View Full Version : My impression of 2 venues in Boyztown

February 29th, 2008, 16:17
It has been many months since I went to Cafe Royale for dinner. No real reason other than I thought Ian added so much to the place. He was playful and gave the place a special feeling to me. After he passed away I tried it a few times but for me the magic was gone.

Last night I decided to try it again. I had the Maryland Chicken. The portion which came with a baked potato and vegetables was more than I could eat and the price was not too bad (260 baht). I was not disappointed with the food. I arrived at 8:45pm and no one other than me was in the restaurant. Only one other guy came in during the 45 minutes I was there. He just went in to use the rest room. A few people were sitting outside drinking, but not that many. I no longer recognized any of the waiters other than Noom who has been there 14 years. I was surprised because in the past many of the waiters had been there several years. I did not see any manager and in my opinion it was a bit depressing. It seemed to lack "soul"

After dinner I went across the street to Funny Boys. It had been over a year since I had been into that bar. WOW! Funny Boys has some of the best looking boys!! It was very clean, smokeless, and the mamasan (Rose) was fantastic. I ordered my drink and was enjoying looking at the dancers. Rose came over after I had been there for awhile and introduced himself. No pressure at all. He said he hoped I would enjoy myself and left to do whatever they do. A little later I motioned him over and asked which boy spoke good English. He gave me some choices and I picked one to talk with. I bought the boy a drink and sat and joked around for about 30 minutes before I tipped the boy and left. In my opinion this bar is fantastic! I have some friends that have been coming to Pattaya for several years. This past January I was sitting with them at Oscars. Both had said they had never been to Funny Boys. I wrote them an email and told them I think they should give it a try! Very nice place...........as most of you probably already know!

thrillbill
February 29th, 2008, 16:50
When one lives here vs. being on holiday is certainly creates a different impression. I guess the problem with Pattaya is that we are limited in the variety of places to go to (gay bars; dance clubs; restaurants...whatever ) except for the go-go boy clubs if that is your nightly activity. I find that Royale Cafe needs to change singers once in a while. Khun Toi can sing those old tunes and smile at the audience, but it would be NICE to have a new face singing. Same with Boyz Boyz Boyz, I am sure the nightly caberet is wonderful to some of the visting tourists who are overr 60 years old, since the songs lip sync with are tunes from the '40's and 50's plus the typical muscial songs of Chicago or ???? )I was at Boat Bar last weekend and thought the show there was so much better, the cute guys were really trained dancers and the songs were atleast "hip"...but I imagine if I lived there, it would become "the same old thing.") You mentioned Funny Boys and when I stopped in there once, it was full of young skinny girlie types that wouldn't be everyones candy for sure. But that is what's refreshing about going on holiday, everything has a different perspective...

February 29th, 2008, 16:59
What a coincidence, I had lunch at Cafe Royale yesterday after not having been there for quite a while, as well. Mac, one of the other "senior" waiters was there, and the rest of the fellows were new. I had Chicken Kiev and asked for a baked potato in lieu of the standard french fries, and the baked potato was HUGE. I had lunch today with a friend at Sizzler, and the potato at Cafe Royale was TWICE the size. Also, the piece of chicken was a very generous size. Vegetables hot, but still crisp (not cooked into mush). Much too much food for one person, and quite good.

atri1666
March 1st, 2008, 00:03
I like more herring sour with whipped cream.

March 1st, 2008, 05:11
Hi,

Understand one [ who says he is] of the new owners of Le Cafe Royale refused to extinguish his cigarette despite notices and being requested by both the staff and Foreign manager of the bar.

A bit strange really, when there are larger than life posters on his main premises, "Throb/Splash" declaring loudly that smoking is prohibited.

A case of one rule for one, or just sheer bad manners hiding behind the old one, do as I say, not as I do??

Maybe, the poster who listed all the bars in Boyztown that had enforced the no smoking ban could have a word with his friend.

I

March 1st, 2008, 06:51
Hi Kevin ... I found you a new avatar
. . http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj9/coatimundi_2008/1001.jpg