PDA

View Full Version : Suvarnabhumi Taxi Queues

TrongpaiExpat
March 6th, 2008, 17:52
In the print edition of the Bangkok Post today, on page 6, there's some good news and bad news about public taxis at the airport. In the time honored tradition of fixing something that is not broken and is working fine, the new Transportation Minister wants to go back to the original idea of a transportation center for taxi queues. I guess a shuttle bus to the transportation center too but the article does not say anything about that.

Minister Songsak uses the Thai broad usage of the term Mafia referring to who's now in charge of the taxi queues and wants TOA to control taxis. I though TOA was sorta the Mafia?

The good news is that he wants to eliminate the 50B surcharge. The article implies that that extra charge goes to the driver not TOA as I always been told. I seem to recall someone else in the government saying that surcharge was going up to 75 Baht.

March 6th, 2008, 19:17
Here's the online version - I thought TOA was an abbreviation I hadn't heard before, and of course what was meant (??) was AoT - the Airports of Thailand statutory authority that runs the airport (and has its own limo service - the yellow booths inside and outside the arrivals hall) - http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/06Mar2008_news15.php

anakot
March 8th, 2008, 19:52
Read about this when I was in LOS last week and shivered and shuddered at the thought of them 'organising' anything. It works as well as it could.

The 'Taxi Rank' at S. always reminds me of being invited to dinner at someone's brand new apartment and instead of them using the designer kitchen they light a fire in the middle of the lounge room floor to cook dinner ...

But mai pen rai. Each time it works even though I always get the taxi with the rubber band propulsion system and he who can only pay tolls by opening car door as he cruises thru toll gate... Opening windows on later models apparently

March 9th, 2008, 04:24
The taxis work just fine as they are.

Is this some scheme to foul up the taxi service as soon as the new rail link opens?

March 9th, 2008, 07:09
hey fatmann, I am sure you can afford it? 25 BHT, walk? hmm, I dont believe you will do it :bounce:

TrongpaiExpat
March 9th, 2008, 12:28
The train is on the way. I see a lot of people working on it but still some big gaps. I have not heard anything on the price or how it's going to connect to MRT/BTS. It looks like there's two stations under construction before it terminates at Makkasan. So, it takes you to Makkasan, what then?

March 9th, 2008, 15:26
The train is on the way. I see a lot of people working on it but still some big gaps. I have not heard anything on the price or how it's going to connect to MRT/BTS. It looks like there's two stations under construction before it terminates at Makkasan. So, it takes you to Makkasan, what then?I've heard that it will terminate at Phyatai, a station between Siam and Victory Monument. However I guess quite a few people will get off around the Asoke area and get a taxi from there - assuming they don't arrive after midnight, when I imagine it won't be running anyway

Sen Yai
March 9th, 2008, 16:37
The train is on the way. I see a lot of people working on it but still some big gaps. I have not heard anything on the price or how it's going to connect to MRT/BTS. It looks like there's two stations under construction before it terminates at Makkasan. So, it takes you to Makkasan, what then?I've heard that it will terminate at Phyatai, a station between Siam and Victory Monument. However I guess quite a few people will get off around the Asoke area and get a taxi from there - assuming they don't arrive after midnight, when I imagine it won't be running anyway

Why don't people use Google to answer their own questions before turning to this message board for advice? grumble, grumble, moan, moan....

There will be two different services available on the new airport line. The Express Service will terminate at Makkasn and interchange with the MRT (Phetchaburi) whilst the Commuter Service will stop at 6 intermediate stations before terminating at Phayathai and interchange with the Sky Train.

www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/141 (http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/141)

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link is under construction from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to the planned City Air Terminal in Makkasan area of Bangkok.

Construction of the line started in 2005. The line is being built by a consortium of B Grimm, STECON and Siemens, and will be owned and operated by State Railway of Thailand (SRT). The estimated cost of the project is 25.9 billion baht and is expected to be ready for service in October 2008.

The Airport Link line will be 28.6 km long and elevated for most of its length. Both non-stop Express services (known informally as the Pink Line) and Commuter services (the Red Line) will be operated. Siemens Desiro trainsets, capable of speeds of up to 160 km/h, will be used, with Express journeys taking 15 minutes and Commuter trips 27 minutes.

Express Service: Suvarnabhumi Airport - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station))

Commuter Service: Suvarnabhumi Airport - Lad Krabang - Thub Chang - Hua Mark - Ramkhamhaeng - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station)) - Ratchaprarop - Phayathai (interchange with BTS Sukhumvit Line (Phayathai Station))

TrongpaiExpat
March 9th, 2008, 19:04
expected to be ready for service in October 2008.

