PDA

View Full Version : HOTELS AND TRANSPORTATION REVIEW from recent trip

adman5000
March 16th, 2008, 18:25
On arrival at BKK, I checked into the Pinnacle Hotel as usual. While Jimmy is not good at confirming or answering e-mails, he always has my room reserved. I think it is an excellent price even though it has gone up slightly.. The lobby and dining area have been renovated. I liked the dining area a lot more but I thought the front desks versus a counter were ineffective. I hope the next round they refurb the rooms and A/C. I donтАЩt know if they use air filters but it always seems the air inside is very dirty. The breakfast is consistent and was a bit better this time as they had someone at the egg station continuously so they never ran out of fried eggs or omelets. The staff does a great job and I never had any problem with joiners. I book a double room.
I took the bus to Pattaya and but unfortunately did not make sure it was the VIP and it seemed to make a stop every mile so the trip took a lot longer than planned. But for 100 baht or so it is a cheap way to Pattaya if you have the time and arenтАЩt tired from just landing. If you are just coming in from the airport I would take a taxi. For my return to BKK from Pattaya for a flight within Thailand I used Mr. ToomтАЩs Taxi Service that others have commented on and found it reasonably priced (1200 baht including tolls) and the driver was very punctual and drove safely at a reasonable speed. MR.TOOM BKK. Call 081-4827148 or 083-0178066

In Pattaya I got a place without an advance reservation. I recommend advance reservations but because of my schedule, I gave it a try. If the Ambiance was full, I stayed at the Le Caf├й Royale and vice-versa. They are fairly similar in my opinion but I preferred the Ambiance for three reasons. 1)I like the American breakfast there better as I think it is a bit tastier, 2)they were a bit more security conscious in terms of consistently collecting ID cards and calling me as the boy was leaving to ensure all was ok, 3) during two visits they upgraded me to make my lower floor room available to other reservations (I had been a walk-in) - I can walk the stairs ok so this is fine. In fact during one visit I had one of the penthouses on the very top for a few days which was exceptionally nice with a balcony patio with chair, fan, and table and a gigantic room. I like the central location of these hotels.

For my trip to Issan I flew into Udon Thani on Thai Airways, While in Udon Thani I stayed at the Charhoen hotel which is convenient, central, clean, but I thought a bit expensive at 950 baht not including breakfast although the rate did include free airport transportation. I also enjoyed the live music at the Yellow Bird Disco next door. It is also within walking distance to the shopping complex and a short ride to the park.

Going into Nong Khai I took a taxi the first time which was arranged by the hotel and was 800 baht. Expensive but helpful to find out the layout of Nong Khai. Once I knew where things were and the town layout, I took the bus between Udon and Nong Khai which was cheap and took under one hour. I used the bus to travel between all the cities and found it cheap and comfortable with A/C. I think Thailand has a very good bus system.
In Nong Khai I stayed at the Panatwee Hotel. It was very reasonable at 600 Baht a night including a basic breakfast, within walking distance to the Mekong and restaurants, had a computer with unlimited free internet within the room, and had a very comfortable bed. The rooms are a bit basic but fine for me. I was surprised how quiet things were, but that was also a nice change. The markets were great for some good silk, Laos was close if you wanted to go (I have been), and I had some very good food at cheap prices. My favorite place was near the Mekong and was simply called Good Food. Most Thai dished were like 50-60 baht and very fresh and well prepared and you could sit and watch the river and the promenade. I did not find any boy bars but then in Issan I had not expected any. I think if I did this again I would bring a boy along. But I thought many of the waiters at the Vietnamese restaurant (Daengs I think) along the river were amazingly handsome.

I also took the bus to Khon Kaen and stayed at the Hotel Khon Kaen. It was about 650 baht including breakfast. It was also central and I took the baht bus everywhere for 8 baht. Laundry was also amazing cheap here at about 5 baht per item! I really liked the park by the lake and there were a lot of people walking, jogging, doing aerobics, and TaiтАЩChi in the evening so it was very entertaining. I also took the baht bus out to the university which had a gigantic campus. The bus takes you right inside and you can get off near the student union and look around. I walked to the Sofitel Hotel area as I read there were some clubs or massage places nearby. I looked for the Dragon but did not find it. Someone on another forum said they met some guys at the club under the Times Square sign but I found things quite quiet.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Issan trip. The people were fantastically friendly, the weather was surprisingly cool (many Thai were wearing jackets), good food, everything was reasonably cheap, and nice parks. It was a great way to sample the culture of Thailand without the emphasis on sex and booze. But my nightly dream of finding a young handsome rice farmer with a body of steel did not materialize.

