PDA

View Full Version : Raan Ahaan Phet

March 21st, 2008, 22:40
Just for fun, here's a picture of the happy owner/manager of that new restaurant in Chiang Mai. (That's "Phet" with a high tone = "diamond.")

pronto
March 22nd, 2008, 00:49
Excellent, HC! Thanks for the photo of Khun Phet. And, thanks for the name of his shop. I had seen Phet perform in the special New Year's Eve My Way show and was quite drawn to him. A few days later, my 'regular' guy from My Way said he wanted to take me to lunch...and he surprised me by taking me to Khun Phet's!

March 22nd, 2008, 00:54
Just for fun, here's a picture of the happy owner/manager of that new restaurant in Chiang Mai. (That's "Phet" with a high tone = "diamond.")As opposed to another pronunciation meaning "hot" or "spicy" (equally applicable to the pic, I'd have thought)?

pronto
March 22nd, 2008, 01:13
As opposed to another pronunciation meaning "hot" or "spicy" (equally applicable to the pic, I'd have thought)?
Quite agreed!

jinks
March 22nd, 2008, 02:31
I was told to stop trying to say hot/spicy using Phet...

My friend said :- The way you say phet sounds like you ask for duck !

Tonal language - TIT I now say SPICY please

TrongpaiExpat
March 22nd, 2008, 02:43
I find the best way to hit the high tone is to bend at the knees and then rise up as you say the word. For the low do, just reverse the procedure. The falling tone can get tricky, first start with good footing and then bend at the hip and do a dip with both arms held out, don't actually fall. The rising tone requires that you put your left foot out and your right foot in and then move it all about. Simple.

catawampuscat
March 22nd, 2008, 13:11
I am convinced that if you can sing well, play musical instrument (skin flute not included) and have a good ear for music,
then you have a good chance of properly pronouncing the various tones used in speaking Thai.
If you have a tin ear and sing like a dying frog, it is hopeless and your only chance of being understood is when you speak
the Thai word in context and the hearer is used to your fractured style of speaking Thai.

Speaking even fractured Thai enhances relationships from the shortest of time to the longest and while frustrating
it is well worth to effort to learn some Thai. It helps you appreciate how difficult it is for the Thais to learn proper
pronunciation in English.

Don't believe the old adage that the bed is the best place to learn how to speak/understand Thai. It is romantic bullshit and
about as reliable a method as learning Thai in karaoke bars from the subtitles. Hard work and hundreds of hours of studying and
practicing are the only way to make any headway in learning Thai and having a chance to make sense of the tones... :cat:

March 22nd, 2008, 15:31
I find the best way to hit the high tone is to bend at the knees and then rise up as you say the word. For the low do, just reverse the procedure. The falling tone can get tricky, first start with good footing and then bend at the hip and do a dip with both arms held out, don't actually fall. The rising tone requires that you put your left foot out and your right foot in and then move it all about. Simple.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/slol.gif Nice one TE. They say that when you are teaching, including teaching someone a foreign language, you should always try to add some fun into your lessons.

Have you ever tried teaching Thai TE, using that above method of yours? I am certain that you would be a resounding success, and you would certainly be adding some fun into your lessons. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

Choc Dee,

George.

March 22nd, 2008, 16:15
and when buying a ticket, dont call the "kon kăai dtŭa" คนขายตั๋ว - "ticket seller" a "kon kăai dtua" คนขายตัว prostitute or u might get more than just the farang price!