PDA

View Full Version : Lumpini Park swimming pool . Part 2

February 24th, 2008, 14:17
On paying my first visit in 6 weeks to the Lumpini Park swimming pool yesterday afternoon after returning from holiday I was amused to notice that the dicrete A5 hand written notice advising foreigners that they need to produce, a passport, two photos and a medical certificate that had some screaming queens in hysterical protests on this board a few months ago has now been replaced with a multi-coloured A4 notice in bold typeface with 'FOR FOREIGNERS' highlighted in bright yellow. :bounce:

Hmmm
February 24th, 2008, 15:25
Thanks for that info. I've looked longingly at that pool on a few occasions (in fact there are two pools there), but it's always been too much bother.

Previously I think there was also a very small yearly fee to be paid. Did you ask them if this was still in place, and in fact is it possible that they might still want all the other stuff when someone actually asks ?

While I'm here, does anyone know of an accessible pool in Yannawa ?

lonelywombat
February 24th, 2008, 15:49
On paying my first visit in 6 weeks to the Lumpini Park swimming pool yesterday afternoon after returning from holiday I was amused to notice that the dicrete A5 hand written notice advising foreigners that they need to produce, a passport, two photos and a medical certificate that had some screaming queens in hysterical protests on this board a few months ago has now been replaced with a multi-coloured A4 notice in bold typeface with 'FOR FOREIGNERS' highlighted in bright yellow. :bounce:

Hope the A4 notice can be reproduced here

here is a link to the earlier thread

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 13645.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/lumphini-park-t13645.html)

Hmmm
February 24th, 2008, 16:58
The pools at Lumpini ...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bangkok&t ... 02446&z=18 (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=bangkok&t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=13.729093,100.539413&spn=0.001219,0.002446&z=18)

BTW, the pool at National Stadium had re-opened last time I went past. I don't know what the entrance details are there though.

February 24th, 2008, 19:40
Thanks for that info. I've looked longingly at that pool on a few occasions (in fact there are two pools there), but it's always been too much bother.

Previously I think there was also a very small yearly fee to be paid. Did you ask them if this was still in place, and in fact is it possible that they might still want all the other stuff when someone actually asks ?

There is an annual membership fee payable of 40 baht a year plus an admission fee for each swim. the price the annual membership is included on the notice.

As the notice now in place has only been put up during the last six weeks I assume that the ID items plus the medical letter are still a requirement. We often swim there during the lunch hour when it is more often than not a very quiet pool. there are a few clubs of Chinese senior citizens that use the pool some mornings at which time the use of the pool is restricted to those clubs.

Hmmm
February 24th, 2008, 19:55
As the notice now in place has only been put up during the last six weeks I assume that the ID items plus the medical letter are still a requirement.

I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were implying that since the sign now appears to be welcoming foreigners, that the previous onerous entrance requirements had now been waived.

February 25th, 2008, 13:31
As the notice now in place has only been put up during the last six weeks I assume that the ID items plus the medical letter are still a requirement.

I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were implying that since the sign now appears to be welcoming foreigners, that the previous onerous entrance requirements had now been waived.

Sorry that was my fault for wording the post badly.

In fact the requirements are no more onerous than for Thais who have to produce an ID card or in the case of a child under 15 the parents have to apply, two photos one for the membership card and one for the pools file and a note from a doctor declaring no contagious diseases

February 25th, 2008, 23:02
In fact the requirements are no more onerous than for Thais who have to produce an ID card or in the case of a child under 15 the parents have to apply, two photos one for the membership card and one for the pools file and a note from a doctor declaring no contagious diseases

Now that this has been clarified it puts a totally different perspective on the notice, since the requirements are the same for anyone applying for membership to use the pool. Had this been made clear in this and the previous thread there would probably have been no "hysterical protests" from "screaming queens", or anyone else.

bkkguy
February 25th, 2008, 23:25
since the requirements are the same for anyone applying for membership to use the pool

since when was an "ID card" and "two photos ... and a note from a doctor declaring no contagious diseases" "the same" for a "screaming queen" or anyone else?

bkkguy

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 26th, 2008, 17:52
As a screaming queen I've found this pool quite good for Ruskie watching in the past. I have at times become quite hysterical but not about the yearly membership or a health certificate although smelling salts have been required.

February 26th, 2008, 23:15
since when was an "ID card" and "two photos ... and a note from a doctor declaring no contagious diseases" "the same" for a "screaming queen" or anyone else?

bkkguy,

maybe I am slow, but I cannot follow your question.

naughy but nice wrote: ".... notice advising foreigners that they need to produce a passport, two photos and a medical certificate that had some screaming queens in protests on this board a few months ago ...."

and subsequently wrote:" ....the reqirements are no more onerous than for Thais who have to produce an ID card, .... two photos .... and a note from a doctor declaring no contagious diseases"

In my view, as I wrote, these requirements (Farang: passport, 2 photos, doctor's letter; Thai: ID card, 2 photos, doctor's letter) appear to be virtually "the same for anyone". To differentiate between an ID card and a passport is more than a little pedantic.