PDA

View Full Version : What were they looking for?

anakot
February 23rd, 2008, 07:41
Arrived at Suvarnaphumi last night after a rather long and
tiring day on a flight from home in Hong Kong. The flight was delayed landing becase there were 16 planes
ahead of us and of course when we finally got in all of those passengeres
were waiting in immigration. It took about an hour to get thru. Just like school with people changing queues to be with mates, keeping spaces for each other and just plain old pushing in. When I am finally emerging into LOS I try to ignore all the taxi touts
that try to divert you as I work my way towards the public taxi rank.

Any way there was this very annoying one who would not go away and
followed my out and eventually stood in front of me. About to do a big exagerrated divert around him when I realised he was a
policeman. I was then surrounded by 3 of them in full battle dress regalia at the exit nearest the public taxi rank. Dozens of on lookers and its about 7pm. Questions followed in quick succession. Whats in the bag? why did I not stop when they asked me etc. they kept squeezing my bags and asking me what was in. Well I fumbled for the lock while talking and they were meanwhile fondling the bags contents while I reassured them there was just clothing within. A few seconds and one of them says 'mi me'. So what ever it was I didn't have it and they didn't even wait for me to open bag. They were
very nice after that wished me a happy holiday!!

What were they looking for?

February 23rd, 2008, 07:51
What were they looking for?It's just occupational therapy, indulged by law enforcers the world over - it helps make them feel important (just make sure you never tell them you know their little secret)

February 23rd, 2008, 19:33
Thanks for that Anakot. I must be honest and naive, and say l thought when l got through customs that was it. I am always met by my taxi driver, and he takes my trolley.
I remember being stopped in shit hole (Schiphol Amsterdam), as we were getting off the plane, they set up a temporary customs desk, and got people emptying their bags as they disembarked. No private area, not very nice.
I shall be on my guard. mind you all they will get out of me is Cheese ,Sausages, and pork pies.

allieb
February 23rd, 2008, 19:52
What were they looking for?

1 Playstation
2 Comics
3 Candy
4 Boy scouts uniform

TrongpaiExpat
February 23rd, 2008, 20:58
There's no way of knowing what if anything prompted this search. It's could be any number of things including the renewal of the New War on Drugs that the New (strange) Interior Minister is going on about.

I have not read the new (newer and improved) final Constitution and I wonder what it says about no warrant searches? No Matter, I bet the police have not read it either.

If they opened up both sides of Immigrations there would be no long lines and waits.

A few months ago I was in the immigrations hall and this middle aged Asian guy did a side entry to the front of a long line. The immigrations officer saw him and jumped out of his seat and took the man by the arm to the back of the line.

February 23rd, 2008, 22:37
A few months ago I was in the immigrations hall and this middle aged Asian guy did a side entry to the front of a long line. The immigrations officer saw him and jumped out of his seat and took the man by the arm to the back of the line.

Good for him. I hope he got a round of applause.

February 23rd, 2008, 22:57
I have not read the new (newer and improved) final Constitution and I wonder what it says about no warrant searches?

Nothing at all - this is a matter of law, not Constitution. "Stop and search" only requires "reasonable cause" as in most countries - as Anakot had failed to stop for the police when asked in / leaving an airport arrivals hall this would have been reasonable cause anywhere in the world.

TrongpaiExpat
February 23rd, 2008, 23:41
I have not read the new (newer and improved) final Constitution and I wonder what it says about no warrant searches?

Nothing at all - this is a matter of law, not Constitution. "Stop and search" only requires "reasonable cause" as in most countries - as Anakot had failed to stop for the police when asked in / leaving an airport arrivals hall this would have been reasonable cause anywhere in the world.

I don't see where Anakot said anything about failing or refusing to stop? It was also out side, after immigrations, after being admitted to the country.

Search and Seizure is the 4th Add'm to the US Constitution but this is not a discussion of US, UK or any other countries laws--I don't want to go there. The old Thai Constitution did address the issues of searches with and without a warrant.

Gonefishing, or anyone, have you read the new Thai Constitution? I would love to find a copy in English, do you have a copy or link to one?

