View Full Version : Songkran in Bangkok

March 7th, 2008, 17:13
Hi guys,

I may have the opportunity for a long weekend in Bangkok over Songkran next month. Is it a good time to visit or is the place pretty quiet? Is there fun stuff going on, or do all the shops and clubs close? Many thanks in advance for any advice!

James.

Sen Yai
March 7th, 2008, 19:31
JamesG, I recommend you go for the experience - it's great fun! (but maybe not every year)

Shops, bars and restaurants don't close - life goes on much as normal, but be prepared to get soaked if you go to the popular tourist areas. You should go to Khao San Road in the daytime (afternoon). The streets are full with Thais and tourists engaged in a massive water fight and smearing their faces with talcum powder paste. There maybe outbreaks of water throwing along Silom, Sukhumvit and Siam Square.

In the evening, be prepared to get wet in the Silom area again. I have seen water poured from plastic bags from the 2nd floor of DJ Station onto the dance floor below. But that was a few years ago, and DJ is much more sophisticated now!

March 7th, 2008, 20:34
2 years ago there was no water allowed in Silom Soi 2 at all. Well, you could have a drink of water I guess, but thats all. In fact they were not allowing people who were too wet into the Soi either.
Soi 4 on the other hand was like a war game. Several of the bars didnt open. Maybe Telephone was the only one, I am pretty sure Balcony was closed.

TrongpaiExpat
March 7th, 2008, 20:48
Last year they were stopping wet and power covered revelers from entering the subway and sky train.

Bangkok is wild, Pattaya is crazy but if you want the most far out there and water cannon(ed) iced water experience head to Chiang Mai.

Then after one time, do what the rest of us do, get out of town until it's over.

March 8th, 2008, 04:07
Thanks, guys - it sounds like fun!

March 8th, 2008, 13:15
Last year they were stopping wet and power covered revelers from entering the subway and sky train.

Bangkok is wild, Pattaya is crazy but if you want the most far out there and water cannon(ed) iced water experience head to Chiang Mai.

Then after one time, do what the rest of us do, get out of town until it's over.

Where do you expats that wish to avoid Songkran go? Does anything similar take place in Cambodia or Laos?

TrongpaiExpat
March 8th, 2008, 13:32
Since Bangkok and Pattaya have different dates, it's possible to hide out in one or the other.

However:
Travel around the country that week puts you in line with those going home and taking time off. Traffic can become a night mare.

March 8th, 2008, 14:14
I was in Luang Prabang last Lunar New Year. Its just as crazy there as in Bangkok, except that things quieten down in the evenings. However the cheap beer and accomodation in Laos seems to attract a lot of farang backpackers, so they are all running around the town being a pain in the ass. But if you can hang out with a bunch of locals away from the town centre its much more fun.
The lack of taxis means you have to resort to tuk-tuk's to get around, so of course you get wet. Really good when you are on the way to the airport with all your luggage.
Vietnam is looking good for this year.