PDA

View Full Version : A Test run of the no smoking laws last night in Bangkok

TrongpaiExpat
February 11th, 2008, 12:01
I heard that the Rachada Gay discos last night decided to enforce early the no smoking laws. The staff got very aggressive with anyone who lit up and goose steeped the offender to the door or that that called frog walking? They were checking the hong nhams too. Some tried lighting up outside and then cupped the lit butt in the hand and sneak back in, they got busted.

Thai TV is running adds telling everyone that the fine is 2000 B for smoking in a bar/disco etc. and is in effect from the 11th.

I on the other hand was over at soi Twilight last night and the ban has not taken hold there yet, I came home smelling of smoke.

I asked if Dick's Cafe is going smoke free and got conflicting answers. Outside no, inside with door open yes, no, maybe and not sure were the responses.

Maybe they will need to install some smoke detectors.

February 11th, 2008, 12:59
I asked a number of bar or pub owners, managers, employees, customers, ... both straight and gay bars in Bnagkok over the weekend and last night whether the new anti-smoking policy was being implemented. None of them seemed to have heard much about anything. Some even inquired as of where I had heard this news (I did not say it was a WOWPOW cut and paste on another board, of course), . My shirt still smelled a little this morning. Oh well!

TrongpaiExpat
February 11th, 2008, 13:48
The owners of these discos that I mentioned don't want to face 20,000B fine so it makes sense to have a test run and see if the staff can control smoking. The bars might be easier to enforce but some of the discos might have enforcement problems to work out.

It's going to be interesting to see what the bar owners/managers do if one smoker causes them to get a 20,000B fine: Put a 20k check in the bin of the offender or just bar him entry for life. They could take photos and have a board up by the door to bar future entry of offenders.

February 11th, 2008, 15:38
Why not consider the following action should there be people smoking cigarettes in any venue: When asking for the bill politely ask the staff to call police stating that you will file a complaint and look what will happen. We are ready for some fun as Thai people never like to confront uncomfortable situations.

thrillbill
February 11th, 2008, 17:02
Smoking ban being enforced? I was at DJ's Saturday night and before I walked in I asked the manager if they were enforcing the smoking ban, he said "No." I asked why and he said it was to difficult to enforce... I think most of us can stand some cigarette smoke but when it is a packed place like DJ's and everyone is holding up their cigarette above their shoulders, it IS a bit too much. The excuse that it was too difficult to enforce was just being lazy. There's a great area outside of DJ's and all the other clubs on soi 2 to light up and exhale the smoke into the outdoor air.

February 11th, 2008, 17:11
There's a great area outside of DJ's and all the other clubs on soi 2 to light up and exhale the smoke into the outdoor air.If it were used for the Running of the Bulls there'd be no human survivors

TrongpaiExpat
February 11th, 2008, 18:40
I was at DJ's Saturday night and before I walked in I asked the manager if they were enforcing the smoking ban, he said "No."

Saturday was the 9th, the ban is effective on the 11th. Give it time.

The ban was the lead story in the Post but there was something about no one getting fined until June. Thai papers report that this will be enforced.

thrillbill
February 11th, 2008, 21:59
There's a great area outside of DJ's and all the other clubs on soi 2 to light up and exhale the smoke into the outdoor air.If it were used for the Running of the Bulls there'd be no human survivors

************************************************** *************************************************

Quite true!!! On a Saturday nite at soi 2, you'd think the whole male population of BKK was gay! lol

February 12th, 2008, 12:18

You might be surprised how orderly a Thai rush for the exits would be as opposed to in the "survival of the fittest" west. This isn't English rugby here.

I'm back at sawatdee and farangs are bashing DJ again. Oh give them some credit for having expanded, and refurbished the ventilation - more comfortable, but still not completely satisfactory for many farangs, I agree.

************************************************** *************************************************

Quite true!!! On a Saturday nite at soi 2, you'd think the whole male population of BKK was gay! lol

bigben
February 12th, 2008, 12:39
A friend of a friend who talks to various Soi Dogs told me the smoking ban WILL NOT be enforced for 3

months. Only verbal warnings for the next 90 days.

All you lovely smokers have 3 months to kick the habit. :idea:

I think the establishments who make smoking areas for customers will do a landslide business.

Now there is an idea.... duel smoking rooms

one with ashtrays available and one with tissues available :cheers: