PDA

View Full Version : Baht bus fare??

jvt22222
February 22nd, 2008, 07:47
Can folks remember how far back the baht bus fare has been 10 baht??? Thanks.

February 22nd, 2008, 07:53
Geez, an awful long time. But, for the BF it has been 5 baht for him at least as long. I always get the BF to pay, and yes I am willing to pay the farang tax as long a BF pays the Thai rate. The difference is to little to contemplate.

February 22nd, 2008, 10:03
Can folks remember how far back the baht bus fare has been 10 baht??? Thanks.

Yesterday?

atri1666
February 22nd, 2008, 11:09
In all 5 trips to pattaya last year.

TrongpaiExpat
February 22nd, 2008, 12:02
I seem to recall in the late 80's it was 10 Baht but they were hard to find after dark if you wanted to go to Jomtiem from Pattaya. It's really an exceptional value. I did not visit Pattaya for several years and when I went back in the late 90's I had just assumed the price was 20B. I passed them a 20 and got a smile. I latter read on the old Dreaded Ned forum that the price is still 10B but you have keep your hand inside the window with your palm up if you expect change.

February 22nd, 2008, 15:39
...and twice I had them drive off with my hand inside. Only minor scratches, but not worth 10 baht.

PeterUK
February 22nd, 2008, 16:50
...and twice I had them drive off with my hand inside. Only minor scratches, but not worth 10 baht.

Your hand inside what?? Perhaps you were lucky only to get 'minor scratches' if you offered a mere '10 baht'.

Marsha-old
February 22nd, 2008, 21:36
This was a notice a few moths back that the 5 baht was going up to 10 baht for Thais and 20 baht for Furlang. Due to the increase in oil.

February 22nd, 2008, 23:01
Strangely enough in Saigon / HCMC, where fuel costs are similar, this is about the price of a metered taxi! A bus which would cost around 50 - 100 baht here costs 3 - 5 baht there (not that I would want to be there!). More strangely, however, fares on baht-buses / song-taews (or the equivalent), as well as motor-bike taxis, are not only considerably cheaper anywhere immediately outside Pattaya (on Sukhumvit, for example) as well as in "the provinces", but also much less in Bangkok.

February 23rd, 2008, 01:08
How do you guys when catching a baht bus going north on 2nd road know if it is one that will loop back around onto Beach Road as opposed to one that will veer to the right onto North Pattaya at the dolphin? I don't know how to ask the driver or for any sign to look for on the outside that differentiates the two and while pct wise it seems the majority take the loop onto Beach Rd, it seems more times than not I get on one that is going onto North Pattaya and have to get off and walk across the road and catch another bus going back down Beach Rd.

Marsilius
February 23rd, 2008, 01:54
And, in a similar vein, how can you tell in advance, when boarding a songtaew on Beach Road, whether the driver is planning, having turned left at the entrance to Walking St. and then reaching the lights at the school, to turn left (northbound up Second Road) or right (intending to go to Jomtien)?

February 23rd, 2008, 02:37
How do you guys when catching a baht bus going north on 2nd road know if it is one that will loop back around onto Beach Road as opposed to one that will veer to the right onto North Pattaya at the dolphin?

I have always used my finger with the driver. I stand on second road and point towards Beach Road. If he is going to do the Beach Road loop, they stop and pick me up. If not, they usually smile and drive past.

I do not have a magic finger for Marsilius' question.

francois
February 23rd, 2008, 03:12
You really don't know which direction they make take. Just get off and take another. This is what the Thais do.

February 23rd, 2008, 03:14
And, in a similar vein, how can you tell in advance, when boarding a songtaew on Beach Road, whether the driver is planning, having turned left at the entrance to Walking St. and then reaching the lights at the school, to turn left (northbound up Second Road) or right (intending to go to Jomtien)?

I guess I've been lucky, because I never had one turn right toward Jomtien. I just expect they will turn north on 2nd RD and they always have for me. Also, since I stay near Sunee, I often get off at that corner and walk from there anyway.

That does not answer your question though.

