View Full Version : Friend goes back to school

April 2nd, 2008, 12:11
My friend, who is 3 years with me now, has seen the light and decided to go to school in order to finish this project in 5 years at Mattayom 6 level.
Basically it took me 3 years to get him this far (either find a proper job or do something about education), and now he is "ready". I know that he would like to apply for this course-like program which will let him go to school during the weekends and make it able to work on weekdays (wow, maybe he'll work and go to school; must have been a bright light).

But ok, this morning he stood in front of me: Aw tang noi!!
How much? Uhm, THB 550 for enrollment, since I don't like surprises I asked what will be next and if he could give me an estimate on the yearly expenses: uhm.........about THB 3500 for books. (last month it was approx. Thb 6,500).

Since his young niece is going to school next month and his other niece who's still in Korat is about to come to Pattaya to join the business here (I suppose) and she would like to go to school, there's something saying: Beware, this might be a rip off!!

So, have you ever heard of these school-programs and about the cost?

April 2nd, 2008, 14:13
See "Two Different Posters" in the Global Forum, which is exclusively about this subject (adult education in Thailand), but for some unknown reason was moved there when another thread was split.

The cost sounds about right - at 3,500 for the year this may not include personal stationery, exams, etc

Bob
April 3rd, 2008, 03:31
It varies from place to place but, if you can get him to stay in the high school (adult) program for even 10,000 - 15,000 baht a year, seems like a bargain to me.

My memory (been there, done that) is that there usually are extra expenses that crop up here and there - sometimes a class outing, uniform, or something. But relatively cheap in my view comparing the cost to the benefit.

By the way, what the heck does "Aw tang noi" mean it Thai? I can't guess.

April 3rd, 2008, 03:49
sometimes a class outing, uniform, or somethingI've sometimes speculated on why an enterprising go-go bar owner doesn't dress his boys in school uniform as a gimmick

neddy3
April 3rd, 2008, 05:23

Want a small amount of money.

Aw = want, tang = money (abbreviation of satang), noi = small

April 3rd, 2008, 10:00

Want a small amount of money.

Aw = want, tang = money (abbreviation of satang), noi = small

and in this context "noi" means "please"

Aw tang noi! = Want money please!

Regarding my friend: obviously I left him behind a bit confused and maybe even a bit dissappointed/angry!? He didn't come home last night, so I think there is something else going on. I just love Thailand.........never a dull moment!!!

TrongpaiExpat
April 3rd, 2008, 13:08
sometimes a class outing, uniform, or somethingI've sometimes speculated on why an enterprising go-go bar owner doesn't dress his boys in school uniform as a gimmick

One of the soi Cowboy lady bars did just that and caught a lot of hell from the Thai authorities. School uniforms without proper Ministry of health approved under garments.

Wasn't Screw Boys first called School Boys and they changed the name?

lonelywombat
April 3rd, 2008, 14:12

I have also, as long as they dont look like or are underage

In pattayaland soi 2 there is a girls in school uniform bar and they flaunt themselves outside trying to pick up the gays going to wildwestboys

April 4th, 2008, 09:16

I have also, as long as they dont look like or are underage

It somewhat amazes me as to why anyone here, especially those who are always making the sort of derogatory posts they make about Sunee, in which they are constantly informing everyone of all of the supposedly under aged boys that work in the bars there, would want to see a club in which the boys working in it, are dressed in school uniform. I wonder what their reasons are for this. You figure it, as I couldn't even hazard a guess as to why. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

April 4th, 2008, 10:16
... would want to see a club in which the boys working in it, are dressed in school uniform. I wonder what their reasons are for this.And which of the writers suggested it was something they wanted to see? Or, dare I suggest, you're making an inference based on insufficient evidence, Oscar?

April 4th, 2008, 11:10
... would want to see a club in which the boys working in it, are dressed in school uniform. I wonder what their reasons are for this.And which of the writers suggested it was something they wanted to see? Or, dare I suggest, you're making an inference based on insufficient evidence, Oscar?

