PDA

View Full Version : EVA Elite...and the toilet seats

February 6th, 2008, 08:26
I see a rather long post on Baht Stop about flying EVA to Thailand, and I'm not a poster on Baht Stop, so I thought I would start a new thread here. I have had several serious issues with EVA that I had discusssed with my travel agent prior to my last flight. Sadly, I predicted EVA's behavior prior to the flight. Following is the letter that was sent to my travel agent...it explains the whole situaation in detail. Legal complaints have been filed since returning to LAX. Have any of you had a similar experience with EVA while flying out of of LAX?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

I have been sitting on this letter for three weeks now trying to decide if I were overly emotional or had really been discriminated against by EVA. I think that I have now arrived at the considered conclusion that we were discriminated against in favor of some Taiwanese people by EVA, so this is what has been on my mind since arriving in Thailand. I may be filing official complaints with the both the LA City Department of Airports and the FAA's Office of Civil Rights after returning to the USA, because there are both Federal laws and City codes against this type of discrimination

For the last five years I have bought many tickets from you to Asia only on EVA. I fly there several times a years. I have, also, as you know, referred many people to you to buy EVA tickets. Several trips ago things with EVA began to change and I have addressed those issues with you in the past. I cannot express to you in words how disappointed and disgusted I am at this moment with EVA. The flight attendants are wonderful and always most helpful, my issue is either with their corporate policy and/or the discriminatory behavior of their LAX ticket agents in assigning seating.

As you will remember from our conversions before this trip, I discussed with you in your office EVA's LA ticket agents repeated attempted to seat me and my travel companions against the bulkhead/toilet wall even thought we had other reserved seats. And that it was always an issue of showing them our seat numbers and then someone fumbled around and like magic they found us not our reserved seats, but other equally good seating, and always it was Taiwanese businessmen setting in the reserved seats that I had already paid for. You will also remember that at that time you gave me the tickets for the NOV 30 flight I expressed two concerns with you about our NOV 30 FLT 1 to Taipei and FLT 67 to Bangkok, concern one being that without reserved seats that we would get the bulkhead toilet row, concern two being that EVA's LAX ticket agents engage in profiling and/or other illegal discriminatory practices when assigning seating on their planes. I have noted, and said to you in your office, that almost without exception the people sitting on the toilet wall are either very old Asian people or white people that are the one time tourist type: in other words the kind of clients they don't care about and can easily get away with discriminating against without consequences.

We paid for Elite Deluxe seats but what we got was not only much less that Elite Deluxe seats, it was less than economy seats. It was TOILET SEATS. Row 27 seats F&G on a 777 should not be sold they should pay people to sit in them. I consider the money that I paid for these seats to have been stolen from me. The service promised by EVA was absolutely not delivered.

I had the worst airline travel experience of my life on this EVA flight, and I have traveled the world for many many years. We spent not only 14 hours to Taipei in those toilet seats, they gave us exactly the same toilet seats for an added 4 hours from Taipei to Bangkok. So, in total we spent 18 hours with a very loud toilet flushing within two feet of our heads, and all of the smells that go with a bathroom periodically whiffing through our nostrils.

I want to explain to you in detail what sitting in one of those seats is like...And I challenge any EVA executive to sit in either of those two seats for 18 hours and then look me straight in the eye and tell me that it was not a terrible experience and that I don't deserve an apology and refund.

