February 26th, 2008, 11:38
DELETED

catawampuscat
February 26th, 2008, 14:52
Just in time for the end of high season.. :cat:

February 26th, 2008, 15:24
I think you will find stuarts is two guys guesthouse

February 26th, 2008, 19:31
.... that's when they get you - i.e. doing a good job, then someone doubles the lease rent after the three years. Whatever happened to long leases.

February 28th, 2008, 10:58
DELETED

lonelywombat
February 28th, 2008, 16:18

Yes it is, and I think you'll find this is Stuarts place for sale :faroah:

When Monty owned the B&B, in high season he sublet rooms from adjacent hotels,

which I think used to piss them off. It was obvious to me there were not enough rooms to make it profitable

If the B&B was to be sold, might I suggest the buyer looks at next door or somewhere closeby.

You need double the number of rooms. Monty at least had a breakfast and dinner trade, but one big freeloader

stripped him of any profit.

allieb
February 28th, 2008, 20:18
The best way to make money (keep what you've already got) is, don't invest in Pattaya Its so sad that so may queens think they can settle down in Pattaya, open a bar that will be better than the rest and make money or at least make enough pocket money to stay. The only people who make money are the landlords of the properties.

Its the old sad story that started years ago on the Spanish Costa's and has now moved on to Pattaya. Can anybody tell me of one expat who is making money in bars restaurants or hotels, or at least breaking even in Pattaya? Most loose their shirt and their following of young pretty boys when the cash dries up.

thaiworthy-old
February 28th, 2008, 20:42
Can anybody tell me of one expat who is making money in bars restaurants or hotels, or at least breaking even in Pattaya?

K. Quill?

February 28th, 2008, 20:47
Can anybody tell me of one expat who is making money in bars restaurants or hotels, or at least breaking even in Pattaya? Most loose their shirt and their following of young pretty boys when the cash dries up.

Jim Lumsden?? :idea:

allieb
February 28th, 2008, 22:44
Point taken perhaps the odd one or two but my belief is that the masses loose. I guess re- Kevin who I've heard is quite a successful business man in various fields and various places. I would be interested to know if he really does make money in Pattaya or does his other businesses subsidize Pattaya.

Marsilius
February 29th, 2008, 01:15
I don't think Mr Botting fits into the originally specified category of an "expat who is making money in bars restaurants or hotels, or at least breaking even".

Or has he diversified into the greasy spoon market?

catawampuscat
February 29th, 2008, 08:41
The way to make money is to buy a broken down place and fix it up and wait for the next foolish farang who wants
to buy a business for his boy and doesn't understand how absurd the concept is.

The love sick farang will pay over the market price and watch his investment fade away as the boyfriend has zero
managerial skills, zero interest in working the long tedious hours businesses require, or hires his lady-boy friends to
be cashier..etc.
This same farang is the one to buy your new business from for your new boy and the cycle continues..

There are exceptions to this example and perhaps most noteworthy are the "old" Memories gang in Sunee Plaza.. The
reason that worked was Oud, who is and was a natural for a beer bar, whether or not he is your cup of tea..
The new owner of the same bar didn't have the same good fortune with his boy and now you can buy the place for
about half of what the new owner paid unless it has already been sold..

Nobody works harder than farangs who think it is a good idea to buy a bar or restaurant for their boy and nobody regrets
it as much either down the road..

Another good example of a sucessful business is Little Mango restaurant at Soi VC/ Soi Yensaibai.. The Thai guy again has the right
personality and attitude about working and growing a business..
:cat:

February 29th, 2008, 08:53
Doesn't anybody in that town do a Business Plan before they start a venture?

Why don't they just close down in Low Season like lots of other seasonal resort businesses?

Why don't they buy businesses at the end of Low Season and open them just in time for High Season?

Why ask Why?

