PDA

View Full Version : Rose Hotel Bangkok

February 23rd, 2008, 09:01
I have been trying to book thru this hotels website but after numerous emails have received no reply. I have previously booked online thru an agent - anyone got any suggestions -tried asiarooms but no go.

krobbie
February 23rd, 2008, 11:02
I have stayed at the Rose on 2 ocassions in the last 6 weeks. The first time I booked online and the second I just rang to say I was on my way.

I have to admit they can be a bit slow on the emails. It also was a holiday 2 days ago for Buddha but keep trying. Send them more emails and they will eventually reply.

The new pool is wonderful. The location is fantastic. There is a 7/11 convenience store at the end of the soi also.

The rooms are quite small but one isn't in them that long. The breakfasts are basic but free, so can't bitch too much.

I had a great time while I was there.

Cheers
krobbie

a447
February 23rd, 2008, 13:12
I emailed the Rose asking about an off fee. They said I would have to pay 600 baht! So I might book at the Plaza.
Krobbie, did you have to pay the fee?

Can anyone recommend hotel near Patpong that does not sharge an off fee?

krobbie
February 23rd, 2008, 14:08
I stayed at the Rose and booked a double room. 3 days after my arrival I invited a guy I was seeing to stay with me. There was never a mention of fees and the Hotel does not charge for them.

It was said by someone on here that you could take an elephant to your room at the Rose and all that would be said would be, be careful in the elevator.

NO OFF FEES. I don't know who gave this information but they DO NOT charge and breakfast is thrown in also.

Note: Book a Superior Double.

http://www.rosehotelbkk.com/

Hope this helps.

Sen Yai
February 23rd, 2008, 14:19
I emailed the Rose asking about an off fee. They said I would have to pay 600 baht!

Maybe you asked the wrong question. An off-fee is a sum of money paid to the venue in order to take one of their staff off the premises whilst he is 'working'. Perhaps they thought you wanted to take one of their bell-boys, or other staff, to your room.

A joiners-fee, on the other hand, is a fee paid to a hotel to allow you to bring a guest from outside the hotel to join you in your room. It's often been reported here that the Rose does not charge a joiners-fee.

February 23rd, 2008, 15:41
I emailed the Rose asking about an off fee. They said I would have to pay 600 baht!

Maybe you asked the wrong question. An off-fee is a sum of money paid to the venue in order take one of their staff off the premises whilst he is 'working'. Perhaps they thought you wanted to take one of the their bell-boys or other staff to your room.

A joiners-fee, on the other hand, is a fee paid to a hotel to allow you to bring a guest from outside the hotel to join you in your room. It's often been reported here that the Rose does not charge a joiners-fee.

Sitting here after a great party in my homecountry, with big big hangovers, they are gone now after big laughs :cheers:

a447
February 23rd, 2008, 15:59
Hi,
Sorry, I actually asked about a joiners fee, not an off fee, when I emailed the hotel. Here is part of their reply email:

Thank you very much for your reservation request at Rose Hotel.
We are delighted to offer 1 Standard,single for this period required,which will cost 1,750 baht/room/night include breakfast & tax. & service charge.(non smoking room on request)

-Please note that joiner surcharge 500 baht/day.

But then again, a joiners fee of 600 baht was also posted in the room I stayed at in the Plaza Hotel last year, but I was not charged.
What's going on?? I'd hate to see the bill after "busy" a week in BKK if they added the joiners fee on the day I checked out!

Also, in the case of a joiners fee being charged (by any hotel), what about if your friend only comes back for a short time and does not stay the night?? Is there some kind of "short-time" fee?

The hotel is in a fantastic location, but is it noisy? And do they hold the friend's ID card at the front desk? To be honest, it doesn't look sleazy enough to bring a "friend" back to; it seems quite classy. Is it a gay operated hotel? Do the staff just turn a blind eye?
Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be sure before I book.