For 18 hours you have a very loud toilet flushing nearly continuously within two feet of your head which makes rest and sleep nearly impossible, but that was only the beginning of the flight from hell. Every time the door opens the smell of either the deodorizer used in the bathroom, deodorant, hair spray, or human waste is smelled. Also, 777's are not larger enough to accommodate people standing waiting for the bathroom, so for much of the flight you have people standing with their buttocks' within inches of your face chatting and passing gas. Then to add to the misery the magazine rack is less than one foot from the top of your head, so people are leaning over you reaching for and looking through the magazines, but the real fun is when they return the magazines: they simply drop them in the rack making another loud unexpected banging sound with in inches of your head. Now moving right along on this flight from hell lets chat about the fact that row 27 is the last to be served at all times by the flight attendants, so for both dinner and breakfast they were out of all but the least desirable food when they reached us. For dinner Gary had a tofu something that was not good and I didn't have dinner, I ate only the side dished. At breakfast the only item left by the time they reached row 27 was Chinese porridge, which most people with western taste just simply do not like the taste of, so no breakfast either, side dishes only.

I am told that EVA is seeking a larger share of the American travel market to Asia. My question to EVA is, If this is how they routinely treat a customer that has been flying them for years and has been sending new clients to my travel agents to buy EVA tickets how do you think you will ever capture a larger share of the American travel market?

February 6th, 2008, 09:04
DELETED

fedssocr
February 6th, 2008, 09:31
if you've had so many problems with EVA why do you keep flying with them? You've got tons of other choices from LA to BKK.

Aunty
February 6th, 2008, 09:47
Well that was very helpful, John, not.

Soi 10 Tom, I'm not sure you'll make much progress trying to take a case of discrimination based on the fact you were placed in the toilet seats. Someone has to sit there. And as a foreign airline, and the fact that you have left the United States, US anti-discrimination/profiling laws may simply not apply. However, if you had paid for deluxe economy seats, had been given a confirmation of your booking and confirmed seating arrangements in deluxe economy and these were subsequently not provided to you, that is a clear breach of contract and you would have a case to take against EVA. You may not get a full refund, only the difference between economy and what you paid for economy deluxe, but I'd go for a full refund and compensation for the hellish journey, particularly if this resulted in you suffering some sort of monetary loss. Take em to court!

Zyxel-old
February 6th, 2008, 10:22
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eva_Ai ... 77-300.php (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eva_Airways/Eva_Airways_Boeing_777-300.php)

Worth checking this site before you book. The seats mentioned in the letter are definitely in the Premium Economy section and labeled
"Be aware".

thaiworthy-old
February 6th, 2008, 10:22
Well, this was quite a story. I had a interesting experience with EVA as well. Just recently, in fact.

I had a fight with the ticket agent about seating. I showed him my paperwork and where my pre-assigned seat was supposed to be, because he hadn't printed it on the boarding pass. He tried to persuade me to take it, he said, because these seats were further up, but in the middle aisle. Sometimes I like to sit in the window seat. This was one of those times.

He didn't seem like he knew what he was doing. He fussed with the computer software to try and make it right, but it wouldn't let him put me in the assigned seat. Again, he tried to persuade me to take the other seat. I got madder and madder and carried on. Finally, he went to go get his boss, who started pecking away at the keys. I swear, I do not know what info they put into the airline's computer system, but they type and type and type forever, like it was my life history they were putting in there. This was one of those times.

Meanwhile, times marches on. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock. I look at my watch and fidget nervously, trying to calm down. When will they be boarding, will I make it on time? The nerve of them trying to pull a fast one on me. I am not stupid. I know what's going on, those dirty bastards!

Finally, the boss presses his last keypress. The melodic sound of a new boarding pass being printed. Eureka! My seat at last. Screw you, Eva, you stinking dirty bastards. (I like calling them dirty bastards, you see, it makes me feel better.) Those dirty bastards!

Finally, finally, finally, I get to the gate. First time on Eva. First time in Evergreen Deluxe Class. I was getting goosepimbles on my goosepimples. This trip was going to be fun. I knew it would be one of those times.

I found my seat and looked around. On no . . . the seat I fought so hard for. My special, new, first-time Evergreen Deluxe seat! It was against the bulkhead, there was a magazine rack, and 2 feet away a lav door.

It was one of the toilet seats. Dreaded row 27. It was just going to be one of those flights.

