PDA

View Full Version : Sunee Plaza 2008

March 8th, 2008, 20:19
I've been reading posts in this forum for quite some time and I find most information on this board both insightful and entertaining. I haven't posted myself until today as I live 20.000 miles away from Pattaya and was last there 12 years ago... so nothing much to contribute on my part. All I could do would be making comments on other posters' contributions, but I have been refraining from doing so as I am aware of the fact that newbies and outsiders are not always treated gentleman-like in this forum.
Anyway, today I thought I could give it a try – with a simple question. 12 years ago I was in Sunee Plaza and I deemed it a fantastic playground for men who adore handsome thai guys. I think I spent there one of my best holidays ever. Now I'm considering a trip to Pattaya again. Can anyone of you guys who stay there tell me what has changed over the course of 10 years – in terms of the overall situation there, the bars, and the thai boys that are available and willing to please?
Thanks a lot in advance for any information and further insights!

globalwanderer
March 9th, 2008, 00:16
I think I can go back 10 years at Sunee.... my first reaction was that everything has changed.

March 9th, 2008, 01:58
I can also report on a ten year knowledge. Everything has changed but nothing has changed. It still has a village atmosphere in contrast to Boys Town. It is still a nice place to have a drink with farang friends and watch the street scene pass by. When I first saw the Plaza, the soi containing the old swimming pool was the busiest one but now the smaller soi parralel to it is the busier. You can park your car easily, either in the plaza carpark or just a little further away in the new area south of the plaza. It is possible to eat well in the plaza , either Thai or farang food, but you can still walk off to the day/night area and have a much larger range of eateries to choose from. There is still a big choice of gogo bars to while away an hour, perhaps looking for company or just to see the sights. These bars come and go in popularity. Occasionally, there is even the odd show put on. There is something for everyone here. More masculine older types in one bar, ladyboyish creatures in another, and if you like a young man who has just arrived on the edge of legality then enjoy this as well.
What of the downside. The occasional police raid happens but everything will be up and running the following night usually. As always Thai youth inhabit the streets bringing the old drug problems and alarms about underage sex. One good thing is that you tend not to see kids with their head stuck into glue bags these days, although this may mean they have moved onto other things. It still pays to be careful what you do or where you go late at night/ early morning once the bars close. As of my last visit in January, its still possible to get a drink in the plaza after 1-00am. There are still lots of farangs willing to sink fortunes into opening up businesses and then failing miserably. However, once you have a popular bar that establishes itself you can make a go of it. the Thai authorities still look upon the plaza as a cash cow. Every now and again they think of something new to hassle bars with. The last two years have seen requirements for all bars to have CCTV(most now off or pointing at the ceiling), correct license tags on bottles of spirits, music licences, and now worries about non smoking regulations. Occasionally a police raid comes when a proportion of the Thai workers decide to do a runner, either through fears over age, ID cards, whether they would fail a pee test or not, or sometimes just because they want a night off.
Experienced Plaza watchers still mutter about the possible end of the Plaza, either because of lack of gay tourists or the difficulty of businesses to make money (not always the same thing). Luckily, the plaza has a lot of customers who are resident here. These mutterings have been going on for years and the plaza survives, Can you still have a fantastic night there? Yes, of course you can. Drink, meal, take in a couple of gogo bars, possibly an 'off'. No problem at all.

March 9th, 2008, 03:18
I can also report on a ten year knowledge. Everything has changed but nothing has changed. It still has a village atmosphere in contrast to Boys Town. It is still a nice place to have a drink with farang friends and watch the street scene pass by. [...]
The last two years have seen requirements for all bars to have CCTV (most now off or pointing at the ceiling), correct license tags on bottles of spirits, music licences, and now worries about non smoking regulations.

Thanks a lot, Lester, for your great report. It seems that Sunee Plaza hasn't lost its former charme and appeal. Your report does encourage me to plan a trip, indeed!
There's only one thing that worries me a bit, to tell you the truth: it's your mentioning of CCTV cameras that have been installed. Are they in- or outside the bars? Even though I'm not intent on doing anything that is against the law - the sheer idea of being filmed while relaxing there and having a good time isn't very sexy. How do others there cope with this? Or I am a survival of a former age with my reluctance to be exposed to big brother who might be watching me? :cyclopsani:

March 9th, 2008, 04:21
Roi Baht -do make a visit, you will enjoy it.

