PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: East of Chiang Mai

TrongpaiExpat
March 17th, 2008, 00:25
I have made many trips to Chiang Mai and North Thailand and the one area that seems omitted from many of the official travel brochures and maps is the Provinces to the East/Northeast of Chiang Mai. There's plenty of information and promotions on the Mai Hong Son Loop. Pai, Mae Sariang and up to Chiang Rai but little on Nan Province. Many of the tourist maps just cut off that corner of Thailand. I was looking at some more comprehensive maps and I see Mountains, National Parks, small towns and roads connecting it all, so I decided to take a trip to that area.

Nan was not long ago a 'government designated' remote province and they did not tow the TAT line and did not make it on the official 'Amazing Thailand' places with any major billing. It's tucked up in a corner of Thailand with a long mountainous border with Lao on one side and Phrae and Chiang Rai Province on the other side. The people of Nan have yet to learn how to bulk the tourist out of as much baht as possible and have not been jaded by hoards of trinket buying tourist. There are a few tour companies that take groups into the area and few independent travelers do visit but not any numbers. I learned that there are several reasons why the tour industry in Chiang Mai don't have a lot on offer for Nan and one that impressed me is that there is no established system of kick-backs. This may not last long, the area is quite picturesque.

In or after the wet season, not now, they do have some white water rafting companies. Things were pretty dry this time of year and I began skipping hikes to waterfalls as the water levels were low.

The journey began at at Bangkok with a short late afternoon NOK flight to Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai airport is looking old and is under some major renovations. The BF and I rented a car from BUDGET (http://www.budget.co.th/) and headed out southeast on Hwy 11. The first night we spent at the Lampang River Lodge (http://www.lampangriverlodge.com/map.html) I was more impressed by the grounds than the quite basic worn room. There was only one room available as this is one of the bus tour resorts. I suspect they make their money on the tour groups buying food at the expensive restaurant as this resort is 15k south of Lampang and not near any other restaurants. We were lucky to have a car and could drive into town for a decent meal at a reasonable price. The rooms do not have TVs. They saw the horror in the BF eyes when we were told that and someone showed up with a portable TV for him. The resort also was nice enough to save us some food after the tour bus people did the usual feeding frenzy on the free breakfast buffet.

We then drove a little further south on Rt. 11 and then back north on rt.101. We were headed to Nan but the roads don't go there directly and that's another reason Nan seems to be off the tour circuits. The road on rt. 101 was in good shape but lots of curves and steep hills. We drove off 101 to several side roads exploring historic sites, National Parks and a large cave. If I saw a blue attraction sign, I followed it.

We arrive at the city of Nan and stayed at the Dhevaraj Hotel (http://www.dhevarajhotel.com/) Don't be put off by the exterior of this hotel, it's nicer inside. The big sign on the roof is only in Thai. They don't have many rooms with AC and had only a suit available. The BF was able to able to get about 50% of the rack rate telling them that we will probably eat a lot of meals there and spend a lot of money in the Karaoke bar.

The city itself is a decent destination. It's old and steeped in history with lot of interesting sites and scenery. The people are wonderful and you don't get the oh hum another farang tourist attitude that is prevalent in Chiang Mai and you don't get the 100 ways to con the white guy syndrome. Not one person asked me where you go, instead they said welcome. I did get mobbed at the main museum when a group of school children spotted me and had to practice their English on me. A few at first, then all 50 of them, latter learned that the teacher was encouraging them to speak to me. Even though Nan Province has a long border with Lao, there's not a lot of Lao influence, it's pure Lanna with many still speaking Lanna as their first language.

There are some local ethnic groups, Thai Lu, Htin and Khamu. There's some "home stay" program that I kept seeing signs for. I would love the adventure but the BF thought it was a horrible idea, no TV, no AC and they are not really Thai people.

Nan is cris-crossed by Provincial roads, no major Highways. The roads were in good shape and most of the intersections well marked in bilingual signs, route numbers visible in most cases but we did take a few wrong turns here and there but sometimes the wrong road leads to a pleasant surprise.

National Parks of interest were Doi Phu Kha, Tham Phah Tup, Mai Nam Nam and Nam Phun. I found the mountain scenery every bit as nice as the Mai Hong Son loop from Chiang Mai. It's not quite as high as the highly touted Doi Inthanon which by the way has increased the "farang price" to 400B recently even though the new official farang price for National Parks is 200B. There were no tour buses, no mini vans and no sweating middle aged post-retirement farangs on a tour. No huge Chinese tour buses either, they could not make some of the hair-pin curves in the road.

