind alcoholic drinks, and often enjoy a few beers, but the irony with alcohol and Thailand for me, is that I find sex quite dull if I've had a few. I don't tend to enjoy sex half as much if I'm a bit 'merry' on alcohol, as I do if I'm completely sober. If I've gone way overboard and am in possession of a gold membership card to the 'Certified Drunk' league of friends, then I suffer hugely from Brewers Droop, which is at best shameful, and at least, a complete waste of both mine and the boys time, let alone money, (well, not quite a waste of the boys time then) but even if I'm just a bit merry and the cogs are still oiled and working down there, I still find myself drifting off and thinking that I should have bought that nice shirt I saw in Royal Garden Plaza earlier after all, and wondering if they'll still have it tomorrow, whilst occasionally remembering that I've currently got one of my organs placed inside somebody.

Alcohol and sex don't seem to fit very well with me, and never has. Which I think is why I get so frustrated at being asked to order a drink everywhere I go. I try to stick to soft drinks until I've decided that I'm not going to have any more sex for that night, but even then, there's only so much tea/water/orange juice a man can take. And what frustrates me more, is when you go somewhere, order a drink that you didn't want in the first place, then realise that none of the boys take your fancy anyway, and want to leave. Do I stay to try and drink the drink I didn't want, or just leave the drink and go, wasting my money on a drink that I not only didn't want, but didn't even bother to drink?

Yes, the drinking situation does perplex me somewhat in Thailand.

allieb
April 13th, 2008, 00:16
120 Baht is $10 now at the present exchange rate but it was $3 last year. .

In fact $US10 is 315 Thai Baht.

Sorry meant 120 baht is $4

April 13th, 2008, 01:03
How would you feel dancing on stage in your knickers for some old fart who moans about the price of an OJ. If you cant aford it dont go.

April 13th, 2008, 05:05
How would you feel dancing on stage in your knickers for some old fart who moans about the price of an OJ. If you cant aford it dont go.Thank god original insights are still being posted here

Lunchtime O'Booze
April 13th, 2008, 13:51
The drinking situation in Thailand tends to frustrate me quite a bit .....Yes, the drinking situation does perplex me somewhat in Thailand.

well it keeps me quite sane.

but you are right..everyone wants a slice of you and who can blame them as we are just a giant walking cash machine and we are just greedy children in a big lolly shop wanting all the brown ones !

it's because we have no control over our appetites but let's face it-as I see you come from the UK-do you get better value for you buck in Soho ( yuk!..once it was fabulous) or Pattaya ??

April 13th, 2008, 21:49
That freelancer that goes with five fat, smelly farangs a day, earns every baht.A spot of self-hatred there?

April 13th, 2008, 22:00
MonkeySee wrote:
That freelancer that goes with five fat, smelly farangs a day, earns every baht.

Homintern wrote:
A spot of self-hatred there?

Telling it like it is.

April 14th, 2008, 04:08
Telling it like it is.Ah, so self-hatred then

April 15th, 2008, 06:07
Homi wrote:

Oh, so self-hatred then

May I borrow your "rose-colored glasses."

April 15th, 2008, 08:16
May I borrow your "rose-colored glasses."You may rent them. Please make a large offer

April 15th, 2008, 09:45
My favorite thing to do in Sunee is to sit out at an open bar and just people watch. Its like a circus there, you see everything. A coke is 40 baht and a gin and tonic is 85 baht. Where can you go and have so much to see for such a small fee? I don't complain about pricing in a bar as they have to be able to make it and pay the bills and staff and again the price is very resonable for the entertainment . If you don't like the service and charges then find a place you do like. If you can't afford it then there are other options but don't critize the bars for trying to earn a living in a decling economy.

ceejay
April 15th, 2008, 13:28
Homi wrote:

Oh, so self-hatred then

May I borrow your "rose-colored glasses."

I haven't been here long, but Homintern with rose-coloured glasses? Thats the best joke I've heard here yet!!!

It's maybe not the glasses MonkeySee - I think it's his eyes

April 17th, 2008, 06:48
In 1982 (give a year or two), Soho in London had boy strip bars. The entry fee was fairly high. Nor was it as entertaining as the go-go bars in Thailand. I went to them, paid the entry price for my entertainment, and had an enjoyable time. When considered in the ratio of money spent to time used, I thought it was good value.

I cannot understand why so many posters complain about the cost of the drinks they purchase in Thailand's go-go bars, or even feel obliged to consume same until their faculties are dimmed.