Bob
February 6th, 2008, 10:47
I've flown EVA a dozen round trip flights to asia (out of LAX) before and I've never had a problem. I reserved my own seats (I have flown evergreen deluxe or elite each time) and had no problem getting those reserved seats. Am flying EVA again in 2 days and expect the same level of service.
I did move once voluntarily to allow a young couple to sit together. The attendant asked me nicely about it and said I had no obligation to move at all (I chose to because the seat I went to was fine).
So, while I'm not sure of why this happened to this poster but I've had no complaints at all.

February 6th, 2008, 11:40
... so for much of the flight you have people standing with their buttocks' within inches of your face ...

What were you wearing at LAX? :queen:

How did you behave with 'Gary'? :love6:

What was your body language? :bootyshake:

Maybe the check in staff recognized you as a gay man and thought that this is precisely what you required for a happy flight. :ky:

TrongpaiExpat
February 6th, 2008, 11:52
You select the seat from the web site. EVA does not select the seat and if you did not or if your travel agent did not bother some low level desk jockey at the airport selected or re-selected for you. In my opinion your law suit has no proof of discrimination, it's just bad luck. Now, if you find some EVA employee that says it's routine practice to give preference to certain people because of race, age or nationality, you night have something.

I have used EVA 4 times and plan on using them again and I have selected a seat and have never been changed. I print it out from the web site with the seat selection. If it I get something different, I have that as proof. I doubt they would move me to row 27 without some compensation in miles or money.

February 6th, 2008, 11:57
I love sitting up against a bulk head (by the way I also thought the tone of this letter was pompous) I feel it gives more protection should the plane fall out of the sky. I never get a bulkhead sadly.

What I have noticed is discrimination against gay couples.
You book a flight with your partner/companion/lover and they will seperate you because you are two men, and put a breeding couple in your place. That makes me see red. Same with upgrading. On my last long distance flight I was standing there actually checking in with my friend when the bitch tried to upgrade me to first class, but not my friend!
For points I always try and fly the same airways, that last example was Cathay Pacific, so it sometimes feels like they have you by the balls.

This sort of behaviour is unacceptable. This has happened quite a few times, most often I have simply declined the offer of an upgrade, but the last time I flew into a rage, and we eventually both went first class all the way to Africa, munching caviar and tossing around on vast flat beds covered in Irish linen.
But you would think in this day and age of heightened political correctness and happy holidays that this sort of thing would be avoided at training level. Maybe if enough of us complain they might start to rethink their ways.

I think writing in and complaining about sitting behind a toilet is just a waste of energy.

Marsilius
February 6th, 2008, 12:07
I do think that there may be a more general problem with Asian airlines assuming that they can impose customary Asian standards and behaviour on passengers even when they are on the soil - in this case LAX - and hence within the legal jurisdiction of a foreign country that makes discrimination illegal.

My own problem (in practice more trivial than Soi 10 Tom's, though just as offensive in principle) occured with Thai Airways. On the days when I used to fly with them, on landing at London Heathrow it was the practice for the flight attendants to give a rather beautiful orchid flower to each passenger - but only those who were women. Attempts to persuade them to give me one (a little extra token memento for the flower-loving female waiting to collect me from the airport) proved utterly fruitless and obstructing a long line of fellow passengers while you attempt to argue your case at the exit from the plane is not advised.

While Thai Airways can follow whatever policy they want in Asia or in the air, by this point in time the plane was (literally) on UK soil and as such subject to UK law that expressly forbids such discrimination on grounds of gender. Shame on you, Thai!

[Interestingly enough, last year Etihad ground crew at Heathrow repeatedly attempted to persuade my partner and me to give up our conjoined seats in one of their Business Class sleeping "pods" in favour of a straight married couple. Things got quite heated until we told them that, as a couple in a legally recognised UK Civil Partnership ("gay marriage"), they would probably be rendering themselves liable to legal action by discriminating against us in that way. That did the trick - although I am not certain of the wisdom of deploying the same argument in negotiating seats on the connecting flight leg from moslem Abu Dhabi to Bangkok!]

