PDA

View Full Version : Gay heart-throb Mario Maurer

March 20th, 2008, 23:21
I was talking with my former bf tonight and he mentioned Mario Maurer as a current gay heart-stealer in Thailand.

He stars in the movie Rak Haeng Syaam ("The Love of Siam"), which is the first follow-on film from the folks who made that wonderful flick, Faen Chan.

I just rented the VCDs of this movie tonight, for 20 baht. It starts off with two cute little boys -- and you may start wondering, where is this heart-stealer? But after a long prologue, the actual movie begins.

There is also a gay subplot to the movie -- our hero's best friend confesses that he's gay and in love, and...

March 20th, 2008, 23:35
Terrific, I can't wait, in fact I will drop everything and rush out to get a copy...................... :cheers:

TrongpaiExpat
March 21st, 2008, 01:59
Typical Thai movie that leaves farangs scratching their heads.

The two male leads do kiss but that's all. It's fun to pick out all the location shots in Bangkok.

dave_tf-old
March 21st, 2008, 11:29
You've said it was from the people who made Faen Chan. I got the impression from listening to the director's commentary from the film Dorm (which I mentioned a little while back) that he also had done this Faen Chan. I could be getting my titles crossed. If so, this is one fine young director. I'm sure there is a lot of dreck in Thai language cinema, but it's good to know there is some fine young talent too. I think as time goes on, Thailand will establish an excellent reputation in film, and not just as a location.

As for the actor. Couldn't be cuter with feathers in his hair.

PeterUK
March 21st, 2008, 12:31
This movie just picked up an award at the Thai "Oscars".

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. I believe 'Bangkok Love Story' swept the board for awards and it's one of the crappiest movies I've ever had the misfortune to sit through.

TrongpaiExpat
March 21st, 2008, 12:47
This movie just picked up an award at the Thai "Oscars".

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. I believe 'Bangkok Love Story' swept the board for awards and it's one of the crappiest movies I've ever had the misfortune to sit through.

According to my BF the crappiest movie of the year was the American Film that swept the awards, 'No County for Old Men'. He was offended that the villain did not get his just rewards in the end. He was appalled there was no car chase, no ghosts and no music sound track and special sound effects like when some one is hit in the stomach, a base drum is hit. No one cried and not one death bed scene with grieving lovers.

I assume most of you don't watch the Thai soaps on TV. Ch 3 apparently has bought the rights or maybe stolen them to a lot of theme music to US TV shows of the 60 and 70's. They use the theme for the Munsters, Bewitched, The Andy Griffin show and others. The music comes and goes at very dramatic moments.

TrongpaiExpat
March 21st, 2008, 13:52
The ending is very sad, and I've heard suggestions that it was deliberately made that way to avoid problems with the censors.

Sad, funny I found it sort of refreshing. Acceptance of a sort but left me hanging.

The Thai Censors: Must be a fun group to party with. I wonder if they go around with pixilated screens to blur out cigarettes, cigars, pipes, guns and knifes, boobs, toots and cleavage. I noticed in one movie once they even blurred out kitchen cutlery!

Smiles
March 21st, 2008, 17:25
" ... According to my BF the crappiest movie of the year was the American Film that swept the awards, 'No County for Old Men' ... "
Surprisingly, my guy loved "No Country ...".
I say surprising simply because ~ like most Thai guys from 14 thru 60 ~ he loves his 'action' sequences. The ending jolted him, as it did me, but he thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless.
I liked "Fargo" a bit more than "No Country ...".

Looking forward to viewing this new movie "Rak Heng Siam", and thanks for the heads up.

Cheers ...

March 21st, 2008, 18:19
really enjoyed Love of Siam. the gay relationship is the main storyline of the movie, but quite unusual for a Thai movie, there are several different storylines through it, no ladyboys or ghosts, and the little fat guy who seems to be in every other Thai movie is nowhere to be seen. The actors are quite pleasing to the eye as well.
definitely worth a look.

March 21st, 2008, 19:57
Typical Thai movie that leaves farangs scratching their heads.The only Thai movies I like are their slapstick vampire movies. They're always set in a village, the vampire is female and her target is the intestines of some (usually) stunningly attractive young man

March 21st, 2008, 20:43
... target is the intestines of some (usually) stunningly attractive young man

...could describe most of the members of this message board :cheers:

fedssocr
March 22nd, 2008, 01:19
Love of Siam won 3 awards at the Thai "Oscars". It won for best film, best director, and best supporting actress for the girl who plays June. I think Bangkok Love Story won something like 13 awards mainly for technical categories.

Love of Siam was my fave film of last year. Not sure I agree that the family story was especially realistic, but certainly quite melodramatic. Both of the leads are adorable. I cried through pretty much the whole movie. I think the ending was probably pretty realistic according the Thai people that I know. Certainly it is not the ending Hollywood would have made.

March 22nd, 2008, 19:12
The DVD of this film was just released in Chiang Mai today. No English to be found anywhere, not even subtitles, but the image quality is superb, and the enclosed freebie-booklet has some really good photographs. Mine cost 269 baht.

March 22nd, 2008, 23:42
...No English to be found anywhere, not even subtitles,

I'd probably have to watch the film several times before I could even take my eyes off the guy to even read the subtitles.

March 23rd, 2008, 20:27
I think the title of this message (Gay Heart-Throb Mario Maurer) may be a little misleading, as Mario has not come out as gay, nor is there any "buzz" that I've come across. Yes, he is a heart-throb -- for both straight girls and gay guys.

fedssocr
March 23rd, 2008, 21:22
unfortunately the producers chose not to release the DVD with English subtitles even though the theatrical release did have subtitles. I have read that the overseas rights to the film were sold, so eventually we should see a DVD version with subtitles emerge somewhere in the world.

March 23rd, 2008, 21:36
I think the title of this message (Gay Heart-Throb Mario Maurer) may be a little misleading, as Mario has not come out as gay, nor is there any "buzz" that I've come across. Yes, he is a heart-throb -- for both straight girls and gay guys.Zorro The Gay Blade has made it to my "watch" list

March 23rd, 2008, 21:39
Was it something I said?

llz
March 24th, 2008, 00:03
There is a thai teenager film which has just been released ; it is called "Pit Thoem Yai Huajai Wawun" and is about four highschool boys finding love during the summer holidays. Nothing gay, but the boys are of course very cute from what I have seen on the trailer ...
Now on all thai screens (including Royal Garden in Pattaya).

bkkguy
March 24th, 2008, 02:31
No English to be found anywhere, not even subtitles

the subtitles are available on the usual pirate sites

bkkguy

March 24th, 2008, 03:11
Aside from the great video quality and the cute booklet -- and avoiding the 3-VCD shuffle -- you can also turn on the Thai subtitles, which sometimes helps a great deal in understanding what's being said. Of course, I often turn on the English subtitles during movies made in difficult English!

netrix
March 25th, 2008, 15:45
from The Love of Siam

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ikyem-brXk