PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Silom Review

February 26th, 2006, 12:10
As the title suggests, I have done my own little review of a few (oh lord I dragged myself around so many places that I can't fit the review in here) bars, restaurants and guesthouses in the Silom Area of Bangkok - because that's where I am staying.

If you are interested in my personal opinion please feel free to look at the following blog and if you want to critique my critique, or indeed my spelling, please feel free to respond. Oh, and one more thing, I would not normally of course spend so much time in gogo bars, but I felt I had to try them all out just so I could give all you sweet people a balanced view ;)

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... g.php?w=27 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog.php?w=27)

Gaypattayan
February 26th, 2006, 14:31
Nice review of the Silom-Suriwong area scene, Fatman41! I "thought" I had posted a long reply commenting about your notes about the need to use physical force to get away from the doormen, etc., on Duanthawee Plaza -- unfortunately, your description was "right on" ! I hate using physical force to break away from people trying to force me to go somewhere, but the guys on the street still best known as "Soi Twilight" really have gone overboard. Unfortunate. Sorry my response on your blog was lost. I'll learn someday how to use all this technology!

G.P.

February 26th, 2006, 14:35
I just keep walking

hulljake
February 26th, 2006, 14:56
Excellent, well written review, full of useful insights. Thank you fatman!

February 26th, 2006, 19:13
What is the best way to book a room at the BBB Inn?

:drunken:

Smiles
February 26th, 2006, 19:23
Nice going Fatman ... what a lot of energy it takes to write such a long and involved series of reviews. Most appreciated!
Maybe the whole thing could be reproduced (by the Moderator or Admin) in the Resource Forum one of these days.
Hell . . . you even managed to squeeze a positive, not-sarcastic (for him!) kudo from Madame d'Homintern. A feat only rarely acomplished!

Thanks for the sharing

Cheers ...

Smiles
February 26th, 2006, 19:28
What is the best way to book a room at the BBB Inn? :drunken:

Try the "reservations" page at the: BBB Inn website (http://thaiboy.net/bed/default.asp?id=1305&client=wre2rgw8ooYIoFU38774%2E853125)

Cheers ...

adman5000
February 26th, 2006, 20:10
Thanks for the well written reviews that provided useful information. I hope to visit a few of the places that I have not visited on previous trips. For the places I have visited on my last trip a few months ago, my experiences generally mirrored your own. Thanks again.

February 26th, 2006, 20:18
This was the start of what must be the best Thai meal I have had for a long time I do love Cashew Nuts with chicken also Sweet and Sour Chicken so I ordered both

These dishes are Chinese, not Thai.

February 26th, 2006, 20:29
so many straight people wander down the Soi by the time they get to the BALCONY they suddenly realize its Gay Soi

Soi 4 is not a "gay soi". Of the couple of dozen venues in the soi, only 3 of them are gay.

TrongpaiExpat
February 26th, 2006, 21:12
and one place, which I cannot remember the name of, which is so laid back that it has thin mattresses and pillows alongside it's outside tables enabling you to really get in that relaxed mood.

That would be the "new" Roxy. Yes, it looks inviting but for some reason it does not do the business that the Balcony and Telephone does. Not sure why?

Great report.

Jetsam
February 26th, 2006, 22:41
Great reviews Fatman thanx , it must have been a hard job, just to keep us informed. well someone has to do it :cheers:

February 27th, 2006, 02:54
That would be the "new" Roxy. Yes, it looks inviting but for some reason it does not do the business that the Balcony and Telephone does. Not sure why?
The White Trash of Asia lolling on cushions outside has never been enough to attract me inside

Soi 4 is not a "gay soi". Of the couple of dozen venues in the soi, only 3 of them are gay.
Three seems a bit on the light side. I assume that's the unholy trinity of Telephone, Balcony & Sphinx. Then there's Poxy, that new "gay-friendly" pool place where Bobby's Arms used to be, next to that but one there's a new bar (at least I assume it's a bar) run by some gay Thai guys (I know they're gay, I've had half of them), and dare we mention that bar close by Telephone and Balcony where you can stock up on party drugs (or so I'm told) - what could be more gay-"friendly" than that!?

paulg
February 27th, 2006, 06:06
Several questions came to mind of favourite bars of some years ago.

The original Barbierys bar that later shifted to the same soi as Golden cock

Is Team Boy the bar in the old Barbiery location?

From your review there does not appear to be anything in the building near Golden Cock

where new Barbierys gogo and gym was. Barbierys was on the second floor from memory

In the same soi as Super A was an old favourite originally called Super Lex, then I think SlyperX.

Upstairs was a late night disco Have these bars closed ?

Thanks for the labour of love and the time taken, to produce such a valuable report.

February 27th, 2006, 06:43
But your blog was so good i thought it worthy of comment.

Great job Fatman. Even though that I am one not to go frequently to Soi Twilight (I'm more of a Bed Supperclub type guy when i have money, and a DJ Station type guy when i don't), I found it well written, accurate, and I thank you for the time you put into it.

February 27th, 2006, 07:37
Is Team Boy the bar in the old Barbiery location?
On Suriwong - yes

From your review there does not appear to be anything in the building near Golden Cock where new Barbierys gogo and gym was. Barbierys was on the second floor from memory
There's an entire complex there and thereabouts - http://www.xgroupbangkok.com/xxx.html

In the same soi as Super A was an old favourite originally called Super Lex, then I think SlyperX.
And now Unicorn Karaoke & Lounge

Upstairs was a late night disco. Have these bars closed ?
DreadedNed has a good summary of almost every bar in the area (and what they may have been called previously) - http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/qui ... e=0&Area=1 (http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/quickselect/1/?Type=0&Area=1)

lonelywombat
February 27th, 2006, 09:27
Further to your recommendation that Jupiters is worth visiting I agree. I was there earlier this year just after the cover up started, but even so it was a cut above other shows I had seen.

One of the sexiest acts involving no nudity, was by 3 boys only wearing bath towels, a flash of bare thighs, bare butttocks and a strip tease routine, all well done.

You mentioned sitting at floor level, I think there is an advantage sitting in the balcony. When all boys are on the stage
half go up the staircase to the balcony, and you get a closer look than on the crowded stage. I am also sure a that side on view of the bath towel routine might be revealing.

I was told that the best boys are offed before the show but have to stay for the cabaret before they can leave.

Cannot vouch for that. I know the boy I wanted was always in the show, but had been offed.He left before the second show.

February 27th, 2006, 13:58
Dear All,

Many thanks for your kind words and I am really pleased that you found the jottings useful or made you reminisce of times you had spent in the area. It really started just as an aide memoir (how do you spell that) so that I could remember where I had been and what I liked (the old memory isn't what it used to be) and then, like the boys of Thailand, it became an obsession.

Gaypattayan - this technology befuddles me too and in case you did not get my response to your private mail, the answer is yes, of course you can, just don't let me get sued.

Letmetellu - I really intended to go to The Balcony but time, tide, a growing waistline, sweating armpits, a small fortune spent on fixed price drinks and several hangovers resulted in me missing out. Thanks for your review though and when I have finished with my five days of abstinence, I shall return to Bangkok and make a beeline for the Balcony and that chicken with cashews.

Smiles - Glad you could answer all those queries cos the instant I finished the blog my mind went a complete blank. oh, and if we had karma points (that's what they were called wasn't it ... uhhh the lost brain cells), I would have given them to you by now. Unfortunately I have no money left to buy you a beer.

paulg - I did see SlyperX on the same soi as SuperA. Its a really dark, seedy looking little soi and as I approached SlyperX the two barman just stared at me, so I chickened out and kept on walking. There are somethings even I was afraid to do.

lonelywombat - I agree about Jupiter 2000 being worth a visit and I can see how many people would make this their favourite gogo/showbar. The second time I went (the first time I didn't see the show) I sat at the comfy side seating and had an aircon unit blowing right down the back of my neck, not everyone's idea of fun but I loved it. It was also the best position, I found, for the shower show, especially when one guy kept having to push his large thang back into his pouch every few seconds after it kept popping out. I must go again and try and catch the 'towel' show you enjoyed so much.

As always, my rants and raves were just personal opinions and I am sure some of the places I less favourably reviewed you may find fabulous. Please do not let me put you off visiting all the bars and restaurants.

Thanks once again to everyone for their kind words. 'You love me, your really love me ....' :geek:

Alan-old
February 28th, 2006, 16:05
Interesting reviews, Fatman.

Does anyone know if the "naughty" shows have resumed since the scandal at Tawan?

llz
February 28th, 2006, 18:06
From what I read on a thai board, SlyperX is now a boys bar for girls only.
The review is very complete but you do not mention the Alec Bar (downstairs from Super A) ; is it closed ?

