PDA

View Full Version : Sunee Plaza Raids

February 13th, 2008, 15:50
I was in Villa Rouge/Kaos last night 12th February, when two policemen, a man in camouflage uniform and an official in civilian clothes entered shortly after 11pm and blew a whistle to stop the music, then group all the dancers on the stage. All the farangs were then permitted to leave, but those with Thai friends accompanying them had to depart without them. Furthermore, other adult oriental customers were also detained.

After leaving the bar, I stayed nearby and witnessed similar raids being made on all other establishments throughout the area, go-go bars and beer bars alike. The real purpose behind these raids is still unclear to me, but the manner in which they were conducted upset me considerably. The most obvious outcome was the herding of all Thais, over 100 of them, from these establishments as well as from the street to be corralled in front of the Don Plaza corner and made to sit on the ground, waiting to have their urine tested, obviously for drugs. Presumably they were also checked for ID purposes.

During this process, the surrounding area was full of farangs looking on, as well as the media recording the event. The fact that most of those detained were innocent of anything was irrelevant, they were all treated in the same humiliating fashion. About two hours after the raid started, the first tranche of about 20 unfortunate Thais were marched away to be taken elsewhere, presumably having failed their test or had suspect ID.

What purpose these raids, or indeed the ones in May and August last year, have is beyond me. Maybe they serve some political or media purpose, but sure as hell, they fail to prevent most of the same people continuing their use of drugs. In August, the eventual outcome was the lengthy closures of various bars, as if they were responsible for their employees personal habits. To expect a bar to check every employee every day for drugs is unrealistic, yet they and their customers must suffer for some higher edict.

I trust that no bars are ordered to be shut for the remainder of the high season as they merely provide us with entertainment and friendly company to farangs and other customers.

thrillbill
February 13th, 2008, 15:57
Are raids like this conducted with the Thai girls that work at the straight bars?

:idea:

TOQ
February 13th, 2008, 17:41
If Im not mistaken they also hit bars on Walking Street at the same time

john

February 13th, 2008, 18:58
Silly question l know, but when the police raid these places what happens to your check bin ? Are they just left unpaid ?

February 13th, 2008, 19:28
Silly question l know, but when the police raid these places what happens to your check bin ? Are they just left unpaid ?

No,

They stick it in someone else's who has had one over the odds!

February 14th, 2008, 08:09
I would insist on at least a body search in the back of their van!

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 14th, 2008, 14:16
or so I'm told.

My friend in Sydney tells me big gay parties there and Melbourne are regularly raided by the cops with sniffer dogs and groups are lined up to be "sniffed" for drugs.

needless to say..my sad old queen pal gets sniffed by the alsatian and then goes to the back of the queue for another go.

February 14th, 2008, 15:06
Thanks Lunchtime for the comic relief

catawampuscat
February 19th, 2008, 00:13
rumours of another raid in Sunee Plaza tonite (18th), keep things quiet.. No show tonite at Villa Rouge and
Minou and Sundance were reported to also be quiet.. I left sunee, fairly late but sometimes they pull raids right
before closing time so I will leave it to others to update if, indeed the red alert was real tonite... :cat:

February 22nd, 2008, 15:20
"Furthermore, other adult oriental customers were also detained."

Can anyone please tell what happened to these customers; were they treated badly, fined, etc?

Thanks!

Marsha-old
February 22nd, 2008, 21:30
Was in Villa Rouge and was not detained by anyone, worse luck?

TrongpaiExpat
February 23rd, 2008, 00:13

My BF told me he was at that bar/disco next to DJ's a few nights ago and when the police pulled up on Silom everyone all at once ran for the door including the staff without paying the checks. The police never came in.

I notice that the police when they put everyone down on the ground, they make them take off their shirts but pants remain on---dam it.

The new Interior Mister, Chalarm, is suggesting he's going to be doing something agressive about drugs.