PDA

View Full Version : Khon Kaen Cabaret

March 12th, 2008, 01:06
Tonight, after seeing my friends to bed I snuck out to investigate the nightlife of Khon Kaen. I had read up on numerous boards of a few places but (such is my luck) couldnтАЩt find them. In one final attempt to find something I scoured the neighbourhood to find a place called тАШDragonтАЩ a massage place, from vague directions collected from various boards. This place I did not find but was pleased to find a bar/cabaret recently opened named DEVAтАЩS.

In fact I was entranced by the bar tout, a good looking Thai boy, 22 years of age, a law student who spent two hours with me. Four Heineken cost me 300 baht. The тАШcoyoteтАЩ dancers appeared at 10.30 and their dance routines were very good. The Cabaret show that started at 11pm was better than most I have seen. The choreography was, well it was bloody brilliant. A really good variety of songs; good dancing, great singing, excellent acting. I was impressed too that not only were there songs in English but also a few in Thai.

So please, if you are in Khon Kaen do go and visit. They have only recently opened and it is well worth visiting and needs all the support it can get. It is close to the Sofitel Hotel under the тАШTimes SquareтАЩ sign, I am sure a Taxi driver could find it for you. I will try to clarify the address for you.

They have a website http://www.devasss.com/ which is mainly in Thai.

Michael
March 12th, 2008, 05:32
If you get a chance, please pop into Euan-Guy Bar/Restaurant/Massage (or Euan-Gay Restuarant as they mistakenly printed on some publicity.) God knows, they could do with the business!
It's a gay owned, managed and staffed place in the middle of no where. It's within Fairy Garden Centre (Not to be confused with Fairy Shopping Centre). Exit Big C, turning left and take the next left into Fairy Garden Centre. You can't miss it, it's the only thing in the area open at night in the middle of a garden centre! When they have customers (usually late)it tends to be gay professionals and students.
It's a great place to relax, as it's filled with 'interesting' Thai antiques/junk/furniture, which makes a refreshing change from the usual plastic furniture.

March 12th, 2008, 05:44
Exit Big C, turning left and take the next left into Fairy Garden Centre.Are there fairies at the bottom of the garden?

Michael
March 12th, 2008, 06:11
Why you'd want to start a business in the middle of nowhere is beyond me. Perhaps there's some Thai equivalent to Homi's suggestion of fairies at the bottom of the garden (or garden centre).
Nevermind, how nice to see a thread about something other than Pattaya!

thrillbill
March 12th, 2008, 06:25
Khan Kaen -- is this a name of an area in BKK. --Sorry, I only know Silom area.

lonelywombat
March 12th, 2008, 06:38
Khan Kaen -- is this a name of an area in BKK. --Sorry, I only know Silom area.

I know a little more than that ,but the links will give you a lot of detail

Thanks for the thread it opens up an interesting area to explore. I have always wanted to go to Issan but never knew where to start.

http://www.thailandguidebook.com/provin ... _kaen.html (http://www.thailandguidebook.com/provinces/khon_kaen.html)

http://www.khonkaen.com/

http://www.utopia-asia.com/tipsthai.htm#khon

dave_tf-old
March 12th, 2008, 08:12
Kohn Kaen is a nice small city and a university town which gives it perhaps a better night life than it might have otherwise. It's about 45 minutes by air from Bangkok and is serviced by bus as well. Prices for accomodation and food are about half what you'd pay for similar in Bangkok.

It's not very touristed (or touristy) by farang except during special festivals and what-not--then there might be more there, but mostly a younger and more back-pack set. There's not a great deal to see, and not set up especially well for tourists, but what is there retains much of the charm of old Thailand.

It's within easy striking distance of several lakes and fairly close to mountains and national parks.

As others have mentioned in previous discussions, it might be best to take a guy with you--especially an Issan guy or even one from the area. I wasn't aware until my first visit that the Issan (Lao) dialect was so different from standard Thai.

Overall it reminds me more of 'home' than anyplace I've been in Thailand--a small city in the middle of an agricultural area. Personally, it's in my top-five wishlist for places to consider a retirement, but it wouldn't be for the night-life...it would be for the laid-back pace and relative quiet while having many of the benefits of a genuine city.

I can't advise anybody on nightlife. It exists and this notice seems like a very Thai oriented place. I wish them well. If there are Bangkok-style host or go-go bars, I did not see them. Karaoke and Disco is popular and all were mixed that I visited. My guy told me that there were host bars there, but not for farang. Whether he knew or presumed, I don't know.

"Gay" is there, as it is anywhere in Thailand (especially with a university) but "ghetto" isn't. If you like or can get used to being the lone Westerner around, you'll have a better time. Unlike village visits, though, I was mostly met with shy reserve rather than open curiosity.