PDA

View Full Version : Vegetables

February 5th, 2008, 00:18
Where is the best place to buy good quality vegetables.

It surprises me to find in the UK there is a lot of produce such as french beans that sort of thing that are in the supermarkets, but can't find the same thing in Pattaya. Even the cauliflower here is rotten.

February 5th, 2008, 00:30
I always get thai friends to get veg for me - they have a knack to find the freshest- of course its in their best interest too as they usually have to eat them with me!

February 5th, 2008, 04:38
Villa or Foodland

jvt22222
February 5th, 2008, 07:17
........... cannot beat the new Villa Market at The Avenue .............. also can get very good quality at the local markets throughout town such as on South Pattaya Road across from Wat Chai.

February 6th, 2008, 07:07
Villa is fantastic, also Jomtien market is very good for fresh fruits and vegetables (not so much for meats, however). Tesco Lotus is the worst, by miles, however the new Tesco Lotus Express (behind Numchai) had quite a nice selection when I went by earlier this week.

February 6th, 2008, 12:01
Where is the best place to buy good quality vegetables.

It surprises me to find in the UK there is a lot of produce such as french beans that sort of thing that are in the supermarkets, but can't find the same thing in Pattaya. Even the cauliflower here is rotten.

Teach you for shopping at Tesco's.

February 7th, 2008, 03:36
... how dare you ... I work near a Waitrose and a Marks & Spencer live near a Sainsburys - and a Tesco for that matter.

I still do Tescos now and again, but the one where I live is trash. Stick to me Waitrose.

February 7th, 2008, 07:58
Guys,

Please, Thailand is full of vegetables plenty of both Thai and Western!!

TrongpaiExpat
February 7th, 2008, 12:30
WhiteD: Is that a zucchini in your chute chutenois or are you just looking for vegetables? I can fathom why a visitor on holiday is looking for vegetables? You travel with cook ware?

Speaking of zucchinis, I just bought some nice ones at Foodland, Patpong, Bangkok. Better than Villa.

Diec
February 7th, 2008, 15:31
This is a great post. As a newbie to this community I think it very important to know where to get fresh wholesome vegetables so that we can all eat healthy.

February 7th, 2008, 15:49
WhiteD: Is that a zucchini in your chute chutenois or are you just looking for vegetables? I can fathom why a visitor on holiday is looking for vegetables? You travel with cook ware?

Speaking of zucchinis, I just bought some nice ones at Foodland, Patpong, Bangkok. Better than Villa.

I'm not a visitor anymore

February 7th, 2008, 18:19
This is all very confusing. WD is not a visitor anymore but

I work near a Waitrose and a Marks & Spencer live near a Sainsburys

I'd no idea they'd opened branches in Thailand. Where?

February 7th, 2008, 21:03
... past tense, I still have my property and job in the UK, but not working there at the moment - and working on my options, I'm in SE Asia atm. Let's see what evolves over the next few weeks.

TrongpaiExpat
February 8th, 2008, 23:19

I know for certain about a dozen or so posters that actually live in Thailand and another hand full that visit but most of the rest I suspect are posting from the day room of some mental facility.

February 9th, 2008, 01:19
I know for certain about a dozen or so posters that actually live in Thailand and another hand full that visit but most of the rest I suspect are posting from the day room of some mental facility.Hence the thread title

February 9th, 2008, 02:03

I know for certain about a dozen or so posters that actually live in Thailand and another hand full that visit but most of the rest I suspect are posting from the day room of some mental facility.

You might know a dozen or so posters that actually live in Thailand Trongpai, the rest I suspect are not in any day room, I suspect they don't want to know you!!

On a separate note, there is only so much information I would put on this board about myself.

February 9th, 2008, 02:24
On a separate note, there is only so much information I would put on this board about myself.But we can all see the love handles :compress:

February 9th, 2008, 04:18
..... love handles - what an assssssssssset to have!!

February 11th, 2008, 11:14
... how dare you ... I work near a Waitrose and a Marks & Spencer live near a Sainsburys - and a Tesco for that matter.

I still do Tescos now and again, but the one where I live is trash. Stick to me Waitrose.

Good boy, but you can't do the same in Thailand, not after you've taken your medication at any rate. But should you be tempted into Tesco's in Thailand anytime, remember, it's worse than your local used to be, and they are trading in unfair practises, monopolising, no in fact destroying the livelihoods of local traders selling that excellent fresh veg at markets you will no doubt be wanting to use.

Are you with us White desire? You know Camden burnt down hmmm? Where are you living sweetie? Just ask a boy-scout to take you home, they are I have heard very obliging, and very good with wheel chairs and curbs. Wouldn't meals on wheels be the way to go?

February 13th, 2008, 21:30
... anyway, yes, I'm all for supporting local produce and local businesses. However, some of these local businesses have lost the plot. Have you seen some of the food street vendors sell uhh. Even markets these days are below standard. When in London I went to a local store to buy some organic stuff, you wouldn't give your dog some of the fruit and veg I saw for sale. Now, if you go to a supermarket, they generally have sell by dates on their produce, need I say more.

There are major problems with some local businesses, well certainly in the UK, they don't give a **** about what they sell you. Small independent shops where I lived in London - I would never eat. I generally only eat in restaurants that are busy, because there is a constant turnaround of food, it probably doesn't hang around in the premises too long.

It really surprises me that local businesses (when it comes to food) have not moved on when it comes to selling food and the like - they are still selling produce like 50 years ago. If I owned a local food business, I know how I would sell produce, but I'm not.

However, I always support local businesses when it comes to buying newspapers, biscuits chocy hair cuts that sort of thing. Do you support your local hairdresser Cedric when you get your fanny trimmed??