PDA

View Full Version : Taxi!

March 1st, 2006, 13:59
For those who land at various airpiorts in Thailand and don't like waiting for a bus (which drops you in the centre of the city) or mini bus which is often crowded, a taxi is the only alternative. However, I have noticed that prices within Thailand differ vastly.

Landing at Bangkok you can go to the taxi counter, where you pay in advance and located as you leave the arrivals area and (for going to Silom) be asked for 600 to 700 baht - if you go outside and join the taxi rank (rarely waiting more than a minute or so) you can get a metred taxi for 200 to 300 baht. 20 to 25 minutes depending on traffic.

Landing in Phuket you can get a taxi to Patong Beach for a set charge of around 500 baht (I couldn't see any metred taxi's or taxi rank). 25 minutes or so.

Landing in Pattaya (or Utapoa - or whatever it's called) there is no taxi rank, there is a bus or a taxi counter where you pay in advance and the charge here is 1000 baht. 25 minutes or so.

I am probably being overcharged and should take the mini bus, but I like having a driver bang my case in the trunk and drop me straight at the door of my hotel without going around all of Bangkok, dropping others off, before eventually reaching my hotel.

Also, does anyone have that nightmare with taxi's or tuk tuks or, in the case of Pattaya, bus baht's (or whatever they are called). In Bangkok you flag down a Tuk Tuk or Taxi, tell them where you are going and then enter a few minutes of chatting, before even moving, about the taxi driver wanting to take you to the Tourist Centre and only charging you 20 baht for your ride to your hotel. This has happened so many times now that I say 'no tourist centre' to the driver before getting in the cab or tuk tuk and if they even mention going I just get out without saying a word. In Pattaya my problem with the communal bus is the charge. I will happily pay 10 baht for a journey from Jomtien to South Pattaya (advised by my hotel and another Farang living there not to pay more) and some drivers will take this, others will rant and rage at you for not paying enough. In the end to avoid any hassle I started paying 20 baht (I know it's not much but it sticks in the craw that Farangs will be charged more than Thai's for the same journey), but paying 20 baht seems the only way to avoid a potential showdown. Phuket seems the only place where I have no trouble with busses or tuk tuks - the bus has a set fee for all and the taxi's give you a price, take you there and you don't get a diversion you didn't ask for.

Anyone else have trouble with Taxi's?

lonelywombat
March 1st, 2006, 14:46
Landing in Pattaya (or Utapoa - or whatever it's called) there is no taxi rank, there is a bus or a taxi counter where you pay in advance and the charge here is 1000 baht. 25 minutes or so.
?

I have flown into U Tapao 5 times in the last 2 years and always ring Gems the day before to have a car waiting for me. It costs 750baht. I am wary of booking cars by email.

Landing at Bangkok If you go to the outside rank , there is a clerk in a booth that gives your driver a chit with the name of your destination. It is always about 300b .I pay extra to go the upper level, as I usually want to get to the bars asap.

March 1st, 2006, 14:55
No stuff the taxis from BKK to Pattaya.Mate yes i had a fight with a couple of blokes who decided to turn right into the chauffeur place near the airport.No now i get the bus hich i enjoy.
Go out see the lovely girl in the booth tell her i want to go to Ekkamai,BUY THE 110b ticket,tell the driver EKKAMAI,get off pay the bus window 120b i think it was,wait about 10 mins for my bus have a drink and hop on,2 hours later at Pattaya bus terminal.Get a baht bus 10 or 20b,into PATTAYA.
Total cost about 250 b. About half hour more in travelling time.

March 1st, 2006, 16:38
Go out see the lovely girl in the booth tell her i want to go to Ekkamai...
Even cheaper (and perhaps faster): Take the taxi from the airport to Morchit, and take the bus from there.

paulg
March 1st, 2006, 16:59
The annoying thing about this and other boards is posts from people that did not read the original post

Bangkok to Pattaya was not mentioned so why does mrsdney shoot his mouth off like that.

Read the post before you reply

March 1st, 2006, 18:41
On baht-buses in Pattaya: never pause or make eye contact with the driver, just drop your B10 in the waiting hand, turn away as you do it and casually walk off

On Bangkok tuk-tuks: I haven't used one in years. Their opening bid is too often three times what I know a taxi will charge so there's just no point in wasting time

Smiles
March 2nd, 2006, 01:51
RE: MCSydney

The annoying thing about this and other boards is posts from people that did not read the original post

Bangkok to Pattaya was not mentioned so why does mrsdney shoot his mouth off like that.

Read the post before you reply
Looks like you have not been reading other people's posts Paulg . . . McSydney is a message board TROLL, which is why he shoots his mouth off like that. I thought everyone knew that ... he's only been doing it for 4 or 5 years now, under at least 4 or 5 different handles.
Some think he's the equivalent of a kind of Board 'pet'. I don't, but each to his own.

RE: Tuk Tuks

On Bangkok tuk-tuks: I haven't used one in years. Their opening bid is too often three times what I know a taxi will charge so there's just no point in wasting time
Just before I stopped using them many moons ago (though the tuk tuks in Chiang Mai are a better deal) I wondered about this as well . . . more expensive than a taxi.

I think newbies to Bangkok think it's "local colour" to take a tuk tuk, and end up paying for it. I kind of agree that everyone should try them a few times (they are in fact, "local colour"), but they get old pretty quick and my god they suck in the smells of Bangkok better than just about anything.
I use them (when available) in up country, but no more in grimy Bangkok.

Cheers ...

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
March 2nd, 2006, 03:30
(I know it's not much but it sticks in the craw that Farangs will be charged more than Thais for the same journey),

I think they got this idea from the Thai government who keeps rising the farang price of admission to the National Parks. I noticed that many now only print the price in English and then post the Thai price using Thai script.

I wonder if this site will get blocked in Thailand

www.fairprice-thailand.org/ (http://www.fairprice-thailand.org/)