February 28th, 2006, 21:28
It would be great if someone can share their experience of offing boys from various go-go bars or experience at massages places.

I can tell you from my personal experience, Jupitor boys may look handsome...but some of them are very evil minded. I have learned my lessons.

March 1st, 2006, 02:33
It would be great if someone can share their experience of offing boys from various go-go bars or experience at massages places. I can tell you from my personal experience, Jupitor boys may look handsome...but some of them are very evil minded. I have learned my lessons.
Having offed many boys from many places, all I can say is that it's impossible to generalise. You have to get down to specifics eg. "Don't off #69 from X%^BG Bar because he's a rip-off" and then it sometimes just may be a matter of chemistry. I've recommended certain boys to friends only to have comments varying from "useless" to "sensational" for the same boy in the same month. I've also heard the boy's side (occasionally) - the things you do learn about your friends, and what heartless bastards some of them are. They're pretty quick to sum up whether you're "good heart" or not (having lots of experience you understand), and while you may think Jesus wants you for a sunbeam, the boys may not share that view when it comes down to consenting adults in private. And if you off several boys from the same bar, your reputation will preceed you. I've sat with boys in bars and when someone they know has entered the word quickly spreads - "stingy", "not good heart" etc. - if he has acquired a bad reputation

Sen Yai
March 1st, 2006, 03:13
I can tell you from my personal experience, Jupitor boys may look handsome...but some of them are very evil minded. I have learned my lessons.
Care to tell us more, Scott?

March 2nd, 2006, 05:16
It would be great if someone can share their experience of offing boys from various go-go bars or experience at massages places. I can tell you from my personal experience, Jupitor boys may look handsome...but some of them are very evil minded. I have learned my lessons.
Having offed many boys from many places, all I can say is that it's impossible to generalise. You have to get down to specifics eg. "Don't off #69 from X%^BG Bar because he's a rip-off" and then it sometimes just may be a matter of chemistry. I've recommended certain boys to friends only to have comments varying from "useless" to "sensational" for the same boy in the same month. I've also heard the boy's side (occasionally) - the things you do learn about your friends, and what heartless bastards some of them are. They're pretty quick to sum up whether you're "good heart" or not (having lots of experience you understand), and while you may think Jesus wants you for a sunbeam, the boys may not share that view when it comes down to consenting adults in private. And if you off several boys from the same bar, your reputation will preceed you. I've sat with boys in bars and when someone they know has entered the word quickly spreads - "stingy", "not good heart" etc. - if he has acquired a bad reputation

I am not a very experienced go-go customer, but with the little experience that I have. I have decided that go-go boys are not for me. It is not easy for me to negotiate sex in terms of price. And I understand that, to make sure you get what you want, you have to be as specific as possible to the boys. Sometimes the boys do not perform as promised, and you are back to negotiation process during or after the performance.
Sometime, the boy do what both agreed, but still ask for more after you give him what you think is fair, this leaves you with the sense that you are only a cash drawer. If you don't give him extra, some boy still say you are cheap no matther what (even more nasty words), you feel your bussiness is not being appreciated. Unlike other kind of purchasing in LOS, where I always feel my bussiness is being appreciated and I always express my appreciation of their service/products.
Anyway, the whole thing is about money. And don't be surprised if you found yourself in constant bargaining process and mind-games when the boys are experienced and sophisticated enough.
Anyway....I have chosed not to deal with this whole go-go boys bussiness.

March 2nd, 2006, 14:04
It is sometimes very difficult to decide whether or not you will 'off'. Personally I do not off boys that often, I like going to gogo for the shows and, obviously, to look at the boys, but as for taking them home the occassions are few and far between. Please, you can all lower those raised eyebrows now!

However, I have noticed how difficult it is to get what you want or what you pay for, as you cannot go in the bar with a long list of questions for the boy to comlplete or he will think you are mad. It is strange (maybe not so as most of the bar boys I have encountered are straight) that I have found boys who will smoke but not kiss, boys who will kiss and take it up the ass but not smoke and other boys who think that you are paying them to lay there and be serviced by you. How do you pose these questions? If I like a boy the only reason I tend to turn him down is if he is not able to speak a little English (which is just one of my little foibles) and I drop him a 100 baht tip and move onto another bar. Oh another little foible is that he must be over 18 and have id.

