PDA

View Full Version : DELETED

March 14th, 2008, 22:43
DELETED

March 15th, 2008, 13:04
DELETED

jinks
March 16th, 2008, 05:20
Sorry John, no sticky tabs available until next week.

However, I have put it in the calendar to keep Smiles happy.

March 16th, 2008, 11:34
If you are feeling generous, why not just make a donation?

If I go to Hell it will be because I am sent there, not for a brief voluntary visit! Prior to coming to Thailand I regulaly attended dozens of formal dinners, Summer balls, etc, but a "Gala Dinner" (which this clearly is not), with one glass of "Champaign", surrounded by a bunch of nonentities in fancy dress (Dress Code: "formal" ?!) more interested in boosting their own egos than in any charity work is not my idea of a good night out - and that is in general, not just because of "The President".

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 16th, 2008, 13:41
oh such harsh words Gone Fishing but I'm fascinated by the word Champaign as well..is it a typeset error or will it be champagne ?

jinks
March 16th, 2008, 14:56
I'm fascinated by the word Champaign as well..is it a typeset error or will it be champagne ?

Congratulations :idea: You seem to be the first to have spotted the deliberate error.

March 16th, 2008, 18:39
DELETED

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 16th, 2008, 19:51
oh don't worry about having a stalker JB-it's so terribly smart these days.

Everyone in Hollywood has one. In fact it really signals you have finally arrived.

I don't think you could have gone to too many Garden Balls Gone Fishing for a lousy 1000 baht !!

March 17th, 2008, 01:41
El Presidente:

obviously has a jealous spot for me

Your ego has misled you again.

.... a nice polo shirt with trousers is acceptable as is a shirt and tie .... Whats wrong with that?

Nothing at all, if you had said so, however trying to emulate a gala dinner invitation with a "formal" dress code (formal dress code for gala dinners means at least black tie, more traditionally tails) is as ridiculous as writing "president" three times on the invitation.

We are a business organsation ....

How strange - all other branches of the Rotary Club are charity organisations.

How dare you make such sweeping derogatory comments about people you know nothing about.

You can have no idea if I know "nothing" about them or not. As the writer of many "sweeping derogatory comments about people" here, such as "Thai men are huge cowards, they don't loose face by getting their mates to get involved in their fights. They also don't think twice about killing someone and don't ever think about the consequences of their actions" I will defer to your greater experience in this area.

Many people who will be at this event will have donated a lot of time and money to Rotary's work in assisting the poor people in Thailand and elsewhere in the world.

There must be a lot of outside visitors, as "your" branch previously had barely enough members to form a committee.

At least they are getting off thier backside and doing something. What do you do with your life? When did you last ....

That is both irrelevant and my own affair; you have chosen to make your life a public spectacle - I have not.

Well I can tell you some people who will be there on 27 March enjoying a meal will have done all those projects and more.

Very possibly, but the vast majority will not.

don't knock the work I and many of my friends are doing

I have never knocked the work done by Rotary and other similar organisations; I said that gala dinners were "not my idea of a good night out", hence my opening phrase "If you are feeling generous, why not just make a donation?"

I think your ego has got the better of you, once again, by inferring that you have been involved personally in any of the projects you name.

this adopted country of ours

As you have so little to say here in favour of either Thais or Thailand, and you have plenty to post ad nauseam against it, I am surprised to see you referring to it as being your adopted country.

L O'B:

You are quite right - 1,000 baht would barely have covered a glass of Sham-pagne!

He that gives to be seen would never relieve a man in the dark - Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
(relieve, as in give relief to, in case that eludes El Presidente)

Brad the Impala
March 17th, 2008, 02:36
Ole, Gone Fishing!!

Personally I have always disliked the hypocrisies of Rotary clubs, who parade as charitable organisations, which is generally just a veneer, while far more substantially they are simply organisations for business networking.

Wow, a five course dinner to stuff your face, and we give 300 Baht each, that will be ┬г5, from the "limited tickets available" to charity. Hallejulah Brother! That must be almost ┬г250 raised from fifty businessmen at the trough for the poor impoverished "deep south". That will definitely build them a school or two.

Of course all contributions to worthy causes should be welcomed, but don't expect blowing your own trumpet so hard to increase either your credibility or self worthiness. Here's an idea why don't you all have a dinner of pork and rice, and give 970 Baht from each 1,000 Baht ticket to charity?

