PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Suvarnabhumi & Changi Aiports ...

Smiles
March 28th, 2008, 13:14
On the recent mini-holiday in Australia in early March, had the opportunity to do a little (amateur) comparison of the Bangkok and Singapore airports.

My flight to Adelaide from Bangkok made a stop in Singapore Airport, and when I booked it I purposely went for the lengthy stopover (i.e. 4 hours compare to the one I could have chosen) precisely because I'd heard so much praise of Changi (i.e. "world class!" ... "easily #1!" ... "magnifique!!!" ... etc etc) over the years. I also arrived at Suvarnabhumi 4 hours early to get a bit of a 'feel' for it as well, again, precisely because a lot of dirt has been dropped on BKK since it opened, and my only other experience there was my arrival last November ... (when all I really wanted to do was drop peacefully into the arms of the beloved.)

Suvarnabhumi:

A grand tour de force of Building Big: cavernous, visually impressive, mammoth grey & white arched halls in every direction. Lots of streched canvassy material and glass everywhere.

Suvarnabhumi really is a lot better airport than I had expected. The immigration experience (bugbear of so many) went incredibly smoothly both when I arrived in November (admittedly on a late-night flight) and also when I went through from the departure side to Oz. In November I was through Imm and Customs, bags in hand, in 20 minutes from the opened door of a big B-777 through the Customs green aisle. That ain't bad in my books.

Someone on this Board mentioned that there were no baggage cart escalators (i.e. those wide step-less puppies). Well, he just didn't look very hard, as they are ubiquitous and very user-friendly.

Lots of ridiculously priced foodstuff on the floor just below Departures (e.g. cardboard-flavoured khao pad gai for 120 baht ... available at any soi eatery in Thailand for 30-40 baht), and decently-priced designer stuff as far as the eye can see available after Imm/Customs (e.g. a 50ml bottle of Hermes Terre D'homme ~ world's most delicious men's cologne ~ for 2000 baht ... 3000+ baht in Vancouver). I rather like wandering through these places.

There's a very smart-looking bar in the middle of the gigantic hallway ('B' Departures if I recall) with high beer prices (for Thailand) but you can rub elbows with slim Thai businessmen reading The Economist and speaking perfect english, if that's your schtick. It can be mine when I'm in the mood.
Sign posted directions at Suvarnabhumi get the direction/destination right, but there's nowhere near enough of them. Directions in big airports though demand a little common sense intuition, and following the crowd works well here. The massive hallways are either 'toward' the central terminal, or end abruptly in the other direction ... and that's easy to see at a glance.
Hong nams (the four I used in my comings and goings) were all immaculate, also unlike comments I've read here in the past.

On the downside: I think Suvarnabhumi has got a couple of potential problems looming:

(1) The tile floors are already in very poor condition. Chipped tiles, broken and filthy grout work, electric outlets in the floor(?) not flush level ~ big tripping hazard . . . and the place is only going on 2 years old.

This unfortunate occurence takes a way a lot from both the visual appearence (if you are into looking down when you walk), and the greater issue of how the place was put together in the first instance. If the floor is already in need of general replacement (I'm sure some areas are worse than others), then what confidence issues should arise regarding the building material/workmanship in other areas?

(2) One dominating feature of BKK is the very high and cathedral-like ceilings and their very 'busy-ness'. Look way up in the great hallways and walkways and you'll see, not minimalism, but pipes, and trusses, and ventilation tunnels, and structual beams ... all right out there in the open. You'll also see brilliant walls of glass on all sides, as well as reaching around towards the ceiling.
But who gets up there and cleans the dust? I can hardly imagine a machine capable of getting a window washer or a vacumm cleaner up there. And how long would it take? And how often would it need to be done?
The acres and acres of glass at Suvarnabhumi are quite awe-inspiring . . . but boy, are they getting dirty.

I look up at the ceilings in this airport and am quite architechturally awed. But janitorily, I'm appalled at the tons and tons of dust-attracting structual elements in full view up there.
Thais are not in general all that great about keeping the 'outside' of their country all that clean ... (just take a look at the plastic-littered ditches along any Thai roadway). I just hope some on-going effort is going to be put into keeping Suvarnabhumi Airport clean 'up there'. And I'm not very optimistic that they will be able to keep the high places inside from falling victim to "outta sight, outta mind". . .