Over the past 15 years I have visited Bangkok, Pattaya, Chang Mai and Pucket. I have visited go-go bars in all of them and paid the going price for drinks. I look upon it as I did all those years ago in Soho. I was having an enjoyable time feasting my eyes on what I considered to be beautiful, exciting, somewhat 'naughty', but above all, pleasurable. I don't mind the price I pay because I think it is reasonable and I want it to continue. I expect the bar to make a profit and I must contribute part of that. At times when I've been the only customer I wonder how much longer that bar would survive. Is the price of a drink extortionate when the overheads are considered and the customers few? In London, now, the price of a pint of beer is in the region of Bt150-200, and that is just an ordinary pub. Nobody seems to be objecting, if the number of drinkers and the level of drunkenness at these establishments is anything to go by. Let's be fair, Bt200 for a drink (and most nurse these for ages) for an evening enjoying what we can't at home seems to me fair. Where else can I spend an evening ogling (and sometimes feeling) beautiful near naked young boys for the cost of 2 or three drinks at approximately Bt600 (or ┬г10, $5)? ┬г per hour I think that is good value. Throw in a show or two as a bonus and what is there to complain about? I know everything in Thailand is cheaper and by Thai prices a bit high, but if the day comes when I find myself bitching about spending Bt600 for an enjoyable evening's entertainment, that will be when I'll stay at home.

I get over the problem of drinking vast quantities and becoming more and more incapable as the evening progresses by drinking whisky nam. It must be in the region of 95 parts nam to 5 parts whisky. It keeps me sober and should a boy take my fancy I know I will be able to perform when I get him on the bed.

Is the price of drinks in the bars a rip off? I don't think so. I see it as a fair price paid for an interesting and enjoyable evening and more akin to an entrance fee than the cost of an individual drink.

bing
April 17th, 2008, 08:57
Hi, I don't know you but what you say resonates with me. The cost is equated with how much fun I'm having at a particular bar. I don't think the Krazy Dragon charges enough for all the good times I have there. Knowing how much the drinks cost at the Boxing Bar on Walking Street, I tend to set up a boxer to a coke. The good ones don't drink much beer. My favorite one, does 1500 sit ups every day and takes great pride in his rock hard abs. My favorite waitresses like to sip the pink little nothings for which they get a nice cut. But spending the better part of the evening watching exciting ( at least to me) boxing matches, and spreading a few baht around for the winners. It seldom goes over 800 baht. As you say, when that breaks the bank, then it is time to sit in an easy chair and remember the good times. Again, I'll pass on the secret of a great vacation,( at least for me) spend money like it is monopoly money, when you run out get some more. Darn, with the ratio of dollar to baht I will have to stock up on lots of monopoly money. While on the subject of good times. What comes to mind is a trip to Sansuk Sauna - I consider Punya friend- but if you find a young man to you liking, invite him to the 3rd floor bar. and recline on one of the couches and order a couple of drinks, heck most of the guys wrapped in a towel look great, (again I don't think they charge enough for the drinks) but that is another story. With the waterfalls in the background and the open sky over the pool, and red and blue lights over the seating area, you could do a lot worse for an early evening. The restaurant is on the first floor but if you are having an above average time, order supper and they will happily haul it up to you in this under the stars delight. You could do a lot worse, and I'm sure most of us have. Now it could be the Half and Half talking, (Guinness and Heineken) but I still look on Pattaya as the best place to vacation in the world, at least as much of the world as I have yet experienced. I also subscribe the the Garrison Keeler philosophy of life, that postulates that as a Lutheran I don't have to have the good times all the time, but I do like to have the good time sometimes.

April 17th, 2008, 13:26
Many posters like to compare the price of what they pay in Pattaya to prices they pay in the UK or USA and criticise those that think prices are high in Pattaya or Bangkok. They do this without thinking about the different expenses compared to Thailand.

Many bars pay 2000 to 3000 a month for their staff. They deduct from that if staff is late, takes more than 1 day off. They may provide room or a meal, but some deduct something for the room from that salary. How does this compare to salaries in the USA or UK for staff?

Rent for some bars is only 7000 - 9000 a month in Pattaya. In the USA or UK pay that musch a day.

Insurance and employees taxes in the USA and Uk are very high. How do you think this compares to Pattaya?

Some people that have been visiting Thailand for many years have seen the past prices for drinks rise much faster than increase in costs. I think that is what the citicism is about. The thing that most of us enjoy; the staff that works at the bars, have received little to none of the increase in drink prices. Most of the additonal profit has gone to the owners only...sort ofl ike the CEO of companies getting high salaries while the workers in USA and UK are laid off or must survive on lower salaries.

It is ironic. I see some that write they have no problem paying the cost of drinks because they get so much enjoyment. But some of the same people will touch staff, watch them chuck wow in shows, sit and talk with them and then give nothing or 20 baht. How many would support a policy at the bars where when you talk a boy you pay a minimum of 150 baht to the boy in addition to the drink? Or a policy that if you want to see the show at (old) Kaos, you MUST put 200 baht into the "hat" that will be split by the boys at the end of the show? I see people that won't even put in 20 baht that Think "Oh, I paid for my drink. Why give more?" The answer to all this is that those we love to see at the bars are not really getting their fair share of that higher drink price.

