PDA

View Full Version : Paypal enquiry

PeterUK
March 10th, 2008, 11:38
I live in Thailand and want to order goods over the internet using Paypal. I tried to do this the other day but the discrepancy between the English billing address for my credit card and the Thai address to which I want the goods sent seemed to be a problem. I'm not sure if it's Paypal policy not to accept such transactions or whether I was just doing something wrong. I thought I might use the debit card from my Thai bank, but the assistant in the bank told me today that a debit card is not acceptable to Paypal even if it has the Visa logo. So now I'm stumped. I'm sure I've heard of farangs living in Thailand who buy stuff over the internet using Paypal. How do you guys do it?

dave_tf-old
March 10th, 2008, 12:04
Peter...I may be wrong, but I believe the bank assistant is incorrect.

Regardless, you might try just putting some money into your paypal account from your bank in England, then use the money in the account to make your purchase rather than your debit card.

GayThailand
March 10th, 2008, 12:13
I live in Thailand and want to order goods over the internet using Paypal. I tried to do this the other day but the discrepancy between the English billing address for my credit card and the Thai address to which I want the goods sent seemed to be a problem. I'm not sure if it's Paypal policy not to accept such transactions or whether I was just doing something wrong. I thought I might use the debit card from my Thai bank, but the assistant in the bank told me today that a debit card is not acceptable to Paypal even if it has the Visa logo. So now I'm stumped. I'm sure I've heard of farangs living in Thailand who buy stuff over the internet using Paypal. How do you guys do it?

Peter,

I donтАЩt think that is a Paypal policy. If you are using a site that accepts Paypal, it should not matter the shipping address at all. All you should do is to log into your account and pay through the paypal center. Is this what happened? Or, were you using your Paypal credit card?

If you are using a paypal credit card or any other credit card that has a different billing address and trying to ship to Thailand, that will send up a red alert to your bank and most will deny the transaction. I have tried this with Chase and Citibank and both denied the charge and they also put a red flag on my account until I called them and told them it was me who tried the transaction and they then said it was OK for the charge. They want to make sure this is not a fraudulent transaction.

One alternative I like is epassporte.com. They give you a debit card that can ONLY be swiped and another card that can only be used online. This prevents a lot of online fraud. They also have reasonable rates and are easy to work with and use.

My boyfriend has a paypal credit card and he has used it in Thailand hundreds of time with no problems. But, he doesnтАЩt use it online to order things so I have not tested the fraud alert on that transaction. You should be able to call Paypal and ask them and they will tell you if an attempt was declined by them or by the storefront you were accessing.

I have tried to use my paypal account to pay for purchases that require a credit card and not just the paypal account. My account is linked to a debit card. These transactions are often declined as well if when you pay through paypal and you choose the option to pay via the debit card as opposed to directing debiting from the bank account on file.

March 10th, 2008, 13:55
Sorry guys but Paypal has a well-known and long-standing anti-Thailand bias - Google and you'll find out. Thailand has a well-known and justified reputation for fraud and Paypal has decided that Thailand simply isn't worth it

March 10th, 2008, 15:09
I have registered a number of addresses on my paypal account, one of them in thialand, and i am easily able to order things for delivery here.

March 10th, 2008, 19:43
Sorry guys but Paypal has a well-known and long-standing anti-Thailand bias - Google and you'll find out. Thailand has a well-known and justified reputation for fraud and Paypal has decided that Thailand simply isn't worth it

BOLLOCKS More scaremongering from Homintern.

I regularly use PayPal to buy books through EBay and have never had a problem. I use a UK registered credit card and have a number of different addresses in different countries that the vendor can send to. I have made over 200 Paypal payments and shipments to Thailand and have never had a problem.
The only headache is postage costs with some vendors charging "Sellers Standard International Rate" which gives license to the vendor to charge whatever he wants for the postage & packing.

March 10th, 2008, 19:52
..., Googled and found this comment straight up "At the time of this writing, PayPal does not allow Thai people to withdraw their PayPal money unless they have a US bank account, registered in US" - http://www.alloexpat.com/thailand_expat ... t4947.html (http://www.alloexpat.com/thailand_expat_forum/paypal-alternative-to-withdraw-money-from-thailand-banks-t4947.html)

March 10th, 2008, 20:02
:puke:
..., PayPal does not allow Thai people to withdraw their PayPal money unless they have a US bank account, registered in US"

Does PeterUK sound like a Thai person? :knob:

Brad the Impala
March 10th, 2008, 20:51
..., Googled and found this comment straight up "At the time of this writing, PayPal does not allow Thai people to withdraw their PayPal money unless they have a US bank account, registered in US" - http://www.alloexpat.com/thailand_expat ... t4947.html (http://www.alloexpat.com/thailand_expat_forum/paypal-alternative-to-withdraw-money-from-thailand-banks-t4947.html)

You googled and found one post, over a year old, that relates to withdrawal of money by Thai people, rather than delivery of goods. Even the comments regarding withdrawal of money by Thai people are incorrect, as evidenced by the regular posts on this topic here, and by my own experience.

TrongpaiExpat
March 10th, 2008, 20:57
I don't know about paypal but my US based CitiBank master card would go on account frozen status every time I used the card in Thailand. I finally closed the account. I would have to call the fraud department and answer security questions.

The same message would appear on the web account each time: account closed for suspicious activity, please call..........

None of my ATM's or other credit cards have caused similar problems.

thrillbill
March 10th, 2008, 22:32
Sergeant Homiturn doesn't like people to ask questions on this forum...he thinks every answer is on Google. I suppose when he needs to take a BM, he checks on Google to see if its correct.

fedssocr
March 11th, 2008, 07:25
I detest PayPal. Their non-sensical policies are maddening. The web is full of people complaining about how awful PP is. I prefer to use my VISA card, but they have an idiotic policy that only allows you to ever have a single visa card associated with your account. If that card ever becomes invalid (as mine did I canceled it due to some suspicious charges showing up on the card) you cannot replace the expired card with a new visa card.

They are notorious for being impossible to resolve disputes with. And the fine print in their agreements are totally lopsided in their favor. However it appears that several people have manged to sue them in small claims court.

Because they have a monopoly with eBay there is no incentive for them to be more customer focused.

netrix
March 11th, 2008, 08:58
The solution is simple, as alluded to by several posts from
others in Thailand successfully ordering products delivered
to a Thailand address. You simply need to add an additional
address in your PayPal account as PayPal requires your
order to be shipped to the address you have on file with them,
but you may have multiple addresses on file.

or edit street address." Click the Add button and enter your
new address. Done.

PeterUK
March 12th, 2008, 12:38
My thanks to those who took the trouble to reply to my enquiry. After a couple of days of fiddling and fuddling I'm still no nearer to being able to use paypal in Thailand. It's all too tedious to describe in detail. Suffice to say that paypal don't make it easy to set up what I want - I can't even get through to them on the phone and they haven't answered an email I sent them. I'm in the process of making other arrangements to get the goods I want and will probably close my paypal account.

Netrix, your proposal re extra addresses seems eminently sensible, but when I try that I am allowed to change everything but the country, which remains the UK (where the billing address for my credit card is). They won't let me change the country to Thailand.

dab69
March 14th, 2008, 06:17
wishing my THai friend could sign up for paypal. sending money via them is a breeze.
unfortunately I think he would need a credit card besides his bank account.