View Full Version : After the Birdcage Opening.

catawampuscat
March 2nd, 2008, 21:39
Early reports are that the boys are hot and the music loud.. :cat:

March 2nd, 2008, 22:33
Will second the music was loud.

painai2
March 2nd, 2008, 23:12
I can verify very hot boys--and the off fee is 300 baht.

globalwanderer
March 3rd, 2008, 02:06
yes it seems the ac had problems with the numbers of guests. Hope they'll sort.

The music was no louder than most other bars. i could still hold a conversation without shouting.

Let's give kevin and Mark a chance to sort things out.. it was first night with no soft opening and computer and other problems

March 3rd, 2008, 02:16
Be interesting to see KQUILL's report on the place. Can't you lot wait until he can "speak for himself"?

Marsha-old
March 3rd, 2008, 02:38
I think the opening went well.

Sure they had a few teething problems, with lights and computer going down, but it was a great night.

The shows were fresh and great fun. Nice to see the old Throb showboys, with some new faces.It had some really good upbeat numbers. A lot of sexy boys in thongs. Lets hope someone can put some pictures on the net. Only wish you could see them better?

I do think that the lights were not as promised, but im sure this will be put right.

The boys were very hot.

I think this bar will do well, if they can keep up the standards.

March 3rd, 2008, 04:34
Guys,

I am very tired and appreciate you all giving us a chance to put a few hiccups right.

In my opinion,

1. The lights were too dark to see the shows.

2.i was extremely disappointed that they could not get the computer correct, especially after the amount of training they received.

3.The sound and light man, who I was very proud of, decided to go and get himself totally pissed this evening, and I then found I was certainly wasting my time trying to have a discussion with him!

4. WE will correct these problems very quickly.

5. I know of one waiter, who was from old, and decided to add his tip to the bills with our without customer consent, I did see it, will address it, but did not want to spoil a good evening for everyone and the staff had worked hard and were tired, I thought it unfair to take it out on the people who had helped the bar most.

6. I was astonished at the amount of people who turned up, It will not take long to iron the few problems out.

7. I thought the coyote boys were fabulous.

8. Thanks each and everyone of you who attended and helped make this a great success. Your kindness and understanding helped me keep my cool under pressure!

March 3rd, 2008, 06:08
Kevin, Congratulations on the opening and thank for the debriefing. I will be pleased to enjoy the venue next month.

March 3rd, 2008, 08:19
Can't you lot wait until he can "speak for himself"?Is this usual for openings in London these days, WhiteDesire? Or does some other (and lesser) standard apply in Thailand? I was also disappointed by the topic for the thread. I thought from "After the Birdcage opening" that it would be a report on the post-opening party, rather like the post-Oscars party - or possibly a report on what happened when Hedda opened her birdcage and found the latest budgie dead on the floor

March 3rd, 2008, 17:13
A fabulous night Kevin and the club looks great, I am sure the Bird Cage will be a big success.

Choc Dee,

George.

March 3rd, 2008, 20:18
I had a great time at the opening. The show was really fun -- and the boy dancers hot! Nice work, Kevin. I know this kind of thing doesn't just happen -- and regardless of any first night errors, you should be very proud of your success.

Best of luck to you in the future, and I will definitely be returning!

(TR) The Rose

Shuee
March 4th, 2008, 00:03
great job kevin, i liked it

however i wont set foot in the place again until that currupt waiter has gone for good

March 4th, 2008, 02:21
Shuee, the corrupt waiter has now been put outside as a doorman. I don't think he will stay at that position and i think he will leave.

He will not be working inside the bar again i can guarantee that.

The computer system was working well tonight and there was no writing on bills, everything was printed for the customers to see.

Light system also better tonight and we will improve it even more so, over the next few days.

Have some really hot guys and more arriving every day.

Look forward to seeing you again

Marsha

March 4th, 2008, 12:34
I went to the 11pm show on the second night, arriving at 10.45pm when there was plenty of space in contrast to the inevitably overcrowded first night. I was able to sit in the central area where there were no columns interrupting the view of the stage. Unlike the first night, the music was at a reasonable volume and the air-con was coping well providing a good clean atmosphere. The only smoking happened during the show when Mark was given a light by the fire eater. Mark instantly stubbed the cigarette out, proclaiming "No smoking!". Good for you, and for the rest of the customers who dislike other people's second hand smoke. The theme music "The Final Countdown" gave a fabulously dramatic feeling to this entertaining act.