Anyone care to take a bet on that?

Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station)

Blue line? Yea in maybe another 5+ years.

Of course you can google and get some official government site with all the"correct" answers (the Thai way) but it's nice to get reports of what people are seeing, hearing and how they think the system will work. Then when it's up and running some personal experience reports would be nice.

March 9th, 2008, 19:42
Of course you can Google and get some official government site with all the"correct" answers (the Thai way) but it's nice to get reports of what people are seeing, hearing and how they think the system will work. Then when it's up and running some personal experience reports would be nice.While generally I'm with Sen Yai on the question of lazy posters and their refusal to Google, in this case TrongpaiExpat is correct - just because it's a Thai government announcement doesn't make it true (unless, of course, you are boygeenyus)

Sen Yai
March 10th, 2008, 02:03
Of course you can Google and get some official government site with all the"correct" answers (the Thai way) but it's nice to get reports of what people are seeing, hearing and how they think the system will work. Then when it's up and running some personal experience reports would be nice.While generally I'm with Sen Yai on the question of lazy posters and their refusal to Google, in this case TrongpaiExpat is correct - just because it's a Thai government announcement doesn't make it true (unless, of course, you are boygeenyus)

Don't worry Trongpai, the grumbling and moaning wasn't aimed at you. It was just for Homi's benefit. But talking of grumbling, you do seem to be making a challenge for the title of 'grumpiest resident curmudgeon' recently...

I agree that some reports from personal experience would be nice, and I am sure that I will be one of the first to try, and report on, the Airport Express and City Airport Terminal (CAT) when it opens. Will you? Actually, I don't see the problem with questions being asked here, and I am happy to answer them when I can, as are a few other posters. In the meantime, I have googled to find further information from other personal experiences on the web:

Here's a fairly recent pic of the CAT. When I passed by last week most of the clerestory glazing was in place:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/CATPetchaburicopy.jpg
The Petchaburi MRT station (Blue Line) is right next to the CAT (I've indicated it on the photo.) Why do you say that it's unlikely to have a link within 5 years?

Here's to connection to the BTS Skytrain at Phayathai:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/IMG_7264-1.jpg

Here's some computer generated images of the completed stations:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/91165052ld5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/s2jw1.jpg

The second one is at the underground terminal at Suvarnabhumi. I wonder why the architect chose to include a BFOC in the centre of this rendering...

I also found some links to route maps. Mostly in Thai and rather fuzzy quality, but they help to confirm the plans:

www.railway.co.th.jpg (http://www.railway.co.th/sarl/images/map_SAL.jpg)

www.railway.co.th.gif (http://www.railway.co.th/sarl/images/map.gif)

www.bangkokmetro.co.th (http://www.bangkokmetro.co.th/map.aspx?Lang=En&Menu=8&Sid=8)

So, from all these official and unofficial sources, it all seems quite definite to me. The only question that remains is 'when will it be operational?' And I agree that since it was originally to have been Nov'07 and now reported as Oct'08 (but I've seen "sometime in '09" mentioned too) it's still any ones guess since TiT.

Sen Yai
April 8th, 2008, 14:18
It is reported in today's The Nation/Xpress that the new Airport Express will be open in December this year.

Forget about battling through Bangkok traffic to catch your flight. From December you will be able to check in at the City Air Terminal in Makkasan and even get your boarding pass.

Riding a fast Skytrain to the airport will soon be a new lifestyle for outbound travellers. The long-awaited Airport Link will be functional by this December.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the security concerns associated with a city check-in - allowing someone to send their luggage directly into the heart of the airport unaccompanied. The city check-ins in London and Singapore were closed a few years ago, but Hong Kong (and others) have continued.

Read the full story here:Nation/Xpress (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/04/08/headlines/headlines_30070326.php)

April 8th, 2008, 18:14
I've cottoned on to these taxis at the airport, the simple thing is "organise your taxis before you get there". I don't have a problem with paying a taxi, but when I caught a taxi to BKK and had to shout at the driver to put the meter on, then he literally turned his nose up when I gave him 400 bht. The meter said 193 bht, then there is the 50 bht tax and I think 65 toll fees, I thought the 80-90 was fine for a tip. Nah, they want more and more, but one has no choice, a taxi is the quickest and most convenient.

Similarly, Pattaya, even now the aiport is nearer to Pattaya, they still charge even more, mind you probably due to the price of gasoline, but its best for one to organise their cab via a taxi company before you get there, it works out cheaper, that's if you know a company of course, a lot of people just get a taxi from the airport. You can get a "deal" for a taxi for 1000 bht to Pattaya.