555, no one applauded. The immigrations officer was so angry that everyone kept quiet. There were a few smiles though.

This is part of the 97 Thai Constitution:
www.privacyinternational.org/survey/phr2003/countries/thailand.htm (http://www.privacyinternational.org/survey/phr2003/countries/thailand.htm)
"Under the 1997 Constitution the police are required to obtain a warrant before conducting a search. In practice however, the procedures for obtaining warrants under the Criminal Procedure Code are said to be outdated and warrantless, and overly intrusive searches are not uncommon"

February 24th, 2008, 00:29
Arrived at Suvarnaphumi last night .... When I am finally emerging into LOS I try to ignore all the taxi touts
that try to divert you as I work my way towards the public taxi rank. ...Any way there was this very annoying one who would not go away and
followed my out and eventually stood in front of me. About to do a big exagerrated divert around him when I realised he was a
policeman.

While his failure to stop was not deliberate, it sounds very much that it would have appeared to be so from the policeman's point of view and would have been termed exactly that in most countries (such as the US and the UK, since you mention them) irrespective of whether he fully understood what was being said to him or not. Similarly, that he was "after immigrations" is irrelevant as far as the right to stop someone under similar circumstances in or in the immediate vicinity of the airport is concerned - it is also irrelevant here, since the policeman apparently initially did try to stop him inside the airport building (" ... and followed my out ...").

As far as I am aware the new Constitution has not been published or translated into English, though I have not checked this. A copy in Thai was sent to our house for my Thai partner to read prior to his voting on its acceptance in the referendum on the constitution (I mentioned this on this forum at the time). The size of a paperback, although it was approved in the referendum this does not necessarily mean that most Thais either read it, approved of it, or considered it an improvement: it was stated very clearly by the then government that if it was not approved that this would mean an indefinite delay before either another constitution would be written or elections held, so its approval was hardly an unambiguous vote of support.

February 24th, 2008, 02:27
I have been told that the things most likely to be looked for these days at BKK airport are cigarettes. Customs are on the look out for large quantities of western brand ciggies carried through in luggage, probably bought at Duty Free at your departure airport.

ceejay
February 24th, 2008, 03:54
I have been told that the things most likely to be looked for these days at BKK airport are cigarettes. Customs are on the look out for large quantities of western brand ciggies carried through in luggage, probably bought at Duty Free at your departure airport.

What on earth for? There's nowhere left to smoke them

anakot
February 24th, 2008, 07:47
Thanks for the replies and chuckles. Probably the failure to stop was the instigating factor. Next time I'll wear knee pads under my jeans and sink to me knees, pull them in close and play 'commando suck', my favourite game.

February 24th, 2008, 08:30
Its possible after a long flight and waiting for your luggage you were just tired and didn't notice the customs guys signalling you to stop and run your bag thru the machine. You were just groggy and looking for a taxi and they thought you were trying to hide something.

This last trip I was "scanned" for the first time in all my travels. As I left the luggage area the x-ray guys started waving at me. I had a long flight too and didn't get it at first and waved back!

They waved more frantically and I finally "got it" - they wanted to scan my luggage.

I had a bottle of booze (500 ml Jim Beam for Pa) some chocloate (for Ma) some perfume (for boyfriend) and a bunch of clothes. They waved me on and one guard asked "Do you have any food"? I said "Only some chocolate".

(is Booze food?---BE QUIET Lunchtimeo'booze!)

The guard smiled at me and nodded, I smiled at him and nodded. All very pleasant.

Attitude doesn't go very far in Thailand.

anakot
February 24th, 2008, 09:20
Hong Kong to BKK is not a long trip only about 2 and a half hours.

This all occurred outside of customs.

All extremely polite and no attitude on my part but am still mystified as to what they were looking for.

There is a jewellery fair on at the moment so may be this is a clue

Hmmm
February 24th, 2008, 15:31
As far as I am aware the new Constitution has not been published or translated into English, though I have not checked this. A copy in Thai was sent to our house for my Thai partner to read prior to his voting on its acceptance in the referendum on the constitution (I mentioned this on this forum at the time). The size of a paperback, although it was approved in the referendum this does not necessarily mean that most Thais either read it, approved of it, or considered it an improvement: it was stated very clearly by the then government that if it was not approved that this would mean an indefinite delay before either another constitution would be written or elections held, so its approval was hardly an unambiguous vote of support.