February 6th, 2008, 12:24
I will be flying EVA in about 6 weeks from Bangkok to USA and return about 30 days later. I have flown EVA several times with no complaints. I have always flown Evergreen Deluxe (747) or Elite (777). You can select your seat online or by telephone up to 100 days before departure date. The seating chart shows row 27 to be just in front of the lavatories rather than behind them. Prior to selecting seats for EVA or any airline, you might want to consult www.seatguru.com (http://www.seatguru.com) - this website shows the seating for most airlines by type of aircraft they use. Their charts use "red" to denote bad seats and "yellow" to denote seats that have some aspect you need to be aware of. Putting the mouse cursor over the seat results in a popup that shows why the seat is considered to be bad or the item you need to be aware of -- All seats in row 27 are colored yellow and when highlighted contain the following message: ". . .are in the Premium Economy section but may have limited recline and the proximity of the lavatories can be bothersome."

February 6th, 2008, 12:52
I do think that there may be a more general problem with Asian airlines assuming that they can impose customary Asian standards and behaviour on passengers even when they are on the soil

Hmm yes you are absolutely right Marsilius it makes you feel like Don Quixote de la Mancha. They are still bitches. BRW I always take the whole branch of orchids from the toilet or the tray.
What makes it worse is that most know you are a couple, only the proufoundly dumb can't see that, Asian or not, and certainly it is clear you are travelling together when you are standing together starring her in the face and have requested seats together.

Is there no international airline code of conduct? This way passengers can choose who to fly with based on the airlines policy, some are even allied with airways that do indeed come from countries with anti-discrimination laws?

February 6th, 2008, 13:59
DELETED

February 6th, 2008, 14:22
I have flown many times with EVA to and from London and found their Evergreen DeLuxe very comfortable though service standards have been on the decline. The Elite service on Boeing 777s I found less comfortable seats and less space and their was a hiatus in service though this seems to have been redressed somewhat.

I have found that prime seats are rarely available on the online booking system. When asking for prime seats I have been told that they are being held back incase a baby appears or a Gold Card holder asks for them. On a couple of occasions they allocated me a less desirable seat on check-in and then switched me when I arrived at the departure lounge.

The toilet seats sound awful and really should not be sold as a DeLuxe or Elite product in my opinion. I think that this your main cause for complaint and you should get a discount or some benefit from EVA.

All airlines have VIP customers with gold cards, frequent flyer and similar. These tend to be business men as they travel more frequently than most. That's life.

If you want to complain then do so but I suggest calm down the language "discrimination" and "illegal practices" are not going to go down well. Concentrate on the fact that the seats you received were terrible and the service also.

It might be well to suggest that you are giving them the chance to make redress before publishing details of your unfortunate experiences on www.airlinequality.com (http://www.airlinequality.com) on the internet.

Aunty
February 6th, 2008, 16:10
W You may not get a full refund, only the difference between economy and what you paid for economy deluxe, but I'd go for a full refund and compensation for the hellish journey, particularly if this resulted in you suffering some sort of monetary loss. Take em to court!

Wake up Aunty, why would he take them to court? He got his Elite class seat. Well that wasn't apparent from Soi 10 Tom's original post which gave me the impression that he had been bumped from Elite deluxe altogether. It only became apparent to me that this was not the case when zyexl's posted his link to seatguru. Nevertheless, Soi 10 Tom may still have a case if he has brought his tickets on the condition that he was to be given certain seats (and he has documents to prove it such as tickets/letters confirming his allocated seats), and when he turned up he didn't get them.

He has not suffered any discrimination. Probably not, but we don't actually know that, so therefore we can't claim or assume it didn't happen! After all what is the airline's explanation for changing Soi 10 Tom's seats? But to bring an action on the grounds of discrimination would require proof, and Soi 10 Tom doesn't appear to have any evidence for it.