February 23rd, 2008, 03:16
You really don't know which direction they make take. Just get off and take another. This is what the Thais do.

When I have been with a Thai, it's never been a problem because they ask or can tell from the markings on the outside of the bus. I have had Thais I've been with tell me "not this one" because it was one that intended to take North Pattaya at the dolphin.

February 23rd, 2008, 03:18
How do you guys when catching a baht bus going north on 2nd road know if it is one that will loop back around onto Beach Road as opposed to one that will veer to the right onto North Pattaya at the dolphin?

I have always used my finger with the driver. I stand on second road and point towards Beach Road. If he is going to do the Beach Road loop, they stop and pick me up. If not, they usually smile and drive past.

I do not have a magic finger for Marsilius' question.

Thank you sir. I will try and see if my finger is also magic next time. :)

February 23rd, 2008, 22:44
[quote="CurlyEyeWhen I have been with a Thai, it's never been a problem because they ask or can tell from the markings on the outside of the bus. I have had Thais I've been with tell me "not this one" because it was one that intended to take North Pattaya at the dolphin.[/quote]

Sorry, but as far as dark blue Pattaya song-taews are concerned the "markings on the outside of the bus" only show the licence and the licence number - there is no indication of direction / route, nor are there set routes. These are shown on the light-blue and white song-taews outside Pattaya, however, such as those going along Sukhumvit Road. Those going to Beach Road tend to have more passengers, which is probably what your Thai friends have been using, but it is only a guess.

February 23rd, 2008, 23:02
Sorry, but as far as dark blue Pattaya song-taews are concerned the "markings on the outside of the bus" only show the licence and the licence number - there is no indication of direction / route, nor are there set routes. These are shown on the light-blue and white song-taews outside Pattaya, however, such as those going along Sukhumvit Road. Those going to Beach Road tend to have more passengers, which is probably what your Thai friends have been using, but it is only a guess.

Thanks for the info. I was just speculating on how the Thais I'd been with could constantly get it right. The one time I was with a Thai and didn't was just last year and my companion was rather new to Pattaya. Since there is no way to tell on the dark blue baht buses, no markings or signs in the window, etc, they either did what you said, or asked the driver quickly as we were walking to get on board.

Shuee
February 24th, 2008, 18:55
i know some thais that pay 5bt for trips on baht bus, even for me also!! i was a bit concerned but as my friend was paying, the driver didnt seemed bothered either :compress:

February 25th, 2008, 11:41
My first trip to Pattaya was 1985- fare (farang) 10 Baht as it has been ever since - prices for goods and fuel were a lot less then. Now, some 22 years later, it is still the same fare - maybe more riders now, but then the number of blue buses seems to have also increased significantly. So, I can't help but think the baht bus drivers' income has eroded significantly because of no fare increase (this doesn't include the ones that gouge the tourist or stops and then runs off before you can get on when you head to the back (knowing the fare) instead of acting like many tourists by going to the window to ask "how much?"

I was told a few years ago that the blue buses with the "wide white stripe" on the side and across upper window were the ones that turn toward Jomtien -- I thought, "Great!" - now I know. So soon after on Beach Road a friend and I let a few Baht buses go by until we saw one with the White Stripe. On we got, expecting it to turn right toward Jomtien. You guessed it - turned left up 2nd Road. So, as before, I just catch one and if it turns in the direction I'm going, great. Otherwise, I hop off and walk to where I can catch one that I know is going my direction.

February 25th, 2008, 22:50
My first trip to Pattaya was 1985- fare (farang) 10 Baht as it has been ever since

You were paying double, in that case, for quite a long time.

Up2U
February 26th, 2008, 00:42
My first trip to Pattaya was 1985- fare (farang) 10 Baht as it has been ever since

You were paying double, in that case, for quite a long time.

Not sure, he said he was going to JomTien. JomTien was always 10 baht even for Thai.

February 26th, 2008, 23:35
Not sure, he said he was going to JomTien. JomTien was always 10 baht even for Thai.

Agreed, if it was always Pattaya-Jomtien.