PDA

View Full Version : what does " Bangkok " mean ?

March 2nd, 2006, 10:51
the full Thai name of the place we call Bangkok is :тАЬKrung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam PrasitтАЭ. I suggest you tell immigration that's where your'e travelling to next time so they don't think your'e up to funny business.

For the record, it means тАЬThe city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.тАЭ

Up2U
March 2nd, 2006, 12:26
"what does "Bangkok" mean."... According to this Website, Bangkok = Village of Island

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/9149/bangkok.html

March 2nd, 2006, 14:11
I've been told that some time ago a song was recorded - and the lyrics were just the long name of the city - would love to download it if anyone has the link

March 2nd, 2006, 14:37
Bangkok means "village of the wild plum". The name is derived from 17th century Western maps, which referred to the city (or town as it then was) as Bancok. This name was only superceded by Krungthep in 1782, and so the Western name has deeper historical roots.

for more information, including where i directly copied this from, see http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/th-10.html. I had the history verified from my Thai friend Pim who is a student at Chula, so I believe it.

Smiles
March 2nd, 2006, 20:22
But I believe it is properly spelled as one word, and thus looks even more daunting:

"Krungthepmahanakhonamonrattanakosinmahintharaayuth ayamahadilokphopnoppharatratchathaniburiromudomrat chaniwetmahasathanamonpimanawatansathitsakkathatti yawitsanukamprasit"

Cheers ...

Up2U
March 2nd, 2006, 23:42
Interesting. We now have two websites that seem to know what they're talking about (both refer to 17th century Western maps) and we have two different meanings for Bangkok.

March 3rd, 2006, 09:16
When I was around 10 years old, kids would say, "what's the capital of Thailand"? If the other kid said "I don't knowew", the fisrst kid would yell out bangkok and punch the other kid's cock. Mybe I grew up in a depraved neighborhood. :geek: