PDA

View Full Version : Arriving in Bangkok at 2300 - too late for Pattaya?

April 3rd, 2008, 20:02
I'll be arriving in Bangkok at 2300 a day after Songkran. Is it too late to get to Pattaya at that time, not for the night life, but to avoid staying in Bangkok for a night. What's the best way of getting to Pattaya from Suvanabhumi at that late hour?

Can anyone confirm that 19 April is the last day of Songkran in Pattaya? Cheers.

April 3rd, 2008, 21:07
I'll be arriving in Bangkok at 2300 a day after Songkran. Is it too late to get to Pattaya at that time, not for the night life, but to avoid staying in Bangkok for a night. What's the best way of getting to Pattaya from Suvanabhumi at that late hour?

Can anyone confirm that 19 April is the last day of Songkran in Pattaya? Cheers.

Yes,

It finishes at 7.00pm on the 19th. Afer that you will just get the stragglers and drunks throwing the odd bit around.

Limousines are available inside the terminal and you have metered taxis in a queue outside the terminal.

TrongpaiExpat
April 4th, 2008, 01:42

Isn't it a dam shame that you can't fly directly into Pattaya and forgo the rest of Thailand. I wait for the day Pattaya becomes it's own country and then we will not have to suffer all the inconveniences of the rest of Thailand. Don't get me started on this Songkran nonsense.

Mother Button do you have a son that goes by the first name of Gay?

Jetsam
April 4th, 2008, 01:55

Isn't it a dam shame that you can't fly directly into Pattaya and forgo the rest of Thailand. I wait for the day Pattaya becomes it's own country and then we will not have to suffer all the inconveniences of the rest of Thailand. Don't get me started on this Songkran nonsense.

hear hear , that damn tourist trap temples and other time and money consuming things in what they call Thailand are just a waste of time. Direct flights to Pattaya and if there is still place for an airstrip near boyztown or Sunee Plaza it would be Ideal.

April 4th, 2008, 02:14
[quote=Direct flights to Pattaya and if there is still place for an airstrip near boyztown or Sunee Plaza it would be Ideal.

This would be a stroke of genius! I can only add that we should also have non-stop flights from London, Paris, Berlin, New York, Los Angeles and Oklahoma City direct to Boyztown and Sunee! As they did in Hong Kong we can build the airstrip right on the water.

Brad the Impala
April 4th, 2008, 02:19
Mother Button do you have a son that goes by the first name of Gay?

Mother, welcome, and just wondered how you happened to choose such a "handle"?

bing
April 4th, 2008, 04:31
There are a lot of flights that land around the midnight hour. For those arriving from the USA, it is the end of 24 hours or more of travel. The last thing I want to do is look for a cab or limo. I strongly suggest you email your hotel and have them arrange a hotel taxi to pick you up. As you leave the customs area with your bags you go to the left and will find a driver with your name written on a card. He will help schlep your bags to the car. I have done it both ways, making my own taxi choice from the airport and also being whisked away in the hotel taxi. Now I would not arrive without having a taxi waiting for me. Now a disclaimer, I mentioned how frazzeled I am when exiting the plane after such a long trip. My next trip in several months from now will be assisted by Ambien CR, I mentioned this frustration to my doctor during my last physical, and he nodded knowingly, left the room without saying anything and returned a minute later with two boxes of Ambien CR. Two sample pills in each box. He gave me the boxes and said something about letting him know if it makes the flight more enjoyable. I do not take sleeping pills but a couple of heinekens just don't help with sleep on a plane. I think it has more to do with my being so psyched about the trip to Pattaya that sleep eludes me. As I sit in front of the computer now, I can rationalize that being so exited as to loose sleep is an immature response to the situation of travel. Ah but in the excitment of the moment of travel I know my eyes will be wide open. I will not only let the good doctor know if his pills did the job, I will report on my sleeping pattern on the next trip.

April 4th, 2008, 05:17

90% of the time I arrive at this time. I have always headed straight off to Pattaya. Usually I have the hotel have a driver waiting for me. He takes my bags, I tap the ATM, and off we go. We usually stop midway at a Family Mart for refreshments and typically get to Pattaya around 0200 to 0230. Check in, a nice shower and off to bed makes for an end to a long trip.

As an alternative you can book a car and driver at the airport, but this sometimes results in short wait at the airport.

April 4th, 2008, 16:25
. Check in, a nice shower and off to bed makes for an end to a long trip.

As an alternative you can book a car and driver at the airport, but this sometimes results in short wait at the airport.

Now, is this epic with the driver or someone else??

April 4th, 2008, 17:03
Well there is a friend who meets me and helps with the shower and...

lonelywombat
April 4th, 2008, 17:34

Are you flying in from Oz The ETA is often later than actual arrival time Get organized to get off the plane and walk fast fast to immigration. Don't bust your gut as you have to wait for bags. I always have taxi waiting for me and you can arrive before 1AM Your question should be what is open after 1 AM.

last trip I arrived in Pattaya just after midnight,it depends on when your aircraft actually takes off, headwinds or tailwinds and how many aircraft in approach. It is all luck, but having a taxi waiting for you saves a night. You still need a qick change.

Not all bars in Sunee are closed, Cafe Royale is open, so is Bondi. My last trip I went to Maya at 3AM .Look for the threads of the discos that operate after 3AM. They are there.

HawaiiBoy
April 4th, 2008, 17:37
Not all hotels have limo service. I have my favorite independent service, Phon Taxi in Pattaya. He had never failed me. I book by email, (gemsphon@loxinfo.co.th) being careful to specify the date and the hour in military time (i.e., 11:30 pm being 23:30) so there is no confusion. When I come out of customs, there is the driver waiting with my name on the sign.

I'll never forget the time I was traveling with two friends (newbies) and as the hotel staff helped us with our bags at 2 in the morning I blurted out, "Do you suppose there would be any way of getting a massage at this ungodly hour? Within 5 minutes there was a cute lad in my room, stripping down and taking a preparatory shower. Over breakfast the next morning my two friends were just a bit hostel. They didn't think I was serious and had gone to bed....alone.

Phon's cell phone is 01-7616455. On one rare occasion my flight was early and the driver was not there when I arrived. A cell call confirmed he was minutes away and all was well.

April 4th, 2008, 18:36
You asked:
"Arriving in Bangkok at 2300 - too late for Pattaya?
I'll be arriving in Bangkok at 2300 a day after Songkran. Is it too late to get to Pattaya at that time, not for the night life, but to avoid staying in Bangkok for a night. What's the best way of getting to Pattaya from Suvanabhumi at that late hour? Can anyone confirm that 19 April is the last day of Songkran in Pattaya? Cheers."

Answer:
Don't go to Bangkok the bars are all closing at 1am sharp (by police) go directly to Pattaya by taxi the official closing time in Pattaya is 2am but the bars stay open as long as they have customers.

April 4th, 2008, 22:02
Thanks for the taxi firm recommendation.
What is the normal cost from airport to Pattaya?

April 4th, 2008, 23:29
I should think it should be around 1,200 baht.

April 4th, 2008, 23:56
I'll never forget the look on the Thai Limousine drivers face back in 1986 time (he picked me up at the old Bkk Airport for the trip to Pattaya) I was booked into the Homex Inn and as we pulled up in the court yard there were a dozen or so half naked boys playing volley ball who immediately surrounded the car hoping to grab an early customer. The drivers eyes just popped out of his head and he didn't know where to look.......Mmmmm what a way to start a holiday, quick check in then straight into a shower with one of the readily available greeters......such a pity the Homex eventually closed its doors due to being taken over and ruined by a Lady-boy manager and Thai owners in Bangkok. How many of you guys remember the place in it's hey-day, and have similar memories?

April 5th, 2008, 00:29

Are you flying in from Oz The ETA is often later than actual arrival time Get organized to get off the plane and walk fast fast to immigration. Don't bust your gut as you have to wait for bags. I always have taxi waiting for me and you can arrive before 1AM Your question should be what is open after 1 AM.

last trip I arrived in Pattaya just after midnight,it depends on when your aircraft actually takes off, headwinds or tailwinds and how many aircraft in approach. It is all luck, but having a taxi waiting for you saves a night. You still need a qick change.

Not all bars in Sunee are closed, Cafe Royale is open, so is Bondi. My last trip I went to Maya at 3AM .Look for the threads of the discos that operate after 3AM. They are there.

Thanks but as I said, I'm not going directly to Pattaya for the nightlife. Just want to get to my hotel, have a shower and go to bed and wake up to the sound of the ocean the next morning (or the view at least!).

Cheers all for the tips and suggestions. How much does Phon Taxi charge?

sjaak327
April 5th, 2008, 01:05
The horror of staying in Bangkok. I'm just happy that Suvarnabhumi is not in Pattaya, otherwise I would be in the same boat as you, tyring to get the helll out of dodge.

You should try staying at Bangkok once in a while, it's actualy there where the Thai culture can be witnessed, not in the disneyland that is pattaya.

Anyway, why not get a taxi from the taxi stand outside of the terminal, it's going to cost you 1300 baht to Pattaya.

April 5th, 2008, 01:44
On my last trip to Thailand, I got to Bangkok airport at about 7am, and as I had all day, and very little luggage, I decided to take the bus down to Pattaya. While waiting at the airport bus stop for a bus to Ekamai (the main bus terminal for Pattaya) I was approached by a taxi driver who tried for several minutes to talk me into taking a taxi with him. He dropped his price from 15000B down to 10000B. I had already decided I wanted to take the bus, not for financial reasons, but just wanting the experience of it, and kept telling him no thank you.

Several minutes later, he came back and offered to take me for 700B. Again I said no thank you, as it wasn't about the money, but I was left wondering afterwards how he could have dropped the price so low, and if there could have been anything suspicious about it, or if he could have possibly had some kind of ulterior motive? I've never heard of anyone going from Bangkok to Pattaya by taxi for 700 Baht. Completely innocent or did I have a lucky escape?

April 5th, 2008, 03:35
[quote="Mother Button":2n6qgrbx]I'll be arriving in Bangkok at 2300 a day after Songkran. Is it too late to get to Pattaya at that time, not for the night life, but to avoid staying in Bangkok for a night. What's the best way of getting to Pattaya from Suvanabhumi at that late hour?

Thanks but as I said, I'm not going directly to Pattaya for the nightlife. Just want to get to my hotel, have a shower and go to bed and wake up to the sound of the ocean the next morning (or the view at least!).

Cheers all for the tips and suggestions. How much does Phon Taxi charge?[/quote:2n6qgrbx]

Ha, don't to be sarcastic, but it seems you have chosen the wrong destination. Sound of the ocean. I would not count on that. Or the view in the morning. Well maybe in Jomtien (never stayed there), but I doubt. I don't know if you have been to Pattaya before, but if you are thinking Pattaya is like you write, I am sure you will be very disappointed. Take a break for some days in Bangkok, and then decide where you want to go. If it is a place with the sound of the ocean and a look at it, I am sure you can find other places in Thailand.

April 5th, 2008, 12:03
Ha, don't to be sarcastic, but it seems you have chosen the wrong destination. Sound of the ocean. I would not count on that. Or the view in the morning. Well maybe in Jomtien (never stayed there), but I doubt. I don't know if you have been to Pattaya before, but if you are thinking Pattaya is like you write, I am sure you will be very disappointed. Take a break for some days in Bangkok, and then decide where you want to go. If it is a place with the sound of the ocean and a look at it, I am sure you can find other places in Thailand.