If that were the case oh bald headed one and I had been making inferences based on insufficient evidence, I would have hardly been setting a precedent here by doing so, would I? However, that was not the case in respect of my post above. Sometimes you are so impatient in wanting to fire your arrows of at me, that you sometimes tangle yourself up in the string of the bow, whilst attempting to do so. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/rolleyes.gif

As my posts are ones that you seem to enjoy reading so much, their shouldn't be any hardship suffered on your part, by my requesting you to go back and read what I said again. I promise you that there are no secret meanings hidden in my post and if you try real hard, you will see that my comments were not aimed at any particular writer, but much wider and to those who not for the first time, have made such comments when uniforms have been mentioned.

If I am going to have to start explaining all my posts to you Hommie, as I have had to do with this one, it is going to become really time consuming for me as well as being a tad tedious. You really are slipping old boy. Tell you what, I will try and find the time to make a few more post for you, where the subject is Buddhism, as well as a few where I will throw the Odd Oscar Wilde quote in every now and again. I know how much you love those kind of posts from me and how much easier, they are for you to understand. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

Cheers Hommie and good morning to you. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/yo.gif

George. (Oscar)

April 4th, 2008, 12:08
If I am going to have to start explaining all my posts to you Hommie, as I have had to do with this one, it is going to become really time consuming for me as well as being a tad tediousThat was an explanation was it? It's obviously not just Aunty who has delusions of belonging to Mensa. There's something in the water in Pattaya that rots the logic circuits in the brains of those who live there

TrongpaiExpat
April 4th, 2008, 12:36
my requesting you to go back and read what I said again. I promise you that there are no secret meanings hidden in my post

Oh I don't know, I have read some of your post backward, number the letters and skip the prime numbers and it clearly says: "The old fat bald cunt is the devil incarnate"

April 4th, 2008, 12:47
Oh I don't know, I have read some of your post backward, number the letters and skip the prime numbers and it clearly says: "The old fat bald cunt is the devil incarnate"And the number of this beast is '69'

April 4th, 2008, 12:57
If I am going to have to start explaining all my posts to you Hommie, as I have had to do with this one, it is going to become really time consuming for me as well as being a tad tediousThat was an explanation was it? It's obviously not just Aunty who has delusions of belonging to Mensa. There's something in the water in Pattaya that rots the logic circuits in the brains of those who live there

It is obvious by what you have said above Hommie, that you missed your true vocation in life. It is becoming more apparent every day in what you say, that you were really meant to be one of those comic performers, who wears an outlandish costume and makeup and entertains by pantomiming common situations or actions, in an exaggerated or ridiculous fashion. And you had the audacity to claim that I was a clown.

By the way Hommie, I just did a blood pressure reading and it was normal, now there's a word that could never be associated in anyway with you. By the way, how is your blood pressure of late. Just being compassionate by showing a little concern for one of my fellow members. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/ponder.gif

George.

Brad the Impala
April 4th, 2008, 13:31
Oh come on you two, back and forth back and forth, neither witty nor entertaining, but at least one of you is succinct!

April 4th, 2008, 14:37
Oh come on you two, back and forth back and forth, neither witty nor entertaining, but at least one of you is succinct!

I will make every effort in the future to shorten the posts I make, as well as trying to make sure that the words I use in them, will not be deemed by you, to be wasted ones. Would you like that Brad?

By the way, may I ask who it is that is holding the gun against your head and forcing you to read, both Hommie's posts and mine?

George.

April 4th, 2008, 21:37
By the way, how is your blood pressure of late. Thanks for the concern, George. All that waddling in the street and grabbing my teeth from the glass is helping as my doctor tells me that it's a very satisfactory basis for a daily health regimen. It's very reassuring that you are able to answer every post of mine simply by coming up with a fresh infirmity for what I assume you think is a form of personal abuse since you're unable to address in any logical way the questions I raise. Those who habitually resort to ad hominem statements are such little men, don't you think?