March 17th, 2008, 09:24
DELETED

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 17th, 2008, 10:41
I must protest vehemently..what is so wrong with networking ???..hardly a crime and it brings people together who find a common purpose.

people in business do have a heart you know and do like to be charitable so if everyone benefits..why is there a problem ?

there can be added benefits. I went to a Rotary lunch once and the guest speaker-a politician couldn't make it ( a relief) so a visiting lad from Lapland agreed to give a little talk about his home..and what a treat he was ..18 ..tall ,blond and handsome..everyone sat to attention including businessmen I assumed were as straight as a dye !!...and I tell..the charity got a lot more money that day.. Mr Simpson the local haberdasher certainly had a stalk on him and I think the lad from Lapland got a few stalkers as well.

March 17th, 2008, 15:51
El Presidente,

you appear to have a deliberate problem understandng basic English.

Rotary is a club for business people who wish to give something back. So, you are wrong again Gone Mad.

That is not the same thing as "a business organisaton" - far from it. Since it carries out charitable work I described it as a "charity organisation", which is far from "wrong".

As for the President's title, again you are not familiar with Rotary etiquette. The poster was not done by me but by our PR Director.

Do you never take any responsibility for anything? Rotary etiquette is that titles are only generally used with other Rotarians, not outside the organisation as is the case here.

RI on its own has virtually wiped out Polio with its Polio Plus project.

Not strictly true; RI has raised over $600,000,000 towards the global eradication of polio and is the largest private contributor, for which it deserves due credit, but you are wrongly ignoring the WHO, UNICEF, and the US CDCP. Polio is also, regrettably, still endemic in Nigeria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

In hindsight if I had known that it would have created some venom from posters I would not have posted the details here.

The "venom" was not caused by the "details" of the function, or by Rotary, but by your offensive comments.

I was asked to write about Rotary from a gay man persective for Gay Affairs Pattaya which I have done.Anyone interested in reading it go to http://www.gayaffairspattaya.com/

Two very interesting points in your article (or was it an advertorial?):

Rotary isn't known to be a particularly "gay friendly" association. - a little "economical with the truth" and a point I would otherwise not have brought up, but RI were ordered, much against their will, to admit women by the US Supreme Court in 1987; gays were only admitted well over ten years later.

We also try live our lives and do business applying the Rotary "4 way test". - the 4 way test is Is it the truth? Is it fair to all concerned? Will it build good will and better friendships? Will it be beneficial to all concerned? Only a total hypocrite could consider that your posts here (and I am deliberately avoiding your present and past business practices) remotely pass these criteria.

I am now finished with this and defending my club, organisation and myself.I don't need to any more. .... put him onto ignor .... So there you go gone mad, you can slag me a Rotary off to your hearts content. I don't give a fuck!

You never needed to defend the Rotary organisation: as I said above "I have never knocked the work done by Rotary and other similar organisations", but doing so is far easier than defending yourself. You are trying to divert attention away from you and your crude and offensive comments about Thailand, Thais, and other charitable organisations and your own highly questionable ethics - none of which you have made any attempt to defend, justify or to take any responsibility for and which you are clearly going to continue to avoid.

I do agree with one point you make, however: I am sure intelligent level minded people can see through what is being posted here and make there own minds up.

March 17th, 2008, 20:12
Gone Mad is quickly replacing BG as my stalker and obviously has a jealous spot for me in his heart.

(on PGF Brino's Dinner Thread) BTW Why do you find it necessary to make fun of my name? It really does nothing to your credibility.

Love the consistency of your comments :cheers: A man after my own heart - give him a glass of Shampain.

March 18th, 2008, 09:03
DELETED

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 18th, 2008, 09:41
the trouble is he seems intent on sending everyone else mad as well !!!

March 19th, 2008, 00:52
I must protest vehemently..what is so wrong with networking ???..hardly a crime and it brings people together who find a common purpose......why is there a problem ?

I know it sometimes takes time to get through to some, so for the third time in this thread "I have never knocked the work done by Rotary and other similar organisations" . The "problem" is with hypocrites who deny responsibility for anything they say or publish, take every opportunity here to insult and malign the country and the people they say they have "adopted", use dubious business practices which would be illegal in their own country, and try to bask in the reflected glory of others as they have none of their own. You may approve of that, but I do not.