It was good to see Art again after a couple of years, even if he has filled out a bit, but I'm sure he'll lose some weight doing the energetic movements in the acts, such as the 'Chicken Dance' which I thoroughly enjoyed, even when he and the two other chickens came amongst the audience! Several enjoyable acts filled the hour long program, most of which involved the participants getting down to their brief briefs. Mark announced at the end that the shows would change, presumably on a continuous cycle, similar to the old Throb days. Even the 12.15am show was going to be different from the one I had just seen.

Before and after the show, a varied selection of many go-go boys presented themselves for our perusal. Enough to please most tastes. They do smile back if you smile at them! I'd love to see them moving, rather than just standing still and changing positions every few minutes.

The spotlights reflecting off the mirrors at the back of the stage into the eyes of the audience was annoying at times, just as they were with the previous owner. I hope that can be sorted out this time (do we really need the mirrors at the back?).

Drinks were at a special 'Monday night' rate. Gin & tonic was 130Bt and the bill came printed, so probably less chance of errors or corruption by staff. I did object to the toilet attendant, but the clean facilities in there were such a refreshing change from the usual shit-holes we have to use in other places (even restaurants), that I gave him 10Bt for his trouble, which he obviously though little of. I would much rather tend to things myself as I am fully capable of turning on a tap and picking up a towel myself. I certainly don't want a neck massage while I'm trying to pee! The serious downside of these attendants is that it dissuades many from washing their hands after, - most unhygienic.

All in all, a most enjoyable hour or so at a reasonable cost. I do hope the Birdcage succeeds with the full support of the gay community, rather than having to rely on straight groups and tours rubbernecking what we enjoy and get up to, something which has killed off my enjoyment of much of Boyztown.

March 4th, 2008, 14:46
As earlier posted, I really like Birdcage. Happy that the management has taken care of the erroneous tipping added to the bill.

But here is my question:
I am curious if Birdcage will start to emphasis that this is a fabulous go-go bar as well as a show bar? It seems that it must be a very expensive upkeep to it. It is large and bright, well air-conditioned, and has handsome men and a very nice staff. But the show starts at 11:00 and then 12:15. The Birdcage seems to only be promoting the show. From 8 -10:45, what? I imagine the handsome men will stay because they can earn a good living by being offed not because people arrive at 10:45 and leave an hour later after the show.

Now I realize that it has been open only two days and that the owners know more about this than I do. Just a question

lonelywombat
March 4th, 2008, 16:35
As earlier posted, I really like Birdcage. Happy that the management has taken care of the erroneous tipping added to the bill.

But here is my question:
I am curious if Birdcage will start to emphasis that this is a fabulous go-go bar as well as a show bar? It seems that it must be a very expensive upkeep to it. It is large and bright, well air-conditioned, and has handsome men and a very nice staff. But the show starts at 11:00 and then 12:15. The Birdcage seems to only be promoting the show. From 8 -10:45, what? I imagine the handsome men will stay because they can earn a good living by being offed not because people arrive at 10:45 and leave an hour later after the show.

Now I realize that it has been open only two days and that the owners know more about this than I do. Just a question

Like all show bars and Throb before Birdcage, the go go boy was considered a low cost background only.

I believe that Birdcage are missing out on a lot of [off]income, because of their arrogance to rent bois.

Maybe if they wore a frock they might be better treated

Love to see their budget as to how much they expect to get from off fees

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 4th, 2008, 20:24
but early reports to me was that is was all old hat and the show was typically gay camp old stuff..which is all very me so can't wait to go !

all the same reprobates as well.

March 5th, 2008, 06:51

But here is my question:

Like all show bars and Throb before Birdcage, the go go boy was considered a low cost background only.

I believe that Birdcage are missing out on a lot of [off]income, because of their arrogance to rent bois.

I disagree,

There is no arrogance to rent boys, they are all treated the same, however, if there is arrogance, it can only be a Thai on Thai perspective about status and salary, it is certainly not displayed by myself or Mark towards the boys.

I even made a point of having a meeting with the go go boys, that after the opening night, there would be ample time for the go go boys to be on stage and display their talents instead of it be totally taken over by shows.

Sometimes, I think board members here care more from their own way of seeing things than the boys do!

The bar opens at 8.00pm with the go go boys and the Coyotes are on stage at 9.00pm. The shows do not commence until 11.00pm.

Regards, wearing a frock and getting better treated, again not be me, cocks in frocks are not my scene!

March 5th, 2008, 10:58
I went to Birdcage on their day 3 since opening. I find it to be one of the more comfortable bars with good looking boys. The Coyote dancers really are a great addition, since it is sort of a show by itself. I arrived at 9:15. There were several other farangs there all ready. I was there about an hour. There was especially for low season, alot of foot traffic. I asked one of the men from the stage to come down for a drink. He spoke fairly good English. I noticed (I believe) that several dancers were offed as I saw them leave with a farang. It was a fun night and the lighting, computer system were functioning properly.