Also, as a further bonus, the planet has a circumference of 25,000 miles, so the distance you have to travel to Pattaya should be less than 12,500 miles rather than 20,000.......

dave_tf-old
March 9th, 2008, 04:42
Some cope with the CCTV by considerately filling the air with smoke. Others by demurely covering their faces with fans.

catawampuscat
March 9th, 2008, 11:00
cctv..
get used to it or don't come.. nobody gives it a second thought unless they are playing the pied piper of Sunee
with a string of tiny tots following big daddy home to collect the baht..

the tapes get erased or played over every couple of days unless there is a crime or something happens.. :cat:

March 9th, 2008, 15:53
Sorry, where do you guys pick up the lads you would like as your companions for a short time or for the night. Is it in the bars or is it in the sois? Where and when can the best lad be found? As a foreign tourist who visited Sunee for just 4 weeks back in 1996 I found it somewhat difficult to pick up guys in places other than the various bars. What can I do if I would like a companion in the afternoon (other than a massage boy which I'm personally not into)?

lonelywombat
March 9th, 2008, 16:54
Sorry, where do you guys pick up the lads you would like as your companions for a short time or for the night. Is it in the bars or is it in the sois? Where and when can the best lad be found? As a foreign tourist who visited Sunee for just 4 weeks back in 1996 I found it somewhat difficult to pick up guys in places other than the various bars. What can I do if I would like a companion in the afternoon (other than a massage boy which I'm personally not into)?

You might try your luck with the boys on the beach I would not

Bamboo Bar starts early afternoon and the boys are eager. I believe there is an "upstairs'

There is a map of Jomtien here. Look for the Jomtien map as there are 5

http://www.gayaffairspattaya.com/maps/maps.htm

It is worth while walking around the Jomtien Complex and viewing all the bars. There are some surprises there

Visit Dicks and say hello to Monty.

March 9th, 2008, 18:19
12 years ago I was in Sunee Plaza and I deemed it a fantastic playground
Nothing's changed that much. It's still a 'playground' in the most usual sense of the word !
There are plenty of 'lads' around if that is what you are into.

March 9th, 2008, 20:05
Nothing's changed that much. It's still a 'playground' in the most usual sense of the word!
There are plenty of 'lads' around if that is what you are into.

Yes, that is precisely what I am into. But to set the record straight and rule out any possible misunderstandings in connection with the word 'lad', I'm exclusively interested in guys of legal age. In fact, I deem lads of the age of 18 to 25 the most sexy as they still are somewhat boyish and at the same time already grown-up young men.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a discussion about underage boys and guys of legal age and what the foreigners' stand on this issues should be. Everyone knows the law, so everyone can decide for himself whether he wants to run risks or strictly abide by the rule - I for myself prefer the latter, be it in my own country or abroad.
So to get back to the actual issue: Where at daytime can one best pick up lads for some fun in and around the Sunee area? (In the evening and at nighttime it's obviously in the bars, as far as I remember...) Thanks guys for tips and recommendations.

Dodger
March 9th, 2008, 20:56
Roi Baht...

Thanks for posting.

Cruising for boys in Pattaya is like fishing. At night, you're surrounded by schools of hungry fish and simply have to drop your line and one (or more) are on your hook. In the afternoons, it's a bit more like shore fishing, where you have to position yourself at different locations around the lake and test different waters until you feel a tug.

Some good afternoon watering holes:

The gay beach at Jomtien:
Small groups of boys frequently show up in the early afternoon hours. These are mostly off-duty boys from the bars, and as always, eager to hook up with a farang to put some baht in their pockets. Avoid the lone street hustlers (free lancers) as they can be trouble. The best bet is to pick a boy who shows up at the beach with a group of smiling friends. The rip off free lancers don't have any friends.

Soi Boichow:
Visit the Soi Boichow Street Market on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Watch your wallet, as this is a popular place for pick-pockets, although there's always boys around. If you start shopping, you'll find a good bargain, although, if your fishing for boys, then stop shopping, buy a can of Pepsi, and just hang out on one of the street corners paralleling the market place. Some helpful bait to carry along includes a camera. If you spot a boy who meets your fancy, just politely ask him if you can snap a picture of his great smile. If he's not interested, he'll just smile and walk away after you've snapped your shot. If he's interested, he'll probably want to start talking to you.

Jomtien Plaza:
Like Sunee Plaza and Boyztown, this place is a bit of a ghost town in the afternoons, but can always find some action for your line at one of the massage parlors which are open in the afternoons, or, you may stop in at Monty's and have a drink with one of his off-duty dancers. If you don't mind long hair, ask for June. He's one heck of a good dancer, which plays second to his real talents.

