PDA

View Full Version : A WARNING

adman5000
March 20th, 2008, 07:40
During my recent trip to BKK, I had two possibly related situations occur. Both occurred in Silom Complex? near Saladaeng BTS. I occasionally walk through there when using the BTS, using the ATM, shipping at Tops, having an ice cream, and also to cool off while walking in the area. I try not to use the bathrooms there as it is not my kind of surroundings to meet people and I have been approached there in the past. But I do walk around the complex from floor to floor window shopping, and yes, perhaps looking at a cute boy or two.

During one walk I noted they were installing new and additional cameras near the first floor escalator.

On a subsequent visit while on my walk I was approached by a middle aged/older guy who asked me if he could talk to me. I asked him what he wanted and he asked "Where are you from?" I said " Sorry, I don't know you and I don't talk with people I don't know." and walked away.

On another week while I was using the ATM and I noticed a middle aged clean cut neatly dressed guy in jeans and a dress shirt sitting in the restaurant area watching me. When I finished and walked upstairs, he followed me but went in the direction of the bathroom. I went the other way up to the next level, he quickly came out of the bathroom and repeated the process on the next floor. Again I continued to the next floor and he repeated the process, quickly exiting the bathroom and doing the same on the next floor. I continued on my walk to the bookstore but did not see him again.

My guess was that they were using undercover cops or security to catch or discourage bathroom cruising. So for anyone who goes there to cruise, beware.

March 20th, 2008, 08:49
If this gentleman was Thai, it's more likely you were being cruised than being cased by an undercover cop.

March 20th, 2008, 09:13
From what you've written, it sounds more likely that the guys were cruising. I've never heard of an 'undercover' cop coming up to you and blatently ask where you're from. Doesn't sound very undercover to me. If he was a cop, or some kind of security guard, it's unlikely he'd allow you to just walk away once he'd tried to speak with you.

March 20th, 2008, 14:15
There is also one guy with white/grey hair, always neatly dressed, who chats up strangers in excellent English. I've seen him in Lumpini park, on Silom and in Silom Complex. I'm not sure what he wants but have always assumed he tries to pull some sort of scam.

March 20th, 2008, 16:17
There is also one guy with white/grey hair, always neatly dressed, who chats up strangers in excellent English. I've seen him in Lumpini park, on Silom and in Silom Complex. I'm not sure what he wants but have always assumed he tries to pull some sort of scam.

The guy you are talking about is almost certainly Khun Mak, he is always dressed casually, speaks excellent English and oozes an air of friendliness.

He trys to engage you in conversation and has a pocket book of names and addresses of his 'friends' around the world which he will show to you.

After engaging you in a friendly conversation about where you are from and where you have visited in Thailand he will usually ask if you want a boy or a girl. He pimps for a number of clubs and makes his money that way, although he claims to be employed as a window cleaner. If you are not in the market for his offer then he usually asks for 100 Baht to get something to eat, his favourite place to take farangs to eat is the Mcdonalds at Robinsons. He is quite harmless but can be a bit persistent.

adman5000
March 20th, 2008, 17:34
AGB and NBN
You have described the guy who approached me exactly. He was so friendly almost acted as if he knew me. His English barely had a hint of any accent.

Great. Thanks. You have solved the mystery. It is pretty amazing that someone on this board even knew his name! I love it. Does he have a book with pictures like some of the massage places do?

March 20th, 2008, 17:35
On a subsequent visit while on my walk I was approached by a middle aged/older guy who asked me if he could talk to me. I asked him what he wanted and he asked "Where are you from?" I said " Sorry, I don't know you and I don't talk with people I don't know." and walked away.

The person who spoke to you in Silom Complex may have been one of the recruiters for the Long Yang Club (LYC). Several of our elderly members like to hang out at the Chesters coffee shop on the second floor and watch the guys cruise the escalators. Sometime when they see someone who fits our member profile then they will follow them around, even into the toilets, and ask them if they want to join LYC. We get a lot of new members this way.

thrillbill
March 20th, 2008, 17:45
I sometimes don't have good "Gaydar" to notice who is on cruise-control but Silom Complex is full of commercial boys who seem (many) desperate for fast cash. How about the Thai fellow, in his 20's)who runs up to you (inside or outside of Silom Complex) laughing and says,"Don't I know you?" Then you start thinking if you have or not at soi 4 ...2 ...or whatever. He then starts asking the typical questions Where you from?...Where you going?.What's your name? This same guy has done it twice to me this year and I found out from my buddies who live in BKK that they are approached by this unattractive (doesn't brush his teeth) young man asking the same thing, "Don't I know you?" :cheers:

March 20th, 2008, 18:50
AGB and NBN
You have described the guy who approached me exactly. He was so friendly almost acted as if he knew me. His English barely had a hint of any accent.

Great. Thanks. You have solved the mystery. It is pretty amazing that someone on this board even knew his name! I love it. Does he have a book with pictures like some of the massage places do?

As far a having a book of pictures, I can't answer that one.

I often bump into him in Lumpini Park early afternoon but as he knows I am a local he just smiles and says hello.