I also wouldn't leave out doormen from the ones you are interested in taking home for the night. They can be more friendly (perhaps soi twilight is the exception), talk more English and have opted not to put themselves through the rigours of walking around in their underwear in air con coldness and one or two can be drop dead gorgeous. Mr Jiw at Blue Star in Bangkok is one such example, very nice and an expert massage thrown in to boot.

Also, host bars, you can chat and drink and have no pressure to off and then just leave a little tip if you are not interested.

As for payment, I know sometimes I over pay compaired to some (others may pay more, its not something oft discussed here), but you pay what you feel comfortable with. As far as I am aware the short time fee is anything up to 1000 baht and overnight 1500 baht. For short time I tend to pay anything between 1500 and 2000 baht depending on how chatty or relaxed or funny the guy is, what kind of time we had together and what we did. I have been know to pay 3000 baht for an overnight. I rarely if ever discuss the fee beforehand and I have only had one boy ask for more and when I laughed at his suggestion he did too.

For me the most rewarding boys are often not bar boys, but guys you have found through other avenues, people in coffee shops, waiters in restaurants etc. These can often develop into relationships that last longer than the one time and end with you keeping intouch.

March 2nd, 2006, 14:43
a man after my own heart. Maybe after I move there we can get together for a night of bar hopping. I share your opinion of most of the bars, and I too like the shows more than the chance of offing a boy. Cheers!

March 2nd, 2006, 17:36
I am sincerely hoping that my days of offing go-go boys are now over, so this is largley memory stuff.

I have not spent much time in Bangkok, but I did find the whole scene more pressurised than Pattaya. I have no experience of Phuket, and only a short trip to Chiang Mai.

The whole go-go experience was quite a revelation for me when I first went to Thailand, but at least my first trip was in the company of several friends who were 'old hands' at the game. Since I am a complete slapper, 99% bottom, who loves macho young Thai men, it was easy to find boys who would be happy to have me service them! While most of the boys were in a hurry to f**k me and leave, that always suited me perfectly, and left me time to get out and find the next off for the evening. I discouraged boys from spending the night. The range of experiences over the past seven years of holiday trips to Thailand, when I averaged three offs a night, has been fairly wide. I have met some lovely boys, mostly straight (although the definitions are blurred for most Thai boys as compared to the west). Until recently I studiously avoided getting emotionally involved, although I like to think that some of the boys I have met have become friends.

I have always found the whole negotiation process very difficult, and I have not improved my skills in that area over the years. The mamasans are largely useless, and will tell you what they think you want to hear, and encourage you to off the boys they personally favour, either because of back-handers or freebies from the boys concerned. It does not matter much which go-go place you visit, most have a mixture of looks and types of boys. Some of the shows are great, some really boring. A boy you offed before may not be the same the second or third time. Perhaps the kids kept him awake that day, or he drank too much whisky the night before, or he had an off that night already.

Sometimes I have found myself becoming seriously depressed by the whole thing, feeling more lonely and empty after the sex, and just as though I was the one being used here. Sometimes I have found a boy who has just been great company, good fun and a superb f**k. Most of the time I have just been like a kid in a sweet shop and overwhelmed by the opportunities. All those cold dark months in the UK, and suddenly just being in this wonderful heat, beautiful sunlight, this whole sensuous climate, and surrounded by handsome and sexy young men...........

Smiles
March 2nd, 2006, 20:36
Nicely put TrickyButterfly . . . you sound like a sensible and kindly man.
I think your new boyfriend (if that's what he, and you, feel you are) is probably a lucky guy.

Cheers ...

March 3rd, 2006, 00:02
Thanks Smiles! I really do consider him my boyfriend, and he uses the same words for me!!

In fact I call him my Fiancee, and hope to make an honest man of him later this year, and then call him my husband!!!!

Wish me/us luck??

March 3rd, 2006, 09:07
Care to tell us more, Scott?

After a quite lousy performance, the Jupitor guy asked for more money than was agreed. I refused. He said to me he would not have wasted his time on me if he had known I was so cheap.
It is hard for me to believe a Thai person (or even any other race) will say this to a customer.
Yes he is extremly handsome, but too bad that he has such an ugly personality, and I don't know how people like him can be a buddhist as he claimed to be.
During the sex, he was even trying to negotiate that he did not have to cum. And that he thinks anal sex is dirty (even if I let him be top).