No sarcasm intended. If my straight forward questions hit a raw nerve as to your motivations for visiting Thailand, then that's your problem, not mine. I have plenty of time during my trip to visit the bars, go sightseeing, appreciate Thai culture, etc. Can't and don't wish to do all that on my first night. I like to take it slow and easy and start off by lazing on the beach, getting massages, manicures, pedicures, sipping coconut... There are many nice beach-front hotels in Naklua and Jomtien in case you didn't know.

TrongpaiExpat
April 5th, 2008, 12:31
While waiting at the airport bus stop for a bus to Ekamai (the main bus terminal for Pattaya) I was approached by a taxi driver who tried for several minutes to talk me into taking a taxi with him. He dropped his price from 15000B down to 10000B. I had already decided I wanted to take the bus, not for financial reasons, but just wanting the experience of it, and kept telling him no thank you.

Several minutes later, he came back and offered to take me for 700B. Again I said no thank you, as it wasn't about the money, but I was left wondering afterwards how he could have dropped the price so low, and if there could have been anything suspicious about it,

I don't know that Ekkamai is the "main bus terminal for Pattaya", it's one of three that have buses to Pattaya. The Southern Terminal and Mor Chit have Pattaya bound buses too. Mor Chit seem to have newer buses.

I am not sure who or what those touts want but the minute they see a farang at Ekkamai you either get the "where you go" or "Pattaya?" I wave them off and don't speak either English or Thai to them. Never had one get aggressive with me. Go directly to the window clearly marked Pattaya, first window to the right, facing the building.

Some people have told me they take you to a mini bus parked behind the terminal, other say they tout the non-AC bus to Pattaya and other say it's a free lance taxi. I don't think that you will end up floating in Pattaya Bay but when anyone singles you out for being farang, and makes an offer that sounds too good, it's generally not.

April 5th, 2008, 12:37

No sarcasm intended. If my straight forward questions hit a raw nerve as to your motivations for visiting Thailand, then that's your problem, not mine. I have plenty of time during my trip to visit the bars, go sightseeing, appreciate Thai culture, etc. Can't and don't wish to do all that on my first night. I like to take it slow and easy and start off by lazing on the beach, getting massages, manicures, pedicures, sipping coconut... There are many nice beach-front hotels in Naklua and Jomtien in case you didn't know.

Mother
I don't know if you hit a nerve, I was just suggesting you not to go to Pattaya for the sound of the ocean. You will not found it there. Waking or sleaping to the waves of the sea, I love it, but have never found it in Pattaya. That you like it slow I understand very much. That is why I suggested you to take a nap for one or two nights in bkk, have some massage (Maybe in Malaysia Hotel), they are quite professional. Have some fun in Silom Soi 2 and 4, Relax, enjoy, take some days in Pattaya, and then go to the real beaches. A bungalow on the seafront on Koh Samet, Tub Tim Beach, you will sleap and wake up like a new born, Have a nice trip what ever you do. ;-)

April 5th, 2008, 13:02
Mother
I don't know if you hit a nerve, I was just suggesting you not to go to Pattaya for the sound of the ocean. You will not found it there. Waking or sleaping to the waves of the sea, I love it, but have never found it in Pattaya. That you like it slow I understand very much. That is why I suggested you to take a nap for one or two nights in bkk, have some massage (Maybe in Malaysia Hotel), they are quite professional. Have some fun in Silom Soi 2 and 4, Relax, enjoy, take some days in Pattaya, and then go to the real beaches. A bungalow on the seafront on Koh Samet, Tub Tim Beach, you will sleap and wake up like a new born, Have a nice trip what ever you do. ;-)

English is probably not your first language and therefore you take my descriptions literally. I did stay at a lovely hotel in Jomtien the last time I was in Pattaya and it lived up to my expectations. I was looking to be close to "the waves of the sea" and I got it. I guess you won't find it if you're not looking for it. The hotel was a bit pricey and I might try the highly recommended View Talay 5 this time around but if I don't like it, I'll move to that hotel. Thank you for planning my itinerary for me, including the wonderful suggestion of a "professional" massage at the luxurious Malaysia Hotel (Bangkok's 5-star spas will just have to wait).