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 19th, 2008, 06:09
So what's your problem with this event ?

unless you personally know the people involved you can't really comment on what they have done in the past and no-one is going to frog-march you that glass of champaign.

Perhaps you had some bad experiences at your garden parties in the past and that's why you took up fishing but you don't seem to be catching much here either.

March 21st, 2008, 00:06
Just what can you not understand?

Missing out any reference to the parts which have been moved, I would have thought my first post explaining my "problem with this event" was pretty self-explanatory:

If you are feeling generous, why not just make a donation?

If I go to Hell it will be because I am sent there, not for a brief voluntary visit! Prior to coming to Thailand I regularly attended dozens of formal dinners, Summer balls, etc, but a "Gala Dinner" (which this clearly is not), with one glass of "Champaign", surrounded by a bunch of nonentities in fancy dress (Dress Code: "formal" ?!) more interested in boosting their own egos than in any charity work is not my idea of a good night out - and that is in general, not just because of "The President".

As for your view that "unless you personally know the people involved you can't really comment on what they have done in the past", I quite agree as a general rule, however when someone has made a point of self-promotion and self-publicity I think it is perfectly fair to pass comment based on what they themselves have said here or in other media which is readily available to any reader of this forum.

(This is a purely rhetorical question, so please do not feel any obligation to display your lack of basic comprehension skills any further - and if the administrators feel the need to add these posts to those others which were moved, I will empathize!)

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 21st, 2008, 07:06
my skills of comprehension are improving with your every post.

I didn't perceive this as anyone self promoting-rather a promotion for a rotary event.

over to you..

andrewcraig
March 21st, 2008, 07:12
Lets get this back on topic. Having been in Rotary and have heard all the bitching, I think John and his club are to be congratulated, and you have my best wishes for a very successful evening. If I retired to Pattaya I would join Rotary,as a way to keep myself from becoming bittered and twisted, as some expats on this forum appear to have become. For visitors you do not have to be a member of Rotary to attend a dinner meeting, just email the club for an invite. I have done this around the world and have met some wonderful people. Most times you meal cost is most reasonable.

I am posting about a Rotary function here for the first time. I invite anyone interested in enjoying a nice quality meal at a fair price in a nice restaurant whist doing a little to help a Rotary project in the terrorist south of Thailand to attended this event. There will be no raffles or other fund raising etc during this evening just your donation of 300 baht and 10% of any drinks you buy.

I know of one poster and his partner attending and I hope some other will come to and join me and my partner. Our club is very welcoming of gay couples.

Please contact me at my email address on the flier should you want to come.

Many thanks,

John
http://www.jinks.clara.net/03ads/rotaryinvite.jpg.http://www.jinks.clara.net/03ads/rotarymenu.jpg

March 21st, 2008, 08:55
DELETED

March 22nd, 2008, 00:18
my skills of comprehension are improving with your every post. .... over to you..

Well, they are not improving quickly enough to retain my interest - sorry to disappoint you.

March 22nd, 2008, 18:32
DELETED

March 23rd, 2008, 05:09
You know what? This ignore feature is brilliant. I am able to read posts now without having to read drivel from a poster who writes it.

If anyone hasn't used the feature yet I highly recommend it. As soon as BG/Noom Lex's reincarnation comes back I'll use the feature again.

Hi,

I think the respective organizations that receive anything from these events will receive them graciously and with gratitude for ANY amounts handed or given over to them.

I used to hate the analyzing by people whenever we did an event, which as I have said before, usually ended up with us swallowing bills and losing money on these events to get people telling us what we should have handed over, and then demanding to know your takings.

I agree, that it should be clearly stated if there is an entrance fee or a dinner charge, what percentage of these fees, if any, intend to be given to the charities but not then to be told what they feel should be given from bar takings etc.

As my Mother still says, " A bit of something is better than a lot of nothing!!!"

March 24th, 2008, 00:10
You know what? This ignore feature is brilliant. I am able to read posts now without having to read drivel from a poster who writes it.

If you are not reading them, how do you know it is drivel? What you have actually used it for is as an excuse not to reply. As usual, El Presidente, your actions and motivation are questionable, at best.

Kevin, I totally agree. I am not questioning the event (although I have no interest in attending it), or the organization concerned, although that is how the individual concerned is trying to make it appear.

