PDA

View Full Version : Help with taxi info

February 18th, 2008, 23:21
I will be flying from Bangkok to Phnom Phen in the middle of March. Flying from Bangkok to Siem Reap on Bangkok Air is ridiculously expensive I feel. Air Asia is only about $35.00 to Phnom Phen each way and Bangkok Air is almost $300 for the 1 hour trip to Siem Reap. Since there are 2 of us going I plan to fly to Phnom Phen and then take a taxi to Siem Reap. I know there is good bus service but I would like to take a taxi.

My question is if anyone has a contact for a good taxi service in Phnom Phen.

Thanks

February 19th, 2008, 02:10
Unfortunately no suggestions for a taxi but in case you are tempted, do NOT take the so-called high speed boat. I am sure there are several torture procedures which are more fun. Hot and noisy with sticky plastic-covered seats and diesel fumes etc inside. Either that or get fried by the sun while trying to cling to the roof or sides for 6 hours. Or you could fight for a spot on the bow and watch the pilot/captain drinking beer from 8am.

fedssocr
February 19th, 2008, 02:41
you can also fly between PNH and REP for about $170 roundtrip. I suppose if you are trying to do it cheap though that is not such a great deal. It's only about 35 minutes flying time though so that time savings may be worth something.

If you have never spent any time in Phnom Penh I can recommend spending a couple of days there to see the sites. It have really crazy traffic but it moves slower than BKK, for example. I thought it was an interesting place that is trying hard to recover from the last 30 years. The riverfront is nice. There are a couple of interesting museums.

Nirvana
February 19th, 2008, 12:42
took a taxi in mid January from Phnom Phen to Siem Reap....arrived by bus at 4.30 in the afternoon in Phnom Phen,
was told by the Cambodian "guide" last bus for Siem Reap left at 2'0 clock ..but could arrange a taxi for $80..
Taxi arrived at bus "depot" , we got in .. driver dressed in battle fatigues proceeded to give us the scariest drive of
my life , doing the 4 hour journey in 3.5 hours ..never went under 70 miles an hour ...screaming past cars , motorcycles
wandering cattle , little old ladies with bundles on their backs ..one foot on the gas ..one hand on the horn ...I 'm positive
my fingerprints are embedded in that door handle ...next time ..I'll stay the night ..and take the bus .

sjaak327
February 19th, 2008, 13:17
A taxi to Siem Reap should be around the 50-60 USD mark, busses go from 8 USD to 10 USD and take around 5 hours, taxis will travel faster. You might want to inquire with your hotel/guesthouse in Siem Reap, as some of them provide airport pickup which might be the way to go.

Phnom Penh is well worth your time by the way.

February 19th, 2008, 20:14
I really appreciate the advice. I think now that I will spend a few days in Phnom Penh. Why are the fares so high from Bangkok to Siem Reap?

Now that I will stay a couple days in Phnom Penh any ideas of a mederate priced hotel? I have searched the Board but I don't see much on Cambodia
Thanks again

sjaak327
February 19th, 2008, 21:02
The fares are high because Bangkok Air has a monopoly on that route, one that some say even halts the upgrade of the road between Poipet and Siem Reap.
making it a longer then necessary ride especially in the rainy season.

Why don't you checkout travelfish.org, there is more information and hotel recommendations then you will find here.

February 19th, 2008, 22:36
For those going from Pattaya who only want to visit Siem Reap but do not want to pay for Bangkok Air, it is considerably cheaper and quicker to take a taxi or go with a tour / visa-run group to Aranyaprathet / Poipet, then to go on by pre-booked Cambodian taxi / minibus (do not go to the Pailin border crossing by mistake!). It may appear a long drive, but Pattaya - Aranyaprahet - Siem Reap is less than Phnom Penh - Siem Reap and the half in Thailand is on decent roads. Going by air you also obviously have to allow for the drive to Suvarnhabumi, time for airport check-in, flight, then taxi/bus/minibus Phnom Penh - Siem Reap. Obviously if you want to spend time in Phnom Penh (though I cannot understand personally why anyone living in Thailand would) then a flight is the best answer, although it could be worth going one way by air and the other by road.

If you are a member of that elite group who consider themselves "rich gays", however, you will obviously be flying by private plane / helicopter so this would be of little interest!!

sjaak327
February 19th, 2008, 23:53
"(though I cannot understand personally why anyone living in Thailand would) "

Well let's put it this way, Phnom Penh has much much more to offer then Pattaya, if it was only because of it's history.

Yeah I know, there aren't many sex for hire places, another reason to go there I would say :)

ceejay
February 20th, 2008, 04:53
Firstly, hello to the board. I have been lurking in here as a guest for a while, as an occasional visitor to Thailand.

I have joined the board and joined in this thread because I am planning an almost identical trip to Pattaya Male later in the year (a week or so in Pattaya, a couple of days in Bangkok and then 5 or 6 days each in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap). Pattaya Male - if you can post some information of your experiences there, then I would love to read them, please.

I can't presume to offer advice on a country where I have never been, but..............

