PDA

View Full Version : Le Cafe Royale bar is closed for now.

March 23rd, 2008, 09:09
Hi,

I received a phone call from a member of the Thai staff from Le Cafe Royale at 5.00am

The bar at Le Cafe Royale is closed at the moment until Craig the major shareholder arrives from the UK, on an unscheduled visit, as there have been major problems and disagreeements involving Noom, the very long time Manager/Licence holder and Big Ian's former friend, and members of the new regime who took over Throb and Splash from myself, but are actually nothing to do with the Le Cafe Royale bar or Restaurant.

This problem spilled over the other evening into violence and uproar, involving Mick, a very long time resident and well respected Manager of the Hotel bar , Lom, another friend of Ian's and a long time member of staff, and Glen Campbell, one of the newbie Throb/Splash team along with Peter Storrow. at which point Noom removed his licences and closed the bar.

Another surprising twist is they actually threatened the Handyman, who worked for me for many many years, and who was doing some work for me on his FREE days, with the sack if he did any more work!!

Stranger than fiction, the mind boggles.

bigben
March 23rd, 2008, 10:35
Many thanks KQ for setting the record straight before all the drama queens find the log on button.

I hope all the parties involved can work things out quickly and fairly.

Smiles
March 23rd, 2008, 11:41
" ... This problem spilled over the other evening into violence and uproar, involving Mick, a very long time resident and well respected Manager of the Hotel bar , Lom, another friend of Ian's and a long time member of staff, and Glen Campbell, one of the newbie Throb/Splash team

. . . Another surprising twist is they actually threatened the Handyman, who worked for me for many many years ... "
On the contrary Bigben, this delicious story is the Staff of Life for us true DQ's. Thanks again Kevin!

I just hope this terrible state of affairs has been resolved by the time I get to Phoenix next year. That will certainly make it more gentle on my mind ... I being of a delicate and peaceful nature and always hating to see such petty disturbances take place within the Gay Community.

As well, sounds like a good and reliable Whichita lineman is sorely needed to get the electrical work done after the disappearence of the Handyman, under death threats.

Cheers ...

puckered_penguin
March 23rd, 2008, 12:47
Hi,

I received a phone call from a member of the Thai staff from Le Cafe Royale at 5.00am

The bar at Le Cafe Royale is closed at the moment until Craig the major shareholder arrives from the UK, on an unscheduled visit, as there have been major problems and disagreeements involving Noom, the very long time Manager/Licence holder and Big Ian's former friend, and members of the new regime who took over Throb and Splash from myself, but are actually nothing to do with the Le Cafe Royale bar or Restaurant.

This problem spilled over the other evening into violence and uproar, involving Mick, a very long time resident and well respected Manager of the Hotel bar ,

when did you buy a laundry Kquill?

March 23rd, 2008, 12:49
Hi,

This problem spilled over the other evening into violence and uproar, involving Mick, a very long time resident and well respected Manager of the Hotel bar , Lom, another friend of Ian's and a long time member of staff, and Glen Campbell, one of the newbie Throb/Splash team along with Peter Storrow. at which point Noom removed his licences and closed the bar.

Another surprising twist is they actually threatened the Handyman, who worked for me for many many years, and who was doing some work for me on his FREE days, with the sack if he did any more work!!

Since the No Smoking law has been enforced the Piano Bar at Cafe Royale has been very quiet inside and most of the customers sit out on the terrace.

Mick and Noom are both long term members of the staff there - part of the furniture and very loyal to Cafe Royale and the memory of Big Ian. It must have been one hell of a bust up to have made Noom close the place down!

Can Kevin give the Handyman a job at the Birdcage?

March 23rd, 2008, 13:09
Since the No Smoking law has been enforced the Piano Bar at Cafe Royale has been very quiet inside and most of the customers sit out on the terrace.

Mick and Noom are both long term members of the staff there - part of the furniture and very loyal to Cafe Royale and the memory of Big Ian. It must have been one hell of a bust up to have made Noom close the place down!