February 6th, 2008, 16:36
As with all airlines, check the small print - there will always be a get-out clause for the carrier. In this case here is the wording from Eva Air regarding seat allocation:

"Although carrier will try to accommodate your seating need or Advance Seat Selection, carrier does not guarantee you any, or any particular seat, even if your reservation is confirmed."

I know of no airline which categorically GUARANTEES that the seat you pre-booked is the one you will DEFINITELY get.

Lunchtime O'Booze
February 6th, 2008, 18:27
but actor Ralph Fiennes swears by the toilet as the best place to travel by air :sex:

February 6th, 2008, 19:10
... complain and let others know. It's very annoying I know, and as you said the stewards/esses were ok. If you send them a letter as you have done so then wait for the reply and see what they do about it.

At the end of the day, these flights to BKK are choc a bloc these days, every day, a few years ago at least there used to be a few seats / rows available, but today they are absolutely packed as I say, and some people are obviously going to be disappointed.

thaiworthy-old
February 6th, 2008, 20:33
... complain and let others know. It's very annoying I know, and as you said the stewards/esses were ok. If you send them a letter as you have done so then wait for the reply and see what they do about it.

At the end of the day, these flights to BKK are choc a bloc these days, every day, a few years ago at least there used to be a few seats / rows available, but today they are absolutely packed as I say, and some people are obviously going to be disappointed.

I don't know if it does any good to complain. I'm mentally exhausted after a complaint and it sets a troublesome tone for the rest of the trip. These days I just get the cheapest economy seat I can find and grin and bear it. It shouldn't be like this, but it is and I have no fight left in me to do otherwise. Even a business class seat has its problems.

I was upgraded once on a flight within the US, only to be asked to move back to tourist class because the guy whose seat they gave me finally showed up. That happened twice, outbound and then inbound. Another time I was on NW business class, trying to sleep on the long trip from Minneapolis to Toyko. The lady in the seat next to me kept jabbing me hard with her fingers, poking me in my side. She did this several times. I kindly asked her to stop, to which she replied, "Your snoring is keeping me awake. If I can't sleep, then you shouldn't either." Later we met up in the lounge after the plane landed, to wait for the connection to BKK. She said, "you better hope we don't sit together again." I told her "You touch me again and I'm going to break both of your arms!"

I seen fights almost break out, "air rage" as they call it, over one little thing or another. Unruly children running amok, obnoxious teenagers, and people with colds, sneezing and blowing their germs in my face. And then I arrive in Thailand having developed my own cold for the entire stay.

Flying is not a pleasant experience. No matter what you do, shit will happen. Now I just pray for an aisle seat (no more window seats for me) and take my sleeping pills. If you haven't experienced things like these in your flying lifetime, you have been very, very lucky.

thrillbill
February 6th, 2008, 21:26
I find this topic interesting...but I wrote something last week which ALSO had nothing to do with "gay Thailand" and it was moved. So why isn't this post moved ?

Marsilius
February 6th, 2008, 21:34
Much of this thread is specifically to do with flights to Thailand... and at least most - if not all - of us are gay...

February 6th, 2008, 22:13
most - if not all - of us are gay...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/eek.gif You mean that there really are some here that are not? In case you may think that I am being facetious asking you that question, let me assure you that I am not.

George.

Marsilius
February 6th, 2008, 22:26
There was - just to pick one example - the guy who posted recently asking for advice on where his son ought to stay in Bangkok: http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 13722.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/bangkok-hotel-advice-t13722.html)

I'm assuming that the father is straight (and the son certainly was.)

Plus - there must be lots of bisexual guys who visit the board to indulge their male-appreciation instincts...

February 6th, 2008, 22:39
There was - just to pick one example - the guy who posted recently asking, I think, for advice on where his son ought to stay in Bangkok.