When I returned to Bangkok, I booked into the Rose Hotel via phone. The rate was 1950 baht for a double room including breakfast. They did not have the deluxe room available. Although I was concerned about finding the hotel, their sign is very visible on Surawong so it was no problem. Some have commented about the dark Soi, but I think it is a pretty active Soi so no problem. Check-in was efficient and the rooms appear to have been recently renovated. The room was small but fine for me. Unfortunately after checking in, they slipped a note under my door saying that the power would be off the next day from 8am until 1:30 am. After talking to them I was told this would also affect the water as they used pumps and the electronic safe. I planned my next day accordingly and it was not a problem.
The main advantage of this hotel is location. The food was ok - very basic breakfast with OJ, eggs, toast, and meat and with 24 hour room service. The rooms could have been cleaned a little better as parts of the floor were dusty. Room had an inside safe but it was locked upon arrival. There were no problems with joiners and the friendliness was above average. It was a bit noisier than others because the center of the building is open and outside noise seems to echo. For me the biggest negative was sewer gas coming from the bathroom drains which actually woke me up during the night once or twice until I covered the drains. Laundry was expensive in my opinion at around 50 baht for a T-Shirt but was also same day service even though I got mine in at 11 am. It was a lot quicker to get to the bars and nice to avoid having to taxi back to the Pinnacle. I think the location trumps everything else for me so I will give them another try.

If you want to read my review of Pattaya Go-Go Bars: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 14260.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/pattaya-go-go-bars-review-from-my-recent-trip-t14260.html)

TrongpaiExpat
March 16th, 2008, 20:44
I wonder what bus you took that stopped every mile or so? You took one from Ekamai, the Eastern Bus Terminal? There's no VIP bus to Pattaya, it's A/C or none in basic government buses. A VIP bus would be a good idea.

The Charhoen Hotel in Udon in my opinion the best buy for the quality of the room. You missed the Breakfast, that's the best part of this hotel, something they call an Udon Omelet is the only reason I frequent this place.

Yes, the Panatwee Hotel is basic, nice touch with the computers in the room even though they are slow. I find the breakfast uneatable. A better option is the Tip Hotel, but not in the center of town like the Panatwee. Did you meet the flamboyant owner of the Panatwee?

In Nong Khai, I hope you made it to the Sala Kaew Sculpture Park.

Incredibly courageous and adventurous of you to go to some of the towns in the province via the Issan bus system all alone. What towns?

March 16th, 2008, 21:16
While its true that there are no VIP buses from Bangkok to Pattaya, there is a choice of a first class (number 1) bus and a second class bus (number2) which does stop anywhere to pick up or let off passengers. If you go through the normal booking procedure at either bus terminal, you will get a number 1 bus. Beware of touts trying to get you on to a number 2 bus. They often have very similar blue and orange appearance.

adman5000
March 16th, 2008, 21:23
I am exaggerating when I said it stopped every mile. It just seemed that way. Yes, it was from Ekamai.

At the hotel in Udon, I had a breakfast and also had the lunch buffet on my last day which was a good value for like 200 baht.

In Nong Khai, I did see the Tip Hotel when I walked to Tesco/Lotus. But I liked the location of my hotel better. I heard there was a good disco at the Tip Hotel, but I did not go investigate.
Yes, I did meet the owner of the hotel. He/she was very helpful in helping me locate places I was interested in and drew me maps as they did not have a good map of the town for some reason. He/she did get a bit miffed when I asked if there were any host bars in town. So at the front desk she loudly said "You mean prostitutes?!" So like I said in the post, next time I will take a boy with me if I feel the need.

I found the people incredibly helpful when using the bus system and felt they were looking out for me and telling me when I had to get off. I enjoyed the adventure and it forced me to practice my Thai. But I just went to the main towns mentioned.