Latest Thai constitution in English on Thai parliament site linked from here:
http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/gazette/2007 ... dom-of.php (http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/gazette/2007/08/thailand-2007-constitution-kingdom-of.php)

It is titled 'draft', but the site says this is the version passed by HMK after the 2007 referendum.

February 25th, 2008, 02:35
Latest Thai constitution in English on Thai parliament site linked from here:
http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/gazette/2007 ... dom-of.php (http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/gazette/2007/08/thailand-2007-constitution-kingdom-of.php)

It is titled 'draft', but the site says this is the version passed by HMK after the 2007 referendum.I'm not sure why you're bothering to look at the Constitution or any other Thai law. As my chum boygeenyus (aka. Noom Lex) says approvingly in another thread, the Thai "justice" system (including the police) simply doesn't follow the rule of law.

thaiworthy-old
February 25th, 2008, 08:00
Oh, Beryl, you are a dear.

The Thai justice system doesn't work, but that doesn't mean I like it that way.

Besides, I was talking about how it relates to drug dealers. You can bet that the Thai justice system WILL work, however, should it come down on you bald head (or that of any other farang).

OH NO! A troll with multiple personalities. This one thinks he's Aunty!

February 25th, 2008, 09:25
The Thai justice system doesn't work, but that doesn't mean I like it that wayBut what are your two best friends, top Thai police officers both and - according to you - among the tiny minority of incorruptibles - doing about it? You are still chums with them, aren't you - they weren't named (to no-one's surprise but your own) by that Thai massage parlour owner a few years ago?

February 25th, 2008, 09:28
Why do you assume Aunty is the only one with a dislike for the bald, old cunt they call Beryl?Remember, thaiworthy, that Aunty is my niece. Every post about me that Aunty writes reveals the depth of family knowledge. Even "Beryl" was something that only Aunty knew until it was published here, and then I wrote it up on my Blog - http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... .php?e=312 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog_entry.php?e=312)

As I say there "the wheels of God's throne are described as having the appearance of gleaming beryl (Ezekiel 1:16). I think of myself more as God than his throne, but the association is obvious"

TrongpaiExpat
February 25th, 2008, 12:33
Thanks hmmm for the link. I googled and googled to no avail and hit some banned sites as well.

There was some change in the wording on searches from the 97 Constitution but I don't have a clue what it will mean in the application. The Constitutional Court will not be handing down any major decisions in this area as they are too busy working out a legal way for Thaksin to return to power.

The Bangkok post is running a series of stories on the applications of Thai law. Bottom line is that things are done that sidestep, ignore and use alternative methods at critical points in the application of due process, sort of a Thai way of doing things.

February 26th, 2008, 05:46
Cant stand any more of these inaccuracies. Homi isnt bald and hes definitely no cunt. ok he may be baldin but most of us are arenтАЩt we mates? But i know for a fact that the very thought of cooz causes him illness so ya can forget about that whole cunt thing.

noom lex should be considerin how much hes got in common with homi. they both hate pattaya. ok ok thatтАЩs not much cause most people of good judgment do. But then theres all the other things ya agree on like...like....

maybe I overreached here but I hate to see disharmony upon this here ship of good mates.

February 26th, 2008, 06:00
maybe I overreached here but I hate to see disharmony upon this here ship of good mates.You have over-reached, dear boy - it is me who tells the story about wandering (waddling?) up Swanston Street in Melbourne, ignoring the blandishments of some female on heroin who thought she might offer me a good time, and leaving her in my wake to the accompaniment of "I wouldn't want you anyway, you bald, fat, old cunt". For some reason people like The Lad believe that calling me a cunt is something I'll find offensive (rather than amusing). The Lad (currently posturing as Noom Lex) keeps encountering me in mufti in various dives around Bangkok - most recently yesterday in a Tops supermarket that features an in-house "beat" (you'll know the one I mean)

February 26th, 2008, 06:12
it was probably just a call of nature the lad had.