I'm assuming that the father is straight (and I seem to recall that the son was, too.)

I remember that the son was straight, however as a father myself, I believe it would be dangerous to assume that the father was just because he has sired children and don't remember him stating so.

My own son's by the way and for your information, have no problem whatsoever with my being gay. In fact, they are quite sympathetic and understanding, knowing the woman very well that was responsible for turning me that way. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif

George.

February 7th, 2008, 04:58
I found Eva were every helpful from London<==>BKK & hope to fly with them again this year.
Got to sit precisely where I wanted both ways, good service & so on.
Nice food, they remembered my special meal & so on -much better than BA.

Most customers seemed to be Farang.

February 7th, 2008, 05:08
I find this topic interesting...but I wrote something last week which ALSO had nothing to do with "gay Thailand" and it was moved. So why isn't this post moved ?Jinks is a fickle Moderator. Get over it

February 7th, 2008, 05:33
My own son's by the way and for your information, have no problem whatsoever with my being gay. In fact, they are quite sympathetic and understanding, knowing the woman very well that was responsible for turning me that way. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/GeorgeThai/biglaugh.gif
George.

What are you telling us? ... Was she a 'Bottom' ???????????

February 7th, 2008, 08:06
"Although carrier will try to accommodate your seating need or Advance Seat Selection, carrier does not guarantee you any, or any particular seat, even if your reservation is confirmed."

I know of no airline which categorically GUARANTEES that the seat you pre-booked is the one you will DEFINITELY get.

Though I sympathize with Soi10tom, what YardenUK says is correct. There's no guarantee.
But the problem was made much worse by the lousy seat you got instead.
I would probably complain also, though not as strongly. Maybe something along the lines of :

"I was disappointed not getting my assigned seat and extremely disappointed by my new seat assignment. The experience was not up to the standard I have so often enjoyed in the past with your airline...."etc etc.

After all, you might get a "so sorry" gift like a free upgrade or some extra miles for the next trip.

Smiles
February 7th, 2008, 09:13
" ... 777's are not larger enough to accommodate people standing waiting for the bathroom, so for much of the flight you have people standing with their buttocks' within inches of your face chatting and passing gas. ... "
Given such an experience, I gather Homintern's next flight will be with EVA.

Cheers ....

Zyxel-old
February 7th, 2008, 10:40
Which seat will you choose on this plane ?

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singap ... s_A380.php (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/Singapore_Air_Airbus_A380.php)

Economy seats are 1" wider and aisles are wide enough not to be blocked completely by the food trolley when meals are served.
Unfortunately, economy seats don't recline more than in other planes.
Lower deck might feel less cramped than the upper one, I think, since the ceiling is flat.
As for now, I do like Thaiworthy, aisle seat and sleeping pills (plus ear plugs and eye shade).

Marsilius
February 7th, 2008, 17:18
I have never tried sleeping pills but have been sorely tempted on these long, boring flights.

What do you use/recommend, Zyxel, and in what dosage?

Zyxel-old
February 7th, 2008, 18:53
Xanax or any thing with Alprazolam inside (ex: Moxinax). It is a relaxant. Can be bought without prescription here. Try 0.5 mg first. I use 1mg when in a plane and 0.5mg when sometimes I cannot fall asleep but it is rare. Check on the Internet for more details but it is a pretty safe drug ( according to my pharmacist and the Internet). Supposedly not addictive like some other sleeping pills. Usually here if you ask for something to sleep in the plane they will sell you anti-seasickness pills (or is it airsickness in this case?)