If you do get talking to him is a an intelligent guy and obviously well educated and can hold an interesting conversation but be warned that he will always expect a tip at the end. He is a Bangkok character and has been around for the past ten years to my own knowledge.

fedssocr
March 21st, 2008, 07:10
I sometimes don't have good "Gaydar" to notice who is on cruise-control but Silom Complex is full of commercial boys who seem (many) desperate for fast cash. How about the Thai fellow, in his 20's)who runs up to you (inside or outside of Silom Complex) laughing and says,"Don't I know you?" Then you start thinking if you have or not at soi 4 ...2 ...or whatever. He then starts asking the typical questions Where you from?...Where you going?.What's your name? This same guy has done it twice to me this year and I found out from my buddies who live in BKK that they are approached by this unattractive (doesn't brush his teeth) young man asking the same thing, "Don't I know you?" :cheers:

I had a similar encounter a couple of years ago. I was walking around the corner from Rama IV onto Silom when a young Thai guy grabbed my elbow and said hello and something like either "don't I know you" or "good to see you again". I stood there for a second trying to figure out if he was some one I had met. He asked the where you from, where are you going... I told him I was just out for a walk, which was true. And he asked if he could walk with me. I told him I preferred to walk alone. I assumed he was working a scam too. But felt bad later about thinking that way. I don't recall him having dental issues but I didn't spend much time talking with him. It definitely felt weird to me.

March 21st, 2008, 07:35
There is also one guy with white/grey hair, always neatly dressed, who chats up strangers in excellent English. I've seen him in Lumpini park, on Silom and in Silom Complex. I'm not sure what he wants but have always assumed he tries to pull some sort of scam.No, he's an out-and-out gerontophile

andrewcraig
March 21st, 2008, 08:17
The person who spoke to you in Silom Complex may have been one of the recruiters for the Long Yang Club (LYC). Several of our elderly members like to hang out at the Chesters coffee shop on the second floor and watch the guys cruise the escalators. Sometime when they see someone who fits our member profile then they will follow them around, even into the toilets, and ask them if they want to join LYC. We get a lot of new members this way.

Sounds like someone has a grudge with Long Yang Club and wants to slag the membership. I think this is almost libelous.

March 21st, 2008, 15:14
LYCT gets my prize for funniest remark in this thread, re the LYC. I alwas thought that LYC a bit funny, but could never pin it down. Now I know.

There are a couple of other "characters" who seem to spend their retirement days in and around Silom Complex. I mean white guys. Can that be discussed or would the congregation be offended?

catawampuscat
March 21st, 2008, 17:00
LYCT's first post begs to be beheaded.
Can boygeenyus/noom lex be working his way back in :idea: or heavens forbid, bbb or one
of the other trolls currently lost in cyberspace and unable to contaminate every thread..

It is insulting to the LYC..... :cat:

Smiles
March 21st, 2008, 17:11
" ... It is insulting to the LYC ... "

" ... LYCT gets my prize for funniest remark in this thread ... "
Insulting or funny? Perhaps Raksiam might step up and start a poll ( worded so as not to get deleted :blackeye: ).

Pre-poll ... I also think it's very funny.

Cheers ...

catawampuscat
March 21st, 2008, 17:18
It can be funny and insulting smiles.
Sarcastic humour is very funny unless it is directed towards you or your business/club/ special interest.

No challenge as to it being funny and that is why my early suspicions lean towards bg/noom lex as he is
very witty, and often a riot but a tad sarcastic ofttimes.. :cat:

March 21st, 2008, 20:15
There are a couple of other "characters" who seem to spend their retirement days in and around Silom Complex. I mean white guys. Can that be discussed or would the congregation be offended?One of them bears a distinct resemblance to the Duke of Windsor, but would have to have been conceived after he married that ghastly American woman

March 21st, 2008, 21:40
LYCT gets my prize for funniest remark in this thread, re the LYC. I alwas thought that LYC a bit funny, but could never pin it down. Now I know.

"I alwas thought that LYC a bit funny" Maybe Funny - Weird ... but definitely not Funny - Ha Ha.
A few months ago I picked up a couple of boys in Soi Twilight and they asked me to take them to GOD disco. When we got there it had not got going so we popped into the bar next door. Turns out that it's the bar where all the LYC meet up but it was nearly empty. The staff were alright and the barman knew one of the lads I was with, but we got a lot of strange looks from the few miserable old farangs lurking around. I guess they don't like seeing non-members there. Not the friendliest atmosphere I've experienced in Thailand. :sad1:

March 22nd, 2008, 00:11
Not the friendliest atmosphere I've experienced in Thailand. :sad1:Ah yes - @Richards. One of the owners was the former long-time owner of Telephone Bar. There are still people who insist Telephone Bar was a success because of him. My view (and it's borne out by @Richards not being well-patronised) is that it was a success in spite of him, and owes it all to that real estate adage - location, location, location. That, and a complete lack of competition for many years

lonelywombat
March 31st, 2008, 05:32

Interesting to reread LYCT original post and this new one[his second]

March 31st, 2008, 21:18
Telephone continues to succeed ...... despite a 50% drop in baht turnover. "succeed" is rather a stretch - "remain open" perhaps.

TrongpaiExpat
March 31st, 2008, 22:12
I have run across these LYC fellas once or twice in Bangkok and felt the same as coatimundi. Miserable old farangs with in-tow Thai boys who don't look like they want to be there. Not a group I would want to join but all the luck to them if it works for them.

I have dabbled in a few LYC's in U.S. on the off chance that I might get lucky but I never kept up with it. NYC LYC was working for a while and then there was some dispute and the group split. They had a float in the NYC Pride Parade.

Who's the owner of Telephone, that very round older guy with gray hair, what's left if it anyway?