View Full Version : Spare any change?

February 8th, 2008, 00:49
Sawatdee guys. New to the forum here. I've been to Pattaya twice in the last three months, and am going back out again at the end of the month. I'm addicted, for sure.

Just one question though, what do you do for change when it comes to tipping the bar boys? I don't mean while your saying your goodbyes in the morning, I always keep 40 Baht aside for that (kidding), no, I mean when your in your bar of choice surrounded by a swarm of the lovelies who's gyrating white pants in front of your face are crying out to be fed with a note or two (either through your own desire, or a deep sense of obligation)

If I'm lucky, I might have three or four 20's in my wallet, which soon go, and the next denomination up is always the 100's. Incidentally, where are all the 50's? They do exist. I know they do. I've seen one. But how come you never seem to get any in your change? Anyway, I digress.. I'm not adverse to slipping the odd 100 through a nice tight waistband wrapped around a slim yet slightly toned silky smooth bronze waist, *sigh, I want to go back now, but without sounding too tight, I'm not into throwing them around like confetti.

So what do you do for change? In lesser trusting societies such as my own, where you have to pay for your drinks on a drink by drink basis, you could always ask for change at the bar, but when you pay for all your drinks in one go at the end, this isn't an option. What happens when you take your eyes off that throbbing pair of budgie smugglers in your face for a brief moment to look down at your wallet and find that you've only got 1000 Baht notes? Slip him one of those, watch his face light up like a Christmas tree and then ask him for change? Maybe you could ask him for a receipt as well? Asking the mama-san for change seems, well, a little awkward. I've never seen anyone else doing this. During the day, I tend to buy everything with either 500 or 1000 Baht notes, even if it's just a 10Baht cold towel from the 7-11, just to stock up on change for the night, but surely there's a better way?

I can't be the only one who wonders about this? Any advice?

Jetsam
February 8th, 2008, 01:09
Man... I thought I was a bad writer but u are up with me, not the grammatical thing u win that , but the comprehensive thing.

about changing big notes, just step into Krazy Dragon , I think they have an employee just for that. 1000 bht will most probably become 50x20 bht.

February 8th, 2008, 05:52
God love ya - I am waiting for someone to ask what "budgie smugglers" are you aussie boy you

February 8th, 2008, 06:22
Sounds like Billie trying to be nice.

February 8th, 2008, 07:34
Just ask the waiter to break the note for you any way you want. They'll be more than happy to do it knowing it's going for "tips".

Good question about the 50's. Don't know why you hardly see them. Personally I get confused with the different notes in the dark and would just rather deal with 20's, 100's and 1000's - 1000's in wallet, 100's in pants pocket, 20's in shirt pocket.

TrongpaiExpat
February 8th, 2008, 12:49
Good question about the 50's. Don't know why you hardly see them. Personally I get confused with the different notes in the dark and would just rather deal with 20's, 100's and 1000's - 1000's in wallet, 100's in pants pocket, 20's in shirt pocket.

Good idea to have some system. I have a friend that lives in Pattaya and I have seen him hand out 1000's thinking they are 20's. The black lights and a few beers don't help but on the up side he is very popular with the boys. The flash light that some waiter carry don't help, it just reflects the light off the bill in you eyes.

February 10th, 2008, 13:36
The flash light that some waiter carry don't help, it just reflects the light off the bill in you eyes.

That's the idea!

February 10th, 2008, 19:10
Twenties - not even 50 Euro cents - is a bit small for a tip. Fifties - that rare thing - and 100's are more suitable, but I guess it depends on what favours the boy has done you that earn the tip. I am a compulsive saver of small notes. So during the day, if I have to buy anything from a 7 -11, or a meal from a restaurant, I try to pay with a bigger note than I usually would, to get more change.

As for bars being ready to change big notes into smaller denominations for you, this is not always so. Consequently, I don't rely on them anymore. I have come across 2 or 3 bars in the last few years (the most recent one just a few months ago) that have flat out REFUSED to change notes, even though I explained that it was to enable me to tip the boys.

February 10th, 2008, 20:33
OK, so agreed the 20 is a very small amount in dollars, Euros, or whatever.
However, for the passing boy that you are not attracted to, but needs some attention for his flaunting it and trying, I think one or two 20's is adequate. For example, at Crazy Dragon where the boys keep flowing and one is standing above you showing his all and with a good smile that needs to be rewarded. I don't feel that deserves a 100 unless you want him to set with you have a drink and then its a lot more involved. But for the passing flow. If you feel like tipping anything, what is wrong with a 20 or two? Is that being cheap?

And the waiter that brings just one beer?

And the entertainers screwing at your table when you really don't even want them. Pretty hard to only tip a 20 to a boy bent over getting poked. He deserves more but what if you don't even want the pleasure of his being fucked at your seat (BKK)?

What is an Average Acceptable Tip at a place like Crazy Dragon where the boy does show you his best and giving the good smile...........but not invited by you to set down.

February 10th, 2008, 20:54
What is an Average Acceptable Tip at a place like Crazy Dragon where the boy does show you his best and giving the good smile...........but not invited by you to set down.

This seems to fall in the "up to you" category. Your reasoning is sound. Tipping at all puts you into a small group that bothers to tip. For many of the boys, any tip is appreciated.

February 10th, 2008, 22:32
For many of the boys, any tip is appreciated.And from the rest you get the label "stingy"

francois
February 11th, 2008, 05:59
OK, so agreed the 20 is a very small amount in dollars, Euros, or whatever.
However, for the passing boy that you are not attracted to, but needs some attention for his flaunting it and trying, I think one or two 20's is adequate. For example, at Crazy Dragon where the boys keep flowing and one is standing above you showing his all and with a good smile that needs to be rewarded. I don't feel that deserves a 100 unless you want him to set with you have a drink and then its a lot more involved. But for the passing flow. If you feel like tipping anything, what is wrong with a 20 or two? Is that being cheap?

I agree that 40 baht is a nice gesture for that one boy does his best to attract your attention. Not too much and not too little. I make it a point to tip one boy in every bar who catches my eye. Of course after more than a few drinks I am seeing double and triple and tipping more and more.

February 11th, 2008, 18:01
A few tips about how tp get some change.
1. Actually go into a bank and ask.
2. When you find an ATM that is nearly empty and gives out 500 baht notes, get several days money in one go.
3. In cinemas and supermarkets, always give them 1000 baht notes, they always have change.
4. Go to somewhere that will have loads of small notes and change your big ones. A friend always used to get piles of 20 baht notes by changing at amusement arcades like the one at Big C.