PDA

View Full Version : Fitness club, gym in BKK

March 29th, 2008, 19:33
hey guys!

i am looking for a fitness center in bkk that is near chong nonsi skytrain, sathorn road!

i know about california and others in sukhumvit also, but i need one very close to my apartment! any idea???

and do you know a place where to buy gym equipment??

thx

TrongpaiExpat
March 29th, 2008, 19:42
I go to Fitness First. Several locations in Bangkok, one at Sathorn and Rama 4 would be close to you. I like it more than California. Give them a visit and take a tour. It's on the 3rd floor of the Q-House Lumpini Building, you can see it from the street. MRT Lumpini exit 2 (I think)

You can buy gym equipment most everywhere but nothing like the machines at Fitness First and who wants them taking up space in your apt.

Fitness first cost more than California but I think it's worth it. California has all sorts of deals, some good, other's not. I know someone that got the 20,000B lifetime membership. I guess a good deal if you don't die soon.

Check your PM.

www.fitnessfirst.co.th/th/index.asp (http://www.fitnessfirst.co.th/th/index.asp)

March 29th, 2008, 21:49
If you stay at Chong Nonsi, then California Fitness at Soi Convent might be the nearest one to you.... just one stop away on the BTS.

sydneyboy
March 30th, 2008, 10:18
A question. Do Fitness First and California allow "casual" visitors, that is payment per visit?

TrongpaiExpat
March 30th, 2008, 12:02
Fitness First give you one free visit but I bet then it's a sales pitch. I don't think there's weekly memberships. Members can bring a guest free.

I am not sure where you can go if your here on a short visit other than what some of the hotels offer, which is a far cry from Fitness First. Some of the gay bath houses have fitness like Babylon but limited basic equipment.

Yes, California had some bad press, mostly with farang double pricing. They have offers that expire. The membership fees are not very transparent and there's fine print. The guy I know that took the lifetime option is in his 30's and plans on staying in Bangkok a long time, so for him, it worked out fine. They are in a lot of the shopping centers with annoying touts. I waved my Fitness First card at one and he then told me that he could get me a special price for switching clubs. I asked how much and he responded with a lot of words but never said a figure and I refused to go with him. He was cute too!

Even with Fitness First there's some fine print. I was told that I could suspend my account if I am out of town for a month. What I was not told that there's a fee for suspending the account, 20% of my monthly rate and then a reactivation fee.

Zyxel-old
March 30th, 2008, 12:32
Body Torque in Thaniya Plaza (9th floor) at Silom Soi Thaniya. It changed from Clark Hatch to Body Torque a year ago loosing about 150 members in the process due to the increase of membership fee from 14000 to 21000 TB for a year. The place has been refurbished, has a 16m long pool and very friendly staff. If you are serious about fitness and don't like the crowd, the loud music or having to wait for a machine then you should give a try and visit. They provide a small and a big towel, T-shirt, shorts,socks and shoes if you wish so you don't have to bring anything. The instructors will spot you if you need and are very friendly.
Very quite before 18:00 and not very busy after. Some ex-members have returned because they cannot stand California noisy atmosphere and crowd despite having a 15000 TB life membership there.
Direct access from BTS Saladaeng if you exit from the west side.

TrongpaiExpat
March 30th, 2008, 12:41
Some ex-members have returned because they cannot stand California noisy atmosphere and crowd despite having a 15000 TB life membership there.

15,000TB? and my friend though he was getting a good deal with 20,000TB!

The Landmark Fitness First on Suk. is the only one with a pool. They too provide a two towels, shorts, and shirt. But I can't wear the shorts, too tight in the crotch, uni-sex design or something, no room for the rod and tackle.

Quite a few guy guys. Some clubs more gay than others.

Zyxel-old
March 30th, 2008, 19:34
Some get a life membership for 15000 TB, others for 20000 TB and some in between. They must have a way to estimate your life expectancy. But I know a Thai who got a life membership for 10000 TB worldwide and he looks fit and healthy ! I think California is working on attrition of members, expecting them to get bored soon (may-be hoping they die soon). If you can go to the gym and finish any time before 17:00 and you can stand loud music then these life memberships are a good deal indeed. I heard that the locker and shower rooms are quite cruisy. A good incentive to look fit.

Sen Yai
March 30th, 2008, 20:30
I have been a member of Cali (didn't join in Bangkok) for 8 years but a paid a lot more than 15,000 baht for my life time membership! But since I can use all the clubs across Asia as well as at home, I've already had my money's worth.

When I first started using the Silom club at Liberty Tower, it was usually very quiet and the Thai guys were all quite puny compared to the 'crab-claws' in Singapore. However, these days it is very busy (especially with the after-work crowd) but the number of fit bods has increased dramatically. It seems that (Bangkok) Thais have discovered fitness, or at least can now afford to go to the gym regularly.

I just checked the website www.californiawowx.com (http://www.californiawowx.com/Home/home.php) and see they have 9 clubs in Bangkok now and one in Chaing Mai and even one in Pattaya!

They never used to publish any member ship rates, even inside the clubs, so that they could give you a hard sell and pitch it on the estimated thickness of your wallet. However, I see they have now launched on-line memberships and the THB14,999 deal with 'guaranteed' annual renewal of THB 100, is probably what is referred to above. This does seem a very good offer, but may be limited to one club in BKK or even limited (off-peak) hours and almost certainly won't allow access to other Cali clubs in other countries. Read the small print!