In Kquill's post here I noticed he mentioned something about "cocks in frocks is not my scene". I don't understand what that means. I was thinking it might have been about my comment concerning costumes, where I said I was expecting more of the opening night show and many disagreed with that point saying they thought the show was the best around.

Anyway, I am glad I bought my VIP card the first night and saved 10% off my bill.

March 6th, 2008, 18:29
I went to Birdcage on their day 3 since opening. I find it to be one of the more comfortable bars with good looking boys. The Coyote dancers really are a great addition, since it is sort of a show by itself. I arrived at 9:15. There were several other farangs there all ready. I was there about an hour. There was especially for low season, alot of foot traffic. I asked one of the men from the stage to come down for a drink. He spoke fairly good English. I noticed (I believe) that several dancers were offed as I saw them leave with a farang. It was a fun night and the lighting, computer system were functioning properly.

In Kquill's post here I noticed he mentioned something about "cocks in frocks is not my scene". I don't understand what that means. I was thinking it might have been about my comment concerning costumes, where I said I was expecting more of the opening night show and many disagreed with that point saying they thought the show was the best around.

Anyway, I am glad I bought my VIP card the first night and saved 10% off my bill.

Pattayamale,

It was a response to the post by lonelywombat. Sorry bif there was confusion.

catawampuscat
March 8th, 2008, 00:13
First, I didn't author this thread but it was broken off by the moderators from another thread.. It is not important but
I thought it was appropriate to mention, in that, I am now commenting on my visit to Birdcage.

I decided to stop by tonite as rumours of possible police raids in Sunee Plaza, made a visit to Day-Night seem like a
good idea.
Birdcage has a slick night club feel with black walls and lots of mirrors.. The birdcages were a nice idea and the coyote dancers
were quite animated while the go go boys seemed lost in space.

The lighting is much too dark as kquill mentioned earlier. My friend was concerned about the negative health effects of the lasers and
I trust kquill knows the dangers and is on top of this just in case..
Sound system was good and not too loud and believe me, I would be a bitching if it was too loud..

My disappointment was chiefly with the go go boys as there were far fewer than on opening nite (as per another friend) and
very average..
One waiter said there was an Isaan concert tonite and many boys took off to go but I have heard that one every time
a go go bar is short of boys but it could be a reason..
The show was as I expected and since I never enjoyed the Throb/Splash style shows, I was not disappointed but simply bored.
The show is non sexual and I would have been comfortable bringing my maiden aunts and my little nieces as it was non erotic..

The Birdcage has potential, but as of now, is one long yawn and amateur hour..
The shows at Wild West Boys on Pattayaland soi 2 is so far superior that it
is in another league. Birdcage was half empty for the 11PM show but it was so dark that I couldn't be sure..
I would urge the owner to see the Wild West Boys show and some of the other shows in town.
At least there were no lady-men lip syncing but the skit with the angel and the devil was so bad, it was pathetic and the chicken dance
was amusing and it would have been better if it was the whole show..

The Guys bar was far superior in go go boy talent and the show was much better and that bar failed, so I hope kquill gets his act together
and frankly dumps Marsha and finds a new choreographer and fresh faces..in my humble opinion :cat:

March 8th, 2008, 04:08
First, I didn't author this thread but it was broken off by the moderators from another thread.. It is not important but
I thought it was appropriate to mention, in that, I am now commenting on my visit to Birdcage.

I decided to stop by tonite as rumours of possible police raids in Sunee Plaza, made a visit to Day-Night seem like a
good idea.
Birdcage has a slick night club feel with black walls and lots of mirrors.. The birdcages were a nice idea and the coyote dancers
were quite animated while the go go boys seemed lost in space.

The lighting is much too dark as kquill mentioned earlier. My friend was concerned about the negative health effects of the lasers and
I trust kquill knows the dangers and is on top of this just in case..
Sound system was good and not too loud and believe me, I would be a bitching if it was too loud..

My disappointment was chiefly with the go go boys as there were far fewer than on opening nite (as per another friend) and
very average..
One waiter said there was an Isaan concert tonite and many boys took off to go but I have heard that one every time
a go go bar is short of boys but it could be a reason..
The show was as I expected and since I never enjoyed the Throb/Splash style shows, I was not disappointed but simply bored.
The show is non sexual and I would have been comfortable bringing my maiden aunts and my little nieces as it was non erotic..

The Birdcage has potential, but as of now, is one long yawn and amateur hour..
The shows at Wild West Boys on Pattayaland soi 2 is so far superior that it
is in another league. Birdcage was half empty for the 11PM show but it was so dark that I couldn't be sure..
I would urge the owner to see the Wild West Boys show and some of the other shows in town.
At least there were no lady-men lip syncing but the skit with the angel and the devil was so bad, it was pathetic and the chicken dance
was amusing and it would have been better if it was the whole show..

