PDA

View Full Version : Thai ID/Under Age Boys

February 7th, 2008, 17:52
When checking Thai ID, always remember the ID is in Thai years.

2533 is 18 years of age. Anyone born after 2533 is UNDER 18.

Marsilius
February 7th, 2008, 18:09
May we ask what provoked this post?

February 7th, 2008, 18:17
the new ID cards have the birthdate with both the Thai and Gregorian year. And they have been around long enough that anybody with an old style ID card would probably have to be over 18 by now.

February 7th, 2008, 18:29
Actually, that's not altogether true, in Pattaya at least. In recent months, the "new" smart cards have not been issued, but rather the older style cards without the western DOB.

globalwanderer
February 7th, 2008, 18:33

And the majority born in 2533 are still only 17.... it's only February

February 7th, 2008, 18:43
Avidflyer is right - some offices are still issuing the old style cards (without the gregorian calendar date) - my ex was issued with an old style one just over a year ago in Bangkok (who at the time said they had run out of the new style cards)

TrongpaiExpat
February 7th, 2008, 18:46

For those who are cutting it close, I guess your saying that the Thai year is on Songkran rather than Jan 01. So, what date is that, the first day of Songkran, the last or something in the middle?

February 7th, 2008, 19:18
I tend to err on the side of conservatism and go for 2531 or earlier. I don't think it is an unreasonable comfort zone to aim for.

globalwanderer
February 7th, 2008, 19:42

For those who are cutting it close, I guess your saying that the Thai year is on Songkran rather than Jan 01. So, what date is that, the first day of Songkran, the last or something in the middle?

No, I am saying that those born in 2533 will have their 18th birthday sometime between Jan 1 and Dec 31 this year.

Oh and don't forget, Thais are not adverse to borrowing a friends ID if the need arises!

February 8th, 2008, 09:53
Avidflyer is right - some offices are still issuing the old style cards (without the gregorian calendar date) - my ex was issued with an old style one just over a year ago in Bangkok (who at the time said they had run out of the new style cards)

My friend was issued an "old" card a few months ago. On my question: "Why no smart-card"? the answer was: "Taksin go, smart-card go!" So obviously, the smart-card was an idea of the Taksin gvt and disappeared together with the yellow THB 30-card and other things.

If you check an ID-card, ask for the boys ID-number. Some boys are masters in finding "look-alikes" and borrow their ID-cards.

February 8th, 2008, 21:23
So obviously, the smart-card was an idea of the Taksin gvt and disappeared together with the yellow THB 30-card and other things.

Actually, no. The "smart-cards" are still being issued when stocks are available / old stocks used up. The "yellow THB 30-card" is still available and in widespread use and "other things" such as the two and three digit lottery tickets are to be re-introduced. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose ...