View Full Version : Wanted a knowledgeable guide to Bangkok

March 24th, 2008, 23:27
I am a new poster but not new to reading these forums.

I will be visiting Bangkok at the end of May and staying for two weeks. I am traveling with a friend and we are looking for someone who can act as a knowledgeable guide to Bangkok.

We are not looking for information of the gay bars or clubs, I am sure we can locate those on our own if we want them, but we are looking for a male or female who knows Bangkok away from the usual tourist routes. We have visited Bangkok a number of times and visited the main tourist attractions but this time we want to see the 'real' Bangkok and would therefore like to employ the services of someone who knows the city and its environs very well.

If anyone has any recommendations and contact details of a suitable person I would be interested to hear them, also of course any suggestions from anyone living in Bangkok who can offer a few suggestions as to 'must see' areas of the city that are away from the tourist traps. We will be staying at the Oriental Hotel during our stay so any special river events or trips not to be missed would also be welcome.

March 24th, 2008, 23:35
The real Bangkok can be experienced without a guide. Hop on a bus at random, hop off at random. Explore. Repeat.

Michael
March 25th, 2008, 00:10
...this time we want to see the 'real' Bangkok...

Not exactly what you asked for, but this suggestion of a cycle tour by our dearly missed poster WowPow (R.I.P.) is certainly worth a look.
Cycle Tour of Old Bangkok (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/cycle-tours-of-old-bangkok-and-plantations-t9814.html?highlight=cycle)

March 25th, 2008, 00:13
The real Bangkok can be experienced without a guide. Hop on a bus at random, hop off at random. Explore. Repeat.

Thanks, but we did that last year and although we did find many interesting places but when later talking to people who live in the city we also found that we missed a lot of places that were really of the beaten track. The hotel guides all have their own agenda as to where to take you and did not appear to have a great deal of knowledge about the wider city as a whole. That is why we would like to hire a real 'local' who is familiar with the non tourist areas.

The idea this coming trip is to try and take in the many small markets that happen once or twice a week and to get to the tiny sois that make up the real Bangkok. buses are a great way to travel but you need some idea as to where you are going if you are to make the most of that form of travel which is why we are looking for someone who knows the lay of the land. We are only there for two weeks before going onto Burma, Cambodia and Nepal so we want to make the most of our time in Bangkok.

llz
March 25th, 2008, 00:18
Go to this website and look for Bangkok and neighbouring provinces : www.thaitravelblogs.com/ (http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/)
or to this one which is more updated : www.bangkok-daytrips.com/ (http://www.bangkok-daytrips.com/)
These websites are part of the Paknam Network which is a fanstastic resource for everything in Thailand.

sjaak327
March 25th, 2008, 01:34
The area I live in could be considered very local, as there are only a few farangs about, don't know why you want to see it, as there is not much to see. We do have a local market, again not much to see. The only reason to come over here is to sample the excellent street food that can be had at very low prices. Maybe the local karaoke is fun too.

Again buy a map, and get on the bus.

ps. I live at Pridi 45, which is soi 45 of Sukumvit Soi 71 (soi Pridi Phanomyong) another name of that subsoi is Jawarad.

Or take the Saen Saeb canal boat all the way to Bangkapi, I'm sure you will have a great time.

March 25th, 2008, 02:29
You keep banging on about "the real Bangkok". Your reality is personally constructed. It is probably in the Normandy Grill. Enjoy.

Alternatively get someone to lend you some saffron robes and beg for your meals. There are many "real Bangkoks" in between.

March 25th, 2008, 04:08
You keep banging on about "the real Bangkok". Your reality is personally constructed. It is probably in the Normandy Grill. Enjoy.

Alternatively get someone to lend you some saffron robes and beg for your meals. There are many "real Bangkoks" in between.

If you are referring to Le Normandie then that is not my style, far to formal. I can recommend Sala Rim Naan though.

Bob
March 25th, 2008, 04:55
Just Another: Why not ask your hotel? They usually have a list of guides available.

Or maybe go visit here?: http://www.bkk-info.com/

Or google yourself?

March 25th, 2008, 05:42
Sala Rim Naan is about as far from any Thai reality as it is possible to get. We ended up eating there as a freebie last time we stayed at the Oriental because the hotel reneged on an excursion we'd been promised as an extra for an extended stay and offered dinner there as an alternative. At least La Normandie attracts those Thais who went to University in Caen.

March 25th, 2008, 14:59
I am a new poster but not new to reading these forums.

I will be visiting Bangkok at the end of May and staying for two weeks. I am traveling with a friend and we are looking for someone who can act as a knowledgeable guide to Bangkok.

I would agree with most of the above suggestions that a map and a bus are great ways to explore Bangkok, you need to remember though that the further you get away from the city centre tourist area then generally less English will be spoken. This is not a problem is you have a grasp of Thai and have a vague idea where on the map you want to go.

Should you decide you want a guide then PM me and I will give you the contact details of two people, one who up to a few months ago, when he suffered an accident that has left him unable to drive ago, worked for the BOT as a Securities/Document courier travelling to banks throughout Bangkok and the other used to drive for a the Bangkok Welfare Dept and is familiar with the outer parts of the city. Both speak good English and are reliable.

On a side note, if you are visiting Nepal and have the time have you considered a trip to Butan? A fantastic place and worth seeing before the current elections bring any changes.