The Guys bar was far superior in go go boy talent and the show was much better and that bar failed, so I hope kquill gets his act together
and frankly dumps Marsha and finds a new choreographer and fresh faces..in my humble opinion :cat:

Just "shows" how people differ,

We have been very much complimented on the boys which has reflected in the offs for both Coyote and Boys. Waiters are happy as they now have customers and get tips?

Shows!

Over to Marsha, but he has been putting in 18 hours a day, as has Thar, his boyfriend as well as Tam and I.

I don't really think we can judge a bar that is open for less than a week immediately, however, some judged it before the doors opened.

I usually prefer to decide by myself by visiting a venue, as opposed to forming an opinion after listening to Boyztown or Sunnee authorities on the subject, some of whom are commenting and relaying their favoured comments from their cronies, without actually visiting the premises, I find that a tad shallow and sad, but this is Pattaya!

Some people will always remember the odd problem, others are trying to crucify a venue before it gets going.

UP TO YOU AS THEY SAY.

PS There was an Isaarn show and many boys did take off to go and also many attempted to book free days etc

You can please some of the people, some of the time!

March 8th, 2008, 04:46
Cat, very catty. Most reports have been good about the show. Kevin and I have both been to Wild West show and its ok, if you like that sort of thing?

Guys was a bar that unfortunately did not work for the owner. We have only been open a short while and we are not doing so bad on our first week. As said, we can not please every one, but we do our best. Most people have left very happy. As they did this evening.

New numbers will be added every month as promised. If its not your cup of tea then i suggest you stay at Wild West. We are trying very hard to please every customer and will except criticism where it is due. We will continue to improve the lights over the next few days.

I think yours is just a personal dig at me. If you feel like you do, then why hide behind a false name. Approach me at the bar and say what you thought to my face. I don't bite and will listen.

I'm at the Birdcage to stay and with Kevin will make it one of the best places for customers to come to.

Hope to see you again soon, where I'm sure you will introduce yourself. Shall not answer you again on here untill you have spoken to me face to face.

catawampuscat
March 8th, 2008, 07:42
It is courageous and honourable for both of you to respond to my relatively negative comments..
I was going to hold back from commenting as the new bar is only a few days old and obviously not
at peak performance but I do have a problem not regurgitating daily events.. To be honest, I don't like
Marsha and was grateful he/she did not get up on the stage.. I have no reason not to like Marsha except the
woman's name, but sometimes one just looks at someone and is turned off.. Not fair but very fair to mention
when one is prejudiced and biased, as I readily admit I am.

I want Birdcage to succeed.. The issues I brought up, are being addressed such as the dark lighting.
The relatively low number of go go boys due to the Isaan concert appears to be a fact rather than
a lame waiter excuse and Birdcage definitely deserves another look, next month, by this overly critical critic..

I had made my dislike of Marsha's (hate the name)work clear and obviously nothing Marsha could have done would have
worked for me. It is not my bar and I realize the concept is meant to appeal to a broader audience than horny older gay men but was so bland and tired that it missed the mark by a kilometer.. Almost every number was a variation of each other and how many times can you pull off the Velcro pants and show your undershorts.
The very overweight lead kateoy works for some and is a lead bomb for others. I don't go to see shows with grotesquely fat people and
don't even like the Dolly Sisters.. It must be my issue but centering a show about a very fat lady-man is a bad gamble unless the straights start
coming to laugh at the freak show.. Why not get some lady boy dwarfs but better yet, get some attractive young men and move on...
The old group of show dancers are showing their age and it is hard to look at them when they are past the age
of retirement, very chunky and graying (sarcasm here). The one new boy/guy with the longer hair had a great
body and is hot but he makes the others look bad in comparison..Someone must be fucking the lead dancer as he just doesn't have the body to
be in the middle..

The coyote dancers were hot but I couldn't see them as it was so dark.. One, in particular looked great but he was like
a ghost and barely discernible, as already noted the lighting is too dark..
The go go boys weren't ugly or bad but flat with one or two exceptions and it seemed to one companion of mine that all
a guy/boy needed was an ID card to get a go go boy job at Birdcage.. I had heard the go go boys were hot and it is very
possible the eye candy was off at the Isaan concert.. Enough said and I wish kquill success for my own selfish reasons and did try
to be constructive and honest with my own jaundiced viewpoint... :cat:

March 8th, 2008, 08:57
DELETED

March 8th, 2008, 10:15
...I hope kquill gets his act together

BAD KITTY! BAD BAD KITTY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUOeGLL-54&feature=PlayList&p=54F4DF30022E6375&index=0

March 8th, 2008, 10:23
Congrats to KQ and best wishes for success. That large venue was always one crying out for something special.