April 5th, 2008, 14:16
Mother
I think you misunderstand me, and I know the words "of listening to the ocean" also in english. yeah maybe I read it literally, I just see something different when I read that words. I am sure I am not the only one. but...never mind, this is a worldwide board. And our native languages are from around the world. All Try to understand and expres ourself in the best way.
I did really not try to upset you.
I am, happy for you that you have found a nice place in Pattya.
Have a nice stay and pleace enjoy all of Thailand, the tropical (not Pattya) beaches, with clean water to swim in.
I am sure you know Thailand have so much to offer than Pattaya and the taxidrive down there around midnight.
Take care

Hansi :flower:
PEACE

BTW the massage in Malaysia is very professional, and not in the terms of proffesionallism with happy endigs who some might think. The masseurs there are educadet, and I have had massage from 5 star hotels before, and the quality was just same as in Malaysia. Well it is endied better from what you get on the beach and almost half priced. It is next to reception and they ask if you want a fem or male masseur. But no roomservice ;-) I know this is OT but I had to made this comment.

April 5th, 2008, 14:28
I am sure you know Thailand have so much to offer than Pattaya and the taxidrive down there around midnight.

Of course I do. Like the "professional" massage at the Malaysia from the "educadets" (I've always wanted to try a military-style massage) and "some fun in Silom 2 and 4" as you have painstakingly pointed out. The taxi ride to Pattaya is just a mode of transport as you're well aware...and a start.

Not upset at all. You've been very helpful.

Peace. :flower:

BTW the massage in Malaysia is very professional, and not in the terms of proffesionallism with happy endigs who some might think. The masseurs there are educadet, and I have had massage from 5 star hotels before, and the quality was just same as in Malaysia. Well it is endied better from what you get on the beach and almost half priced. It is next to reception and they ask if you want a fem or male masseur. But no roomservice ;-) I know this is OT but I had to made this comment.

April 5th, 2008, 14:35
dl, hehe
because you were so nice to quote my last comment.

Have a nice stay :cheers:

TrongpaiExpat
April 5th, 2008, 14:47
No relation to the online mamasan

Kind, gentle and accepting of all people, including Europeans.

By the way, if you stay in Ko Samet and awake to the sound of the waves splashing on the beach your likely covered in mosquitoes bites, hung over and can't seem to find your wallet.

April 5th, 2008, 14:59
No relation to the online mamasan

Kind, gentle and accepting of all people, including Europeans.

By the way, if you stay in Ko Samet and awake to the sound of the waves splashing on the beach your likely covered in mosquitoes bites, hung over and can't seem to find your wallet.

Nah TrongpaiExpat
I have been there almost two times every year over the last five years.
No mosquitos in the bungalow in the morning, and they almost begin during the sun is getting down. And stop the again. It is all about finding the right bungalow. ;-)

TrongpaiExpat
April 5th, 2008, 15:14
It is all about finding the right bungalow. ;-)

Care to give a name of a bungalow or a link?

Ever meet Richard, an old Finnish guy that runs a small gay bar and cheap guest house. He's been on the island for more than 25 years?

My first visit to Ko Samet was about 20 years ago. No resorts and no fancy bungalow/hotel resorts. Also, no clean water and the electric came on only after 1800 and it was off at 0800.

My last visit was last year, not quite the same place it used to be.

April 7th, 2008, 18:35
Thanks, TronpaiExpat. :)

Any new places that have opened since my last visit in December? Restaurants, esp. Thai restaurants, bars, massage venues, etc.? I shall avoid Sunee Plaza this time as I got the impression that many of boys the there were on the wrong side of 18. Not saying that there aren't any boys of legal age there but it's just not worth the trouble. Besides, I'm not really attracted to boys who look that age or younger. Early to late 20's lean/athletic is my preference. Also, I'll be looking for a breakfast place this time. Any suggestions?