PDA

View Full Version : Looking for upscale lodgings in Sunee what bars to avoid

February 7th, 2008, 22:04
I have never stayed in Sunee. On my three trips to Thailand I have stayed at the Tarntawan in BKK, Ambience in Pataya and Mariott in Pukett. Hopefully I can get some objective answers on where to stay. I know it will not be Marriott level but something clean, comfortable and nicely furnished will do. Of course I will be entertaining gentleman callers (i.e. bar boys legal age.)

Given all of the controversy over the underage element in this area any recommendations of bars to avoid?

Thank you in advance for your trusted opinions.

Jetsam
February 7th, 2008, 22:53
I think Don Plaza hotel in the heart of Sunee look very nice

DON PLAZA HOTEL (http://www.don-plaza-pattaya.com/dpen/index.php)

In fact I think this is the place I will stay my next trip

February 7th, 2008, 23:33
Don Plaza looks nice and the rooms are nice but the stairs are very steep narrow and dark. The place has no lift. There are few resturants in the area during the day and no pool close by. This sounds like a repeat of an earlier post. As far as bars go it is best for you to explore and just cross the ones you don't like off your list. Posting of bars to avoid only advertises those bars to others and usually supplies info to the poster who doesn't want his real intentions known to others.

February 8th, 2008, 05:53
Thanks for the info on Don Plaza. Sounds perfect. I retract my request for info on where not to go. I spent several hours today reading posts on this site and now understand why I asked an inappropriate question.

Thanks Again for the lodging tips!

catawampuscat
February 8th, 2008, 10:57
Several acquaintances (friends of friends) stayed at Don Plaza recently and found it less than perfect.
One has an issue with the no credit cards accepted policy and had to raise cash quickly when he checked out.

Another wasn't thrilled with the service and lack of English language comprehension.

The stairs are dangerous and easy to have an accident if you like the booze or are not prepared.
Area can be dicey late at nite but it is right on top of things in Sunee Plaza.

I don't know the current rates but unless it is a real bargain, I would consider other hotels as well.
I haven't used a hotel in Pattaya in many years but many seem to choose Flamingo Hotel in Day-Night area,
in my humble opinion..................... :cat:

February 8th, 2008, 11:57
As The Cat Rightly says:- to be fair.. To Don Plaza

The stairs, I don't know about dangerous, my be if your over weight like him, you could force your way up them, but not the best way to make an entrance to your very nice room.

As for credit cards with an ATM machine, just about every hundred yards around Pattaya, I cant see why you cant pay cash, I'm sure you don't mind not paying ATM fees..

Area can be dicey late at nite but it is right on top of things in Sunee Plaza.

Yes this could be so, but I'm sure your be safe, as any where, if you don't walk about with your gold necklace and diamonds showing. if you did not know Day and Night area can be very dangerous also murders have happened there before now.

Flamingo Room are tired and small with no lift not much fun on the 4th floor if your drunk walking up all those stairs either.

Try www.mosaikpattaya.com/ (http://www.mosaikpattaya.com/) very nice 1 2 3 bedroomed apartments from 8500 a month.

I would consider other hotels as well.

Yes I would also try the Euro-Asia Hotel, I don't know the address, but its very classy and up the same Soi as Ole Restaurant behind Sunee Plaza. I think its 700 a night, but all you will need for your standard of Hotel and brand new also.

in my humble opinion.....................Try all the Bars, you never know you may find the guy your looking for, you can always turn round and leave if you dont like it?

TrongpaiExpat
February 8th, 2008, 12:20
I haven't used a hotel in Pattaya in many years but many seem to choose Flamingo Hotel in Day-Night area

Yes they do and some love it and for the life of me, I don't know why. I used to stay there about 2000/2003 and found it OK but far from upscale. The baths are Thai style, no lift, and then it was new and clean. Now, it's worn and the baths are not clean. The doors have heavy latches and all night you hear doors closing.

I got stuck staying there last year for a few nights and will not return. I am not sure of the joiner policy as I just walked past the night clerk who was sleeping on the floor behind the desk. When I checked out I saw on the computer a listing for Joiners and I was asked if I had any joiners. I lied and said no.

In my opinion, if you want a nice room you can't go wrong at Poseidon. I know it's not Sunee but it only 5 or 10 min. away for only 10B on a songtow.

www.poseidon-pattaya.com/rooms.shtml?en (http://www.poseidon-pattaya.com/rooms.shtml?en)

February 8th, 2008, 12:43
"I got stuck staying there last year for a few nights and will not return. I am not sure of the joiner policy as I just walked past the night clerk who was sleeping on the floor behind the desk. When I checked out I saw on the computer a listing for Joiners and I was asked if I had any joiners. I lied and said no."