February 23rd, 2008, 16:29
Can anyone recommend hotel near Patpong that does not charge an off fee (joiners fee)?Tarntawan Place Hotel http://www.tarntawan.com/

Highly recommended and you always get a prompt reply to emails. Definitely NO joiners fee.

danny99
February 23rd, 2008, 16:42
I have stayed at the Rose on 2 ocassions in the last 6 weeks. The first time I booked online and the second I just rang to say I was on my way.

I have to admit they can be a bit slow on the emails. It also was a holiday 2 days ago for Buddha but keep trying. Send them more emails and they will eventually reply.

The new pool is wonderful. The location is fantastic. There is a 7/11 convenience store at the end of the soi also.

The rooms are quite small but one isn't in them that long. The breakfasts are basic but free, so can't bitch too much.

I had a great time while I was there.

Cheers
krobbie

Have stayed there many times and never been charged any extras. Whilst I agree the new pool is great, the sauna in the mens change rooms can also be very interesting particularly if you fancy any of the visiting Japanese boys there looking for girls at night, but still naturally horny during the day. They are so polite they only struggle for the first few seconds until they realise how good it is.

In fact you would not even have to be staying at The Rose as the entrance to the pool area is from the adjoining car park [also for their great Thai restaurant], never any staff there just help yourself to a towel from the desk.

krobbie
February 23rd, 2008, 16:55
Hi,
Sorry, I actually asked about a joiners fee, not an off fee, when I emailed the hotel. Here is part of their reply email:

Thank you very much for your reservation request at Rose Hotel.
We are delighted to offer 1 Standard,single for this period required,which will cost 1,750 baht/room/night include breakfast & tax. & service charge.(non smoking room on request)

-Please note that joiner surcharge 500 baht/day.

But then again, a joiners fee of 600 baht was also posted in the room I stayed at in the Plaza Hotel last year, but I was not charged.
What's going on?? I'd hate to see the bill after "busy" a week in BKK if they added the joiners fee on the day I checked out!

Also, in the case of a joiners fee being charged (by any hotel), what about if your friend only comes back for a short time and does not stay the night?? Is there some kind of "short-time" fee?

The hotel is in a fantastic location, but is it noisy? And do they hold the friend's ID card at the front desk? To be honest, it doesn't look sleazy enough to bring a "friend" back to; it seems quite classy. Is it a gay operated hotel? Do the staff just turn a blind eye?
Sorry about all the questions, but I want to be sure before I book.

Single rooms may incur a joiners fee. I always book a double whereby you are already paying for double occupancy and therefore NO JOINERS FEE at The Rose. This is not always the case. Some hotels certainly charge a joiners fee and it doesn't matter if they stay 5 minutes or all night ... the joiners fee still applies in total, if a fee is their policy.

Since there is only aabout 200 baht between a single and a double ... just do it. Tarntawan (as has been said) does not charge joiners but their room rates are a little more expensive ... I believe.

I might clarify a point about the Rose. It isn't as posh as the new web site would have you believe. It is only a 3 star as are most at this price.

As I said before ... I stayed at The Rose twice in the last 6 weeks. No joiners and no trouble. Just great and happy staff. The woman on the concierge/travel desk is also very helpful if you need to book other travel or to get information.

The room lady (cleaner/laundry organiser etc) for my floor was great. Always helpful and happy to oblige. As is the case anywhere ... nothing is free. I find a generous tip to the essential staff at the beginning ensures good service for your entire stay. Just my opinion. Up to you.

February 23rd, 2008, 17:27
I stayed in a double room in November 2007.
They confirmed by e-mail in advance that there is NO joiners fee & I did not pay one.

Charging a joiners fee for a double room is very unreasonable & it is in our interests to make a stand against this.
PLEASE e-mail them back & say you would like to stay with them, but will only stay in hotels with no joiners fee.

The location is very good & the rooms are clean. On the downside they only have single glazing, so when someone was plaing music outside until 3:00 am, I could hear it (even on the 5th floor).

