PDA

View Full Version : Brief report on Chiang Mai bars

March 17th, 2008, 22:24
As almost everyone knows, Adam's Apple has been closed for years. There are persistent rumors that it will be re-opened, but those have been going on for years as well.

Other places:
Doi Boy -- a nice name, but I never go there and I don't know anyone who does.
Circle Pub -- this is the "upscale" gay bar in Chiang Mai, but the guys working there are a mix, just like other places. I don't care for the show, and never have.
Free Guy -- aside from Circle, this is the most popular bar in Chiang Mai. The show features extensive nudity but no sex.
My Way -- this bar went seriously downhill after the star left and opened his own restaurant. He was not only the star, he was the one who thought up all the shows, rehearsed them, and then monitored them every night. His restaurant is doing very well (serving Shan food a few steps away from My Way, but a gay karaoke place at night). He heard of the troubles of the old place, and has returned on a part-time basis -- so I need to take another look, soon.
The Garden Bar -- outside the closed Adam's Apple. It's a place for farang to meet other farang, like Soho (is that still open?)
The Night Bazaar bars -- I guess Cream Bar is the most popular. These bars are less costly than the other places in Chiang Mai.
Coffee Boy -- I hear it's closed, but I really don't care! :-0

To make this even shorter, I'd recommend "My Way" and "Free Guy," period.

pronto
March 20th, 2008, 01:45
My Way -- this bar went seriously downhill after the star left and opened his own restaurant. .... His restaurant is doing very well (serving Shan food a few steps away from My Way, but a gay karaoke place at night). To make this even shorter, I'd recommend "My Way" and "Free Guy," period.
I agree HC. It's "My Way" for me. And, I've eaten at the Shan food place across the street. Tasty.... food and scenery! Thanks for the report.

llz
March 20th, 2008, 02:19
Doi Boy is not so bad, you can sport some cuties there as well but it is true the bar is too large for the few customers who venture there.
Freeguy is the best for me, as well as the Night Bazaar bars - although I had a feeling that the boys were not really interested in tourists.

March 20th, 2008, 19:48
My Way -- this bar went seriously downhill after the star left and opened his own restaurant. .... His restaurant is doing very well (serving Shan food a few steps away from My Way, but a gay karaoke place at night). To make this even shorter, I'd recommend "My Way" and "Free Guy," period.
I agree HC. It's "My Way" for me. And, I've eaten at the Shan food place across the street. Tasty.... food and scenery! Thanks for the report.

Well, um, yes! The food is really good -- it's tasty and sold at Thai prices -- and where else in Thailand are you going to get genuine Shan (Thai Yai) food? And since the owner is a prince of a guy with many, many good friends, you're going to see a lot of handsome young Shan guys dining there! The official name is (I guess) Nong Mai Karaoke, but everybody calls it Raan Pet.

March 21st, 2008, 01:15
Talking to a boy tonight who had just come back from Chiang Mai, he said that Adams Apple was open again.

Anyone confirm?

billyhouston
March 21st, 2008, 04:54
The place was a hive of (building) activity when I was there ten days ago. Thinking about the state of the place then, it seems unlikely that it would be complete quite yet, though the word was that it would be opening sometime after Songkran.

March 21st, 2008, 18:08
Doi Boy is not so bad, you can sport some cuties there as well but it is true the bar is too large for the few customers who venture there.

Have visited Doi Boy on three different trips to Chiang Mai. Each time I and my campanion were the only customers in the bar during the time we spent there. I'm surprised it is still surviving!

As for the boys - if they moved occasionally to show they were still alive it might attract a few more customers!

March 21st, 2008, 20:08
Freeguy is the best for me, as well as the Night Bazaar bars - although I had a feeling that the boys were not really interested in tourists.Will they "do it" for free?

March 22nd, 2008, 19:06
The previous posts got me curious, so I went up to take a look and chat briefly with the staff at the Garden Bar.

There is a new owner -- a Californian -- and the place is being extensively re-worked. I think I heard that the second floor will "disappear." The ground floor will be a coffee shop/restaurant, and the top floor will be the new Adam's Apple. Current plans are to open in October.