PDA

View Full Version : Review of Birdcage opening night

March 2nd, 2008, 23:18
When I arrived at about 8:30 the Birdcage was starting to fill up. The seating is u shaped. Most seats were taken directly in front of the stage 4 rows. Seats on the sides were almost filled. The dancers in the birdcages were good looking in my view as were the dancers on the stage. Most of the dancers were those that I seen around at other bars.

The food was catered by Googie and it was very good and plentiful. When I left at 11:30 there was still food being served. There was Thai food being served on one side of the alcove and western on the other side. There was roasted beef, chicken, pork, sausages, potato salad, green bean with seafood, Thai soups, fried rice and several other dishes. People seemed to enjoy it as I saw many people go back several times.....KQuill put on a nice buffet! Thanks!!

As the night went on and more people arrived the drink service really slowed down. At one point my friend and I waited 20 minutes for a drink (after reminding the waiter twice that we did not get our drinks). But this was understandable since the place was so full it was hard to walk around. One thing was a bit upsetting and I imagine for the owners too! The computer system for the drinks went down and so we received a cash register type tape that said 0.00. The first 2 round of drinks we did receive the normal type of handwritten bill you get. We had a total of 8 drinks (4 gin and tonics and 4 whiskey and soda) and the bill was 1610. We did not order any top shelf liquor so I did not understand why the price was so high. The waiter said problem with computer and as there was no way to prove how many drinks we had, I just paid and will bring this up to Kevin later. In NO WAY did I feel I was being cheated on purpose. The computer system failed and I know Kevin will make it right. I think everyone was doing their best for the first night.

Mark started the show a bit early since the house was full since 8:30. I must say I really expected more. The costumes were mostly black and with the lighting system they have it was hard to see. Others may have a different view, but I did not think highly of the show this night. Very bland and canned, everything was predictable in my view. Mark did promise the shows would improve and I hope some originality and better costume design is part of it. Someone mentioned that Mark might want to look at the production at Dynamite bar. True,at Dynamite, half of the acts are ladyboy but the other half have good looking boys and the shower show (some here may say...not a shower show) is very sensual I feel.

Remember, this was the first night. There was no soft opening to iron out the kinks. But since the Birdcage is being built around a "show", I hope this aspect improves. considering the great food and wonderful decor, the evening was very enjoyable

thaiworthy-old
March 2nd, 2008, 23:26
What about the smokers? I would doubt there would be any where they didn't belong. Was there a section for them? I know it was discussed here as to some area for them. Would be interested to know what finally developed.

I have visions of Cartamundi turning blue for the desire of a cigarette.

painai2
March 2nd, 2008, 23:39
The smokers can smoke on the terrace, at the picnic tables.. One of skits involved lighting up a cigarette, which was quickly put out after.

globalwanderer
March 3rd, 2008, 02:09
I thought that the show was way the best in Pattaya in along time and goes back to the old Throb days, without repeating too many of the old numbers. Yes the guys still have things to iron out, but considering how little time they gave themselves to put the whole thing together, a great new venue which will only improve.

March 3rd, 2008, 02:14
Did you stay up to do this post, bet you couldn't wait to get home to write this post couldn't you? Sad! Similarly, couldn't believe you putting the total drinks amount, how come it was 1610, 8 drinks = 8 x 200 is 1600, what happened to the 10bht. I hope that wasn't a tip!!

Glad it went well anyway.

lonelywombat
March 3rd, 2008, 02:40
We are 4 hours ahead of LOS and as I was going to bed could not help feeling jealous that I was not there to celebrate the new show bar.

Even now as I am having breakfast, many are probably just arriving home or sending their off on his way

Sure every place has teething problems. I was amazed in LOS it could be up and running so quickly.

Please keep the reports coming. For those of us that could not be there we are anxious to hear more.

Marsha-old
March 3rd, 2008, 02:41
I disagree about the shows. I agree with globalwanderer it was and will be the best show in Pattaya, if they can keep up the standards.

Give the guys sometime. Im sure they will sort the few teething problems out.

thaiworthy-old
March 3rd, 2008, 02:43
Does anybody have any pictures of the event?

With so much hype and anticipation, it would be wonderful to see some shots of the place and the shows.

jinks
March 3rd, 2008, 04:50

With so much hype and anticipation, it would be wonderful to see some shots of the place and the shows.

Yes we all miss Boxer :(

It will be 100 days on the 5th.

http://www.gayaffairspattaya.com/index/archive/brian/photo.jpg

March 3rd, 2008, 06:05
Well done Jinks.

March 3rd, 2008, 09:28
Well done Jinks.

Hi,

I most certainly do, a great person and a great friend, I am priviliged to have known him.

March 3rd, 2008, 10:44
Did you stay up to do this post, bet you couldn't wait to get home to write this post couldn't you? Sad! Similarly, couldn't believe you putting the total drinks amount, how come it was 1610, 8 drinks = 8 x 200 is 1600, what happened to the 10bht. I hope that wasn't a tip!!

Glad it went well anyway.

I hope your comment makes you feel better. You should seek help.

The drinks were 150 baht not 200. 8 x 150 = 1200 baht. In case you missed it, I was reporting on a computer error which had an effect on their wonderful opening. Tips were not included in the bill presented. You pay that "up to you". So don't be concerned about the tip.

By the way, do you have anything useful to add about the opening?

March 3rd, 2008, 11:24
By the way, do you have anything useful to add about the opening?

Probably not PM, because as some of the posters here, WD is only able to analyze other's posts and criticize them.
There are only a few creative people who are able to add something to this forum.

Regarding the opening of BC: I wasn't there, because I have to take care my Thai income tax from Monday 5 a.m., so I'll visit BC next weekend. By then, the possible minor problems will be solved.
I hope that boys, show and service are like I used to enjoy it during the 'old' T&S times. If that's the case (at least) I know I don't have to worry.

March 5th, 2008, 07:00

I believe they are up on the website thaiworthy.

Kevin.