PDA

View Full Version : Another Pattayaland Soi 1 Boy Bar Closes..

catawampuscat
March 5th, 2008, 23:30
Gentlemen's Club, the reputed oldest boy bar in Pattaya closed its doors for the last time this week.. Reportedly , the owner
had staffing problems. This was never a bar that held any interest to me as it seemed to favour young ladyboy types and had
a prissy atmosphere.. I admit I only entered once or twice over the years and found it uninteresting and staffed by frail skinny
boys with makeup.. Obviously it was a success for many many years but the times they are a changing..

No loss as far as I am concerned but still significant and perhaps a sign of the times.. Handy Boys closed on this soi recently and
was also geared towards those who like lithe skinny fem types teenage boys..
If the pundits are correct Lucky 777 and Dynamite Boys will close to facilitate a new hotel and Pattayaland soi 1 is a changing.. :cat:

globalwanderer
March 6th, 2008, 00:05
I agree about Gentlemens. Lucky 777 has been on it's last legs for some time.

Dodger
March 6th, 2008, 04:45
I was sorry to hear this news.

Gentleman's Club was not only the longest running boy bar in Pattaya, but it was also the best managed club... IMO. A real landmark of Gay Pattaya.

Cat, I can't say I agree with your description of the staff, as most of the boys fell in the boy-next-door category, and rarely, if ever, did I see a ladyboy/fem boy type in the place. If there were, I probably would have visited the place more. Now, going back 5 or 10 years ago, that was a different story, as most of the boys stood about 3 feet tall and didn't have any hair in the armpits if you get my drift.

I spoke to the Swiss owner during my last visit to GC back in May and he said that he has not, in all his years, seen business so bad. He stated that there were many nights during the low season where no customers showed up at all. He looked very concerned.

I wish I was able to see him just one more time so I could congratulate him on the success that GC had for so many years running. Who knows, maybe there'll be a GC II some day.

mai pen rai

dab69
March 6th, 2008, 05:39
didn't I read that it was the
first/oldest gay go go bar in pattaya?

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 6th, 2008, 06:27
GC has certainly been a bit of an institution but the introduction of the ladyboy types-not that I have anything against them , without a variety was a mistake. Also looking twice at some skinny soul was taken as an invitation for him to join you and have a drink of course-until a group of 6 were eventually surrounding you..as is my way..all good fun when they are good looking but those ladyboys never do smile do they ? Can't blame them though can you ?..liked the Swiss owner but I think he lost his way.

I always liked the atmosphere of the place..small and clean but Raksiam is rght..200 baht for a soda water is OK but a hovering mamasan ready to swoop and replace as you near the end of the drink just becomes tiresome and puts you off a place as was the case with GC..when my main occupation is people watching.

catawampuscat
March 6th, 2008, 07:37
Dodger, I agree with your observations.. It had been a couple of years since my last visit and it was definitely
near impossible to find any underarm hair on the laddies.. Any interest or even a smile was an invitation by one of
the little ladyboys in waiting to smile back endlessly. Hovering mamasans also a repulsive annoyance..

The owner, whom I did not know, was not universally liked as I understand it and people either liked him or didn't (to be kind)..
:cat:

March 6th, 2008, 08:38
DELETED

March 6th, 2008, 09:34
... this was the bar I went to a few years ago, I went inside and looked around and about to "I dont know what I was about to do", but I was interrupted by the Swiss or German guy, after I said I was just looking for a second, and about to buy a drink, and he said "you can't look, buy a drink etc etc etc", a nasty piece of work. I left and never went back.

