View Full Version : Where Do You Go for Live Music in BKK and Pattaya

adman5000
March 20th, 2008, 08:06
I sometimes like to do something other than bowling or the movies when going somewhere outside the bedroom with a friend. On the past trip I tried to visit some live music places.

In BKK, I enjoy the Tawadang Brew House. The food is pretty good, reasonably priced, and I always enjoy the show and Thai music. Overall, I think it is a good deal. Does anyone have any other places to recommend?

In Pattaya, on the way to the Hard Rock Cafe where the band did not start until 10:45PM, we stopped by the Star Dice Beach Cafe (I think that was the name) on Beach Road a few blocks from the Hard Rock Cafe. The band was doing some American oldies but goodies and the guy who sings at Le Cafe Royale was singing. Someone said there is also a Lao Music place near Boystown on the opposite side of the street but that it might be too hot for the farang. Has anyone been there? What other music venues have you enjoyed?

I like to plan my next trip while the last trip is still fresh in my mind.

netrix
March 20th, 2008, 10:28
Live music - especially popular rock oldies - can be heard at several open-air bars along Walking Street.

The Blues Factory on Soi Lucky Star (just off Walking Street) features the Lam Morrison Band (except
Mondays) and is considered to have the best live rock/blues music in Pattaya. I have not been but
friends like it. www.thebluesfactorypattaya.com (http://www.thebluesfactorypattaya.com)

A gay thai friend took me to a popular bar on Walking Street that was a lot of fun. We got there about
10:30 and by 11 pm the place was packed. The band was great and played a lot of Black Eyed Peas
and other popular rock/pop songs the crowd really liked. I can't remember the name but it is one
of the larger bars, air con inside, on the south side of the street on the right walking from Boyztown.
I remember it was a little way past Lucifer Bar. It's a few sois down right on Walking Street.
As most venues on Walking Street it is a straight bar, but my friend and I enjoyed dancing and drinks
with a friendly crowd. If I remember the name I will post it.

TrongpaiExpat
March 20th, 2008, 11:56
Have you ever been to an Issan Dance Spectacular? They are these huge staged events with singing, a lot of syncopated dancing and some strange melodramatic acting. All in Issan/Lao and I don't have a clue. It's loud, there's lots of people and excessive drinking is expected.

There's no one place, they move around but there's one just about every week some where in Bangkok or near-by. Sometimes it's in Suan Lum and others this park near 'on nut'.

Farangs are a rare sight, some do get dragged along by Thai GF. Promos are generally only in Thai and don't get any billing in the farang press.

After the novelty of Thai three man bands with a singer belting out Hotel California and Feelings with a Thai accent wears thin, give Issan music a try.

March 20th, 2008, 13:40
Have you ever been to an Issan Dance Spectacular? They are these huge staged events with singing, a lot of syncopated dancing and some strange melodramatic acting. All in Issan/Lao and I don't have a clue. It's loud, there's lots of people and excessive drinking is expected.

There's no one place, they move around but there's one just about every week some where in Bangkok or near-by. Sometimes it's in Suan Lum and others this park near 'on nut'.

Farangs are a rare sight, some do get dragged along by Thai GF. Promos are generally only in Thai and don't get any billing in the farang press.

After the novelty of Thai three man bands with a singer belting out Hotel California and Feelings with a Thai accent wears thin, give Issan music a try.

Please post if you hear of any in BKK.

TrongpaiExpat
March 20th, 2008, 13:47
Next is 7 April at Suan Lum performance by "E-san" 30B and 50B seats bring your own food and beer. It's not near the beer hall, it's closer to the boxing stadium to the right and in the back. Starts 7:30 (Thai time) and finish 0100 per order of the boys in brown unless they shut it down at midnight. If rain, no have. Bring ear plugs if you get seated next to a speaker and a pillow for your toot.

If you want a sample of Issan music packaged for farangs you might want to go to the Balcony Tonight at 10pm for the Issan party. I plan on going. The last one they had was not bad.

Balcony Issan Show (http://www.balconypub.com/showevent.html/event=080320)

March 20th, 2008, 14:31
On a totally different tack BKK is now becoming culturally more eclectic. I have seen a Wagner Opera ( by a local company). All through the year there are concerts by local Symphony Orchestras and quite a few visits by foreign opera, ballet and Symphony Orchestras

adman5000
March 20th, 2008, 17:45
Last year I did see an Issan show near the Night Bazaar. I could see it from my window at the Pinnacle and took a friend to check it out. It was great.

