PDA

View Full Version : Veering off-topic in a splendid way!

March 22nd, 2008, 23:08
My former bf told me a true story two days ago, about a school which made shirts needing the English for AKE. (Um, that rhymes with CAKE, BAKE, MAKE, TAKE, FAKE, NAKED....there! I have your attention.)

The responsible Educator had chosen to spell this sound as EKA. That's (to me) eee-kah. Not Ache..

So my courageous, Western-influenced former bf called this responsible Educator and told him of his mistake.

"Well, excuse me, who precisely ARE YOU?"

"Well, I teach English."

"Thank you, but I have been abroad before, and I will spell this word any way I please."

CLICK.

Of course, at Chiang Mai University's English department, they have a different solution. They fire you! :-0

As a side-note, I am really enjoying teaching English FOR FREE in my Golden Years. It's made even better by the fact that my students (gasp) LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH!

March 22nd, 2008, 23:13
As a side-note, I am really enjoying teaching English FOR FREE in my Golden Years. It's made even better by the fact that my students (gasp) LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH!I think many members would be interested to hear how you got a work permit for this activity (I assume it's in Thailand)

March 22nd, 2008, 23:23
Not for working free!

ceejay
March 23rd, 2008, 00:04
Not for working free!

I wouldn't bet on it. Voluntary work requires a category O non immigrant visa

March 23rd, 2008, 00:07
Not for working free!Regrettably you are misinformed. Whether you are paid or not, you need a work permit for any activity that constitutes work, such as teaching. There is, I believe, a charitable organisation that has an official dispensation from this requirement, otherwise you are acting illegally, and could be deported from Thailand if the Thai immigration authorities decide to get nasty. This topic has been covered before in the Forum

March 23rd, 2008, 00:19
I don't do no teaching nowhere. :-)

Except the Police Lieutenant's son.

March 23rd, 2008, 03:47
What interests me here is not the story itself, amusing and believable though it is but that how quickly two others were encouraged to fly off into bitchy picky mode, and latch onto the voluntary work/ work permit problem. Their attitude was not ' glad you are doing something useful that you enjoy, but be careful as it is technically illegal', but more along the lines of 'how dare you do this without the right visa'
Yes. I agree that they are correct in their message and you would be more open to problems if you are advertising yourself as a private business. The chances are though that you are working under the umbrella of a Thai company so should be OK, so yes, carry on enjoying the job.

March 23rd, 2008, 04:10
.. rich fantasy life you do lead, Lester

March 23rd, 2008, 04:41
(Um, that rhymes with CAKE, BAKE, MAKE, TAKE, FAKE, NAKED....there! I have your attention.)

Since when did Naked rhyme with Bake or Fake? Not even Baked or Faked rhyme with Naked.

We lie all still, alone and naked
Dreaming of the love we were to make-ed
His orgasms were true and never fake-ed
And after, a cake, for me he bake-ed

No matter how hard I try...it just...

netrix
March 25th, 2008, 16:15
stop, enough! i just can't TAKE it.

(how's that one? giving you a headache-ed?)

Wesley
March 28th, 2008, 11:51
surely they will let smiles teach English for no fee. its not work its an art.

Wes

TrongpaiExpat
March 28th, 2008, 13:03
surely they will let smiles teach English for no fee. its not work its an art.
Wes

Smiles? 'Smiles' did not even post on this topic? Wes, I read your last three post and don't have a clue what your talking about. Are you OK?