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 6th, 2008, 09:46
have you ever known the Swiss to do cartwheels ? The owner was always friendly in his quiet way and always remembered longtimers. He also had the usual problems with the plods with cash easing the way. I think as he owns the building he will be OK but yes, the mamasan was like a hovering nightmare. Don't blame the lads though..they only do what they are told to.

catawampuscat
March 6th, 2008, 09:57
Looks like John Botting is feeling his oats and back in the saddle.. Cliques for sure, but I am glad to see the spunky JB back
and shooting from the hip..
Since I had almost nothing to do with the owner, I held back from expressing the general disdain and strong negative feelings
of friends who swore off returning to the bar in main, due to the management style.. Welcome back JB and you are needed now
that stuffed potato got stuffed again.. :cat:

francois
March 6th, 2008, 11:06
I have fond memories of Gentlemen Club where I first me my bf on first visit to Thailand in Y2K (2000). I don't recall any obviously under aged workers except maybe some eye candy working behind the bar. Over the years the trend was more to fem types, who we know don't have hairy pits!
One reason for lack of business was the dancers were of legal age not like some of those in the more popular clubs in another part of Sin City.
For sure one of the cleanest places in Pattaya especially the toilet and short time rooms. The mamasan, Tum, never bothered me and, as he aged, mostly just sat on the lounge and greeted guests. Yes, the danseurs were urged by management to snuggle up to the clients and push for a drink and a tip. But what is new about that? And what is the difference between water, beer, wine or liquor for 200 Baht? A drink is a drink is a drink, although 200 is high in comparison to some clubs.
Au revoir, GC

TrongpaiExpat
March 6th, 2008, 11:40
GC back in the 80's had "legal age" workers/dancers/hosts but back then legal was 16. Not sure what year GC first opened, anyone know? And, now who takes the place as the oldest gay bar in Pattaya?

catawampuscat
March 6th, 2008, 12:56
As to the oldest remaining boy bar in Pattaya, my guess would be BoyzBoyzBoyz but just a guess..

I knew mon ami, francois, met his teerak at GC as did a close friend of francois. I do seem to recall francois
complaining about being pushed to buy the mamasan a drink if he stopped by I don't trust my memory too much these days... :cat:

francois
March 6th, 2008, 14:11
At GC I was only "pushed" to buy a drink for the boy who snuggled up to me and also for the door man who is a long time ami.

The mamasan the Cat man refers to can be found at the 3J club in Sunnee. Once you are nice enough to buy a drink for someone you are forever a marked man, as we all know and regret.

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 6th, 2008, 15:50
"marked man"..after all if we cannot restrain ourselves under pressure..well I can't. What became a pleasant stop-in place for a couple of G&T's and a squiz at the talent and the false glow of being surrounded by a coterie of young flesh gradually rose from 1000 baht to 5000 baht until even I knew I was fooling myself..and the owner did keep all the best talent for himself behind the bar which really just rubbed it in. As for it being legal..that's in the eye of the beholder but times were different...not so much hysteria.

sad to see the little place go but as for the owner..probably owns a bloody bank in Zurich by now.

March 6th, 2008, 16:26
I know the GC was open in 1987. I also remember going in one night before 8, with a friend of mine, and all the boys were on the stage, being given in what l could best describe as a Team Briefing. We found it so funny, as that is what we had to do in our job in the UK, we were told to leave, as our laughter was putting the mama san off.
But l must admit a sad loss.

pp

March 6th, 2008, 17:24
I think, but might be wrong that the first boys bar in Pattaya might have been 69 way down the end of what is now Walking Street. Most bars in those late 80's days indeed did have boys hovering around the 16 year old mark and it wasn't unusual to see punters staying in the Homex to have 'companions' a lot younger. The Swiss owner of GM had to do a runner late 87/88 time for underage boys even though back then sadly no one really bothered about it. One of my last visits to that bar in 1987 with my bf before we walked out never to return until it had changed hands was when the owner had his current bf working behind the bar who was no older than 14ish and a Japanese customer was sitting on the couch with a semi naked boy no older than about 8 on his lap.
The bar then went through an English guys hands (cant remember his name) he got killed in a bike accident. The well known Pattaya pair (with very unfortunate future partners!) were also involved with it before establishing the hotel and bar in the other well known soi. Needless to say, when the bar was well owned and managed, despite the steep climb up the spiral stairs to take a leek it was quite fun with the boys clearly enjoying themselves. Again part of Pattaya's gay history disappears..............

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 7th, 2008, 07:04
my long term memory comes back..