Big C:
Take a short ride over the Big C in the afternoons and spend some time just strolling around. Many of the boys working in the shops are available, although fishing for them requires a somewhat different technique. If you spot one that you like, wait until there are no other customers around and approach him with a few stupid questions, like, can you please help me pick pout a shirt for a friend of mine? Can you tell me what kind of shirts Thai boys like? Can you show me a shirt that you would like, because I can tell you have good taste in clothes? If he's all-business, then find another shop to cast your line. If he gives you one of those "come-on smiles" then make plans to meet him after work. You'll also seeing many of the off-duty working boys walking around with ice cream cones with their mobiles glued to their ears. Just make eye contact and give a smile and see where it gets you.

South Pattaya Road Markets:
Similar to the fishing at Soi Boichow, the open street markets along S. Pattaya Rd. also provide good shore fishing opportunities. This is a popular place for the off-duty working boys due to its proximity to Sunee Plaza and Boyztown. Again, take your camera along and just try to look stupid. They'll come to you.

Your Hotel Room:

Last, but not least, if you want some afternoon entertainment, you can always arrange to have a boy from one of the gogo bars meet you at your place. I'm actually surprised I don't hear about this happening more often than I do. I've heard so many farang complaining about having nothing to do in the afternoons, when, at the same time, they're surrounded by willing boys every night who would gladly be their afternoon partner. There's also no off fee to be concerned with.

In Pattaya, you're constantly surrounded by hungry fish. Just alter your fishing tactics and you'll fill the boat.

mai pen rai

Shuee
March 10th, 2008, 00:33
also remember the massage parlors just past flamingo hotel, as you head towards tuk.com on the right, some guys hang outside in their white uniforms :faroah:

March 10th, 2008, 00:49
also remember the massage parlors just past flamingo hotel, as you head towards tuk.com on the right, some guys hang outside in their white uniforms :faroah:I'm sure that will be most useful information for someone who's already said he's not interested in massage boys!

Shuee
March 10th, 2008, 00:51
oooppss!! well maybe he can just close his eyes & imagine :flower:

wats the difference anyhow as long as its wet & warm, is all the same

March 10th, 2008, 01:00
Dodger
I am impressed. I have always known you as a fun loving guy, aiming to have a great time in the evening and going on these trips in country that we always enjoy reading about so much. During the day however, I saw you as a man's man, doing serious things, playing some sport, reading a book, catching up with the Bangkok Post, debating politics. Now you suggest that you spend the whole afternoon lurking at various locations, fishing, throwing baited hooks into the path of callow, shy and impressionable Thai youth as they go about their daily business. As I say, I am impressed. Any chance of taking small groups of 'learner farang', possibly hiring a small bus, so we can see you in action and learn from a master?

Brad the Impala
March 10th, 2008, 01:56
Oh please! You are all very sweet, and helpful, but it doesn't it seem peculiar the number of threads started by first time posters about Sunnee, in which sooner or later the original poster brings up the age of "consent"! If you hadn't been to Pattaya, or Thailand, for twelve years, why just ask about Sunnee rather than Pattaya.

As a regular reader of posts, I would have though that Roi Baht would have read enough about Sunnee on this forum already. If this poster wasn't even planning a trip to Thailand until he got all the new information in this thread, why so concerned about where he can get a guy in the afternoon?

You are all very kind to give the poster the benefit of the doubt about the genuineness of his enquiries, and perhaps I am just an old cynic, or is it sceptic?

dave_tf-old
March 10th, 2008, 02:41
cynic + skeptic = septic. And most probably correctic.

March 10th, 2008, 02:48
Dodger
I am impressed. I have always known you as a fun loving guy, aiming to have a great time in the evening and going on these trips in country that we always enjoy reading about so much. During the day however, I saw you as a man's man, doing serious things, playing some sport, reading a book, catching up with the Bangkok Post, debating politics. Now you suggest that you spend the whole afternoon lurking at various locations, fishing, throwing baited hooks into the path of callow, shy and impressionable Thai youth as they go about their daily business. As I say, I am impressed. Any chance of taking small groups of 'learner farang', possibly hiring a small bus, so we can see you in action and learn from a master?

Frankly, I do appreciate Dodger's reply very much. It's very useful information for guys like me who aren't in the know and go there just for a short holiday.
I'm not sure if this sort of response of yours, Lester, is very appropriate. If you're a good friend of Dodger's, then it's ok of course, but there's no need to put this ironic reply on the internet. If you're not a close friend of Dodger's, however, I think it's unfair to expose his post to ridicule. All he did was providing some helpful information. He didn't say that lurking at those locations in the afternoons was what he actually would do, did he?

My point is: Plese, be fair and don't discourage other guys from posting by exposing their replies to ridicule or ironically winding them up. :idea:

March 10th, 2008, 03:11
New readers have to sift through all the other posts, the good, the bad & the downright ugly, before gathering sufficient information for a visit.