I wanted to share this video for a while and this is as good a time as any....
(This is my vision of Kevin Quill ) :geek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcCLKn6W1xk&feature=PlayList&p=5C604613C32A2A8E&index=70

March 8th, 2008, 10:37
Dear Cat,

Thanks for the great answer and honesty in your reply.
\

Kenc, I think we should put you in charge of the choreography, what are you doing for the next say....................., well at least, until we get another Prime Minister!

catawampuscat
March 8th, 2008, 10:37
John, Marsha announced another best bum contest coming soon..
I have a feeling history will be repeated.. :cat:

PeterUK
March 8th, 2008, 11:12
I visited Birdcage a couple of nights ago and have to say that I was distinctly underwhelmed. The potential is clearly there but at the moment I think much work needs to be done if it is to succeed in a location where success has to be earned. Seating, service and general appearance were okay (yes, a bit too dark), but I found most of the gogo boys very ordinary in the looks department. A good job has been done in providing variety, but they're just not sexy enough in my opinion, apart from one or two of the coyote dancers. I stayed for the eleven o'clock show. When I first saw the Throb show years ago I thought it was great entertainment, but seeing many numbers rehashed here without the original enthusiasm did nothing for me. The dancing and routines were repetitive and lacklustre - it was as if the performers themselves were only too aware that this was tired old stuff. I am not a Christian but thought the Jesus Christ sketch to be in very bad taste as did the friends I was with. Would the owner have allowed such a sketch featuring Lord Buddha or, dare I say it, the Prophet Mohammed? If not, why gratuitously offend Christians, who I presume turn up from time to time even in gogo bars? It must be hard to break away from what has proved a winning formula in the past, but I think Birdcage really needs to come up with a show with a completely new feel to it, employ some better-looking gogo boys and get a sense of energy in the place.

TrongpaiExpat
March 8th, 2008, 11:27
Cat, very catty. Most reports have been good about the show. ................
We are trying very hard to please every customer and will except criticism where it is due.

That's the price you have to pay when you choose to used this forum as a promotional instrument. You will get criticism where it's due and not due, deserved and not deserved.

Just let the readers sort it out.

March 8th, 2008, 11:42
Cat, very catty. Most reports have been good about the show. ................
We are trying very hard to please every customer and will except criticism where it is due.

That's the price you have to pay when you choose to used this forum as a promotional instrument. You will get criticism where it's due and not due, deserved and not deserved.

Just let the readers sort it out.

True TrongpaiExpat,

We have now sorted the lighting, which is up and running with many new effects. The lasers, as one poster pointed out, are not real lasers, only give that effect and are not dangerous at all.

The sound system is sorted, at least it certainly was last evening, Shows, It is a matter of choice and taste. Some people have been in night after night, others have not.

The outside smoking areas are working very well AND has become a bit of a meeting area.

We are also getting Chinese, Vietnamese into the building and they seem to like it.

Regards the Boyz, again up to you, many have given favorouble comments on the boyz and the selection. It is not an easy game, I also hads many ups and downs at my old venue and it took quite a while to sort it out.

This is Pattaya, Boyz will come and go, one month they are all in one bar and the next they have gone home or moved to another place.

thrillbill
March 8th, 2008, 13:50
OK, I'll give my 2 baht on the Bird Cage. My Thai friend and I finally made it to BC this weekend and really like the new remodeling job-- who would have thought that the old dump could look so "new" and fresh. Though we we not into picking up anyone, the place could have had a few more "muscle"boys. We both noticed how the ones that danced on stage or in the cages seemed to get our eye more than the ones just swaying back and forth. Also, the waiters were real friendly and on task.

The show needs some "fine tuning";for the dance movements seemed to lack energy and coordination. The guys are probably amateurs and need some dance professional that can get them to shine. Compliments need to go to the originality of the skits... at least they're not like the left over dance members from Tiffanies swaying in glitzy, feathered costumes to the old tunes of the 1950's that a couple of the go-go boy clubs have for their shows.

..And no smoke!!!!! It was a BIG CHANGE last night to be at Bird Cage and Boyz Boyz Boyz and not inhale smoke. I think this is a big plus for all of the clubs as long as they provide sitting areas outside for the smokers who want to smoke.

I think Bird Cage can be successful around Day Night Hotel; for, there are a lot of tourist who stay there and it isn't too far fromo Sunee or even Boystown.

