PDA

View Full Version : Peering into the Internet future....

March 21st, 2008, 23:38
This post has nothing to do with Thailand or things gay, but does have a lot of relevance for those who post here from Thailand, and who generally need an Internet connection in Thailand.

I suspect that the dial-up modem a la CsLoxinfo is doomed.

Why?

Well, last month, I realized that at least three years had passed since I bought a computer or a cell-phone, and I went out and got new ones. In particular, the cell-phone was a Nokia N95 8GB, the top-of-the-line a month ago. I got it because of the maps, and the GPRS stuff, which amazed me.

When I went to install the Nokia software, it crashed and burned, saying "Must have Windows XP Service Pack TWO!" Well, my old computer didn't have that, and the upgrade looked like a major hassle. So I bought a new one. After a week or so of getting used to the new beast, I thought, "HEY! I can install the dumb Nokia software finally!" -- and did so.

To my total amazement, the Nokia software turned my new cell-phone into a FAST internet modem! No more hassling with phone lines: just plug the phone in with a USB cable, and away you go!

I was flabbergasted, and especially so when AIS offered me a promotion which worked out to 3.5 baht PER HOUR. It was much cheaper than CsLoxinfo, and much faster.

A few weeks later, I read an article about the government planning to cover Thailand with a high-speed wireless network within the next year.

And then I figured that the handwriting was truly on the wall.

Just for your information!