PDA

View Full Version : Naughty Monks told stay off line

lonelywombat
March 4th, 2008, 13:40
From breaking news today cut and paste

From correspondents in Bangkok

March 04, 2008 06:01pm

THAI officials urged Buddhist monks today to avoid using social networking websites to woo women after an advocacy group found some monks were doing just that.

The request came as police in the northeast detained a monk accused of using a website to lure a woman to his temple and raping her.

"I call on Hi5 users to tell the monks to leave the site if they are found using it," junior minister Jakrapob Penkair said after a Buddhist monitoring group said some monks were flirting on the website popular with Thai users.

Reports of monks caught using or selling drugs or having consensual sex with women are not uncommon in the Thai media, which reported today a 23-year-old monk was caught raping a teenager he lured to his room through the website.

A senior Culture Ministry official said monks should not be banned from the cyberspace, but should turn this "crisis" into "opportunity" by bringing Buddha's teaching to the young.

"Instead of using the net to flirt with young girls, monks should find ways to preach Dharma and lead them in the right direction," said Ladda Thangsupachai, head of the Cultural Surveillance Centre.

March 6th, 2008, 16:37
I have this sorta quirky idea that I wouldnt mind luring a monk to my temple......preach some dharma and lead them in the right direction if you know what I mean..........

bing
March 6th, 2008, 17:30
I have enjoyed a part of a day with a monk at his temple. It was a bit formal, but I loved the way he offered me water. It was a like Caesar being offered 'Honey Water'. Aside from that his English was as facile as mine. An observation one might make concerning this thread, is that anyone who rapes should be prosecuted, and not take a broad brush stroke of telling monks not be on the www.

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 6th, 2008, 20:07
"It was a like Caesar being offered 'Honey Water'."

yes dear and we all know what happened to Julius Caesar.

I think we should leave these monks alone to get on with their studies..enough young altar boys have done damage seducing old priests..lets not encourage another religious scandal !!