:dontknow: :scratch: :dontknow:

February 29th, 2008, 11:15
DELETED

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 29th, 2008, 11:32
just as you can make it in London or New York. And just as you can lose a fortune in all these places. Opening a business isn't an automatic assurance to success. Pattaya has an amazing turn-over of tourists who visit for 'short-time'..and spend money..a clever person can always make a bundle and a fool will lose a bundle.

Enough of this stupid gloom and doom. If people believed this talk nothing would ever get built, no business would open, nothing would ever happen.

lonelywombat
February 29th, 2008, 15:40
[quote=graypat]I think you will find stuarts is two guys guesthouse

which I think used to piss them off. It was obvious to me there were not enough rooms to make it profitable

If the B&B was to be sold, might I suggest the buyer looks at next door or somewhere closeby.

You need double the number of rooms. Monty at least had a breakfast and dinner trade, but one big freeloader

Interestingly Monty informed me he was making over a million a year in profit from the B&B when he owned it. But you indicate he made no profit?[/quote:giehm0jb]

Why did he sell then?

February 29th, 2008, 15:46
Why did he sell then?You mean you believe the only reason an owner sells a business is because it is not profitable? There are many reasons to sell a business including
personal goals
foreseeing a downturn and selling to a sucker
finding a sucker who'll pay over the odds for a business
finding an alternative (and possibly more profitable) use for the capital tied up in the business

After all, the owners of one very profitable Silom Soi 4 bar sold out to an eager sucker who was prepared to pay the exorbitant price they asked; he then managed to halve the turnover within the next 6 months through his own ineptitude (screwing his way through the waiters didn't help, either)

lonelywombat
February 29th, 2008, 16:17
Why did he sell then?You mean you believe the only reason an owner sells a business is because it is not profitable? There are many reasons to sell a business including
personal goals
foreseeing a downturn and selling to a sucker
finding a sucker who'll pay over the odds for a business
finding an alternative (and possibly more profitable) use for the capital tied up in the business

After all, the owners of one very profitable Silom Soi 4 bar sold out to an eager sucker who was prepared to pay the exorbitant price they asked; he then managed to halve the turnover within the next 6 months through his own ineptitude (screwing his way through the waiters didn't help, either)

DID YOU LOSE ALL YOUR MONEY??????

March 1st, 2008, 08:11
Enough of this stupid gloom and doom. If people believed this talk nothing would ever get built, no business would open, nothing would ever happen.

One of your best thoughts. Are you sober tonight?

Bless the Entrepreneures. Whether they succeed or fail they do make the world go round....sometimes.

March 1st, 2008, 09:33
DELETED

Lunchtime O'Booze
March 5th, 2008, 07:23
in it's previous incarnation to meet a certain poster on here who is aclaimed/notorious in Pattaya and personally I wouldn't have touched the food with a barge pole.

I also remember the gossip that swept Pattaya (not) and these boards about the same poster and a dispute about a room bill which I deemed rather not the way to do business and was more an indication of a dying establishment if the owner was so desperate that he had to keep harping about some small sum whether owed or not.

I hope the couple who purchase it are very happy.

March 5th, 2008, 08:52
I have stayed there the past 4 nights and i can report that its fully booked and doing very nicely from passing drink trade and regulars.

March 22nd, 2008, 15:55

Originally TwoGuys (6 units) and the Kingfisher (12 units) were under the same ownership. It was called the Somara and then the Chokita.

Seems to me it's smart move to operate a 6 unit guesthouse but have access to extra rooms next door.

March 22nd, 2008, 18:29
DELETED

March 23rd, 2008, 00:32
Did they add rooms on the ground floor? Or remodel?

I've stayed at the Somara and the Chokita and Kingfisher and each third of building had three floors of rooms for rent with one big room and one small room per floor. So I figured 3 X 3 X 2 = 18.

March 24th, 2008, 00:25
Why don't they just close down in Low Season like lots of other seasonal resort businesses?

Actually, a fair proportion of Thai owned restaurants in Jomtien whose menus cater for particular nationalities do just that, closing at the end of this month until around September.