I hesitate to put a link in my first post (don't want my account deleted for advertising lol) but I have found a website for a small Phnom Penh taxi firm run by a guy called Ben Wee. I have googled him, and there are a fair few favourable mentions in a number of travel forums. If the photos really are his cars, then they are decent ones. I would be happy to post the link if that is OK.

A question you may be able to help me with. If I come into Thailand on the 30 day tourist exemption, go into Cambodia by air and then return to Thailand for just one night before flying back to England, will I be OK as far as visas go? I know I should ask the Thai embassy in London but.....they say they can't help with these enquiries over the phone (true) and that faxes are not always answered (also true) and the best way to contact them is by email (not true - that didn't get answered either)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Good to join you all

jinks
February 20th, 2008, 13:29
I would be happy to post the link if that is OK.

Yes, if it is as described, it will be welcomed.

sjaak327
February 20th, 2008, 14:46
Ceejay:

Assuming you are a UK citizen:

If you hold a return ticket within 30 days of your first arrival in Bangkok, then you will qualify for visa exempt (30 days), and you can leave thailand and come back as many times as you like, each time you will again receive a 30 day exempt stamp.

If your return flight is not within 30 days, then you are unable to show proof of onward travel within 30 days, and this might be a reason for the airline to refuse you boarding, Thai immigration at the airport would not really care. From your message I assume your total trip will be less then 30 days, so no worries on the visa front. If it is longer, you have several options:

Get a thai tourist visa 1000 baht
Plan on flying to Cambodia within 30 days, hence you are in appliance with the onward travel requirement
Call your airline and get a written confirmation that they will let you board.

Your last entry into thailand is one day before your flight back, so no problem at all.

Edit: I just read you plan on flying to Cambodia, if this is within 30 days, you are good to go. Have fun :)

ceejay
February 20th, 2008, 18:56
Many thanks, sjaak. That is exactly what I needed to know.

February 20th, 2008, 21:48
We stayed at FCC in Phnom Penh. Good location on the river, very near palace and other tourist attractions. Walking distance or $1 or $2 tuktuk ride to two gay bars (Salt and Blue Chilli). I think it cost about $60 per night including a very good breakfast for two. Really nice room - enormous with king size bed, private balcony and a very spacious interesting bathroom.

Important to choose a room in the back section (actually another building with its own access in the side street) which is much quieter and no problems whatsoever with joiners because you can access your room directly without going via reception in the front building. Could let you have the names of these rooms if you cannot identify them on the reservation website.

www.fcccambodia.com/phnom_penh/ (http://www.fcccambodia.com/phnom_penh/)

Met someone staying at a gay friendly guest house with pool fairly nearby but further back from the river. They had positive comments about it and I am sure it is cheaper than FCC. Unfortunately cannot remember the name! Just back from the traffic circle with the monument in the middle. Maybe someone else knows?

February 21st, 2008, 01:55
Ceejay:

If you hold a return ticket within 30 days of your first arrival in Bangkok, then you will qualify for visa exempt (30 days), and you can leave thailand and come back as many times as you like, each time you will again receive a 30 day exempt stamp.

Not quite...you can only enter for for 30 days per entry for a total of 90 days in any 6 months period for purposes of tourism

sjaak327
February 21st, 2008, 04:12
Ceejay:

Not quite...you can only enter for for 30 days per entry for a total of 90 days in any 6 months period for purposes of tourism

Well, I was assuming that the total number of days he wants to stay in Thailand wouldn't anywhere be near the 90 days, so no need to mention that, he can enter 30 times if he wants or even more, as long as the total duration of stay is below 90 days in the 6 months period.

February 21st, 2008, 22:08
The great thing about this Board is that usually you can get great information from some really knowledgeable people. I did not think about overland from Pattaya because I read some cautionary info, but the info was very dated I learned. If I enjoy Cambodia, I think I will try this idea next time.

I took Gone Fishing's advice and booked the FCC. I heard that one gay place was the Manor Inn but decided to stay on the river after checking Travelfish.org (another good idea from this board). I emailed the Blue Chili (??) and asked about a taxi service. They replied and said they would see what they could find. The FCC said they could help for $120 one way....a bit high I thought.

Does anyone know if there is a gay travel interest group in Pattaya? I don't want a group to travel with, but maybe they meet once a month to discuss places people have traveled to.

Thanks for all the good information

February 21st, 2008, 23:14
"(though I cannot understand personally why anyone living in Thailand would) "
Well let's put it this way, Phnom Penh has much much more to offer then Pattaya, if it was only because of it's history.
Yeah I know, there aren't many sex for hire places, another reason to go there I would say :)

And exactly what part of its "history" that Phnom Penh has so "much much more to offer" are you referring to? If comparing the cultural / historical sites that Phnom Penh has to offer to those in Thailand it is only fair to compare capital with capital (Phnom Penh to Bangkok); if comparing Pattaya, then Sihanoukville is more appropriate and is very similar to Pattaya some 25 years ago, but "catching up" fast, also with little history but a soaring number of hotels and bars.