Changi:

. . . And that's exactly why Changi Airport in Singapore is a somewhat superior airport. They've built it on a much more human scale, and thus much more easily serviced.

Changi is also a huge place (as it has to be for the international hub that it is), but after walking around Suvarnabhumi, one cannot help but feel slightly claustrophobic. Right away the reason is clear . . . Changi's ceilings are quite low (aside the gigantic high space of the Immigration Arrivals area in Terminal 3), almost hotel height. The ceilings are of an opaque plexiglass type material, smooth, white, and clean (and incredibly easy to clean). The floors are a great mix of tile, some wood, and lots of carpet . . . all of it in terrific condition (though Terminal 1 is slightly dowdier than 2 or 3, which I guess can be expected.

Direction signs are ubiquitous and very precise (strangely, all the signs at Changi are in english only ... no chinese, no japanese. A paen to the 'international language' I guess, though I must admit I think they've gone too far in that direction), and it's far easier to get around Changi than after walking around Suvarnabhumi ~ even with a skytrain between terminals.

Hong nams are everywhere and wonderfully clean, with big wide sinks for a decent and serious washup between flights.
Duty Free shops everywhere, great deals on laptop 'puters ... and as I already had my Hermes cologne, I didn't do any smell pricing. But they're ALL there ... buy a sweet 100% wool Burberry Duffel Coat for $C700. A steal!

The Hardrock Cafe is a place to avoid ... unless you enjoy paying 12 bucks for a pint of draught beer, but the upstairs foodcourt (and I'm talking about the after-Imm departure gate areas) is a feast for the eyes and tastebuds with international cuisines lined up a half mile long hall way, and a viewing window of the landing and take off strips.
Changi has little corners filled with free internet service computers (never seen that before in any airport), and little information kiosks all over the place with beautiful youdg ladies advising folks in any number of languages.

This is an airport that 'works' ... and is an interesting and vibrant place to while away a few hours between flights with a beer or a coffee watching quite exquisite Chinese/Japanese/Thai boys/men sauntering past with sweet little asses that only Asian men have as a 'given' ***.

Cheers ...

*** This observation just may be enough to allow jinks to leave this post in this Forum. :blackeye:

sjaak327
March 28th, 2008, 13:34
Swampy is simply an airport that does the job, nothing more. Immigration queues sometimes can be a nuisance, even though on my three last exists, it was quick (have to admit, came in on non busy times). I have never understood the praise for Chiangi, as it is a nice airport, but nothing more then that. Frankly I don't give a damm, as long as I can check-in and board the plane without much hassle, it's fine with me. As a smoker, I also appreciate a smoking room, have to say those at Chiangi and Hong Kong beat those at Swampy hands down.

March 28th, 2008, 14:38
I've been through plenty of times now and don't understand what people complain about. I never had a problem with long immigration queues either in or out, at least nothing worse than what I see in Europe. Luggage always arrived promptly. The only thing is the long walks. One time I almost missed a flight that had its gate somewhere in Pattaya. Or so it seemed.

TrongpaiExpat
March 28th, 2008, 14:56
Directions in big airports though demand a little common sense intuition, and following the crowd works well here.

Not long ago I was waiting for a friend to exit immigration, second floor, and I watched one guy, wife in tow, exit and with purpose and determination and took the angled walkway to the ground floor. The 30 or 40 people that exited behind him all followed in a big line that gained more and more momentum. The trend was not broken until the front of the original line was making their way back up to the second floor where the taxi stand had moved many months ago.

Time in/time out is quite a crap shoot. Sometimes quick, other not and sometimes down right slow.

jolyjacktar
March 28th, 2008, 15:44
I will be comming thru Bangkok airport myself next week on route from UK to pattaya. I dont take much notice of much on arrival as im just keen to get to my hotel in Pattaya so all the buildings and high hallways escape my notice as im just tunneled visioned into finding my taxi in the ranks of people down in arrivals then i sleep the 2 hours to Pattaya and wake up as we pull up at the hotel to start my new adventure.
Last time i stopped over at Chainge was about 1992 on route from London to Perth WA. Cant remember too much but i expect its all changed since then.