I stayed in Flamingo last october for 3 nights. I was total open agout bringing 3 different guys to my room (no, not at the same time). I had no problems bringing joiners nor was I asked to pay any fee. But ID was checked. I don't know if they write it into the computer. I am not doubting what you are writing about the list. But if it was not directly shown to me, I would not be able to see if it was a list of joiners.

What I like about Flamingo is that is it just outside the Sunee area and a short walk to Boyztown.

catawampuscat
February 8th, 2008, 14:07
Looks like I picked up a new stalker.. He seems familiar somehow but I just can't place him... :idea:
Doesn't he know that catawampuscat is "the most humble poster"?
Mosaik is very nice but they don't like it when someone tries to skip out without paying.
No sense of humour at all. Just steps from Flamingo Hotel and lots of restaurants :cat:

February 8th, 2008, 17:08
Of course I will be entertaining gentleman callers (i.e. bar boys legal age.)

In Sunee Plaza?? Happy hunting! :geek:

lonelywombat
February 8th, 2008, 17:21
In my opinion, if you want a nice room you can't go wrong at Poseidon. I know it's not Sunee but it only 5 or 10 min. away for only 10B on a songtow.

www.poseidon-pattaya.com/rooms.shtml?en (http://www.poseidon-pattaya.com/rooms.shtml?en)

I have to agree with Poseiden It is not too far away from Sunee to be annoying, baht bus at front door

If you accept motorbike taxi then it is quick both ways

Poseiden soi [my new name] is becoming lively and maybe you could divert your attentions from Sunee

I know I do

February 9th, 2008, 05:08
OK, Now I am confused. The stair issue at Don Plaza is not an issue. I do not get falling over drunk and am in decent shape. The paying of cash is also not an issue. What I would like to know is are the rooms nice? I would probably go for the best room/suite they have available. As far as dangerous, I live in what some would consider a dangerous city. I keep my eyes and ears open and know where to go and where not to go. Same as in any city anywhere in the world.

I am open to suggestions. Thank you all again in advance.

February 9th, 2008, 05:22
I can only say I was looking at one room, and I really liked it. I was going to stay there, but felt it was better for me to stay out of the area. I felt day nigt was more relaxed.
In fact I have been thinking to stay in Don IF I will go to Pattaya again. But I doubt. The hotel and the rooms is great i thought. But hsve never stayed there. have just been lookig. ;-)

February 10th, 2008, 01:22
Brand new, I believe, it is called Moonlight, big Hotel, highly recommended by Bob, a pal of mine, says fantastic, looks impressive and does not touch a thousand baht a night!

Why don't some of you Sunnee Plaza fans check it out.

Looking at it, looks like at least a good four star.

Jetsam
February 10th, 2008, 04:07
Brand new, I believe, it is called Moonlight, big Hotel, highly recommended by Bob, a pal of mine, says fantastic, looks impressive and does not touch a thousand baht a night!

an url to the place would be great in this case,

lonelywombat
February 10th, 2008, 06:10

I am unsure if Moonlight is the one I looked at during my last trip, in soi 17 just past the entrance to

Soi Yensabai on the right before you get to soi daynight. I had seen the building from Two Faces

and went to ask the rates. Reception would/could give me rates and I was told I had to speak to the manager,

if I wished to make a booking. Very well fitted out , did not appear to be busy or even occupied in September

I got the impression that Europeans were not welcome. I was told later they are catering for arabs,only

for the location I am discussing, go to the day night map at

www.gayaffairspattaya.com (http://www.gayaffairspattaya.com)

February 15th, 2008, 00:31

I am unsure if Moonlight is the one I looked at during my last trip, in soi 17 just past the entrance to

Soi Yensabai on the right before you get to soi daynight. I had seen the building from Two Faces

and went to ask the rates. Reception would/could give me rates and I was told I had to speak to the manager,

if I wished to make a booking. Very well fitted out , did not appear to be busy or even occupied in September

I got the impression that Europeans were not welcome. I was told later they are catering for arabs,only

for the location I am discussing, go to the day night map at

www.gayaffairspattaya.com (http://www.gayaffairspattaya.com)

Hi lonelywombat,

There are two very recent openings, if the one you are referring to is a multi coloured building with different colours on the window frames that is not the one.

Moonlight is brand new down Soi 17, I believe and very near, what will be, the New Birdcage.

Pattayapolice has stayed there, I believe, it was he who told me how great it was. It is also near and far enough away in Sunnee and close to Day/ Night.

I have asked Mark to get more details on it, as it has received rave reviews from a few, not only on price, but size and cleanliness.

When I get these details, I will let you know unless someone beats me to it!