GC was first opened by Gordon and Jim..who then went on of course to create Boyztown..so indeed..it's an institution ( and maybe I should be in one)

March 7th, 2008, 07:17
it's an institution ( and maybe I should be in one)I've always regarded you as one

lonelywombat
March 7th, 2008, 08:05
my long term memory comes back..

GC was first opened by Gordon and Jim..who then went on of course to create Boyztown..so indeed..it's an institution ( and maybe I should be in one)

That is a shock My first experience of Ambience and BBB was April 1990. How long was BBB established before that.
No one has ever previously mentioned or hinted that Gordan and Jim had been involved with Gentlemens Club.
I do find it hard to believe.

Jim Lumsden-old
March 7th, 2008, 12:45
Yes its true that Gordon and I bought the Gentleman's club in 1987, it was a very unusual spur of the moment purchase which was done by Gordon without any input from me. We tryed to change the image of the place from the younger type boys to boyz of legal age, alas this was not to be and did not work so we sold the place on after six months to someone who wanted to restore it to its former customer base. This is when we created Boyz Boyz Boyz, The Ambiance Hotel and Boyztown that was 19 years ago" .....................

At that time the popular bars were, 69 Club, Garden Bar and Cafe Paris in South Pattaya.
No1 Club and Why Not both adjacent to Gentleman's Club
Homex Inn and the biggest bar at that time Adam & Eve in North Pattaya later came Nautilus
The Cockpit was a small bar in the Soi which was to become Boyz Town. The Cockpit later Became Throb and Splash which Gordon and I Developed with KQ.

There was over 25 Gay Bars in Pattaya in 1988 when we opened Boyz Boyz Boyz.

March 7th, 2008, 15:19
.... I am glad to see the spunky JB back and shooting from the hip....

Given the articles he "edited" in Real Estate Thailand he needs to take better aim to avoid shooting himself in the foot!!

March 7th, 2008, 15:38
Lunchtime O'Booze wrote "GC was first opened by Gordon and Jim"

Wrong, perhaps the lunchtime drinks fog the memory, or you just go on hearsay, read J.L's article ...GC had been operating along with many other gay bars long before J & G turned up on the scene.

The first issue of Men of Thailand by Eric Allen (nice guy) is a good read for those interested in what bars were operating back in those lovely days when a beach front condo could be brought for 8-10,000 UKP and only a few buildings existed at Jomtein, best place to eat in town and get good conversation was at Dolf Rik's

lonelywombat
March 7th, 2008, 16:32
Lunchtime O'Booze wrote "GC was first opened by Gordon and Jim"

read J.L's article ...GC had been operating along with many other gay bars long before J & G turned up on the scene.

The first issue of Men of Thailand by Eric Allen (nice guy) is a good read for those interested in what bars were operating back in those lovely days when a beach front condo could be brought for 8-10,000 UKP and only a few buildings existed at Jomtein, best place to eat in town and get good conversation was at Dolf Rik's

Ownership in 88/maybe 89 has been established. I loved cockpit and BBB in those days.
Anybody help with the name of the restaurant on the first floor above Splash Owned I think also by Michael of Cockpit

Dolf Riks was the place next to Nautilius where the boys swam naked. I loved that place Riks was the local contact for Spartacas and so was featured in every edition.

Jim Lumsden-old
March 7th, 2008, 16:44
The restuarant was orignally called Harrods and later changed to Le Bistro.
The original owner was John Holbert who unfortunately also passed away this week.

March 7th, 2008, 17:45
Nautilus was designed and put together and opened in 1987 by Barry Baker a South African who moved down from Hong Kong. Beautifully done and run exceptionally well. It was later sold to an Englishman who didn't run the place quite so well and eventually closed it down. He was found murdered in Pattaya a few years later. Alas Barry Baker died about 5 years ago in Hong Kong after a long illness.

Dolf eventually sold his much loved restaurant to Bruno after, due to old age it became too much for him. Again both Bruno and Dolf have sadly moved on both being much loved characters.

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 7th, 2008, 18:48
"Wrong, perhaps the lunchtime drinks fog the memory"

indeed..that's the last time I wake up sober. All this history is too confusing.