PDA

View Full Version : American found guilty of rape gets 16 years

February 20th, 2008, 00:54
US Man Get 16 Years for Thai Sex Offense

9 hours ago
"BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) тАФ An American man was sentenced Tuesday to 16 years in prison for raping a 13-year-old girl and sexually abusing a second teenager in a Thai seaside resort town, police said.
Glenn Richard Allen, 61, was arrested in March last year in a sweep of persons suspected of sexually abusing children, said police Maj. Panya Chahemthet. He was arrested at his condominium in Pattaya, where he has lived for more than 10 years.
He was among six people arrested, including two Britons, a Finn, and two Thai women accused of procuring the girls. Their cases are being tried separately.
Allen was found guilty in the Bangkok Criminal Court of raping the 13-year-old girl in 2006 and sexually abusing a 14-year-old girl last year. He had pleaded not guilty.
Allen was released on bail pending an appeal. Police were unable to identify his hometown in the U.S.
Pattaya, 45 miles southeast of Bangkok, is notorious for its sex industry.
Last week, an American English teacher facing child sex charges in the United States was detained in Thailand. Earl R. Bonds, 42, of Missouri, was held after authorities received a request from the FBI for his arrest."

Associated Press

catawampuscat
February 20th, 2008, 10:14
wowpow knows better than cutting and pasting newspaper stories that have nothing to do with GAY Thailand.. :idea:
Unless his purpose is to highlite American criminals, this should be in the Global Forum or at the least not in this forum..
Always ready to offer my humble opinions on how to manage things.

I guess I am just a Smiles-wannabee and those lime margaritas sound tasty too.. :cat:

February 20th, 2008, 10:27
wowpow knows better than cutting and pasting newspaper stories that have nothing to do with GAY Thailand.. :idea: I'm afraid wowpow believes that the common rules of Forum behaviour do not apply to him - he is a serial offender. However this Forum is not about gay Thailand only - read the rules, and maybe learn from thrillbill's ignorance - http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 13921.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/moved-t13921.html)

February 20th, 2008, 10:40
I phoned the rape advice center a few nights ago
... it was then that I found out that it was only for victims :scratch:

TrongpaiExpat
February 20th, 2008, 10:55
I wonder if 16 years in Thailand really means 16 years? In USA if you get 16 years your out in 3 or less. He also has the option as an American citizen to serve his sentence in USA in a federal prison if the Feds make that offer and The Thai courts agrees. It takes about a year to arrange.

February 20th, 2008, 11:06
I'd rather serve five years in an American jail rather than five months in a Thai one.I wonder if that could be arranged? :idea:

francois
February 20th, 2008, 11:06
I wonder if 16 years in Thailand really means 16 years? In USA if you get 16 years your out in 3 or less.

Not really! Many states in the US have determinate sentences whereby 16 years is 16 years with no parole, good behavior, etc.. An indeterminate sentence such as 10 to 20 years could easily mean the person serves the maximum.

TrongpaiExpat
February 20th, 2008, 11:14
Yes, but I was referring to federal not State. Sentencing is never as simple as getting 10 or 15 years, there's a lot of fine print.

February 20th, 2008, 12:28
Ah, it's you who should be worried. I am so watching you.Was that you lurking among the Orewa hedgerows? I'm staying with Aunty for a few days, acting as the go-between for two badly-dressed (in pantsuits) female politicians - Comrade Helen (on the way out) and Hilary Clitoris (who once thought she was a shoo-in)

Aunty
February 20th, 2008, 14:10
Ah, it's you who should be worried. I am so watching you.Was that you lurking among the Orewa hedgerows? I'm staying with Aunty for a few days, acting as the go-between for two badly-dressed (in pantsuits) female politicians - Comrade Helen (on the way out) and Hilary Clitoris (who once thought she was a shoo-in)

There aren't hedgerows in Orewa you silly man.

Lex, you keep up the good work now, you hear! Be sure to let me know if you need any help with your expenses in contacting the authorities, eh? We all now how important it is to get this work done.

Bob
February 20th, 2008, 14:12
Yes, but I was referring to federal not State. Sentencing is never as simple as getting 10 or 15 years, there's a lot of fine print.

I was aware that you were in error referring to the state sentencing rules [although they do vary, anybody given a 16-year sentence (versus, let's say, a 3-16 year sentence) hardly gets out in 3 years] but, now that you mention you were referring to the federal rules, I'd note you're wrong there too. If a person was given a 16 year federal prison sentence (not likely as there is a minimum and maximum), they must serve at least 2/3'rds of the sentence. Most federal sentences have statutory minimum's and you have to serve that minimum time with almost no exceptions (oh, you usually get out early if you die).

There are tons of rules, mostly rather severe. In my state, for example, if you use a weapon in the commission of a felony, you must first serve the entire original sentence and then serve 2 more years for having the weapon. If you go down for first degree murder or felony murder (committing any felony which results in a killing - let's say a cop shoots at a bank robber and accidentally kills a civilian), you go for life (you only get out if you die or, in extremely rare circumstances, the governor commutes your sentence after you're 65 or 70).

February 22nd, 2008, 01:10
I wonder if 16 years in Thailand really means 16 years? In USA if you get 16 years your out in 3 or less. He also has the option as an American citizen to serve his sentence in USA in a federal prison if the Feds make that offer and The Thai courts agrees. It takes about a year to arrange.

16 years means 16 years unless you have pled guilty, in which case the sentence is automatically halved, or remission or even pardon is granted by HM (often in large numbers at an anniversary).