PDA

View Full Version : Gay Singapore

kip_la-old
March 28th, 2008, 19:25
I will be taking my Thai boyfriend to Singapore in late May '08. He lives in BKK and it will be his first time out of Thailand and my first visit to Singapore. I am looking for any trip advice from those that have vacationed there before. Besides hotel and "not to miss" sight advice, my bf and I really enjoy gay dance clubs (ala DJ Station & G.O.D.) and I am looking for fun nightlife spots as well. I'm thinking 4 - 5 days may cover it but not really sure. We will also be visiting Samui for a few days and I am wondering if it is a good idea to continue on to Singapore from there before returning to BKK. Any thoughts?[/b]

sjaak327
March 28th, 2008, 20:15
Three days is more then enough to see Singapore, if you stay longer, then I would go on daytrips to either Malaysia or Indonesia. Otherwise three days is plenty.

Hotels are expensive, but you might find reasonable priced hotels, along Bencoolen street, I stayed at the summerview, small rooms, but not expensive.

For kicks, take a river tour, go to Mount Faber, by cable car, and if you feel up to it, you might take the same cable car back toward Sentosa Island. maybe good for a few hours.

Gay nightlife isn't that great, I did like the Backstage bar in Chinatown.

March 28th, 2008, 20:19
If you and your BF make some friends, Clarke Quay can be fun at night (if you do not mind lots of breeders around you).

Ditto on sjaak327's comments.

Singapore is nice, but it always reminds me of a giant shopping mall. Interesting and boring at the same time, and it closes early.

atri1666
March 28th, 2008, 21:15
There is really no problem to stay longer in singapore. For the lower budget is the hotelchain "81". I always stay mostly in Golden Landmark - only few steps to blue heaven sauna and metro bugis is around the corner. On sentosa island you can relax at the beach. Taxi about 14 Dollar to airport or 3-4 Dollar with public traffic. Will be there in june again.

March 28th, 2008, 21:41
Plenty of tourist type activities particularly interesting if your BF has never left Thailand....

Zoo (day or night), Jurong Bird Park, Botanical Gardens, Sentosa Island (Carlsberg Tower a must), river cruise (day or night or both), Clarke Quay and Boat Quay, street food at Smith Street (aka Food Street) in Chinatown in the evening, Club Street area in Chinatown has some interesting restaurants. Suntec and other shopping malls make MBK look small.

If you do not fly in or out of the new terminal at Changi airport, take walk through it - quite spectacular (and unlike Heathrows new one, it worked properly from day one!).

We have had really fun times at a couple of the gay bars. Not big into clubs so could not advise you on dance places.

Bob
March 29th, 2008, 04:43
A couple of years ago, I and my Chiangmai bf flew down to Singapore for a few days. We didn't find any "gay" life there (to be honest, we weren't looking) but can say:

(1) You just have to go out to Sentosa Island (via the glass cable cars mentioned). It has all kinds of things out there - museums, some gardens, a lot of tourist-type lookout, dolphin shows, etc. We really enjoyed the visit there - and you really need to plan on being there most of the day.

(2) Night safari at the zoo - probably best in the world. You'll enjoy.

(3) Jurong Bird Park/Place - we had an enjoyable visit there.

We very much enjoyed going down to the Chinatown area (it's about a 3-4 block area not too far from the waterfront) and just walking around all the little shops.

If you're into shopping (we weren't), there are a gazillion high-end (Prada, Tiffany, etc.) shops along Orchard Road (and elsewhere) but most looked rather expensive.

Take a camera, lots of opportunities for that all over Singapore. Enjoy.

March 29th, 2008, 04:49
... why people don't simply use Utopia's resources more - http://www.utopia-asia.com

Sen Yai
March 29th, 2008, 06:16
... why people don't simply use Utopia's resources more - http://www.utopia-asia.com

I was going the say '' 'cos it's sooo out of date, lah!", but I checked it out first and was surprised to find it's (almost) in tune with the times. I particularly liked this bit:

Don't assume that Singaporeans are backward. Global access to information and the rapid economic advancement of this small island nation have created a mobile and progressive generation of educated, fit, English-speaking young men and women of diverse cultural backgrounds. The art of conversation is alive and well here and you will make fast friends who won't be afraid to challenge your thinking with their own opinions. Green, modern and organized, The Lion City is also a haven for well-to-do expats.....

