PDA

View Full Version : The latest delicacy in Thailand

February 6th, 2008, 22:32
The latest delicacy in Thailand:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7230233.stm

Homiterm makes me puke but this just makes me throw up.

February 6th, 2008, 23:01
The latest delicacy in Thailand:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7230233.stm

Homiterm makes me puke but this just makes me throw up.

Not a very nice revelation to make in the Chinese New Year we have just entered, which just happens to be the Year Of The Rat! As far as the hip and liver being the tastiest cuts, I would imagine that consuming any cut from the rat, would be far tastier than any part of Hommie. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

Here is one below, who is just defying anyone of those roadside sellers to try and put him on their menu.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/rat1.gif

G.

February 7th, 2008, 06:09
Recipe for ground rat meat and chili paste:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fish oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers
4 long green peppers
8 large bay leaves
1/2 cup holy basil leaf
1 tablespoon salt
4 chopped garlic cloves
4 small rats
Initial Preparation:

With a mortar and pestle place the 1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers, and begin to mash until a red paste is achieved. Add a tablespoon of water to make moist.
Chop garlic cloves.
Place bay leaves in a small bowl of water. Roll two bay leaves at a time and then thinly shred and place in dry dish. Do for all 8 leaves - two at a time.
Place holy basil leaves in a small bowl of water.
Dice long green peppers. Do small cross sections so look like wheels and place in dry dish.
Skin 4 small rats. Clean and place heart and liver in separate bowl.
Cooking preparations:

Place oil in a wok over an open flame and heat
Place small rats in a grate, and lightly cook over an open flame on both sides until medium cooked. Do not cook well done.
Mix red chili paste with hot oil and stir well.
Finely chop rats on a wood chopping block over and over until makes a smooth ground meat texture. Be sure to chop all the bones well.
Add chopped rat meat to the red chili paste and oil and stir well.
Add diced green peppers and stir well. Let cook for 5 minutes.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of salt.
Add whole liver and heart and sir in.
Add holy basil leaves to mixture and stir in well and let cook for another 5 minutes. Be sure not to burn the chili paste - add a little water if necessary to keep moist but not runny.
Add chopped garlic cloves
Add shredded bay leaves and stir in and cover and let simmer for 5 minutes or more to let all the flavors mix well.
Serving:

Serve ground rat meat on an oval dish with livers and heart on the top. Circle with garnish of basil leaves and halves of lime. Serve with white rice. The flavor will be hot and tangy with a mild crunchy chew to it. It is not to be considered the main dish, but a nice hot and spicy accent to other prepared dishes. Very good on crackers, but Thais do not generally eat crackers.

February 7th, 2008, 08:22
Recipe for ground rat meat and chili paste:

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fish oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers
4 long green peppers
8 large bay leaves
1/2 cup holy basil leaf
1 tablespoon salt
4 chopped garlic cloves
4 small rats

Hey! Maybe they can put this recipe in the next issue of Spice Magazine in their "Tastes of Thailand" series! :cheers:

Did anyone notice a while back the new species of rat they "discovered" in Laos? They found it hanging in a food seller's stall. The forest people had been eating it for generations.

February 7th, 2008, 13:37
Country rat has been eaten in Thailand for centuries. I don't know why is is announced as 'The latest delicacy in Thailand'.

When Hong Kong and Singapore airports opened they both had rat infestations. When asked about this happening to Suvarnabhumi airport Taksin said " Certainly not the Isaan worker will have eaten them all"

I can see nothing repugnant about eating a country rat any more than a bunny rabbit. Perhaps the odd case of Bubonic plague?

February 7th, 2008, 14:07
I'm quite surprised at the assertion that Chek Lap Kok was infested with rats on opening. It was built on the demolished Chek Lap Kok island and reclaimed land between that and Lantau. I visited Chek Lap Kok Island with the HK Natural History Society before the work began and rat was not one of the species observed. This small island had been the only habitat of Romer's Tree Frog but happily the species was able to be relocated to Lantau before building commenced.

The new town at Tung Chung was built in parallel with the airport. Perhaps wowpow can point us to some online evidence of his assertion. He's usually very skilled at cut 'n paste.

February 8th, 2008, 01:08
Rat is quite a delicacy in Chinese Restaurants and takeaways throughout the UK. The spelling however usually get lost in translation on the menu and often shows up inadvertently as "Chicken".

Jetsam
February 8th, 2008, 01:19
Rat is quite a delicacy in Chinese Restaurants and takeaways throughout the UK. The spelling however usually get lost in translation on the menu and often shows up inadvertently as "Chicken".

I know in Belgium they eat rat a lot, muskrat that is, but they call it water rabbit.
btw I ate insects for the first time my last trip and I must say grasshoppers are very tasty , they taste like roasted peanuts only more crispy.

February 8th, 2008, 03:32

I know in Belgium they eat rat a lot, muskrat that is, but they call it water rabbit.

Just don't eat them cooked ! :clown:

February 8th, 2008, 10:46
I'm quite surprised at the assertion that Chek Lap Kok was infested with rats on opening.

Hong kong is full of rots. We have them in the forest by the millions. This time of year it's especially bad as they climb into the mandarine hedge to fight over the ripe fruit along with giant fruit bats. One delight I have discovered is the Javanese mongoose, its much nicer than a rot, and travels in a pack with little babies in-tow.