PDA

View Full Version : arriving at bkk airport

February 26th, 2008, 03:23
Having been informed of the long waits when arriving, can any one let me know what its like if one arrives at 1900 (7pm)

sjaak327
February 26th, 2008, 05:03
That could indeed mean a long wait at immigration, I have arrived around that time from Singapore and KL last time, and it took roughly 25 minutes to clear immigration, better then my last arrival from Europe, I arrived at noon and had to wait 45 minutes.

Bob
February 26th, 2008, 08:04
Probably luck of the draw (depending on how many international flights have just landed). The longest I've had to wait in 16-18 trips is about 20 minutes whereas I'd guess the average for me at Suvarnabhumi has been 5 to 10. But I typically come in on one of the EVA flights from 11AM to noon.

TrongpaiExpat
February 26th, 2008, 12:44
Yes, at first it was clear sailing through Immigrations. About 5 or 6 months ago there was a change, half of the Immigrations area closed and fewer lanes open. Now, it's at least an hour to get out unless your very lucky.

Then they keep playing musical doors and moving the taxi desks on the second floor. Now you can't get out the last door (11 or 12), it's for VIP's only.

Yesterday in the Post there was a story about increasing the taxi surcharge to 75B

February 26th, 2008, 15:43
Be sure to budget time when leaving SVP as well. My last trip out around 7:00 am checkin TG took over an hour with very long queues.

danny99
February 26th, 2008, 16:11
Having been informed of the long waits when arriving, can any one let me know what its like if one arrives at 1900 (7pm)

Wheras Don Muang had one big long immigration area the new airport with its modern ridiculous design has a number of small isolated sections. 2 or more large plane arrivals in the same area and it is catastrophic. Then the great long baggage area can take you almost as long to walk down to your lane and then wait for 30 minutes plus, before any baggage begins to arrive. After all that, one hour later, it is all easy!

bao-bao
March 1st, 2008, 21:22
To add my two satang to this: both of my last two arrivals into the "new" airport have been in the wee small hours of the morning.

The first was at almost 02:00 and there were only five of (my guesstimate) 30 arrival station desks that were open and staffed. There were long lines for each of them, and it looked like several large aircraft had all unloaded their weary hordes at the same time. It took me over an hour to for the line I was in through the mess of tired, wrinkled and cranky travelers. I could see my bags going around and around on the carousel off to the right until it finally stopped and two agents set the last few items off onto the ground.

This last time was about 01:30 and there were 10 windows open for the single plane load of passengers.

I agree about leaving plenty of time to get through the crowd just inside the "passengers only" doors, get your passport stamped and head out to the gate when departing; it can be one solid mass of inhumane humanity. People are far less likely to be of the "mai pen rai" mentality when they're headed home. It took nearly an hour for me to reach the counter and then there was the two day ride out to gate G5 near the end of a long line of gates.

As yet another reminder of Murphy's Law: the shortest line never is.

I suppose it's best to expect the unexpected unless you enjoy having a generous serving of anxiety to cap off your visit.

krobbie
March 2nd, 2008, 04:48
... I left LOS after a 5 week stay. As usual I left plenty of time for putting bags through and getting seat / boarding pass. Then I just walked about smoked Cigarettes not bf) and held tightly to my lover (no kissing though). An hour before the flight I decided it was time to go through the Passengers Only gate to passport control.

Foreigners fared not much better than the Thai only queues. I could not believe that this takes so long. I feel there should be one main queue for foreigners and the "next please" concept makes people less irritable especially when, like the officer I had, seemed twice as slow as any other.

However, I am usually quite dazed to be leaving anyway and lover still can be seen through the smokey glass partition between passengers and the "farewellers".

Of course the big kissing goodbye has to be done in the handicapped cubicle of the dunny lest we be thrown into the monkey house for lewd behaviour. Very romantic ... NOT!

Mostly what I feel when I leave is sad.

Soo boo!
krobbie

dab69
March 2nd, 2008, 05:21
what are the other options, not arriving?

thaiworthy-old
March 2nd, 2008, 22:52
DELETED.

painai2
March 2nd, 2008, 23:41
Getting through customs, no problem at that hour. Waiting for your luggage is another story.