The nature trails were a tad on the strenuous side. One of the caves was nice to see and the climb up a steep trail with stairs was a good work out. If you are not able to hike trails and climb a lot of stairs, you still can get a good feel for the scenery from the comfort of a car. I did self drive but I guess if you don't drive you could arrange something from Chiang Mai with a driver but good luck getting him to take you to Nan and if he is anything like all the drivers I have had in the past, you have to hang on to something on all the curves.

We headed back in a big loop to the north via the city of Phayao, a charming city by a nice lake. We did not spend much time in Phayao as we ran out of time and was spending the last night in Chiang Mai at the impeccable P.J.'s guest house. Rt 118 to Chiang Mai was slow going due to road construction.

Back in Chiang Mai, back in all the traffic and back to seeing farangs of all types in all manner of dress. Back to now to just being another farang of no notice.
I had always had a soft spot in my heart for Chiang Mai and someday might relocate there. I halfhearted did look at a few properties and was surprised that there was not a significant savings over Bangkok prices but when my lease comes up again in Bangkok, I shall give it a more serious look.

If your looking for a Lanna mountain experience and something off the beaten tourist spots, have already done all the usual Northern tours, I recommend Nan Province. Those without BF's could do a long term off with one from one of the Chiang Mai bars. I am sure it would not be hard to find someone willing to go with you and don't be afraid to travel independently without a tour guide.

Sen Yai
March 17th, 2008, 00:45
Nice report Trongpai. It's great to hear about some of the remotest parts of Thailand, well off the tourist trail and you are lucky to have the time (or just sensible to make the time) to visit these places.

You made a few references to your bf's needs for a TV in the room and lack of enthusiasm for 'home stays' but apart from that, I guess he's happy to go on tour around his own country with you. Most Thais I've met don't really have much interest in provinces other than their own.

adman5000
March 17th, 2008, 01:50
Thanks for the great information. I will cut and paste this for my next trip to add to my planned trip through Issan.
Also, I have never rented a car in Thailand but I am a Hertz Gold member so i assume i just need an International Drivers license and a good map!

Brad the Impala
March 17th, 2008, 02:11
Great report! Bf and I are enthused to do this trip already, next time we are in Thailand. As well as Dodger's River Kwai raft trip.

Reports like this are the BEST part of this forum.

March 17th, 2008, 02:22
T.E., great report. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle for us. Definitely sounds like an interesting area.

Adman5000, I have rented (Budget) an auto and driven in Thailand several times. Your home country driverтАЩs license is needed. It has been hit or miss if they asked for an international driverтАЩs license. However, I have always carried one just in case.

All of these trips have been to and from Issan. Once one gets away from the big city, the driving can be pleasant and full of interesting surprises.

I recall one May Day being held up on a rural road near Buriram while a parade went by. Your obligatory dance troupes and bands were well represented. What was most amazing were the floats. All had some form of a large / giant penis. Some mechanically activated! And no, I had not been drinking. Truly Amazing Thailand.

dave_tf-old
March 17th, 2008, 05:34
Excellent report. Nan was on my short list a couple of trips back, but didn't happen. Like Brad, you've whet my appetite for another attempt.

No TV? Heaven.

TrongpaiExpat
March 17th, 2008, 12:08
Adman5000:
Nan is not Issan, it was a separate isolated kingdom but then fell under the Lanna Kingdom latter. There's no Lao/Issan culture. There is only one remote boarder crossing, Hua Kon Nam but not an major import route. I think that area of Lao is almost unpopulated. I have though of following the provincial roads that are close to the Lao border and following them all the way down and along the Mekong to Nong Kai but that will take some more planing.

I have a Thai driver's license but used to rent cars with my just my US license before I moved here. Each of the Budget offices in Thailand seem to have some different procedures. At Udon, I signed and was in the car in 2 min. In Ubon, I had to show two forms of ID, leave a 20,000B deposit, and must have signed 10 forms.

You need several maps and if you going with a Thai boy get one in Thai. I guess I could buy a GPN computer/devise, I wonder how that works on these rural roads? It may take the fun out of getting lost.

Sen Yai:
Yes, some Thai boy's do not travel well. A long time ago I offed a boy and took him to Phuket and Pi Pi. He slept 14 hours a day, watched TV and ate. Walk anywhere, what are you nuts? You need to find the right boy or have a clear understanding that we are going to tour, walk, and see things not stay in the room and watch TV. You might give him a few hours of TV time but you need to define when and how much or it can get out of hand.

bao-bao
March 17th, 2008, 18:31
That was a very entertaining read. Thank you for taking the time to share the details!

It's often been a mystery to me why people travel all that way to just sit and drink day after day (or evening after evening, or both). YES, the "walking scenery" is often delightful, but to base the lion's share of a holiday around it?

To each their own, but there is so much more to explore in Thailand than the clubs.