Can Kevin give the Handyman a job at the Birdcage?

I would give him a job with pleasure and he has been told so if he has any problems further.

Apparently, from what they have told me directly, it was a hell of a bust up.

TrongpaiExpat
March 23rd, 2008, 14:22
Cafe Royal, nice spot for a Villa market.

globalwanderer
March 23rd, 2008, 15:16
Is the restaurant still open?

Aunty
March 23rd, 2008, 16:28

So what you're saying is that the ashtrays went flying and the pumps were tossed. Sounds marvelous!

March 23rd, 2008, 16:53

So what you're saying is that the ashtrays went flying and the pumps were tossed. Sounds marvelous!

Handbags at dawn tomorrow!

March 23rd, 2008, 17:24
The bar at Le Cafe Royale is closed at the moment until Craig the major shareholder arrives from the UK, on an unscheduled visit, as there have been major problems and disagreements involving Noom, the very long time Manager/Licence holder and Big Ian's former friend, and members of the new regime who took over Throb and Splash from myself, but are actually nothing to do with the Le Cafe Royale bar or Restaurant.

I'm surprised that you say your successors at Throb/Splash have nothing to do with LCR (or do you really mean just the bar and restaurant?). From what I have observed of them throwing their weight around the hotel and giving out orders to the staff it appeared to me they had some financial involvement?

Equally that they should be involved in a fracas is unsurprising? Both of them seem to spend much of their time drinking the profit from the clubs they own and they become quite obnoxious as the night wears on.

andrewcraig
March 23rd, 2008, 18:00
I hate asking but what role does Robbie have now both Ians have departed, and there is this clash with the "Thai" owners.

March 23rd, 2008, 18:29
I hate asking but what role does Robbie have now both Ians have departed, and there is this clash with the "Thai" owners.

Buaseng,

Very astute.

They have no financial involvement in LCR at all, only a loose trading agreement they did with Ian shortly before his death.

This applied to the room code sharing not to the restaurant, bar or room service.

However, they are now seeking to extend their powers of authority, A point which has not gone down well with the long time members of staff and Management.

Examples of which, are calling loudly for a smoking ban, then one of them ignoring it himself completely.

Another, declaring a non drinking policy for staff and then asking the staff if they want a drink when he has no one to sit with.

Again, screaming drunken obscenities at the English Hotel Bar Manager, in full view of customers ,leading to his being ejected from the bar.

A further one, telling a Hotel staff member of the electrical team, who has worked there almost 12 years, if he does outside work at nearby premises, even on his free day, he will be fired!

The pick up the handyman drives, was purchased by myself and Big Ian jointly, when I sold , it was not in the agreement of purchase.

I could not sell the pick up and allow a loyal member of LCR staff to be without transport, therefore, I gave it over to the Hotel.

I cannot see what it has to do with the two new people, other than a poster says, throwing their weight around,the fact that he is seeking extra revenue from his private time, in private hours.

andrewcraig,

Robbie has been very ill for some time and gets on well and always has done, as did I, with all the staff.

He has nothing to do with the present dispute and I believe he is in Holland.

UncleSam
March 23rd, 2008, 18:52
Things must be slow at The Birdcage.

Hehehe.....

globalwanderer
March 23rd, 2008, 18:53
Kevin, what you say about the actions of the new Throb owners does not surprise me.

The LCR team have always been well respected and do not deserve to be treated in the way they apparently have.

You are right that what staff do in their free time is totally up to them as long as it does not impact their ability to work. Doing some work for you certainly does not fall into that category.

It really distresses me that anyone would hurl obscenities, drunken or otherwise at Mick.

I hope that Craig gets here soon from the UK and puts certain people in their place.

March 23rd, 2008, 20:36
On the contrary Bigben, this delicious story is the Staff of Life for us true DQ's. Thanks again Kevin!Gosh, I may even have to remove kquill from my {Ignore} list - a real life soap on this Board. What fun!