Marsilius
February 7th, 2008, 19:39
Thanks for the advice. Maybe such a pill would make even sitting next to the lavatory slightly more bearable!

francois
February 8th, 2008, 14:27
Xanax or any thing with Alprazolam inside (ex: Moxinax). It is a relaxant. Can be bought without prescription here. Try 0.5 mg first. I use 1mg when in a plane and 0.5mg when sometimes I cannot fall asleep but it is rare. Check on the Internet for more details but it is a pretty safe drug ( according to my pharmacist and the Internet). Supposedly not addictive like some other sleeping pills. Usually here if you ask for something to sleep in the plane they will sell you anti-seasickness pills (or is it airsickness in this case?)

Xanax is a controlled substance in the US and possession without a prescription is illegal. Don't try bringing any quantity of it into the US! A couple of pills for the flight may be ok but otherwise a no-no. And do not use it in conjunction with alcohol as the effects are cumulative. It can be addictive and is a favorite of druggies but is great for anxiety. Just ask Heath Ledger! Cost about 20 Baht/pill in Thailand.

Best sleeping pill for flights is Sonata 10 mg which is available by prescription but not likely available in Thailand. Ask your family doctor for a few samples. It is good for a few hours, just relaxes you and doesn't knock you out and no after effects and can be taken with alcohol in moderation. When you awake you can always take another if you have another four or more hours to go. Definitely do not take Ambien as it can make you very groggy even after 8 hours.

February 8th, 2008, 15:57
is one available in Thailand. I think you must get it from a clinic, not sure. It contains zolpidem tartrate and is from France, When I ran out of Ambien, I took it.

I use Ambien for my trips and it does not make me groggy but may others. It is advised that you get 8 hours sleep or should not take it for short flights. But as always if you have any medical condition check with a doctor. Some sleeping pills when mixed with certain medications may be lethal.

TrongpaiExpat
February 8th, 2008, 19:08
Xanax or any thing with Alprazolam inside (ex: Moxinax). It is a relaxant. Can be bought without prescription here.

OK, you would mind telling exactly where? PM me if you don't want to post the location.

Thanks

February 8th, 2008, 21:41
Xanax or any thing with Alprazolam inside (ex: Moxinax). It is a relaxant. Can be bought without prescription here. OK, you would mind telling exactly where? PM me if you don't want to post the location.Courtesy of the New York city coroner, we all know now which 6 pills, taken in combination, can kill you fairly peacefully (well, they killed Heath Ledger). The Voluntary Euthanasia Society must be overjoyed - and maybe Pattaya's favourite form of Foreigner Unassisted Suicide (jumping off the condo balcony) will decline and something rather less messy take its place

February 8th, 2008, 22:51
Quote: My own son's by the way and for your information, have no problem whatsoever with my being gay. In fact, they are quite sympathetic and understanding, knowing the woman very well that was responsible for turning me that way.

What a pathetic piece of sh*t you are - into blaming someone for you being gay - "turning me that way" - you should be posting on a resentment or self loathing forum and leave us queers to enjoy ourselves

thaiworthy-old
February 9th, 2008, 02:27
is one available in Thailand. I think you must get it from a clinic, not sure. It contains zolpidem tartrate and is from France, When I ran out of Ambien, I took it.

I use Ambien for my trips and it does not make me groggy but may others. It is advised that you get 8 hours sleep or should not take it for short flights. But as always if you have any medical condition check with a doctor. Some sleeping pills when mixed with certain medications may be lethal.

My doctor prescribed Ambien too and I also do not get groggy. It is very pleasant. He also said it was addictive, but I have not had any further anxiety for it other than for sleeping on planes. He gives me 10 pills which lasts me easily for trips to Thailand twice a year.

February 9th, 2008, 02:42
I think that the earlier one checks in the better chance one has of getting the seat they reserved. Things get problematic when the passenger shows up at the last minute and they have assumed it is a "no show" and give someone else the seat. Airlines regularly overbook and it is worth the effort to just arrive early, get checked in, and wait it out. That is not to say Eva and other airlines do not play games with the seat assignments by moving what might appear as a single passenger to another seat if there are couples or groups traveling together. I just always get there early for the transpacific flights as I want the seat I reserved.