Just a different view!

April 17th, 2008, 13:47
Yes I have a suggestion for you don't go if you cant afford it, your paying to see under age boys strutting there stuff on a stage 3 feet from your dangling dripping lustful tongue.

Get a life, and if your useless dollar doesn't now go far enough here mow go home and see how far it gets you there.

April 17th, 2008, 16:43
Most of the additonal profit has gone to the owners only...sort ofl ike the CEO of companies getting high salaries while the workers in USA and UK are laid off or must survive on lower salaries.
It is ironic. I see some that write they have no problem paying the cost of drinks because they get so much enjoyment. But some of the same people will touch staff, watch them chuck wow in shows, sit and talk with them and then give nothing or 20 baht.
Just a different view!

PM,

at the risk of bringing unwarranted criticism down on you by association, your view matches mine (except for the shows, which I would pay to avoid!).

April 18th, 2008, 02:51
I have always tipped the boys. Furthermore, once the word gets around that someone is tipping the boys flock like wasps around a honeypot. I love it and am happy to pay them for their effort. Those who sit with me or make a special effort to get my attention when they are on the stage are compensated. I will have a covert feel but do not wank the boy sitting near me. I have more respect for his feelings, and would feel embarrassed to be seen doing so. Nor do I frequent bars that have obviously underage boys dancing.

In the old days of Crazy Dragon I used to stock up on Bt20 notes before I hit the bar and never objected to handing them out to the performers. Bt20 is what? ┬г0.30 If every performer was given Bt20 it was a cheap price to pay for what I considered the nearest thing to heaven on this earth.

The price of the drink is what I said earlier, the entrance fee to the entertainment. In London the cost of a night out is extortionate and I couldn't afford to go out every night. In Thailand I can afford to and that is why I am happy to pay the going rate.

As a footnote: A boy in London cost the equivalent of BT7000 for an hour. For that kind of money in Thailand I have a wonderful night out with beautiful young boys, am able to off one and spend the night with him, and still have change.

April 18th, 2008, 09:19
I'm 100% with your analysis Pattaya Male. With all of the price increases in the cost of drinks the boys are the ones that are getting screwed: in not a good way. I often see Cheap Charlies paying the higher prices for drinks; they then deduct the added cost of the drinks from the tip that is left for the boys. It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly insensitive some farang can be to both the emotional and financial needs of the young men that work in the bars to bring some pleasure into the lives of old farts. Then again, people that drink too much rarely care about much beyond themselves...so no surprise really.

If you can't afford to give the boys a decent tip....stay home, and make a charitable contribution to your savings account. Then when your return to Pattaya and Sunee you will be in a better position to have "jai dee".

jimnbkk
April 18th, 2008, 20:33
I sure agree with Soi 10 Tom. I buy them a drink, and when I leave I give them 100 Baht tip. They're happy and even escort me to the door sometimes. They're happy to see me when I return; and old fart that I am, I'm delighted! I'm heading back to the LOS next month, already dreaming about reunions with favorite boys. I'll bet with the tourist season over they'll be even more delighted to see me.

By the way, May 3 and 4 is another election??? Bars closed? What's the real scoop?

Shuee
April 20th, 2008, 19:53
after having a lovely fresh fruit milkshake at panaramas in BT with a alcohol liquor added to it, i'm still to find an outside bar in sunny where i can do the same, any ideas??

April 20th, 2008, 20:03
go to euro boys boys pay all the boys to jack off into a tall glass add fruit of choice and tia maria, shake glass and you have your shake.............enjoy

Shuee
April 20th, 2008, 20:42
at the moment euro bois suck.....

April 20th, 2008, 21:53
Anyone who opened a bar in London with cute 20 something Asians parading around in white underpants :geek:
would charge much more than 2~300 bt for drinks.

ceejay
April 20th, 2008, 22:38
Anyone who opened a bar in London with cute 20 something Asians parading around in white underpants :geek:
would charge much more than 2~300 bt for drinks.

Try to imagine an Asian opening a bar in London with cute white 20 somethings parading around in their underpants.................

April 20th, 2008, 23:07
Try to imagine an Asian opening a bar in London with cute white 20 somethings parading around in their underpants.................

Well... the English man who took these photos found a cute white 20 something parading around in his underpants but he had to go to New York City.

Ta-ta!

April 20th, 2008, 23:25
Come to think of it, I wish I could find a 20 something this cute in Sunee. Maybe I should try to get a visa for America and ask for Number 22 in New York City.

April 20th, 2008, 23:53
Ooh er... :tongue1: very cute.

More please!

Only in my dreams would he join me in bed for 1000 bt.