March 8th, 2008, 13:53
I think it is to Kevin's credit that he has been answering posts on this forum. In my view he is working as quickly as possible to get the bar together and strengthen the bar for the customers. Some of us that have never opened a place (bar, restaurant, night club, etc.) In fact I remember when Throb/Splash just opened the "sea" came rushing out the door on the Splash side one night.

I was at Birdcage the first and the third night it opened. While I expected more from the show the first night, as I posted, many of the other problems with computer and lighting and too loud music had been corrected. When I was there the third night, several of the coyote dancers and go-go boys were being offed. The boys were handsome in my view.

Some of the points mentioned here seem easy to fix. Maybe a light over each of the birdcages would help us see the coyote dancers (whom I feel put on a great show...they dance and are very attractive).

Popular boys work at places they know they can make money. I believe that some boys are waiting to see how well Birdcage does before abandoning their current employer. I enjoy simply calling a boy off the stage to talk with (as at beer bars). I talk with them a while give a small tip (50 baht....cheap bastard I am) and send them back to dance. It is an interesting and fun evening for me. I remind myself over and over that these boys make my living in Thailand so much more enjoyable....and that to keep them here THEY must make a living too!!!!

It is also my view that a really good go-go bar has a really good mamasm (which I view more as a host). A good host will circulate throughout the crowd acknowledge that it is good that you are there and that he is there to help you have a good time. He is NOT there to pawn off boys and drinks!!! A good mamasam (host) can give alot of energy to a bar. He can make the boys laugh and the customers want to return. A BAD mamasam can chase the customers away. No mamasam means no direction for the bar boys or help for the customers. (Rose from Funny Boys ... Dynamite Bar before that...is an example of a good host in my view). I enjoy Birdcage at this point as a better gogo bar than a show bar.

My previous suggestion of a good show at Dynamite Bar was taken by some to mean ladyboy show. Maybe a better example would be the past Icon show bar. It had back drops, scenery, great costumes and good themes. The dancers "looked" at the customers. They connected with the audience. They had charisma. It was not just the dance steps. After the show they went off stage and thanked the audience. The stage at Birdcage is much bigger and further away from the audience than Throb's stage. When you have a stage with customers closer or "in the round" (like Throb and Boyz Boys Boys) it is more intimate. Since Birdcage has chosen to put their stage back against a wall, they need to have scenery, back drops, and showy costumes. When a small number of performers, the performers need to be at the front of the stage I believe. Also, these performers looked scared or unsure...no connection with the audience. But it seems that Mark must know this and I think needs time to settle in to the new diggs. And I think that we need to give him some time to do this. And understand that we are not paying for a Broadway show. In fact there is no charge not even a two drink minimum.

Kevin's business model must be very very expensive. I REALLY wish him the best. I enjoy this upscale looking club. (Suggestion Mark, no need to get huffy and tell me to go watch a show somewhere else. Just smile and understand that many of us don't need to be reminded that we are idiots} :)

After all the above words, I need to say I am no expert. These are just my thoughts as a customer, like most of us that have seen many shows

March 8th, 2008, 16:57
Hi Pattaya Male.

I understand where you are coming from. Give it time and we will get it right. Adding new faces to the show as we speak.

I dont get huffy, i think Catty remarks were at me and not the show otherwise i would not have told him to go else where. He says he does not like me and he does not even know me, so what can i say. Upto him?

If somethings need put right, i will always listen. Dont forget we have only been open 6 days. Everything is still new to all the boys. But i have had a lot of pms and emails telling me that they really enjoy the shows. So we must be doing somethings right. Will still work at it though and will tell the boys your coments tonight.

Thanks Pattaya Male and i hope to see you when you next come to the bar.

We do have a bum competion on the 28th March and i will try my best not to touch the bums on the stage. But its hard Job to resist?The whole evening will have new shows and new faces.

March 8th, 2008, 17:15
It was certainly not the "Unique New Experience" I was expecting. Apart from being painted black, there is no change to the interior design. Maybe a few Birdcages.
After all the HYPE it was a big disappointment to me.
Same show as I saw at Topman a couple of months ago. I never saw Throb Show so I cannot compare.
If drinks can be cheap on Monday why more expensive other nights.

travelerjim
March 8th, 2008, 19:04
Hi Kevin & Marsha (Mark)...

Sorry I have not yet seen your new club...
expect me this coming week...

I am looking forward to the evening...