I once had an experience of getting on a flight (redeye) from Honolulu to Los Angeles. I got to my seat and found an incredible obese man in the asile seat (I had the window). I tried to get another seat but the plane was packed. I suffered thru 4/5 hours of shear hell and quite honesly the guy next to me knew we had a problem and leaned forward almost the entire flight to make me less uncomfortable. When we arrived and were getting off the plane I found his equally obese wife was in the asile seat across from him. The could not sit side by side. I swore then that if something like this ever happened again I would get off the plane and take another flight no matter if it cost me a reticketing charge or not. They could then delay the departure, go into the cargo hold, find my luggage, and remove it as they won't let the plane go with the luggage and not the passenger.

I figure I paid for a full 17 inches of seat width (or whatever) and I want all of it.

bing
February 9th, 2008, 03:06
Wow, do I agree with Bob. I am about 150 pounds and not slim by a long shot, but I do fit into a normal seat easlily, and it does bother me when the person next to me feels he has the right to a portion of my seat. It does take some of the fun out of a trip when that happens.

February 12th, 2008, 11:59
Anyone that is still flying EVA from LAX to BKK now that Thai has a non-stop for the same price, has much bigger problems LOL
Seriously, I used to FLY EVA to BKK from LAX and never had them attempt to reassign my seats. One non-stop flight on Thai and I will never return to EVA or anyother flight that requires a change of plane. Thai's service is fantastic and the premium economy seats on Thai's A340-500 are more comfortable and roomier thans EVA's economy deluxe (elite). Everyone that I know that I have persuaded to try Thais' non-stop flight is 100% sold on it and will not go back to EVA, China Air, United etc. You can tell its popular because the flights are always completely full.

PeterUK
February 12th, 2008, 12:24
Do these impressive-sounding sleeping pills remove all thoughts of metal fatigue? If not, they won't work on me.

TrongpaiExpat
February 12th, 2008, 13:58
Anyone that is still flying EVA from LAX to BKK now that Thai has a non-stop for the same price, has much bigger problems LOL
Seriously, I used to FLY EVA to BKK from LAX and never had them attempt to reassign my seats. One non-stop flight on Thai and I will never return to EVA or anyother flight that requires a change of plane. Thai's service is fantastic and the premium economy seats on Thai's A340-500 are more comfortable and roomier thans EVA's economy deluxe (elite). Everyone that I know that I have persuaded to try Thais' non-stop flight is 100% sold on it and will not go back to EVA, China Air, United etc. You can tell its popular because the flights are always completely full.

EVA now on some flight is using a 777 to LAX and the seat in Business is a shell seat, good recline (ski slope) and comfortable. The Thai eco delux seat in the A340-500's does not recline far and there is no foot rest, you feet are on the floor.

I like the no plane change with Thai and you get there faster but the EVA seat is far better. Food better on Thai too in my opinion but for me it's all about the seat's comfort.

Marsilius
February 12th, 2008, 14:08
I and my travelling companions were certainly not impressed by those EVA Business Class "good recline (ski slope)" seats. We all keep sliding down them throughout the flight.

Etihad Business Class, for one, uses completely horizontal flat-bed seats in Business Class and they offer an infinitely more natural and comfortable experience.

TrongpaiExpat
February 12th, 2008, 14:16
Yes, Marsilius but we were talking about options for a BKK/LAX not UK. Etihad does not work on that route and a UK stop-over is expensive.

The airlines that use the sky slope seats in Business in my opinion are just trying to justify and distinguish first class from Business. There's room for full decline but they don't, why? Because, who would pay for first class if Business was just as comfortable?

February 13th, 2008, 03:23
Few are prepared to pay for first class.
If the business class is substandard, then people will just change airlines.

Eva do at least have more leg room in economy than some airlines I have had the misfortune to sample.
I thought about paying the ┬г600 or so extra that is required to upgrade from economy to business but went for economy.