March 23rd, 2008, 20:53
Things must be slow at The Birdcage.

Hehehe.....

go take a look - you might get a surprise!

dab69
March 23rd, 2008, 21:08
i am worried about the waiters salary may suffer in the meantime. they don't have extra to last out
a longer bar closure even if the restaurant is still open.

globalwanderer
March 23rd, 2008, 21:26
i am worried about the waiters salary may suffer in the meantime. they don't have extra to last out
a longer bar closure even if the restaurant is still open.

i agree.. I hope it does not drag on too long and hurt the staff, or the business

March 24th, 2008, 04:03
the cafe bar is now open again

UncleSam
March 24th, 2008, 10:33
Does that mean that Kevin can go back to minding his own business now ?

Hehehe......

puckered_penguin
March 24th, 2008, 15:18

Hehehe......

No, Kevin seems to have got a nasty streak in him when it comes to posting anything about the people who purchased his old bar. The contempt he holds them in has no place on gossip boards in my opinion.

The thread is reported elsewhere such as on Gay Thailand and I wonder if people will cancel their reservations at Cafe Royale now. If they do it will be in part the responsibility of Kquill.

Kquill get on with being a venerated business man not a revenge queen

catawampuscat
March 24th, 2008, 16:14
It is absurd to attack kevin for reporting on a gay business.. It seems like the cowardly among us, live to attack
those who are brave and foolish enough to post using their own names and have businesses.
Kevin and John Botting have the same rights to posting their opinions, thoughts , observations and info
as they please..
Unfortunately these guys and one or two others have stalkers that lie in wait to stick one in their ribs..

I hope these stalkers don't prevent those who dare to use their names from continuing to post freely... :cat:

lonelywombat
March 24th, 2008, 16:23

Hehehe......

No, Kevin seems to have got a nasty streak in him when it comes to posting anything about the people who purchased his old bar. The contempt he holds them in has no place on gossip boards in my opinion.

The thread is reported elsewhere such as on Gay Thailand and I wonder if people will cancel their reservations at Cafe Royale now. If they do it will be in part the responsibility of Kquill.

Kquill get on with being a venerated business man not a revenge queen

it is always interested to read posts like this and wonder how closely they are to the situation

Kevin I thought your comment timely and unbiased. The shrill remarks of puckered_penguin are just that

I have never met you and probably will not. No one is suggesting that people cancel their reservation but if I was leaving to fly into Pattaya I would want to know. Queen is such a bitchy word at times. PP look at yourself, before accusing others.

March 24th, 2008, 18:00
I come to this board, to read the gossip, about what is happening, when l am not there. If Kevin had not posted that thread, l'd of had no idea what was going on.
I read the post without any slurs about Peter Glen, or Mick. The saddest part of all this is Mick having to get involved, as a nicer person could you wish to meet!

Thanks Kevin.

The ipod man

March 24th, 2008, 19:15
I think what Kquill posted was valuable information. If he had not posted in accurate rumors would probably be all over the place.

However I do hope the resolution will also be posted to update. I imagine Kquill have the information as he is friends of many of the staff at Cafe Royale

March 24th, 2008, 23:04
I agree 100% that what Kevin posted is appropriate--it sounds more like someone else has a bias or personal problem with Kevin.

March 25th, 2008, 01:09
It seems like the cowardly among us, live to attack those who are brave and foolish enough to post using their own names and have businesses. Kevin and John Botting have the same rights to posting their opinions, thoughts , observations and infoas they please..
Unfortunately these guys and one or two others have stalkers that lie in wait to stick one in their ribs..I hope these stalkers don't prevent those who dare to use their names from continuing to post freely... :cat:

I try to avoid swearing on this forum, but I am very tempted to when someone says that there is something "brave" about "those who dare to use their names" on this forum and something "cowardly" about those who do not. What absolute, utter, unadulterated rubbish. It is the norm on this board and 99% of similar forums, on virtually any subject, to post using a nom de plume for very good reasons - generally it leads to a much freer and more open forum, where individual posters and their posts have to stand and be judged on their posts' individual merits, and those merits alone. Additionally there are very good reasons why anonymity should not only be preferred but be preserved - I have stated some of my own reasons previously elsewhere.