And, while cruising the web tonight,
I came upon these...and thought of The Birdcage :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-EaS5k43A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmL3Y6Qz ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmL3Y6QzyA4&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpiMfsYs ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpiMfsYsHKE&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dviUyTHE ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dviUyTHEas4&feature=related)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFyv0QG5Nq0

catawampuscat
March 8th, 2008, 23:59
This poster made some silly assumptions and wrongfully attacked Marsha without even knowing him..
Unfortunately, I have some prejudices and dislikes and among them are gay men who sissify themselves
with woman's names and personae and high heel woman's pumps as a avatar is something like a red cape
to a charging Spanish toro.
I instantly lose respect for men who pretend to be women and affect women's mannerisms and personalities.
I am old enough to remember the days when homos were portrayed as limp-wristed sissy-men with lisps and
hideous transvestites living in the closet..
Large men who try to look like women come off as Devine or Chi Chi Larue of porno making renown.. I find this
all ridiculous and revolting and pity the poor men who search for size 16 women's pumps (high heels shoes)..

My prejudice against massive sized men who identify as women is the cause of my unfair and unkind comments about
Marsha, whom I do not know but dislike due to my prejudices and ignorance of the subject.. MEA CULPA

I greatly respect kquill and admire him as a man and a survivor. His responses to some critics shows him to be
a mature and intelligent businessman and if he is sure about Marsha, we should will give them the time to iron out the
wrinkles.. Probably a soft opening would have better but with the end of high season, the timing was a factor.

Kquill has a very good point about staffing and one can go to the same bar on two different nites and have two completely
different experiences and feelings about the bar..
The hotter, sexier boys/guys are not stupid and they work where the action is , where the offs and the customers are plentiful
and are in communication with each other about where the best places are to work. They can go where they want if they are
handsome and have great bodies and won't leave a good bar to try a new bar unless they know it is a good move for them..
Likewise, the hotter boys won't stay in a bar if it is not happening and there is little action..
Staffing is a bitch and some bar owners have their mamasans raid other bars for their best boys and make offers the boys can't
refuse..
Some customers see the gorgeous new guy and off him and he never returns as he has a patron and doesn't need to work.. Some
customers even do this with 5 or 6 or more boys and lavish them to try to hold them and win their affection and love.. Of course,
this is a foolish as you can't buy love or affection but only rent it until the money stops.. :cat:

globalwanderer
March 9th, 2008, 00:20
If drinks can be cheap on Monday why more expensive other nights.

maybe because Monday night drinks are cheaper to attract customers on an otherwise quiet night. Next you'll be asking if bars have happy hours why can't they have the same prices all night.

March 9th, 2008, 01:04
I am old enough to remember the days when homos were portrayed as limp-wristed sissy-men with lisps and hideous transvestites living in the closet.Are you old enough to remember the Stonewall days - generally held to be the birth (or at least a seminal event) of the modern "gay liberation" movement in the US? Let me refresh everyone's memory. A bunch of New York "limp-wristed sissy-men with lisps and hideous transvestites" were holding a wake in honor of gay icon Judy Garland, whose death had just been announced. Big hairy policemen intervened. The "limp-wristed sissy-men with lisps and hideous transvestites" fought back. I don't have much time for drag myself, and regard drag shows as a form of occupational therapy, but everyone has a place in the rainbow community

March 9th, 2008, 04:49
Everyone should read the review of The Birdcage by that lovely man "Gay Button" It's on the Gay Thailand Message Board.
Very well reviewed; well written and comprehensive in its scope ... (GB is a smoker) unlike some of the pathetic, dull and frankly idiotic comments posted here by rabid non-smokers.
Well done GB

March 9th, 2008, 07:59
I am old enough to remember the days when homos were portrayed as limp-wristed sissy-men with lisps and hideous transvestites living in the closet.Are you old enough to remember the Stonewall days - generally held to be the birth (or at least a seminal event) of the modern "gay liberation" movement in the US? Let me refresh everyone's memory. A bunch of New York "limp-wristed sissy-men with lisps and hideous transvestites" were holding a wake in honor of gay icon Judy Garland, whose death had just been announced. Big hairy policemen intervened. The "limp-wristed sissy-men with lisps and hideous transvestites" fought back. I don't have much time for drag myself, and regard drag shows as a form of occupational therapy, but everyone has a place in the rainbow community

Guys,

I accept what Homintern says about everyone should have a place in the "Rainbow community", but I hate it when this stereotypical identity is given out by the media as if to say it represents all of us in the Rainbow, it does not.

I also find it a little annoying, that this is used by TV comedians etc to imply we all run around in female clothing, on high heels wearing lipstick. We don't.

Also guys, I know it is only another opinion but, the report from Gaybutton, who can be a harsh critic can be found on www.gaythailand.com (http://www.gaythailand.com) We seem to be doing OK in reports from Spice,[ who seemed to like it according to what he told me!] Ting tong message board, Pattaya People, [ both TV and radoi channels]

As I have said, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Some posters have been very astute with the assumptions, "Thais wil indeedl sit on the fence and adopt the wait and see policy", also, we have seen the likes of DJ Station come and go in less than a season!