If all the useful "newbie" information ends up several pages back, I fear many people will give up before finding the wisdom that's contained within some of the posts.

Besides hotels, bars, taxis, off fees, ariports & all the other things people ask about change, so repeating the same old questions now & again should be encouraged.

As an idea, how about structuring the forum with a "Visitors Questions" section?

March 10th, 2008, 03:30
My point is: Plese, be fair and don't discourage other guys from posting by exposing their replies to ridicule or ironically winding them up.Where's the fun in that? :idea:

March 10th, 2008, 04:05
Roi Baht...

Thanks for posting.

Cruising for boys in Pattaya is like fishing. At night, you're surrounded by schools of hungry fish and simply have to drop your line and one (or more) are on your hook. In the afternoons, it's a bit more like shore fishing, where you have to position yourself at different locations around the lake and test different waters until you feel a tug.

Some good afternoon watering holes:

The gay beach at Jomtien:
Small groups of boys frequently show up in the early afternoon hours. These are mostly off-duty boys from the bars, and as always, eager to hook up with a farang to put some baht in their pockets. Avoid the lone street hustlers (free lancers) as they can be trouble. The best bet is to pick a boy who shows up at the beach with a group of smiling friends. The rip off free lancers don't have any friends.

Soi Boichow:
Visit the Soi Boichow Street Market on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Watch your wallet, as this is a popular place for pick-pockets, although there's always boys around. If you start shopping, you'll find a good bargain, although, if your fishing for boys, then stop shopping, buy a can of Pepsi, and just hang out on one of the street corners paralleling the market place. Some helpful bait to carry along includes a camera. If you spot a boy who meets your fancy, just politely ask him if you can snap a picture of his great smile. If he's not interested, he'll just smile and walk away after you've snapped your shot. If he's interested, he'll probably want to start talking to you.

Jomtien Plaza:
Like Sunee Plaza and Boyztown, this place is a bit of a ghost town in the afternoons, but can always find some action for your line at one of the massage parlors which are open in the afternoons, or, you may stop in at Monty's and have a drink with one of his off-duty dancers. If you don't mind long hair, ask for June. He's one heck of a good dancer, which plays second to his real talents.

Big C:
Take a short ride over the Big C in the afternoons and spend some time just strolling around. Many of the boys working in the shops are available, although fishing for them requires a somewhat different technique. If you spot one that you like, wait until there are no other customers around and approach him with a few stupid questions, like, can you please help me pick pout a shirt for a friend of mine? Can you tell me what kind of shirts Thai boys like? Can you show me a shirt that you would like, because I can tell you have good taste in clothes? If he's all-business, then find another shop to cast your line. If he gives you one of those "come-on smiles" then make plans to meet him after work. You'll also seeing many of the off-duty working boys walking around with ice cream cones with their mobiles glued to their ears. Just make eye contact and give a smile and see where it gets you.

South Pattaya Road Markets:
Similar to the fishing at Soi Boichow, the open street markets along S. Pattaya Rd. also provide good shore fishing opportunities. This is a popular place for the off-duty working boys due to its proximity to Sunee Plaza and Boyztown. Again, take your camera along and just try to look stupid. They'll come to you.

Your Hotel Room:

Last, but not least, if you want some afternoon entertainment, you can always arrange to have a boy from one of the gogo bars meet you at your place. I'm actually surprised I don't hear about this happening more often than I do. I've heard so many farang complaining about having nothing to do in the afternoons, when, at the same time, they're surrounded by willing boys every night who would gladly be their afternoon partner. There's also no off fee to be concerned with.

In Pattaya, you're constantly surrounded by hungry fish. Just alter your fishing tactics and you'll fill the boat.

mai pen rai

Great post Dodger. I've been there recently, but you've given me a couple of additional ideas. :cheers:

On my first trip to Sunee/Pattaya in 2003, I used to like to hang out at the pool that later became Monty's Pool. during the afternoons. There were the boys working there that were available for spending some private time with if one got tired of lounging around or swimming. It's really too bad that the pool is no longer open. Afternoon delights were sure easy then.

March 10th, 2008, 07:09
Dodger wrote :

Again, take your camera along and just try to look stupid.

