PDA

View Full Version : BULLET TRAIN!!!!

donald1
February 28th, 2006, 16:47
Does anyone have any information about the WHEN and IFS of Thailands Bullet train? Will it INDEED make the trip from bangkok to Pattaya in 20 minutes? Where will the station be in Pattaya? Any WEBSITES?

Any info will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

puckered_penguin
February 28th, 2006, 18:34
Donald1, somebody fired a blank here as it starts and stops in Korea, or maybe was just a bad shot.

Of course the original Shinkansen is in Japan

the good news is that a new maglev train will be coming but who knows where maybe China or Pattaya

February 28th, 2006, 19:10
I was speaking to someone recently, who told me he'd taken the Maglev from Shanghai Airport. He didn't say that it went to Pattaya though.

The term "Bullet Train" is normally used for the Japanese Shinkansen which I first used about 25 years ago.

I know there are plans for fast downtown trains (a City Rail Link) from the new Bangkok Airport (Suvarnabhumi) but hadn't heard the term "bullet" except in relation to the rewards awaiting the project managers. 555

February 28th, 2006, 20:52
"Bullet" as in fast, and Thai Government decisions do not go together, so I wouldn't expect to see a "Bullet Train" running anywhere in Thailand especially Bangkok to Pattaya; at least not in your lifetime my friend!

TrongpaiExpat
February 28th, 2006, 21:13
I can't say that Sanook's negative comments are off base as I remember the promise of the sky train connecting to Don Maung but there is some work I see on the existing rail line that heads in the direction of the new airport.

What is not clear is where it will connect with Bangkok and certainly not clear if there is any plans to connect with the line that goes to Pattaya now. Few farangs take rail from BKK to Pattaya as it takes longer than the bus and departs BKK very early in the morning.

I hate to say this but I expect all sorts of extra changes being tacked on to transportation to and out of the New Airport. In Taipei, they add 50% to the meter for airport pick-ups'. Don Maung adds 50B, but there are other options and the transportation network is not far. The new airport has no established transportation links and that is why I see a price gouging in the making.

February 28th, 2006, 21:24
The terminal for the new airport rail link will be in Makkasan. Work is being done already.