We have an interview this evening with a good DJ from a well known venue who wishes to try out with us, it would be wrong to name the venue, in case it doesn't work out for any of us!

Last night I didn't attend, but sent my spies down and the feedback via sms was very positive regards shows, borne out by GB reviews.

We also intend to do a number of promotions, events, Live music nights over the coming months and install the draft beer and tuk tuk service as promised.We have, I believe, all relevant music permits for all types of music Thai and Foreign, which was the first thing I did on takeover.

We also serve a wide range of coffees from Mokador coffee company,and snacks from Googie's restaurant and O Briens[his latest venture] Googie has sponsored two of the main prizes for Rear of the Year held later this month and our chosen charity this event is the SOS Rice appeal, a long running and highly respected charity.

There are new showboys training right now as well as new Coyote dancers.

All the best,

dave_tf-old
March 9th, 2008, 09:44
Obviously I can't say anything about this new venture, but I can say that my first visit to Throb (which was still a KQ venture at the time) was the most fun I'd had in a bar anywhere in the world in a dozen years at least. It reminded me of the old days in Bangkok bars where smiles and fun were on the menu at least as much as sex, and where a crowd could be seen smiling and laughing and not just sitting bleary-eyed 'appraising the meat'.

I believe you and your team can do the magic again and make Birdcage the one must-go bar in Pattaya. I don't know if you need cheering, but I'll cheer you anyway. With luck, yours will be the first bar I visit should I return and (if my own Pattaya history is repeated) the only one as well.

Chok Dee

March 11th, 2008, 14:22
We also intend to do a number of promotions, events, Live music nights over the coming months and install the draft beer and tuk tuk service as promised.We have, I believe, all relevant music permits for all types of music Thai and Foreign, which was the first thing I did on takeover.

All the best,

When will the tuk tuks start their service? Will they do a to and from service from the Birdcage? I've often found it difficult to get a motocy from the day night area?

March 11th, 2008, 14:33
And just one more question (suggestion).
If you could guarantee than none of the boys will have those ghastly silicone enhanced cocks then that would be great. Nearly every bar I have been in over the years (except the creches of Sunnee) have one or two boys who have had enhancements done to their dicks. Personally I can't abide these things and the few times I have mistakenly offed a boy with a silicone enhancement then I have sent him home untouched.
If, at the interview stage, you can have someone to inspect and reject boys who have these disgusting things, then I promise to be a regular visitor.

March 11th, 2008, 19:28

All the best,

When will the tuk tuks start their service? Will they do a to and from service from the Birdcage? I've often found it difficult to get a motocy from the day night area?

Hi,

I will get it bought [ the tuk tuk] in the next couple of days and then work out the route. so it is fun and convenient, after all, this is peoples holidays, let's put the fun back in them!

PLENTY of motorbikes now at Daty/Night, they have just requested sponsorship for 60 jackets!

March 11th, 2008, 19:40
And just one more question (suggestion). If you could guarantee than none of the boys will have those ghastly silicone enhanced cocks then that would be great. (...) If, at the interview stage, you can have someone to inspect and reject boys who have these disgusting things, then I promise to be a regular visitor.

Excellent idea! I couldn't agree more. There's no worse turn-off I could think of than a silicone deformed dick. The 2 or 3 times I offed one by mistake (meaning a guy with such a dick), I sent him home untouched and gave him 500 Baht...
On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if some Thai guys gambled on that: getting a tip of, say, 500 Baht for absolutely nothing isn't that bad, is it? This sort of reasoning is of course from a bar boy's point of view only. To the customers who off a guy and look forward to some fun it's just a great nuisance. And did something the like happen to me repeatedly in a particular bar, I'd definitely stop patronizing it.

P.S. the previous poster's expression of "silicone enhanced cocks" is a hilarious euphemism - as it's anything but an enhancement :bounce:

March 14th, 2008, 16:58
Kevin,
I also don't like these silicon cocks, so l would be the ideal person to examine them, to ensure they don't have one, that is after they have been interviewed. I'll wear a white coat if you want.

March 15th, 2008, 05:49
Kevin,
I also don't like these silicon cocks, so l would be the ideal person to examine them, to ensure they don't have one, that is after they have been interviewed. I'll wear a white coat if you want.

Hmmmmm.

Have you got qualifications though!

March 15th, 2008, 09:06
Yes Kevin
l have the qualifications, l can always deal with the rough from the smooth! Many can vouch for that.

(Nice talking Kev..see you soon)

pp

PS do l need my stethoscope and rule?