It's stupid to try ! :clown:

bing
March 10th, 2008, 07:51
Well guys if you are going angling, I'm a bit surprised not to hear of the Royal Garden on a rainy day. Not that I have caught any fish, if that is the correct term. but if you wander around the book store, and the great underwear store you would likened to the fellow who worked at the brewery and fell into the vat of beer. You would have to work at not getting a drink. Oft times while on a dinning outing at the Royal Garden with my bf, I get poked in the ribs and hear something like, "boy, over there smiling at you." If the young guy had any taste, he would be smiling at my bf, who is really cute, but alas, sometimes for a coke or coffee we make an experience of the event. This has happened a few times, but enough to mention it for those who are looking to hook up.. Remember AYOR at the malls, as some of the fish are too young or small to catch.. he he, This fishing thing is a neat way to speak.

Dboy
March 10th, 2008, 20:58
also remember the massage parlors just past flamingo hotel, as you head towards tuk.com on the right, some guys hang outside in their white uniforms :faroah:

also in the open-air restaurant on the corner just down from flamingo..sorry if I gave away a favorite fishing spot. guys also walk by there very often, looking for victims/customers.

sunee proper is not where I'd look during the day, but the surrounding area is ok.

dboy

March 12th, 2008, 00:58
Sunee is a great place, I can only recommend it. You have to bear in mind, however, that it attracts all sorts of people: good-hearted Thai boys, good-hearted farangs, as well as drug dealing and consuming Thais, inhuman pimps, and farang crooks. I'd just suggest to you to keep on your guard and not to trust anyone, unless you've known a person for a while. Speaking from a personal point of view, I must admit that I did make the mistake of trusting one of those farang rascals who eventually conned me. That said, don't worry, get here and enjoy! It can be a fantastic place!

ceejay
March 12th, 2008, 06:02
New readers have to sift through all the other posts, the good, the bad & the downright ugly, before gathering sufficient information for a visit.

If all the useful "newbie" information ends up several pages back, I fear many people will give up before finding the wisdom that's contained within some of the posts.

Besides hotels, bars, taxis, off fees, ariports & all the other things people ask about change, so repeating the same old questions now & again should be encouraged.

As an idea, how about structuring the forum with a "Visitors Questions" section?

When I first visited Pattaya, in 2004, the Cafe Royale had a link on their web page to contact them and ask for their guide to Pattaya. It was part of their marketing and did promote their hotel and the services it offered, but it covered much more than that (it was a 6 page document). It had all of the information above - and a good deal more. It gave overviews of Thai culture and standards of behaviour and a guide to Pattaya that went far beyond just the boy bars. It had a section on the boy bars, including the "procedure" for offing a boy, tips etc. I don't suppose many of the posters here have needed such a thing in a long time, but for a total newbie like me it was a godsend. It was a real act of generosity on the part of whoever wrote it, and the Cafe Royale for publishing it, because it went far beyond simply promoting their commercial interests and a lot of care and effort - you could even say love - had been put into helping anyone who asked for a copy to have a good time in Pattaya.

Maybe some equally kind soul could volunteer to produce such a guide and make it available for download here? I am, I freely admit, suggesting someone else should do the work - I don't have the knowledge.

I still have the original 2004 version, but that couldn't be used because the Cafe Royale did mark it as copyright - and also because some of it would need updating. I could, I dare say, send a copy to anyone who wants it - I don't suppose they're going to sue me for that.

DonMuang-old
March 14th, 2008, 00:59
Roi Baht...

Jomtien Plaza:

Oh yes June, what a wonderful experience :love7: :love7: :love7: a real bottom.....

And don't forget Tukom itself as a fishing pond
and the countless internet shops in the sunee area...

March 14th, 2008, 03:24
Sunee is a great place, I can only recommend it. You have to bear in mind, however, that it attracts all sorts of people: good-hearted Thai boys, good-hearted farangs, as well as drug dealing and consuming Thais, inhuman pimps, and farang crooks. I'd just suggest to you to keep on your guard and not to trust anyone, unless you've known a person for a while. Speaking from a personal point of view, I must admit that I did make the mistake of trusting one of those farang rascals who eventually conned me. That said, don't worry, get here and enjoy! It can be a fantastic place!
While you did get conned, I still think the majority of expats that live in, near, or frequently visit Sunee Plaza are decent people. I've met a good many of them and not a single one has ever said a thing that would indicate they wanted to attempt to con me. In my opinion, you just had a bad luck of the draw. Still, you are correct in that it's best to be on your guard.

bing
March 14th, 2008, 04:02
I thought I was the only one who appreciated the little booklet produced by Cafe Royal, It was a wealth of knowledge, sort of a mini, "Men Of Thailand No. 6". I had been to Thailand several years before checking into Cafe Royal and they sent it to me on line and I enjoyed every page. I imagine "Spice" might be a starting place for those wanting to get a quick understanding of what is going on. The Cafe Royal booklet even suggested tours to take. It was a fun read.