PDA

View Full Version : Yensabi Codo Key Scam?

February 26th, 2006, 20:22
This happened to me......

The story started a few weeks ago when I mislaid one ok my two door keys. I had an inkling that whoever found it would be back.

So I went down to reception and the girl told me that the cleaner had found it in the corridor and handed it in. However, now they couldnt find it. She said not to worry because they did have it somewhere..come back tomorrow..no worry... She suggested I try Pattya Rent a Room across the road, from who I rent the room. They didnt have it. It never reappeared.

The good guys at Pattaya Rent a Room made me two new ones and I forgot about the matter.

But geuss what ..my suspicions were right all along....

Yesterday morning 8.00 am I was disturbed from a deep sleep by what I thought was someone trying to open the door to the appartment next door. After a few moments the noises stopped and I immediatley went back to sleep.

However. when I got up a few hours later, I was amazed to discover my door ajar and 3,300 Baht missing from my table.

I know, I should have double locked the door...

Bastards.

Just another day in LOS (Land of Scams) I suppose.

Gerefan

February 26th, 2006, 21:42
Land of scams --- No mate no scam. Just a lack of security on your behalf so look at yourself and not the country to where your a guest.

February 27th, 2006, 08:46
Thats right blame the victim.

February 27th, 2006, 20:21
Yes Goodlad in this case lets blame the victim. Unless your a young kid or totally dependant on adult help, then i suggest that you should take more care.
If i knew my key was not with me then alarm bells would start to ring and most certainly i would have bolted the door from inside.
So Mr Goodlad CRAP TO U TOO

February 27th, 2006, 21:25
Think these replies to the post are not constructive. What you should have done is got the locks changed. I think that is what I would have done for definate. Not sure if you rent the room the room or the apartment is your own. If you rented it, I would have moved to another room, if it is your own then change the locks.

Must admit, the person who broke in did have a nerve as you were sleeping and more important you lost the key in the building somewhere so it was probably someone local.

Anyway that's my advice.

Dodger
February 28th, 2006, 02:44
Knock on wood, I've never been robbed, but there's a few simple tactics I use which allow me to rest a little easier when visiting LOS.

The doors at View Ta lay condor's have double locks, one being a dead bolt, and the other locks the door knob. This is probably the most common door locking arrangement you'll see at other rental properties as well...and a very high risk in my opinion.

Every time I arrive for holiday and my friend from View Ta lay hands me the keys to the condo I get the same red signals, e.g., who was renting the unit before me, did the renter give an extra set of keys to his boy or girl friend during his stay, did one or more of his friends make extra keys???

I always store a wooden wedge in my hold baggage, the kind you kick in place on the floor to prevent the door from being opened from the outside. This cheap little device would cause someone to have to knock the door down in order to enter when you're inside.

Secondly, I would never rent any unit that wasn't equipped with a permanently mounted safety box. I never leave valuables laying out and never store valuables in the box. You may ask yourself...what do I do with my valuables. Answer: I don't bring any when I'm on holiday. I do all my spending with Travelers Checks and keep the register of serial numbers on my person. I only cash enough travelers check's to get me through a day or two, so it's not the end of the world if I were to be robbed.

I know there's plenty of farangs who are more fashion conscious and want to wear their shiny jewelry around town, and all I can say is "Good Luck." because if they want it bad enough, they'll get it. I have a policy that I don't wear anything around my neck that's more valuable to me THAN my neck.

mai pen rai

lonelywombat
March 2nd, 2006, 14:09
I have had enough bad experiences to not let my keys out of sight, and am always present when housekeeping is done.

Some years ago on arrival I found someone had had a party, there were beer bottles, a full ashtray and used condoms on the unmade bed. That was when I stopped leaving keys at reception. Dragon lady and I had a standup fight over that and Jason got involved. Her favourite defence "You Liar"

Tenants in my condo have reported international phone calls showing up on the bill, their internet connection being used , furniture moved, dirty glasses in the sink and the bed being used.

I wont say anymore but Yensabai residents will understand, when I point out the phone calls were all to the USA.

The problem only started in the last 3 years.

I had not thought of any problems whilst I was sleeping, I have been concerned as to who is going in, when I am away.

March 2nd, 2006, 17:56
I am so sorry that this happened to you. Most of all I would have been terrified to think that someone came in when I was asleep.

Like most people I am careful with keys (although I mostly stay in hotels for holiday trips) and careful to lock the door from inside. On early trips I stayed in a really cheap hotel near the action in Pattaya, where you pushed the button on the door handle inside the door. One famous afternoon, while having a nap, a boy I had been avoiding (he was stalking me!!) knocked at the door and called out. I ignored him, and he just rattled the door handle and eventually the door opened!!!

Now I stay in slightly more up-market hotels (not too flash, I am not rich!) and always make sure there is a safe in the room. I keep everything there, and carry only what I need for the night, wear no jewellery now, and make sure I leave the keys at reception. So far so good for me, but even these precautions will not always work. One friend of mine had cash taken from the safe box at reception. These normally need two keys, yours and the reception has the second key, so this neede to be an inside job. The hotel was great to him and he still stays there.

March 2nd, 2006, 19:26
I have stayed in Yansabi many times and have had no problems only with reception. This is mainly due to the fact that we only speak Thaigilish,and the receptionist has only has a limited number of replies. Pattaya rent a room have always been excellent with me even when I locked my keys in the condo he came from home to let me in. I travel many times each month with my work and where ever I am I sure to keep my keys safe. Only been robbed once and that was in Heathrow airport ┬г4.00 for a cup of coffee.

March 3rd, 2006, 09:27
Interesting ideas everyone. Beast thing is not to bring flsahy phones or jewelry. Buy on cheap used fone that no boy would be caught dead with. The wooden wedge is a new one for me. I email myself my traveller check numbers.