April 8th, 2008, 18:20
Why on earth did you tip a driver who gave you attitude and resisted turning on the meter? I would not have given him a satang over what I had to. All you did was justify his behavior.

sjaak327
April 8th, 2008, 18:50
For Bangkok there is no need whatsoever to arrange your taxi beforehand, as they are legally required to turn on the meter. And I cannot think of a single encounter, where they haven't done so.

"It will be interesting to see how they deal with the security concerns associated with a city check-in - allowing someone to send their luggage directly into the heart of the airport unaccompanied. The city check-ins in London and Singapore were closed a few years ago, but Hong Kong (and others) have continued. "

Well, why would it be any more or less secure then when checking in at the airport, surely they transport these bags from the stations directly to the airport, in the same way as these bags would be transported inside of the airport. And surely once at the airport, they are going to be screened in the same way as the bags that were checked locally.

I think the check in service provided to me at Hong Kong was excellent, no bags on the train, boarding pass already in my possesion. But I have heared that the check-in at makassan possibly only includeds Thai air and star alliance partners.

jinks
April 8th, 2008, 19:40
I have never had a problem at the taxi rank. :clown:

I have never been charged more than the agreed price. :clown:

I have never had to shout at the driver, a quiet request is complied with. :blackeye:

My Image Limo (http://www.imagelimo.com/) is always waiting whatever time I arrive. :cheers:

When travelling and when holidaying I love to be pampered. :colors:

April 8th, 2008, 20:02
For Bangkok there is no need whatsoever to arrange your taxi beforehand, as they are legally required to turn on the meter. And I cannot think of a single encounter, where they haven't done so.

Yeah right!!!! You might not be aware of a single encounter but I can recollect a few, i.e. I've had to tell the taxi driver many times to put the meter on - legal or not. I agree, there is no need to "order" a taxi to BKK from the airport, the price is reasonable enough, but you do have to keep you eye on them and as we have said "make sure the meter is on". Otherwise, there is only one reason why the meter is off and that is to "rip you off".

However, with regard from Airport to Pattaya, the taxi stand (at the moment) offers a fare of 1,500. I suspect the touts' asking price is even more along with the limos. As I have said in my previous thread, the best option here is to organise a reputable taxi company for around 1,000 bht.

jinks
April 8th, 2008, 20:07
The Nation says that you can Zipp to the Airport from December.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/04 ... 070326.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/04/08/headlines/headlines_30070326.php)

Forget about battling through Bangkok traffic to catch your filght. From December you will be able to check in at the City Air Terminal in Makkasan and even get your boarding pass.

They say the Sky Train link will be open.

April 8th, 2008, 20:09
They say the Sky Train link will be open.Yes, "they said" that about Suvarnabhumi until it opened a few months late

sjaak327
April 8th, 2008, 20:37
"Yeah right!!!! You might not be aware of a single encounter but I can recollect a few, i.e. I've had to tell the taxi driver many times to put the meter on - legal or not."

Never from the taxi queue into Bangkok. Maybe it's my destination that makes them put on the meter, but I honestly cannot remember a single occurance of someone not putting on the meter. Actually apart from the leeches that ply the north side of Silom, I never encounter taxi drivers in Bangkok that try to pull a flat fee on me. Of course at Silom I just proceed to the other side of the road, where all those taxis going into Convent, are more then happy to put on the meter.

The fee to Pattaya is quoted as 1300 baht, but I wouldn't know, as I never go to Pattaya, the only exception in about 4 years has been a few months back, when I took the bus from Ekamai.

Sen Yai
April 9th, 2008, 00:47
The Nation says that you can Zipp to the Airport from December.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/04 ... 070326.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/04/08/headlines/headlines_30070326.php).

Well spotted jinks. I posted a link to that story 6 hours previously when I resurrected this thread from where it was left on 10th March.

Since then, most posters have carried on discussing their favourite subject: the price of taxis to Pattaya....

sjaak327
April 9th, 2008, 01:50
You said most poster, not all obviously :)

I actually stay at walking distance to the Klong Tan station on the airport rail link.

So I could go to the airport, or arrive from there, the fares will be around 150 baht/200 baht for the express service (the one straight into Makassan) and 50 baht for the "local" line, which indeed will stop at Klong Tan.

I was more interrested in using it as an alternative to the Saen Saeb canal boats, but the frequency of twice an hour and the price (50 baht) will not make it worth my while.