TrongpaiExpat
February 23rd, 2008, 17:44
The location is very good & the rooms are clean. On the downside they only have single glazing, so when someone was plaing music outside until 3:00 am, I could hear it (even on the 5th floor).

The only double glazing sealed floor to ceiling windows I know of are at the Poseidon in Jomtiem. Good energy efficiency as well but you seldom see them. Like insulation, I don't even know if you can buy it in Thailand.

I used to live on the 27th floor in Bangkok and still heard music and traffic noise. Sometimes the music was quite loud and it took me months to figure out where it was coming from. I finally discovered it was from this hole-in-the-wall karaoke joint on a side street. Music must travel up bouncing off the buildings.

February 24th, 2008, 08:37
I originally asked about the difficulty of booking at Rose Hotel - thanks for the comments about joiners fees and off fees - by the way, I have never ever paid either joiners or off fees (although I must admit I samoked the chef there a coupla years ago and a coupla room boys and a coupla . .. you get the picture - I have been staying there for 30 years - scary eh?) but my problem was booking thru their website... samsame for friend of mine from US who is meeting me - last time I booked was thru an agent - so anyone got any ideas?

Re the comment about 3* and 4* - even though the Rose has come a long way over the years I would not rate it as 4* - definitely 3* though - they do their best but don't quite get over the hump so to speak. But the staff are friendly and as for location +++ - for 1800 baht/night I would not complain - there is tour agent in foyer who is very helpful.

One of the posters suggested Tarntawan - but mate for 2800 - 3000 baht u cant compare - also Tarntawan does not have pool or sauna (which is not a bad pickup place - as reported)

Oh by the way - I have never been asked for id for my friend when returning to hotel - maybe a good or bad...

Cant for the life of me would when making a booking ask hotel if they have joiners fee -9/10 of course they would say yes - I think there must be enough postings on this board to find out which hotels are ok or not regarding this

I suppose if u r staying in an upmarket/stright place then they would charge u - because they assume that u can afford it ......

PeterUK
February 24th, 2008, 10:35
Does anyone have the phone number for the Rose Hotel? The number given on their website, like a friend of mine after an accident with a meat cleaver, seems to be missing a digit.

February 24th, 2008, 12:34
Jesus H F*** Chr****

How many posts does it take to get a simple f***g answwer?

February 24th, 2008, 13:15
I suppose if u r staying in an upmarket/stright place then they would charge u

This is the exact opposite of my experience. I always book a guest, often as A.N. Other. The only place that was awkward about that was the Montien, snooty to the point of rudeness. Most upmarket places are quite discreet, if you and your guest are discreet. [/quote]

sydneyboy
February 24th, 2008, 13:47
Can anyone tell me the name of the new hotel being built in front of the Rose?

Sen Yai
February 24th, 2008, 14:44
Can anyone tell me the name of the new hotel being built in front of the Rose?

Le M├йridien - Opening June 1, 2008

www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1946 (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1946)

sydneyboy
February 24th, 2008, 15:41
Thank you, much appreciated.

lonelywombat
February 24th, 2008, 15:53
I suppose if u r staying in an upmarket/stright place then they would charge u

This is the exact opposite of my experience. I always book a guest, often as A.N. Other. The only place that was awkward about that was the Montien, snooty to the point of rudeness. Most upmarket places are quite discreet, if you and your guest are discreet. [/quote]

I have had two extremely embarrassing experiences at Montien
First time with a non sexual Thai visitor

Position is not everything

Sen Yai
February 24th, 2008, 17:56
Does anyone have the phone number for the Rose Hotel? The number given on their website, like a friend of mine after an accident with a meat cleaver, seems to be missing a digit.

PeterUK, my guess was that the missing digit is simply the area code for Bangkok = 2

I've checked it out and it seems to work. So the number is +66 (0)2 266 8268~72