If any individuals wish to make an exception and to identify themselves, in order to promote their business, themselves, or for any other reason, that is their choice and their privilege. Under no circumstances can it be considered "brave" ("foolish", possibly), nor is there any conceivable reason why they should be given any extra protection because of it than those who follow the normal pattern of anonymity.

Those who post under their own names may add some credibility to their posts by doing so; conversely they may detract from them. They have chosen to use this double edged sword, for whatever reason; if they are not up to handling it, they should put it down.

March 25th, 2008, 15:54
It seems to me that all of the comments regarding the incident at the Hotel the other day are based on Kevin Quill's description. This is odd as I was there that evening, having a cigarette on the terrace, I remeber Kevin from Throb, so I know what he looks like, and he wasn't even there! so his information obviously comes from elsewhere. I don't konw the exact facts, but from what I witnessed and overheard, there was an argument between one of the owners, and one of the waiters, apparently to do with drinking alcohol in uniform, what I did see is the first punch came from the waiter, all hell broke loose, and then 4 or 5 other waiters came out and dragged a young looking lad, who I think was in there company into the soi, and vicously beat him on the floor. Shortly after this I saw Tom, the Hotel Manager arrive, and I understand the lad was taken to Hospital.
I returned to the bar the other night, and saw different waiters, I asked one of them what had happened, and he told me Mr Craig had suspended them as the Police are investigating the incident. Apparently it was Tom who closed the bar the following night, not Noom, on Mr Craig's instructions.
There is always 2 sides to evey story, so I think it only fair to wait to see what really happened, rather than making assumptions based on one persons comments, why does he dislike them so much? I have been in their bar, and they seem pleasent enough to me, I have never witnessed them mistreating their staff, in fact, their staff always look very happy to me.

TrongpaiExpat
March 25th, 2008, 17:13
What absolute, utter, unadulterated rubbish[/u]. It is the norm on this board and 99% of similar forums, on virtually any subject, to post using a nom de plume for very good reasons - generally it leads to a much freer and more open forum, where individual posters and their posts have to stand and be judged on their posts' individual merits, and those merits alone. Additionally there are very good reasons why anonymity should not only be preferred but be preserved - I have stated some of my own reasons previously elsewhere.

Your anonymity may be short lived now that in another thread you have revealed you fondness for clean and dapper suede shoes. If you also sport colorful ascots, keep that under your hat.

March 25th, 2008, 17:52
I understand that people always must have their first post. We all did. But I know many of the waiters at Cafe Royal as I use to eat there several times a week before Ian passed.

What I heard from one of them is much much closer to what KQuill posted than pattayageorge.

I believe KQuill never said he was there when the incident happened. He said he received a phone call. I am sure in time others will hear a story and will be reported. However I am more inclined to think that Kevin's account is what was reported by someone involved to him. If I was a manager that may have a job on the line, I would put a face on it.

Would pattayageorge explain which "owner" was the owner he is talking about. Is it an owner of Throb that is not an owner of Cafe Royal? I do not believe that a waiter at Cafe Royal would indiscriminately strike someone in the company of the "owner" with out cause. I also find it hard to believe that the other waiters would join in unless there was a good reason. If there was not a good reason I believe they would have stopped any disturbance.

I personally have enjoyed Cafe Royal in the past. I hope they can get back on the right track. I think Mick is a wonderful man. I do feel that the other farang management don't add anything to the business. If asked I would be happy to explain....it is not part of this thread however.

March 25th, 2008, 20:41
Your anonymity may be short lived now that in another thread you have revealed you fondness for clean and dapper suede shoes. If you also sport colorful ascots, keep that under your hat.My usual attire of plaid shirts (and caps while visiting sex cinemas) has already been commented on by Zorro The Gay Blade's previous incarnations