March 26th, 2008, 04:27
Hi John, sorry for the late request, but could you please reserve two places for me at your dinner. By the way, I take it that there will be no problems in my bringing Gone Fishing along with me as my guest? http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/whistle.gif

Hope you have a enjoyable evening John and a successful one. I would have seriously considered attending, but am entertaining royalty that evening at home, perhaps another time. That's true by the way, what I said as to why I couldn't attend, read all about it here first, after the event.

Choc Dee John, good to see you back on form, I am pleased I am no longer a sparring partner of yours. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

George.

March 27th, 2008, 11:30
Dear John,

Good luck with the event, I hope your boyfriend does not turn his nose up at this one.

Full details will be requested so that the board can slag off any sums raised.[ quite normal and goes with the territory of fundraising]

Photos also required so we csn see who drank more than one glass of Champagne.

March 28th, 2008, 15:22
DELETED

Brad the Impala
March 29th, 2008, 17:43
Still counting John? It must be really adding up!

Glad you all had a good time and enjoyed the meal. As it was a charity event I guess all of the 700 Baht left from the ticket price, after the donation, went towards the ingredients. It just shows what can be achieved when you don't have to make a profit! How many guests were there?

jinks
March 29th, 2008, 17:56
My last one before I go.......

HEY a whole thread without a contribution by you know who.

March 29th, 2008, 18:12
My last one before I go.......

HEY a whole thread without a contribution by you know who.

Aha aha, let's see by what you have stated above and what I believed would be impossible for us to ever see again here at Sawadi, it stays like that. My money is on a post from him in this thread before you have even made it out of your neighborhood on the way to the airport. If there isn't one, it will only be because he doesn't want to prove me right. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/rolleyes.gif

Choc Dee jinks and Bon Voyage.

George.

March 30th, 2008, 21:25
DELETED

Brad the Impala
March 31st, 2008, 00:00
[quote="Brad the Impala":2fhwdir1]Still counting John? It must be really adding up!

Glad you all had a good time and enjoyed the meal. As it was a charity event I guess all of the 700 Baht left from the ticket price, after the donation, went towards the ingredients. It just shows what can be achieved when you don't have to make a profit! How many guests were there?

We were waiting for an answer from Pascal about the drinks amount and his donation. I got that today by email, so I have now emailed my treasurer and she will let me know how much we raised. I will guess it is around 26,000 Baht.

There were 72 people present, the maximum we could sit in comfort.

As for the cost, as I said, 700 Baht for a five course meal with tea and coffee in an establishment like Casa Pascals is bloody good value and I think if there was a profit it was pretty thin considering the quality of the food we received.[/quote:2fhwdir1]

So 361 Baht raised each, if your total of 26,000 Baht is correct, of which 300 Baht per person was raised from the ticket price. It all helps I expect, but ┬г6 per head from 72 people, who each got such a great value meal out of it, doesn't seem substantial.

Bob
March 31st, 2008, 04:15
doesn't seem substantial.

Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope. Come on, Brad, as Kevin said in another post, every amount helps and it's just a bit tacky to criticize a charity for not raising enough to meet your personal expectations. Geesh.

lonelywombat
March 31st, 2008, 05:30
[quote="John Botting":vy7t7h7k][quote="Brad the Impala":vy7t7h7k]Still counting John? It must be really adding up!

We were waiting for an answer from Pascal about the drinks amount and his donation. I got that today by email, so I have now emailed my treasurer and she will let me know how much we raised. I will guess it is around 26,000 Baht.

There were 72 people present, the maximum we could sit in comfort.

As for the cost, as I said, 700 Baht for a five course meal with tea and coffee in an establishment like Casa Pascals is bloody good value and I think if there was a profit it was pretty thin considering the quality of the food we received.[/quote:vy7t7h7k]

So 361 Baht raised each, if your total of 26,000 Baht is correct, of which 300 Baht per person was raised from the ticket price. It all helps I expect, but ┬г6 per head from 72 people, who each got such a great value meal out of it, doesn't seem substantial.[/quote:vy7t7h7k]

Congratulations on coming in over budget. God knows what Brad has to complain about.It is the small amounts from many functions that do the most good. Brad you could add your donation to swell the total, after all in Pound terms it would not break you. Put your money where your mouth is.

March 31st, 2008, 09:00
DELETED