In fact, Singapore has Asia's hottest gay scene going these days. Nobody would have predicted ten years ago that Bangkok would become dully conservative while Singapore would ascend to the wild heights last explored by the party men of 1970s San Francisco. Nobody but us. Singapore (along with Tokyo) has always been one of those round-the-clock fun factories, only now its scene has moved indoors from serene tropical cruise beaches, steamy inner-city jungle gardens, and dark, decaying Chinatown alleys.

www.utopia-asia.com/tipssing.htm (http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipssing.htm)

kip-la, for "dance clubs (ala DJ Station & G.O.D.)" check out Taboo, still going after all these years and Why Not for younger guys and Play for the tendy mixed and metrosexuals. All in Tanjong Pagar area. Mox bar is/was the coolest chill out bar but it's closing tonight.

colmx
March 29th, 2008, 22:14
Sad to see ths thread has been moved out of the main forum as I am also going to Singapore with BF next month and was looking forward to hearing others comments

We last went there around 4 years ago and stayed in the Swissotel Merchant court at Clarke Quay
That was part of a package tour and great hotel as it was quite close to Club 17 sauna, however its sold out on our chose dates now

In general - besides the sauna - we found singapore gay nightlife pretty sterile, but have decided to try it again

Anybody got any recommendations for hotels in the Chinatown/Gay areas? Max budget 5000THB (But would obviously prefer cheaper)
Or any good hotel booking sites (asiatravel.com is what i have used previously)

The Inn in temple st - as recommended on Utopia - gets awful reviews on Tripadvisor.
Golden Landmark as recommended above is 6300THB per night - so over budget
Have tried unsuccessfully bidding up to $105 on pricelinein all areas

Also interested in hearing peoples comments on the Saunas:
RAW v Club17 V Blue Heaven

Club17 was one of teh best saunas I ever visited - but its opening hours are pretty limited, how do RAW and Blue Heaven compare to them crowd and size wise?

Thanks in Advance!

March 29th, 2008, 23:16
my bf and I really enjoy gay dance clubs (ala DJ Station & G.O.D.) and I am looking for fun nightlife spots as well.

Then the place to go is the Powerhouse club at St James Power Station on any Sunday night. Sundays (and only Sundays) are gay at Powerhouse. St James Power Station is an entertainment complex near Harbourfront MRT Station with multiple restaurants, bars, etc. Powerhouse - which used to be the main turbine room when the building was really a power station - is the main dance club within the St James complex.

Another place would be Taboo on Neil Road (Outram Park MRT Station). Taboo is gay every day but it's relatively quiet on weekdays but full on weekends. You will probably have to queue.

Unlike what another poster said, Singapore doesn't close early. At both these places, you'll find them virtually empty until 11 pm, and it doesn't peak until 2 am.

March 29th, 2008, 23:34
Sad to see ths thread has been moved out of the main forumWhy? It should always have been where it's now ended up. Or do you, like some others, believe posting guidelines shouldn't apply to you?

colmx
March 30th, 2008, 00:15
Or do you, like some others, believe posting guidelines shouldn't apply to you?

Its not my thread - so I don't see what your point is about posting guidelines applying to me.

However the reason I am saddened is that when posts like this end up here they rarely get any responses as nobody (except you!) bothers to check these backwaters...

And besides that the thread was more interesting than the drivel being posted by Raksiam in the main forum

April 1st, 2008, 09:56
I like to stay at the AMARA hotel. It's right by the subway station and walking distance to the gay clubs. It's about 5000 baht per night, but very upscale with big rooms.

elephantspike
April 1st, 2008, 11:14
Hey, this is a great thread. It's exactly what I'd like to see more of here.

When I moved it, I left a shadow in the Gay Thailand forum, meaning that it is now listed in the index of two forums instead of just one, thereby increasing its exposure.

It could have stayed in Gay Thailand, as it does relate to travel to and from there, but it is just so perfect for Any Other Country, I couldn't resist moving it here. It's exactly what this forum is all about.

colmx
April 2nd, 2008, 02:15
I like to stay at the AMARA hotel.