March 28th, 2008, 23:55
This unfortunate occurence takes a way a lot from both the visual appearence (if you are into looking down when you walk), and the greater issue of how the place was put together in the first instance. If the floor is already in need of general replacement (I'm sure some areas are worse than others), then what confidence issues should arise regarding the building material/workmanship in other areas?You expect decent building standards and regular maintenance in Thailand? How long have you been here?

Smiles
March 29th, 2008, 10:09
" ... You expect decent building standards and regular maintenance in Thailand? How long have you been here? ... "
One can always have hope. For instance I was hoping that the new airport might have been a big enough and prestigious enough (internationally speaking) to warrant a different way of thinking about things like 'quality' and 'longevity' on the part of the Thai establishment(s) involved in it's construction. After all, it was the governments comments some years ago that they were hoping BKK would become a major international airline hub for SE Asia.

Maybe it still will. But with some of the 'basics' already breaking apart or not being taken care of after only two years, it's rather iffy as to what condition this BKK 'hub' will be in once (or if) it becomes one.

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
March 29th, 2008, 13:07
You expect decent building standards and regular maintenance in Thailand?

They do a pretty good job at keeping the dust bunnies off the rafters at Paragon.

Hmmm
March 31st, 2008, 09:22
the eateries are outrageously expensive for Thailand, and there's not enough of them on pre-immigration side. I have a friend who works there and he tells me there is no staff canteen even.

Staff and astute travellers use the Thai food court on the ground floor at the far end of the building. Nicer and more accessible than the old one at Don Muang which was on the connecting hallway to domestic, albeit more crowded.

That, however, is the only good thing about the new airport.

March 31st, 2008, 10:38
the eateries are outrageously expensive for Thailand, and there's not enough of them on pre-immigration side. I have a friend who works there and he tells me there is no staff canteen even.

Staff and astute travellers use the Thai food court on the ground floor at the far end of the building. Nicer and more accessible than the old one at Don Muang which was on the connecting hallway to domestic, albeit more crowded.

What about the new Terminal five at Heathrow, that is not getting rave reviews either!

TrongpaiExpat
March 31st, 2008, 14:13

What far end of the ground floor? The coming in side or the going out side?

March 31st, 2008, 17:28
After all, it was the governments comments some years ago that they were hoping BKK would become a major international airline hub for SE Asia.

Bangkok already is a hub and has been for a long time. It has more passengers (41 million) per year than Singapore (36 million).

March 31st, 2008, 18:56
in Bangkok is not very friendly at all, air con is not adequate, still long queues at immigration, ongoing flight admin is confusing, to name a few. You don't get those problems in Changi for sure to say the least about it.

March 31st, 2008, 21:13
Bangkok already is a hub and has been for a long time. It has more passengers (41 million) per year than Singapore (36 million).The reason for that is quite simple. 747 aircraft from London can fly to either Singapore or Bangkok but Singapore is that little bit further so the preference has been for Bangkok. However you have only to look at how British Airways and Qantas took all their business except one flight a day each away from Bangkok - which had been their principal hub - and moved it to Singapore in response to the abysmal response of the Thais when a Qantas aircraft crash-landed at Bangkok some years ago. As Bangkok Airport becomes more crowded and less well-maintained it will become a less attractive hub than Singapore, especially as next-generation aircraft come along. On the other hand Qantas is now learning the perils of outsourcing their aircraft maintenance to Singapore - go and read http://www.crikey.com.au and search on Qantas if you want the gory details

March 31st, 2008, 22:36
What far end of the ground floor? The coming in side or the going out side?

The foodcourt is located in the public building (i.e. not the transit building) on the ground floor. By "public building", I mean the building to which the public has access i.e. the same building where check-in desks and arrival luggage conveyors are located, and also where public waiting areas are found. The ground floor is where Bell Company's representative (the bus to Pattaya) can usually be seen waiting. Originally the taxi queues were located on this level. When you reach the ground floor, the foodcourt is on the extreme lefthand side (as you face the bus driveway).

Prices there are similar to foodcourts at any downtown mall but it can get quite crowded during lunchtime (and I assume dinnertime too) when the staff fill all available seats.

April 15th, 2008, 11:03
I think you all are overlooking the reason why Bangkok airport would be better than Changi even if it were a cowshed: Bangkok airport is full of Thais, while Changi is full of Singaporeans.