I have not been to Phnom Penh for several years, but did work there - presumably the "history" has not changed, nor have the available historical sights for tourists to visit. In Phnom Penh city itself (as distinct from Angkor and similar sites) these are minimal:

Hu-Nan Empire (1st to 8th century): nil

Javan Empire vassal state (9th century): nil

Angkor (9th to 15th century): nil

Angkor (15th to 19th century): minimal, apart from the murals at Vat Preah Morokot. The original "phnom Penh" is a small shrine on a roundabout.

French protection / colonisation: minimal, apart from the layout of wide boulevards and the restored royal palace (with limited access); all the old villas and hotels, such as the "Royale", as well as most of the colonial buildings, the railway station, etc, have been "restored" or totally re-built in the last 15 years. The restored "Russian market", burnt down by the Khmer Rouge, is architecturally identical to those in Saigon (HCMC) and Hanoi.

Independent Kampuchea (1955-1975): minimal - a few Vietnam / Lon Nol era US / Chinese / Soviet armoured vehicles (one containing supposedly grisly human bones that are clearly from a sheep), a plane and a helicopter.

Khmer Rouge (1975 - 1978): S 21 (Tuol Sleng school), used as a prison / interrogation / execution centre, largely preserved "as was" and Choeung Ek (the Killing Fields), 15 km outside Phnom Penh, containing 129 mass graves and (originally) 8965 corpses. Both chilling, particularly before tourist access was "improved", but on a par with Belsen or Auschwitz as tourist attractions go.

Vietnamese assisted "liberation" (1979 - 1990), UNTAC (1990 - 1993), Constitutional democracy (1993 - ): nil

As far as "sex for hire places" are concerned, it appears that you don't "know"! Although under the UN administration this was the only area still "staffed" by the Vietnamese, I am reliably informed that although "go-go" is "no-no", "sex for hire" of virtually any description is very widely and readily available and an increasing attraction.

sjaak327
February 22nd, 2008, 03:45
"As far as "sex for hire places" are concerned, it appears that you don't "know"! Although under the UN administration this was the only area still "staffed" by the Vietnamese, I am reliably informed that although "go-go" is "no-no", "sex for hire" of virtually any description is very widely and readily available and an increasing attraction."

But nowhere near the numbers and visibility in Pattaya ! And I mean nowhere near. Sure if you look for it, you will find it no doubt, if you don't look, you won't see. The total opposite of Pattaya don't you think.

Nice write up on the history of Phnom Penh, or the lack thereoff. Still I think the city is a worthwhile destination, if only for S21 for instance. Something that isn't seen in Pattaya. Of course you are somewhat right in comparing PP with Bangkok, but since OP is from Pattaya, I thought it was only fair to compare PP with that city.

That was my point, in PP there is at least some history, museums, something that Pattaya lacks.

ceejay
February 22nd, 2008, 06:07
Now that I have been here long enough to post URL's this is the taxi company in Phnom Penh I mentioned:
http://www.phnompenhtaxidriver.com/

Like I said, I have not used it myself yet, but I have googled ben wee and he comes up with good refs on some travel sites.

February 22nd, 2008, 15:36
Thanks to Ceejay. I telephoned Ben Wee today. He speaks good English. He quoted me a price of $70. He apologized for the rate but said gasoline prices have been going up very fast. His rate is much better than the $120 quoted by the FCC hotel.

Also thanks to Gone Fishing for his PM. Very helpful. He mentioned that he heard that from a friend of a friend that someone has opened a new gay bar in Siem Reap and he has one in Phnom Penh....but he was not sure of the names. Anyone know anything about this?

It is good to know that some that might want to travel from Thailand have less expensive options than flying Bangkok Air. Their short flight from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap is $140 per person, each way. You can save $10 with their September promotion!!!

Bangkok Air round trip from Pattaya alone would be $800 for 2 people Then 6 night hotel charges on top of that ($400). Total $1200

Flying Air Asia including, all hotels in both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, and taxi from Phnom Penh and return with the chance to sight see a bit form Phnom Penh. is only $670 almost a 45% savings.

February 22nd, 2008, 21:08
The "new" bar in Siem Reap might be Blue Chillie (sp?) which is associated with the one of the same name in Phnom Penh.

Found it pleasant (not too overwhelming music) and extremely friendly but unfortunately very quiet. The other bar in Siem Reap (Linga Bar) was much busier but with overpowering music and an owner/manager who never seems to bother to greet his customers. Fortunately the great bar staff make up for it.

February 22nd, 2008, 22:25
One point I overlooked when I suggested the "road" option, since I assumed that PM was going soon, was that I would not recommend this in the wet season. Many of the roads between Poipet and Siem Reap are not surfaced and are laterite (mud), which is fine when dry but can be dangerous when wet - the road from Phnom Penh is better, but still far from perfect. A good "backpacker" option for those who really feel they have to see other places, and who cannot be persuaded otherwise, is to take a mini-bus from Saigon (HCMC), South Vietnam, to Phnom Penh then on to Siem Reap and finally Poipet/Aranyaprathet; tour companies in HCMC can arrange this so you can get on / off when you want, where you want (within reason). Thai boyfriends may not be impressed!