Hi Jake
Unfortunatley they are quoting 420SGD ~11,000 TBB per night for the Amara on my chosen dates (april 22-24th)

Any other suggestions?

Anyoneknow what on in Singapore at this time to drive the prices up so high?

At this rate i think we'll end up staying in one of the fragrance or Hotel81s!

April 2nd, 2008, 02:43
The Scarlet in Chinatown is a stunning boutique hotel. I understand that some (all?) standard rooms do not have windows. De Luxe would be safer - the one we had faced the street. Not cheap at S$320 plus taxes. Great location within easy walking distance of two MRT stations and a few gay bars. www.thescarlet.com (http://www.thescarlet.com)

Another option might be the York Hotel off Orchard Road. I have not stayed there personally but my business partner stayed there last month and found it more than adequate and good value. Got a good rate through Quantas even though he did not fly with them. www.yorkhotel.com.sq (http://www.yorkhotel.com.sq)

On my last visit I tried Hotel 1929 for the first (and last) time. Cannot adequately explain just how tiny the rooms and bathroom are and we had no hot water for 24 hours which they did not seem too bothered about. Avoid!

Always battle to find a well priced hotel in Singapore which is not run down. Have found reviews on www.tripadvisor.com (http://www.tripadvisor.com) to be generally quite accurate and indicative of what you can expect.

colmx
April 2nd, 2008, 04:31
Think I just answered my own question:

http://www.foodnhotelasia.com
"...FHA2008 (Food&HotelAsia) тАУ AsiaтАЩs Largest International Food and Hospitality Event will once again provide an excellent platform for buyers and sellers to meet and discover new businesses.... 36,658 trade visitors and 2,330 exhibiting companies"

No wonder the hotels are so expensive around then - i'm competing with 36000 others for the hotel rooms!

At this rate we'll be sleeping in RAW sauna or Johar Bahru!

atri1666
June 25th, 2008, 17:14
Recently stayed in singapore in golden landmark hotel for 3rd time and will return. Near blue heaven sauna and bugis mrt. Paid only 7 S$ with taxi to raw-sauna. With hotel.de can get it for 66тВм but always take the clubroom for about 100тВм.
I liked the visits in raw because of the horny arab and indian boys - only the chinese boys have been picky. Also my thai friend liked it and so we return in december.

neddy3
November 21st, 2008, 13:01
A scan through the Utopia and fridae internet sites reveals a number of massage places and saunas in Singapore.

As I may be staying in SIN for a night or two soon, I would love to hear any opinions about these places, from recent visitors.
I am far from being the fit, buffed type to be found in some saunas, so would be interested in a place which was more body and age tolerant.

The interne sites for massage parlours highlight the massage skills, and toned bodies of the staff. But there is not much else tin the way of information on offer.
Can someone give a comparison between these SIN massage places, and those in Thailand. I'm interested to compare the services offered, whether the SIN places are just a pretense for 'special services', as in Thailand, and how the costs would compare.

Also interested to hear how anybody found the saunas to be, and which might be recommended or not.

Thanks for any information offered.

November 21st, 2008, 16:24
stayed in the Swissotel Merchant court at Clarke Quay

Stayed there in August for less than half of what they are asking for next Songkran. There was a pile driver across the road which may have explained the bargain price I got. Maybe they all put their prices up for Songkran - go figure.

My experience of upscale Singapore hotels is that whilst they tick all the boxes there is always one box that is only just getting the tick. Often it's that the tiny pool get's crowded out with brat spoiling families on the weekend.

December 4th, 2008, 05:39
What are the options for getting intimate with the young lads of Singapore?

Is it necessary to rely on charm, good looks & wit (like I do everywhere of course), or is there a moneyboy scene?

Presumably that would be rather expensive, compared with neighbouring countries.

bjbjboy
December 5th, 2008, 07:37
I think Singapore is the easiest place for a Western guy to get free sex in Asia--maybe even easier than Thailand or Malaysia.
Gay.com, gayromeo, and guys4men are quite active in Singapore.
Have never even come close to needing to pay, though I'm sure there will come a day! :) I'm nearly 40, in decent shape but not muscular or anything.
As for saunas, there are several, but I've always had better luck online than in saunas. One Seven is probably the biggest/busiest; Raw is the sleaziest and has more Indian guys, if that interests you.
Have fun!