TrongpaiExpat
March 16th, 2008, 21:26
Yes, I'm approached by those touts every time I go to Ekamai. I ignore them and make it to the first counter on the right, clearly marked Pattaya A/C.

Good rule in Thailand to live by, if anyone asks you where you are going, walk away and don't look back, pretend you don't speak English if you have to. Still, I wonder what's in it for them to get you to take the 2nd class bus?

The male staff at the Pantwee make a lot of eye contact with me when I am alone. Then when I am with the BF, they ignore me. Maybe it's my imagination.

The Tip Hotel has huge rooms but get a room on the opposite side of the disco. The disco is very loud. Busy only on weekends.

adman5000
March 16th, 2008, 21:26
I noramlly go to the bus window to make sure I get on the right class bus, but this time I was with a Thai friend who went with me and talked to one of the touts. It was still AC and blue/white, but had a lot of stops. Mai pen rai. Lesson learned.

thrillbill
March 16th, 2008, 23:07
This forum writer sounds like an arrogant s.o.a.b....I am glad not to run into him. YUCK PS I wonder which hotels he stayed at did NOT have the toilet paper in a triangle?

ceejay
March 16th, 2008, 23:35
Actually, there are two host bars in Nong Khai - My Bar, and the Zone Beer Bar. They are next door to each other, on the Meechai Road. Both look very ramshackle from the outside.

I can't tell you what they were like - I only find them on the last day of my trip there last year. I was there for the Naga Festival, not the boys. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has visited them.

I stayed at the Pantawee as well and it is pretty much as described - basic, but good value for money. The location is about as central as you can get. The only problem I had there was that, because the hotel was full for the festival, they had run out of safety deposit boxes in reception - and there was no safe in my room. No problems though - nothing was touched. Could have been a concern though - most of the rooms are located around a sort of courtyard and you can get access to this from an alley that runs behind the hotel - which could be a security concern, but could also have its uses!

I definitely agree Sala Keo Kou is a must to visit - I've never seen anywhere remotely like it. It also photographs beautifully.

Place to avoid - Mut Mee Guesthouse. Very heavily promoted on the net. Full of backpackers who keep each others company and have seen and done so much more than a sad middle aged git like me. Run by an Englishman who revels in being mother hen to this lot, and is so pleased with himself as the Fount of All Local Knowledge.

I may well visit Nong Khai again - apart from the 3 busy festival days it must be one of the nicest places on earth to spend a few days doing nothing.

Incidentally, I travelled there by overnight sleeper train from Bangkok. It leaves at about 9.30 at night, and gets into Nong Khai about 9.30 in the morning. This connected with my flight conveniently - I took a cab direct from the airport to Hualumpong station so the time I would have spent sleeping anyway was used to travel as well. The first class sleepers look a bit scruffy until the attendants come round and convert them into beds - then the linen, everything is immaculate and it is surprisingly comfortable. It is two sharing however, so its pot luck who you get to share with - unless you go with a friend. I got an absolutely charming Australian on the way out and a much less charming German on the way back. If you want to get first class sleeper tickets, its best to book in advance. You can do this up to 60 days ahead. I used a travel agant called ThaiPro for that.

March 16th, 2008, 23:36
While its true that there are no VIP buses from Bangkok to Pattaya, there is a choice of a first class (number 1) bus and a second class bus (number2) which does stop anywhere to pick up or let off passengers. If you go through the normal booking procedure at either bus terminal, you will get a number 1 bus. Beware of touts trying to get you on to a number 2 bus. They often have very similar blue and orange appearance.

They are in fact all from the same bus company, all called VIP buses and although the newer and more comfortable buses are the direct ones some of the older ones are occasionally used on this route depending on what is being serviced. The only way of telling from the bus is if you read Thai (and even then there are exceptions!). I presume you meant blue and white. The "touts" are generally from the bus company trying to sell tickets on the indirect route to fill the bus up quicker so that it can leave.