There was also some kind of multi-day Issan music festival in Pattaya while I was there. I was looking for a certain boy and was told a friend had talked him into going to the festival with something like 17 different Issan performers. I think it was in a park in Pattaya and as I recall it was either free or very cheap admission or so I was told.

I have been to several concerts with Issan music and really enjoy it. I noted on this board that the new Bird Cage Bar is having a well-known Issan singer Pee? do a performance. I have one of his CDs. I wish I were there to enjoy it and give the bar a lot of credit for offering such diverse entertainment. I have added them to my list to visit on the next trip.

puckered_penguin
March 20th, 2008, 18:12
Moon River Pub in The Thai Garden Resort Hotel on North Pattaya Road has an excellent Philippine Band with good beer and good food. Located opposite World Gems. Avoid Mondays.
Hopf House at the junction of Beach Road and Soi Post Office has a Philippine Band and the Italian manager sings popular opera as well as Queen songs.

TrongpaiExpat
March 20th, 2008, 20:19
Last year I did see an Issan show near the Night Bazaar. I could see it from my window at the Pinnacle and took a friend to check it out. It was great.

Terry (Wowpow) once told me that some dam music from the night bazaar kept him awake all night at the Pinnacle. Next morning he discovered the bedside radio was on very low.

TrongpaiExpat
March 21st, 2008, 01:46
Update on Balcony's Isaan Show: Very well done. I guess they learned from the packed house during the last Pride what fills the tables but this was much better.

Started at 10 and lasted till 1230. Several acts, some very good. Four live singers, dancing lady-boys and the well intended waiter dance team--so bad they were good.

March 21st, 2008, 10:43
Next is 7 April at Suan Lum performance by "E-san" 30B and 50B seats bring your own food and beer. It's not near the beer hall, it's closer to the boxing stadium to the right and in the back. Starts 7:30 (Thai time) and finish 0100 per order of the boys in brown unless they shut it down at midnight. If rain, no have. Bring ear plugs if you get seated next to a speaker and a pillow for your toot.

If you want a sample of Issan music packaged for farangs you might want to go to the Balcony Tonight at 10pm for the Issan party. I plan on going. The last one they had was not bad.

Balcony Issan Show (http://www.balconypub.com/showevent.html/event=080320)

Tks, I will mark that down in my diary.

Enjoyed the Isaan show at Balcony last night. Makes a change from the usual music booming out from each bar along Soi 4. Pity they had a ladyboy competition next door in Luminous at the same time, a bit of noise pollution coming from there.
One of the things I like to see is the reaction of the staff all along Soi 4 when the Isaan music begins, or when a faster section of a song starts up. A few just cant resist dancing.
One disappointment - no sticky rice available!!!!!!!

March 21st, 2008, 10:48
maybe true, but they wouldnt let me eat them with my Nam Tok Muu

TrongpaiExpat
March 21st, 2008, 12:35
Makes a change from the usual music booming out from each bar along Soi 4. Pity they had a ladyboy competition next door in Luminous at the same time, a bit of noise pollution coming from there.

I got there early and got a seat as far from Luminous as possible. That's a problem every night. Balcony kept cranking up the amp and blew one out near the end of the show trying to compete with next door.

I think if they knew this was going to attract this many people on a Thursday night they might have had an Isaan buffet with sticky rice but you could have just walked to Silom and the vendor on the corner had some. The fat guy on the NE corner of Convent and Silom had some very good kow neow and moo sate

adman5000
March 21st, 2008, 17:49
I must admit that I have not visited Soi 4. What are the bars/restaurants like here? I looked on DreadedNeds and it did not say anything about Luminous. Do you have a favorite and why?

At a minimum it sounds like I need to check out Balcony to see if they have an Issan show during my visit.

March 21st, 2008, 20:09
... it's wherever the Bangkok Symphony are performing. Sadly they don't seem to make it (as an orchestra) down Soi 4

March 22nd, 2008, 16:28

Was at a big Issan/Lao festival on 3rd Road in Pattaya. Very inexpensive. Not many farangs and a good time had by all.
Best to go with your favorite Thaiguy.

March 22nd, 2008, 18:00

Was at a big Issan/Lao festival on 3rd Road in Pattaya. Very inexpensive. Not many farangs and a good time had by all.
Best to go with your favorite Thaiguy.

H

We have, at the moment, the biggest name in Isaarn music booked for the Birdcasge on May 3rd. PEE SA DERD, absolutely fantastic. if you, as I, love Isaarn music.

I have been asking and asked various people if the elections will be taking place on May 4th, which would ruin the 3rd, As yet, no confirmations from any source or government body.

So, we intend to go ahead as planned.