I get to Phetburi MRT for 14 baht using the boat, and walking distance to the Klong Tan canal boat pier is the same as to the new train station.

And instead of walking with my suitcase for 5 mintues, I might as well take the taxi straight to Suvarnabhumi. No traffic jams at the times I arrive or depart. (actually the longest it ever took me was a mere 25 minutes).

TrongpaiExpat
April 9th, 2008, 01:51
Yeah right!!!! You might not be aware of a single encounter but I can recollect a few, i.e. I've had to tell the taxi driver many times to put the meter on - legal or not.

I guess you did not notice that card that the airport taxi desk gave you with the driver's name and number. There's even a box for refusing to turn on the meter. You call or mail it in. I don't know anyone that ever had to, just hold on to it and it seems the driver's don't dare. It was a fix years ago for rouge drivers.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion of how to get from the airport to Pattaya, carry on, and on and on.....................

April 9th, 2008, 02:06
what would the cost be ,from the airport to the tantawan

TrongpaiExpat
April 9th, 2008, 02:18
what would the cost be ,from the airport to the tantawan

Depends on the time and route but guessing I would say 160 on the meter +50 airport sur-charge+50 or 60 tolls, total= 270 give or take 20

So, about 300 unless you hit rush hour. Round up don't tip and have the exact change unless he is exceptionally helpful, then tip, IMO.

Sen Yai
April 9th, 2008, 02:20
It was a fix years ago for rouge drivers.

Yes, never trust a taxi driver wearing make-up. They can be real rogues!

But I usually find the meter fare from Suvarnabhumi to Silom is about 220 baht, so with the 50 baht surchrge plus the 65 tolls it comes to 350 with a 10-15 baht tip.

April 9th, 2008, 02:25
"Never from the taxi queue into Bangkok.

This was from the taxi queue where I picked up the taxi and it is not the first time I have to indicate to them to put the meter on.

April 9th, 2008, 02:30
Why on earth did you tip a driver who gave you attitude and resisted turning on the meter? I would not have given him a satang over what I had to. All you did was justify his behavior.

I'm not hard faced, I did give him the benefit of the doubt that he did not understand me as generally no matter what action you do they just act in a calm way, putting it politely. However, it was when I gave him the 400 bht, he turned his nose up at it, I could have hardly snatched it back.

No matter how many times one gets a taxi in a foreign country even if one has been there dozens of times, invariably there is always a taxi driver who wants to make a quick buck out of you - London, Paris, Munich, Bangkok, it doesn't matter where you are!!

April 9th, 2008, 02:50
When I was there in November, at the taxi queue in the airport, I received a booking form from the people organising the queue.
This had instructions on how to complain about the taxi driver to the authorities & is given to the passenger not the driver.

Seems like a good incentive for the driver not to scam the customer.

Jeff

jinks
April 9th, 2008, 03:44
there is always a taxi driver who wants to make a quick buck out of you - London, Paris, Munich, Bangkok, it doesn't matter where you are!!

Birmingham UK too especially if you are a troll and hail me :cyclopsani:

April 9th, 2008, 04:23
Apparently efforts to quell the taxi/limosine touts at Suvarnabhumi arrivals have failed and any visitor to Bangkok will find himself swarmed with offers starting to Silom/Suriwonges area at about 700-1000 baht when you exit the customs/arrival hall down to about 400 - 500 baht the closer you get to the curb. You should know to go all the way to the curb and look for the line for the Taxi meters which normally seems to the left and was, the last time I went through, on the same level as the arrivals. A taxi meter to Silom/Suriwonges should run you 350 baht including a 50 baht surcharge and tolls, and a little less than 300 baht on your way back for departure. Taxi meters are mostly newer but there is a chance of ending up with a rundown taxi. You could get more comfortable and safer transport (there are no seat belts in the back seats of taxi meters) at one of the limosine counters, oh maybe 500 to 700 baht which could be preferred for groups of 2 or 3 people.

There seems to be more attempts at negotiating fares lately just after leaving. Ask to be taken back to the taxi meter line and they will be happy to finally switch the meter on.

My only gripe about taxis in Bangkok lately is that say from Sukhumvit or Panthip or just about anywhere else it is getting to be IMPOSSIBLE to get a taxi driver to take you to the Sathorn/Silom/Rama 4 area by mid-afternoon because of the well known severely congested traffic in that area at that time. Taking the sky train to get closer, then a taxi, does not necessarily work out in terms of time and cost. Someone told me there was a TV special program on taxi drivers refusing customers, especially late in the day near quitting time. Did anyone (who speaks Thai) see it?