You will not always get a direct ticket just by buying from the ticket window, as the staff there will also try to ensure that all the buses are full before departure; the simplest way is simply to ask and to ensure you have paid the higher rate if two ticket prices are shown.

adman5000
March 17th, 2008, 00:13
ThrillBill - No one has ever called me arrogant and you are quite mistaken. I may supply a bit more detail than most posters, but that is to avoid an endless flurry of questions. Some people take the time to post something which might help others enjoy themselves and some folks get their thrills by making critical and uncalled-for useless observations about people they know nothing about.

March 17th, 2008, 00:39
This forum writer sounds like an arrogant s.o.a.b....I am glad not to run into him. YUCK PS I wonder which hotels he stayed at did NOT have the toilet paper in a triangle?

A strange comment coming from someone who is always posting asking for information or complaining.

AFAIAA there is no obligation for you to read adam5000's posts. Have you considered that many readers may find them informative and the forum is not here for your exclusive use? Although I have absolutely no interest in Pattaya I found the posts both informative and just as importantly very well written.

TrongpaiExpat
March 17th, 2008, 00:50
I was there for the Naga Festival, not the boys. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has visited them.

I stayed at the Pantawee as well and it is pretty much as described -

That's a coincidence, I was staying at the Pantwee last year also during the Naga Festival. There was no gas balls last year to speak of. I watched from the river bank in Pon Psi for hours. The party went on anyways.

ceejay
March 17th, 2008, 01:02
There was no gas balls last year to speak of. I watched from the river bank in Pon Psi for hours. The party went on anyways.

Ships that cross in the night! I went up to Pon Si on the day as well!!

March 17th, 2008, 07:09
On arrival at BKK, I checked into the Pinnacle Hotel as usual. While Jimmy is not good at confirming or answering e-mails, he always has my room reserved. I think it is an excellent price even though it has gone up slightly.. The lobby and dining area have been renovated. I liked the dining area a lot more but I thought the front desks versus a counter were ineffective. I hope the next round they refurb the rooms and A/C. I donтАЩt know if they use air filters but it always seems the air inside is very dirty. The breakfast is consistent and was a bit better this time as they had someone at the egg station continuously so they never ran out of fried eggs or omelets. The staff does a great job and I never had any problem with joiners. I book a double room.

how much is the deluxe room nowadays? (for single). So you can still take a guest with you (without a fee) and they don't want his ID card? (if you just walk by the desk right to the elevators)

TrongpaiExpat
March 17th, 2008, 19:29
There was no gas balls last year to speak of. I watched from the river bank in Pon Psi for hours. The party went on anyways.

Ships that cross in the night! I went up to Pon Si on the day as well!!

here is my report from last year: www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/bongfai-phayanak-t13193.html?highlight=naga (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/bongfai-phayanak-t13193.html?highlight=naga)

".................. they advertise in a some gay magazines but is not a gay hotel.
In fact we were probable the only gay guests............"

I guess not!

March 18th, 2008, 22:42
Thanks for a great post Adman. Issan is an area I visit frequently, especially Nong Khai where I lived and spent six very happy years. I have some friends visiting presently and took them on an Issan trip last week. We stayed in Nong Khai for three days staying at the Royal Mekong Hotel.

We also stayed overnight at the Siam Bungalows in Sang Khom where I have stayed regularly for years whilst visiting the Nong Khai area. It is about 80 kilometers from the town of Nong Khai and is a lovely drive following the river, past the towns of Tha Bo and Si Chiang Mai.

Here is a pic from the new walkway at the back of the bungalows looking down river toward San Khom and further.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/IMGP1039.jpg

In Nong Khai, I hope you made it to the Sala Kaew Sculpture Park.

Me too TE. I think that the Sala Kaew sculpture park is a must to visit for everyone whilst in Nong Khai. Sala Kaew, was the brainchild of Luang Pu Bunleua Surirat whose remains can be seen at the top of the admin building, encased in a glass dome. I don't know what Pa Surirat was on when he designed Sala Kaew, but I would sure like to get hold of some of the same. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

I know that there are pictures available on the net, but without wishing to sound like a pretentious prick, I think mine are better. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/Wink.gif Here are some pics taken last week. Hope you enjoy them.

Choc Dee,

George.

The front of the park.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/IMGA2362.jpg

A few more of my personal favourites.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/IMGA2373.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/IMGA2370-1.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/IMGA2387.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/IMGA2390.jpg